Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2008, 10:25   #106
BHPian

I think it is too difficult to moniter such law, atleast in India. But the better side of this is that now you have the right to object if someone is smoking & you are not comfertable with it!

Good move indeed.
Old 3rd October 2008, 10:49   #107
BANNED

People are actually arguing and support smoking - wow.

To all the smokers, how many people have you guys pushed into being smokers? knowingly or unknowingly?

The word independence is a much abused term here in India.

And please all those bringing in pollution and other such stuff - please open a separate thread as to why you guys think all this is linked - this thread is about ban on smoking.

Wow i still cant believe folks actually voicing their thoughts against the ban. You guys should blow cigratte smoke in your family's face's(your 60 year old mother, your 6 month old baby) and then see what they think about the ban.
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:06   #108
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
People are actually arguing and support smoking - wow.

To all the smokers, how many people have you guys pushed into being smokers? knowingly or unknowingly?

The word independence is a much abused term here in India.

And please all those bringing in pollution and other such stuff - please open a separate thread as to why you guys think all this is linked - this thread is about ban on smoking.

Wow i still cant believe folks actually voicing their thoughts against the ban. You guys should blow cigratte smoke in your family's face's(your 60 year old mother, your 6 month old baby) and then see what they think about the ban.
As you are free to voice your opinion "FOR" the ban, others are allowed to voice their opinion "AGAINST" the ban.

ps: i personally feel that your tone and comments in the last para is rude and unnecessary.
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:15   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayavi View Post

I Firmly believe that if there is substance in my post it will be noticed and I do not have to use BOLD letters to attract attention, but in this case I will break my own rule to post in bold because this has to be read by everyone.

1. This rule is not intended to ban smoking even though it appears to be marketed like that. Everyone in this country has rights. Smokers have right to smoke and non-smokers have right to not smoke. But the nature of smoke is such that it spreads every where and will be inhaled by non-smokers.

2. READ THE LAW VERY CAREFULLY. Smoking is banned only indoors or in areas where there air circulation is not there.

3. Smoking is not banned in open areas because non-smokers have the choice of walking away from smokers. So you can smoke all you want in front of a road side tea stall.

4. Finally, do you like to travel in a sub-compact car with 5 people in it and AC turned on/windows rolled up and one of the passengers is farting non stop? Smoking in a closed space is the same.
Mayavi, you sound very near to be the one who framed these rules.

No smoking in bars/discos will never work in India. I wish it would, but it wouldn't.
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:20   #110
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
ps: i personally feel that your tone and comments in the last para is rude and unnecessary.
Rude yes, unneccessary dont think so.

I being a non smoker feel totally nauseated for almost 5-6 hours after i get anywhere close to a guy who smokes. And i find them everywhere, walk out of office at the gate, next to the small gaddas dotted everywhere. And non of them blow the smoke into their own face i dont know why?. Why dont all the smokers keep their hand a few inches away when they blowout the smoke, do this for every puff and then tell me if i am rude. We do it when we sneeze or cough - was taught to me in school its called manners, why dont you smokers do it? I wouldnt have a problem then. Try and keep your smoke to yourself.

One of the ladies who reports to me in my company was pregnant and stopped taking the main gate out just because we had smokers standing there the whole day. She used to literally take the fire escape to come out from the rear of the building. When she could no longer manage it we had to put up a sign at the main entrance asking the smokers to shift somewhere else. This for one person in a firm of about 2000 odd people.

Last edited by Spitfire : 3rd October 2008 at 11:32.
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:36   #111
Team-BHP Support

Educated people dont blow the smoke onto others, and generally move out of others way when they smoke.

Responsible employers have for ages created exclusive smoking zone which is away from non smokers area, and wouldnt allow smokers to cover the entrance and puff away. My job involves managing a firm with more than 600 people working and there is a robust policy, policing and reporting in place, which ensures swift and strong actions are taken in case of complaints or inconvenience.

Awareness and education has helped us rather than point blank blame and bans, its basic human psychology and lets not argue on that.

Also please ask your smoking friends to use fresh mints, which will help you feel better when you interact with them
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:37   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
No smoking in bars/discos will never work in India. I wish it would, but it wouldn't.
I think it will work cause the owners of the establishment will also be fined,for that matter they are going to fined more than the smoker.
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:37   #113
Senior - BHPian

Buddy i will tell one thing. I dont smoke on other peoples face and i see to it that i go to a place where no one is getting bugged with me smoking. Its my personnel intention why i smoke and if i want to i will quit. This ban is like treating people who smoke as criminals and if we are that then all those people who break rules like traffic signals, Avoid taxes, Make fake bills, Encourage evasion, Drinking and driving, Protesting also should be dealt in the same way.
They started catching people who smoke on the road. Common road is not a public area then why catch a person there.
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:39   #114
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Rude yes, unneccessary dont think so.
Rude again and totally out of context here again..
Quote:
PS: Going with the same logic all you smokers shouldnt be offended if i spit on your faces. When you can smoke in our faces we should be allowed to spit too - freedom no?
Quote:
I being a non smoker feel totally nauseated for almost 5-6 hours after i get anywhere close to a guy who smokes.
Highly possible and people you deal with should respect that, provided they get your respect.

I don't want to comment on your nauseated feeling but your two comments above are totally rude and crude.

As a non smoker you have your views and present that in a dignified manner. That's all needed here.
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:47   #115
BANNED

I think sometimes the message never gets across. A smoker is fine when he smokes in public and blows out smoke for other non smokers. Now talk about his family and i start getting rude and crude.

People should be taught to respect? i thought that was understood.

If smokers knew respect and showed some regard for others such laws wouldnt have been required in the first place.

PS: I stil ldont think i am rude or crude in anyway. Drive down EGL campus and see the mess the roads have been made into by the smokers smoking on the road now instead of the campus - cigratte butts and papers cups thrown all over and mind you these folks are from IBM, Microsoft and some majore comapnies all over the world. Talk about civic sense. Or are we going to police each person individaully?

Last edited by Spitfire : 3rd October 2008 at 11:58.
Old 3rd October 2008, 11:51   #116
Senior - BHPian

Wow!
So much discussion and controversy on the new law (and abhinav.gupta88's girlfriends ).

What is heartening to know that those who are opposing the law (mostly smokers), do seem to agree on atleast one point - Smoking kills.

So some of the smokers argue that its their life, they know that they might get heart disease/Cancer/impotency etc, but why does the government bother about that. Its about freedom of choice.

And the supporters of the law argue that this law is more about protecting the health of the non-smokers (passive smokers), then the smokers themselves.

I would go with the latter, and fully support the ban. Will it work or not, that's debatable. But atleast this ban is in the right direction.

Last edited by DCEite : 3rd October 2008 at 11:52.
Old 3rd October 2008, 12:04   #117
BANNED

The Law is not a ban on smoking like everyone here who supports is harping about, its about smoking in a responsible manner.

I dont understand why it is being called a ban?

PS: Checked the above sentences twice and like the other notes before these didnt find anything crude or rude to the smokers. Or have I?
Old 3rd October 2008, 12:12   #118
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
The Law is not a ban on smoking like everyone here who supports is harping about, its about smoking in a responsible manner.
Totally agree here.
Quote:
PS: Checked the above sentences twice and like the other notes before these didnt find anything crude or rude to the smokers.
Checked it once and that’s good enough for my old brain. There’s nothing crude and rude. And that’s the tone is expected here.
Old 3rd October 2008, 12:13   #119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Drive down EGL campus and see the mess the roads have been made into by the smokers smoking on the road now instead of the campus - cigratte butts and papers cups thrown all over and mind you these folks are from IBM, Microsoft and some majore comapnies all over the world.
OT: That place is a mess even without smokers, thanks to J walkers and median cutting bikers

Such big companies around and still they havent even put up an elevated pedestrian cross over on IRR! It will cost under 10 lakhs and will get them nice advertisement space also!

So much for caring employers or is it coz they are too busy competing each other within the park, that they dont care about what happens outside.

I see atleast 1 or 2 accident trails on the roads opposite on a weekly basis. If you can please suggest this humble idea to the relevant people.

Back to topic, this is exactly what i had in mind. This law is pointless, since it doesnt do anything for educating the smokers on harm or disuade a chronic smoker.

Its a big irony that a LAW has been passed on Oct 2nd, instead of a movement to educate and then enforce

Quote:
Now talk about his family and i start getting rude and crude.
This is a public internet forum, and most of us dont know each other that well to bring our families or friends into discussions, and hence it is rude and doesnt go with the forum etiquette.

Please treat it as a final warning also from the Support Team regarding this.
Old 3rd October 2008, 12:41   #120
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
OT: That place is a mess even without smokers, thanks to J walkers and median cutting bikers
I wasnt talking about the traffic there, i was pointing out to the mess the smokers are making of the road by throwing cigratte butts and papers cups when i know there are enough waste baskets around.

Quote:
This law is pointless, since it doesnt do anything for educating the smokers on harm or disuade a chronic smoker.
A chronic smoker or any smoker dosent know there is harm in smoking? Whom are we kidding? One needs to be educated for it? I know people who smoke beedis who have not seen a school in their life knowing fully well that beedis are not good for their health. For crying out loud even the cigratte packet has a warning. We still need to educate?

This law came into place because smokers could not be educated any more(tell me how many campaigns against smoking have we not seen - how much money has gone into it) so the government says fine, you(smoker) do not want to have a good health or do not care, good enough. We will get a law that will not harm non smokers and that is all the law is about.

Note that the sale of cigrattes has not being stopped - Your freedom to choose(the argument being put forward by everyone) has not being taken away you can still buy cigrattes, you can still cultivate tobbaco make beedis and cigrattes. The law dosent stop you from that does it?

Quote:
This is a public internet forum, and most of us dont know each other that well to bring our families or friends into discussions, and hence it is rude and doesnt go with the forum etiquette.

Please treat it as a final warning also from the Support Team regarding this.
I dont think i have made any personal attacks, i am not attacking any members family here but trying to prove the hypocraisy going on. What you perceive as rude and uncalled for i think are hard hitting statements which even a law and general knowledge dont seem to make sense to a few. I totally disagree with your mark on my etiquette.

Last edited by Spitfire : 3rd October 2008 at 12:56.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks