Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2008, 15:02   #136
Team-BHP Support

Today is day 31 since I stopped smoking.
To increase and maintain my motivation I read up on smoking every day.

I would never smoke at my house or on holidays.
So that basically meant I would only when I was at office.

What I found reading about smoking on line is that nicotine influences the blood sugar levels. It means if you feel hungry and have a smoke you dont feel hungry anymore. That is because your blood sugar level is now being regulated by nicotine and not by the body's natural mechanism.

This info has nothing to add to this discussion on the topic at hand.
But I used to smoke in office whenever I felt hungry and did not have enough time to eat.
Next time you light up at office because you are hungry, think about this.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2008, 15:13   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
because education is quite different from wisdom.
Absolutely.

I have a friend. Post grad. 24 years of age. With a congenital heart condition. Smokes half a pack of cigs daily. Has been told by doc that he's SURELY getting a heart attack by the age of 30. He has left cigarettes - every day for the past year. commonsense is quite uncommon.

Quote:
on the other hand, Ive seen many 'illiterate' people with such wisdom that it would put us all to shame.
I once spent a single day with farmers near bhavnagar, gujarat. Their simplistic understanding of "taka" as a means of all sorts of transactions made us ashamed city slickers.
Old 3rd October 2008, 15:14   #138
Distinguished - BHPian

I have been reading about how education should make us all aware of the ill-effects of smoking and more.
I'd just like to inform you that it is mostly educated people that die of Alcohol poisoning, obesity, anorexia and bulimia. The uneducated are mostly blissfully unaware of terms like Anorexia/Bulimia.
In fact eating unhealthy food (excessive oil, sugar, salt, meat and more) makes us fat and shortens our lives. Increases our blood pressure and causes (often) irreparable damage to our heart and blood circulatory system.

I'd also like to inform you that more people die of blood pressure and heart problems than lung cancer. MANY educated, MANY due to eating unhealthy food, despite education. I don't see educated people making a beeline for the vegetables, salad and sugar-free juice. Of course they know that it's good for them and fatty, fried food is not.

Education has nothing to do with choices.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2008, 15:37   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I'd also like to inform you that more people die of blood pressure and heart problems than lung cancer. MANY educated, MANY due to eating unhealthy food, despite education. I don't see educated people making a beeline for the vegetables, salad and sugar-free juice. Of course they know that it's good for them and fatty, fried food is not.

Education has nothing to do with choices.

I totally agree with what the Yeti has to say. At the age of 50 almost everyone of our populace suffers from BP or Diabetis. This is a fact and everyone can go look around to know it. STill nothing is done about it.
Well guess the doctors lobby at work huh
Old 3rd October 2008, 15:43   #140
Senior - BHPian

Agree with you so much

Do indians know what is"CIVIC sense" atleast majority wont!

I hate the guys who tap the cig ash from the car window as if the world outside is the ashtray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I think sometimes the message never gets across. A smoker is fine when he smokes in public and blows out smoke for other non smokers. Now talk about his family and i start getting rude and crude.

People should be taught to respect? i thought that was understood.

If smokers knew respect and showed some regard for others such laws wouldnt have been required in the first place.

PS: I stil ldont think i am rude or crude in anyway. Drive down EGL campus and see the mess the roads have been made into by the smokers smoking on the road now instead of the campus - cigratte butts and papers cups thrown all over and mind you these folks are from IBM, Microsoft and some majore comapnies all over the world. Talk about civic sense. Or are we going to police each person individaully?

Last edited by lohithrao : 3rd October 2008 at 15:45.
Old 3rd October 2008, 15:59   #141
BANNED

Everyone please note - the ban is to protect the health of non smokers.

Look at it this way - the law is to protect people from getting blown up by a suicide bomber - no one is stopping the suicide bomber from blowing himself up, just do it with fellow suicide bombers far away from innocent victims.

Now replace suicide bomber with smoker.

Last edited by Spitfire : 3rd October 2008 at 16:02.
Spitfire is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2008, 16:06   #142
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
Everyone please note - the ban is to protect the health of non smokers.

Look at it this way - the law is to protect people from getting blown up by a suicide bomber - no one asked the suicide bomber to stop from blowing himself up, just do it with fellow suicide bombers far away from innocent victims.

Now replace suicide bomber with smoker.
clearly, the law hasnt stopped suicide bombers from blowing themselves up in public and clearly, this new law will not stop smokers. 200 bucks in these days of high disposable incomes is a joke. and what about smoker cops?

this is a masterstroke to boost government revenues. first, they get a shipload of cash from people who make cigarettes and now, they will make shiploads more off of the people who smoke these things. I think Ambumani Ramadoss secretly works for the Dept of Treasury.
Old 3rd October 2008, 16:30   #143
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacmagic View Post
clearly, the law hasnt stopped suicide bombers from blowing themselves up in public and clearly, this new law will not stop smokers. 200 bucks in these days of high disposable incomes is a joke. and what about smoker cops?

this is a masterstroke to boost government revenues. first, they get a shipload of cash from people who make cigarettes and now, they will make shiploads more off of the people who smoke these things. I think Ambumani Ramadoss secretly works for the Dept of Treasury.
Solution is simple: stop smoking, if not for your health atleast for the above reasons. You dont smoke - they dont make money out of the law, they dont make money out of taxing cigrattes, they dont make money out of you smoking. Everyone's happy.

Smoking really isnt required to live.

But if you think your freedom is being taken for granted then suicide bombers in India have freedom too, until they caught. Just remember the law and try and be on its right side. No one will do anything to you. Its not like they are asking you to run a 5 km marathon or jump of the tallest building everytime you have to smoke. Do smoke but remember the law.

Similarly when we drive; do drive but remember the laws - no one is taking away your right to drive. Just dont go bumping into every other car, damage it and then say its my freedom to choose.

And 200 bucks my friend is quite an amount - atleast for me and a lot of fellow indians.

Last edited by Spitfire : 3rd October 2008 at 16:33.
Old 3rd October 2008, 16:45   #144
BHPian

Saw a couple of Traffic Inspectors issuing challans to smokers in Bangalore. Good to see them in action

Last edited by lambuhere1 : 3rd October 2008 at 16:45. Reason: typo error
Old 3rd October 2008, 16:58   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
actually, I think at least in one case (yours), Ramadoss was able to achieve his objective (popularity).
No, this kind of thinking is way too simplistic. I personally think that man reeks of high double standards. But that is neither here nor there, and not relevant to this discussion.

The discussion is more specific on the issues and I personally welcome this move. And yes, I am an occassional smoker myself. Well, may be more than occassional. ( there was that excellent point someone made about the lack of correlation between education,health, responsibility etc . And there is always that saying - do as i say and not as i do!)

More than once, I have seen the discomfort of people around me with smoke and I think non-smokers have the absolute right not to be subjected to smoke.

Yes, the law, in it's current state, will be difficult to implement and needs modifications. All that will happen in the due course of time.

But, I repeat, this is a ban with it's heart in the right place.

Last edited by sridharps : 3rd October 2008 at 17:11.
Old 3rd October 2008, 16:58   #146
Distinguished - BHPian

Man, we should make T-BHP meets non smoking now. That will be fun!!

Personally, I'm very very happy this ban has come into place. Now, I only hope it is enforced properly.
Old 3rd October 2008, 21:43   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikhilb2008 View Post
Man, we should make T-BHP meets non smoking now. That will be fun!!
Can't we consider a smoking lounge meant only for smokers and ex-smokers? But it can't be either near the entrance or near the exit.
Old 3rd October 2008, 22:12   #148
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Can't we consider a smoking lounge meant only for smokers and ex-smokers? But it can't be either near the entrance or near the exit.

Ehh? What's the point of that? That will again separate the smokers from the non-smokers. A TBHP meet is an occassion for noobs like me to interact and get a lot of gyaan from senior members. If I smoke and they dont and they stay away from me, what's the point?
Old 3rd October 2008, 23:06   #149
Senior - BHPian

anybody remembers the "bong" from kumar and harold -2. may be smokers can use something like that to store their smoke.

Smokeless Pipes --- Entheogenius

HELP! busted. smokeless pipes? - EDIT Forum - Lifestyle Discussion Community
Old 3rd October 2008, 23:07   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinayvtec View Post
Ho boy.. are you from analitics or from capacity planning department
Naah. Someone posted in another thread a study done by Tobacco companies to see how smoking ban at work places affects their sales. Similarly, companies did a study to see how smoking ban improves productivity. I can't find it now but I read a research paper some time back which had numbers on how many work hours are lost by companies due to employees taking a smoke break.

Of course, the negative effects on health were also considered. Afterall it is the company that ends up paying the hospital bills and also salary for medical leaves if the smoking employee falls sick.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks