Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2008, 23:10   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by muralisk View Post
While the intentions are good, but this is a clear intrusion in individual's personal space. When there are specific smoking zones, I see no reason make the entire campus a non-smoking area and asking the employees to get to the roads for a smoke. This is discrimination.
Hey, there are also rules about not having sex in office, not chewing paan or Gutka's etc. If it is a private company, it is not a discrimination.
Old 3rd October 2008, 23:30   #152
Senior - BHPian

The ban is non effective

Incident : Went to a Pan-Shop to fetch a ciggarette pack.
Took out my lighter, lit one .
Policeman came , says : You can't smoke here ( it was a market)

I offered him a ciggarette, He politely took it and asked for the lighter , i gave it to him.

He's Happy , M happy , Ban : NOT EFFECTIVE
Old 3rd October 2008, 23:38   #153
Senior - BHPian

Mayavi ji,

surely you jest. given your regular sensible posts, I wouldn't bother breaking it down how smoking is a clearly segregated process which neither disturbs the environment/people/cleanliness. Ofc, I see the smell issue though.
Old 4th October 2008, 23:14   #154
BHPian

Once Coke and Pepsi were in the soup,
now its the turn of ITC Ltd, and some offshore cig. companies to do the needful.

Enforcement? - India? - Politics? - Fair game?
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
The ban is non effective

I offered him a ciggarette, He politely took it and asked for the lighter , i gave it to him.

Enforcement - ???? - is a laughter in India

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th October 2008 at 10:54. Reason: Merging posts.
Old 6th October 2008, 10:43   #155
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionSwords View Post
Enforcement - ???? - is a laughter in India
Its all about self - discipline. But then we are asking for too much.
Old 6th October 2008, 12:05   #156
Team-BHP Support

@abhinav: almost similar incident happened in front of our office, was wondering if it was inside our premises, can we collect the fine from the cop also?

Jokes apart, enforcement is not very stern i guess, a VIP convoy was passing and lot of cops were on the road. People were cool and calm and smoking away without much bother.
Old 6th October 2008, 12:28   #157
Senior - BHPian

I'm ok with the not bothering other people with second hand smoke funda etc. But the way the rules have been laid out don't make full sense to me.

Smoking room with no services? What sense does that make? In any case, why would a non-smoker go into a smoking room to avail of a service that is otherwise available outside??
Old 6th October 2008, 14:43   #158
Senior - BHPian

I wonder why the mods have mixed up the MNC tobacco free campus with the draconian new regulations - that the MNCs are going one step further and making smoking almost a exercise/huge effort is separate from sh. ramadoss.
That said, here's some lovely wisdom from VA:
The War on Drugs is B* - Violent Acres

i need to dig up on that ole granpa who died recently aged 112, and smoking it up almost right till the end

Last edited by phamilyman : 6th October 2008 at 14:44.
Old 6th October 2008, 15:11   #159
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post

i need to dig up on that ole granpa who died recently aged 112, and smoking it up almost right till the end

Smoking and cancer link is not exactly like that.
You can have two brother. Both chain smokers. One may die at 30 of cancer and nothing happens to the other.

While medicine has learnt a lot it still does not know exactly what causes cancer. That is why all warning sound the same that your risk is x times that of a non smoker. But it does not say you will 100% get cancer.
Old 6th October 2008, 15:16   #160
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Smoking and cancer link is not exactly like that.
You can have two brother. Both chain smokers. One may die at 30 of cancer and nothing happens to the other.

While medicine has learnt a lot it still does not know exactly what causes cancer. That is why all warning sound the same that your risk is x times that of a non smoker. But it does not say you will 100% get cancer.

I myself know of a 22 year old who had cancer of the mouth (oral carcinoma), due to using Pan Masala. And a smoker who got cancer at 28.

Some people don't get cancer even till 80.

Exceptions are always there, people with very good immune system and who constantly exercise, eat natural foods, live in a relatively pollution free environments, are less prone to get the complications of smoking.

But i have also seen children in the best of health, having active lifestyle, suffer from childhood blood cancers.

The world is not flat.

Last edited by DCEite : 6th October 2008 at 15:18.
Old 6th October 2008, 21:56   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
The ban is non effective

Can't say the same in South India I guess. Was on the road for the past 3 days at Coimbatore, Kerala and came to Chennai only yesterday night.

Wherever we went, my friends got a real shocker when they came to know that cops have been troubling the smokers. This is evident as they tend to misinterpret the rules. Anyways, I see a HUGE decline in the number of smokers....
Old 6th October 2009, 15:10   #162
Team-BHP Support

It has been one year since this move, any quitters? Has this move benefited in keeping the air clean?

Most restaurants, pubs, bars, etc do not let you smoke anymore. Some let you smoke illegally.
Old 30th November 2009, 17:30   #163
BHPian

I see people smoking in public places as if no rule existed at all. A particular instance I came across about a week ago, shocked me.

I was visiting the airport to see my cousin off. It was about 2 AM or so. I was standing close to this Coffee Day outlet. I find so many people around me smoking away. Then I see this couple who were trying to cross the road to get to the airport. I guess they were leaving Bangalore because they were pushing a trolley with their luggage and little child on it. Suddenly they stop at the edge of the road, take out cigarettes, light it up and start puffing away as their little one watches them. Not only were they setting a lousy example for their child, but they were also seriously harming her by standing so close to her while smoking. Rule or no rule, people who love their children wouldn't do something like this. It was so disgusting for me and my wife who stood watching this from a distance.

Last edited by CBlazer : 30th November 2009 at 17:31.
Old 30th November 2009, 18:00   #164
BHPian

When are they going make an anti-spitting law? There's not an inch of land in this city that has not been annointed with generous gobs of saliva and phlegm.

Apart from painting the town red (pun intended) spitting also leads to spreading of diseases.
Old 30th November 2009, 18:33   #165
BHPian

I think the ban has worked wonders. Ofcourse there are exceptions in implementation. But by and large there is a difference everywhere. Especially in pubs. Now you can go to a pub for a chill beer and come back without your hair and shirt smelling of cigarette smoke
The other clear difference is in Coffee day and my workplace. In all a great move!

I agree with previous post. Pan masala/Ghutka should be next one to go.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks