Old 30th September 2008, 22:20   #1
Team-BHP Support

Anti Smoking Laws Are Here

Do you think these laws will work?

__________________________________________________ ______________
-COPY OF-
NOTIFICATION
Dated 30th May, 2008

In exercise of the power conferred by Section 31 of the Cigarettes and other Tobacco Products (Prohibition of Advertisement and Regulation of Trade and Commerce, Production, Supply and Distribution) Act, 2003
(34 of 2003), the Central Government hereby makes the following Rules, in supersession to Rule 3 of the Cigarettes and other Tobacco Products (Prohibition of Advertisement and Regulation of Trade and Commerce, Production, Supply and Distribution) Rules, 2004, namely:-

1. Short title, Extent and Commencement.-
(1) These rules may be called the Prohibition of Smoking in Public Places Rules, 2008.

(2) They shall come into force on the 2nd October, 2008.

2. Definitions : In these rules, unless the context otherwise requires,-

(a) hotel shall mean a building or a part of a building where lodging, with or without board or other services, is provided by way of business for consideration monetary or otherwise and includes boarding house and guest house.

(b) restaurant shall mean any place to which the public has access and where any kind of food or drink is supplied for consumption on the premises by any person by way of business for consideration monetary or otherwise and shall include the open space surrounding such premises and includes-

(i) refreshment rooms, banquet halls, discotheques, canteen, coffee house, pubs, bars, airport lounge, and the like.

(c) open space mentioned in Section 3(1) of the Act shall not include any place visited by the public such as open auditorium, stadium, railway station, bus stop/stand and other such places.

(d) public place defined in Section 3(1) of the Act shall also include work places, shopping malls, and cinema halls.

(e) smoking area or space mentioned in the proviso to Section 4 of the Act shall mean a separately ventilated smoking room that:

(i) is physically separated and surrounded by full height walls on all four sides;

(ii) has an entrance with an automatically closing door normally kept in dose position;

(iii) has an air flow system, as specified in schedule I,

(iv) has negative air pressure in comparison with the remainder of the building.

(f) Words and expressions used herein and not defined in these rules but defined in the Act shall have the meanings, respectively, assigned to them in the Act.

3. Prohibition of smoking in a public place :

(1) The owner, proprietor, manager, supervisor or in charge of the affairs of a public place shall ensure that:

(a) No person smokes in the public place (under his jurisdiction/implied).

(b) The board as specified in schedule II is displayed prominently at the entrance of the public place, in case there are more than one entrance at each such entrance and conspicuous place(s) inside. In case if there are more than one floor, at each floor including the staircase and entrance to the lift/s at each floor.

(c) No ashtrays, matches, lighters or other things designed to facilitate smoking are provided in the public place.

(2) The owner, proprietor, manager, supervisor or incharge of the affairs of a public place shall notify and cause to be displayed prominently the name of the person(s) to whom a complaint may be made by a person(s) who observes any person violating the provision of these Rules.

(3) If the owner, proprietor, manager, supervisor or the authorized officer of a public place fails to act on report of such violation, the owner, proprietor, manager. supervisor or the authorized officer shall be liable to pay fine equivalent to the number of individual offences.

(Explanation: For the purpose of these rules the word offence means a person found violating any provision of the Rules).

4. Hotels, Restaurants and Airports.-

(1) The owner, proprietor, manager, supervisor or in charge of the affairs of a hotel having thirty or more rooms or restaurant having seating capacity of thirty persons or more and the manager of the airport may provide for a smoking area or space as defined in rule 2(e) .

(2) Smoking area or space shall not be established at the entrance or exit of the hotel, restaurant and the airport and shall be distinctively marked as Smoking Area in English and one Indian language, as applicable.

(3) A smoking area or space shall be used only for the purpose of smoking and no other service(s) shall be allowed.

(4) The owner, proprietor, manager, supervisor or in-charge of the affairs of a hotel having thirty or more rooms may designate separate smoking rooms in the manner prescribed as under:

(a) all the rooms so designated shall form a separate section in the same floor or wing, as the case may be. In case of more than one floors/wings the room shall be in one floor/wing as the case may be.

(b) all such rooms shall be distinctively marked as Smoking rooms in English and one Indian language, as applicable.

(c) the smoke from such room shall be ventilated outside and does not infiltrate/permeate into the non-smoking areas of the hotel including lobbies and the corridors.

5. Recovery of fine by authorized officers.-

(1) The authorized officers mentioned in schedule III shall be competent to act under and compound the offences committed in violation of Section 4 of the Act.

Schedule I
[See Rule 2 (e) (iii)]

(i) that is exhausted directly to the outside and not mixed back into the supply air for the other parts of the building; and

(ii) It is fitted with a non-re circulating exhaust venti¬lation system or an air cleaning system, or by a combina¬tion of the two, to ensure that the air discharges only in a manner that does not re-circulate or transfer it from a smok¬ing area or space to non-smoking areas.

Schedule II
[See rule 3(b)]

1. The board shall be of a minimum size of 60 cm by 30 cm of white background.

2. It shall contain a circle of no less than 15 cm outer diameter with a red perimeter of no less than 3 cm wide with a picture, in the centre, of a cigarette or beedi with black smoke and crossed by a red band.

3. The width of the red band across the cigarette shall equal the width of the red perimeter.

4. The board shall contain the warning No Smoking Area-Smoking Here is an Offence, in English or one Indian language, as applicable.

Schedule III
(See Rule 5)

Authorised Officers :
Following persons shall be authorized to impose and collect the fine against the violation of Section 4.

Sl. No. Person Authorised to take action Description of Public Place
1. Inspectors of Central Excise/Income-tax Customs/Sales Tax/Health/Transport and above All Public Places within their jurisdiction

2. Station Master/Asstt. Station Master/Station Head/Station incharge Railways and all its Premises

3. All Gazetted Officers of State/Central Government or equivalent rank and above in Autonomous Organizations/PSU Government offices/premises and offices of the autonomous bodies and corporations

4. Director/Medical Superintendent/Hospital Administrator Government and Private Hospital

5. Post Master and above Respective Post Office in their jurisdiction.

6. Head of the Institution/HR Manager/Head of Administration Private Offices/Workplaces

7. College/School/Headmaster Principal/Teacher Respective Educational Institutions

8. Librarian/Asstt. Librarian/Library incharge/other administrative staff in library. Libraries/Reading Rooms.

9. Airport Manager/Officers of Airport Authority of India and Officers of all schedule Airlines Airports

10. Director Public Health/Director Health Services All Public Places

11. In charge Administration in Central/State Government All Public Places

12. Nodal Officers/Focal Points of Anti-Tobacco Cell at District and State level. All Public Places

Sd/-
(B.K. Prasad)
Jt. Secy.

G.S.R. 417(E)
F.No.P.16015/20/2007-PH
Issued by:
Ministry of Health and Family Welfare
(Department of Health and Family Welfare)
New Delhi

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th September 2008 at 22:23.
Old 30th September 2008, 22:22   #2
Team-BHP Support

29 Days since my last cig.

Thanks Ramdoss.
I just might win it this time round.
Old 30th September 2008, 22:25   #3
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
29 Days since my last cig.

Thanks Ramdoss.
I just might win it this time round.
Who is Ramdoss? And how does he help quitting?

Last edited by moralfibre : 30th September 2008 at 22:40.
Old 30th September 2008, 22:32   #4
Team-BHP Support

thanks moral for the details, really helpful

So one can smoke on a deserted road/mountain/fields
Inside ones car with windows wound up and AC in recirculation mode

??

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Whose Ramdoss? And how does he help quitting?
am in splits!

Last edited by Jaggu : 30th September 2008 at 22:34.
Old 30th September 2008, 22:33   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Health Minister Dr. Anbumani ramadoss, i guess.
Old 30th September 2008, 22:34   #6
Team-BHP Support

Anbumani Ramadoss - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

he helps me quit by keeping cigs away from the one place where I find it easiest to give up. The office.
Old 30th September 2008, 22:42   #7
BHPian

Obviously a good move, If only they can implement it well. PS: why the thumbs down? :P
Old 30th September 2008, 22:45   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Ramdoss is the health Minister who always try to be in controversies

Anyways is a great decision by him. I have seen people just smoke in Restaurants where families are dining(including small kids). It may not help anyone to quit smoking. But definitely will reduce. Imagine you going out to the Smokers room dropping your beer bottle on the table(yeah you cant take them to the smokers room, as per the rule you will not be allowed to take anything other than your smoke )

One more thing he should have done: charge 10 times tax for tobacco products and spend that amount for Cancer Patients.

Last edited by HotChillyPepper : 30th September 2008 at 22:49.
Old 30th September 2008, 22:56   #9
BHPian

Dr. Justice K Narayana Kurup - He is the man behind this.

Last edited by aah78 : 1st October 2008 at 00:47. Reason: Link fixed.
Old 30th September 2008, 22:58   #10
BHPian

It's a good move and I am all for it. The effectiveness of the order will depend on is enforcement and I do hope, really really hope that the enforcement is spot on. Sure there will be some protests initially but with a revolutionary move like this there are bound to be. These will eventually die down. My worry is that after the first couple of months so will the enforcement and it will be back to square 1.

the first sensible move he makes is unfortunately towards the end of his term!
Old 30th September 2008, 23:01   #11
BHPian

Excellent idea if they can implement it.
Old 30th September 2008, 23:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amien View Post
Obviously a good move, If only they can implement it well. PS: why the thumbs down? :P
and i thought india is a free country ? i dont think anyone make someone quit smoking unless 1 wants to, just wait for a few days till money transfers hands, the law will be "amended" again
Old 30th September 2008, 23:09   #13
BHPian

Really a good step by Ramadoss. Now its time for enforcers to enforce this.
Old 30th September 2008, 23:31   #14
BHPian

I really support this initiative. This would help every Indians. Ramdoss personally not benefiting from this.
Old 30th September 2008, 23:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

At last some consideration for the health of the common people and passive smokers like me.

I welcome this move but i ony hope it gets implemented with an iron hand, something like they have implemented the No drinking and driving rule. Kudos.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks