Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2009, 16:44   #211
Senior - BHPian

Awesome is the word. Sam you are one of a kind.

The YetiLife is charmed. Agree with your bandraboy words...
Old 21st January 2009, 16:57   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® - New Year's Eve 2009

Angela's home is at the foot of the hill. There is no need to drive anywhere.

They take drinking seriously in Germany, but they take drinking and driving far more seriously.
Not a single person who intends to drive that night has consumed anything. It is commendable.

Thankfully the climb up the hill is not as bad as I thought. It can be done with our legs only and there is no need to climb up on all fours. It is however exhausting in the funniest way possible. It seems unbelievable to me.

Here we are, climbing up, walking through a thick forest, climbing up to the top of the hill where we will enjoy some fireworks on New year's eve. All of this is a little town in Hessen, in Germany. With my woman and her friends. People I've never met before. Many of whom have never seen an Indian man in the flesh.
2 years ago, if you had to tell me I'd be doing this, I'd have laughed in disbelief.

Today I'm panting like a thirsty dog, trying to make sure I am not the last up the path.

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6720_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6722_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6723_l.jpg

Many pants later, we're almost at the top.

This seems like a good place to everyone so we stop. I look up at the peak of the hill. First it appears to me like a fence on the edge. When I look closer I realize that this is almost the entire town and the "fence" is in fact people!

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6724_l.jpg

There we are, happy and recovering our breath, everyone looks excited in anticipation. Champagne bottles are ready to pop, sparklers ready to be lit. Not wanting to waste any time, glasses are passed around and we wait for the countdown to begin.

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6735_l.jpg

ZEHN...
NEUN...
ACHT...
SEBEN...
SECHS...
FÜNF...
VIER...
DREI..
ZWEI...
EINS...

Prost Neujahr! Happy New Year!!

It is incredible. Not like India where things can be celebrated plus or minus 15 minutes. No, this is clockwork, with German clocks - almost on cue the entire town is alight with fireworks - all simultaneous.

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_67551_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6750_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6746_l.jpg

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6750_l.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	92112

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6760_l.jpg

I curse loudly! No bloody tripod!
In order to bring back this girl's stuff to India, I have travelled half-way across the world with 2 shirts, 3 tee shirts and 4 underpants.
Tripods cannot be hand carried, they need to be checked in and that would have been a few extra kilos to bring back.

Damn it...

Happy New year baby says a voice close to my ear.
Ahhh, never mind, so it's a few blurry pictures. Big deal. I'll shoot in 1600 and Rudra will have to learn to deal with the colour noise.

Happy New year Jenny I say smiling.

We kiss for a while then smile around at the festivities, feeling content. Every few seconds we hug and kiss someone to say "Happy new Year" and then stand back with a content smile, watching everyone make merry and then joining them, making the whole occasion one to remember. I am reminded of Diwali and I look around and see the same happiness, the same joy, the same festivities. The world is such a nice place.

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6739_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6741_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6753_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6764_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6768_l.jpg

After the revelries, at about 1am, we start walking home. I am informed that the party is very far from over, in fact it might be just beginning.

These Germans are crazy.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 21st January 2009 at 17:06.
Old 21st January 2009, 17:21   #213
Team-BHP Support

go sam goooooooo...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne® View Post
And Oh God, here he comes - faster than a speeding bullet!
-----
I know I should be worried, both about Sam and the man he almost killed, but watching all this I cannot control myself and burst into peals of loud laughter, holding my nephew in my arms who is also laughing and trying to understand what has just happened. I see my sister on the other side, behind Sam, doing exactly the same. Though I cannot hear her I see her holding her stomach that hurts from all the laughing.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA... I can just not stop it, I shout
"Oh God honey, what was that?"
and then quickly push my sleigh with my feet and drive over to him as the guy next to me is getting even more annoyed with my laughter. Danger!!! Lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
You Germans are CRAZY![/i] I yell, looking for my gloves.
----
This is madness! I'm not entirely sober myself, having sampled various delicacies and sort (use your imagination again, Gentlemen, Team-BHP does not encourage drinking alcohol or the discussion of it) and now I have to go out in this hostile cold and climb a hill? Ah well, let me just add this to my list of life's experiences then.

Jenny laughs at my confused look. Come on honey and try not to be last as usual.
truly hillarious!! and i can see how the joke continued through the trip!!

hey but wish list added this side.
Old 21st January 2009, 17:28   #214
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® - 1st Jan 2009 - The party continues

We're back home, laughing giggling and completely out of breath.

Dessert is served and it is fantastic!

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6793_l.jpg

The party continues and Jenny and I talk to different people, sharing knowledge and experience. Everyone I have spoken to wants to visit India. I tell them to come with an open mind and not come expecting karma, snake-charmers and mysticism on a plate.

Many different concoctions are concocted and various tasting sessions are held in between all the singing and dancing. I have lost interest in taking photos and want to focus entirely on having funnnn.

The party has split into various factions, lol. Some do this:

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6796_l.jpg

The rest gather round table in piece to complete another German tradition.

Meanwhile the chakhna comes out. It's so weird to eat everything backwards here. First dinner. Then drinks. Then some dessert and some more drinks. Then the chakhna. Weird.

Ahh yes, the tradition. Well apparently one takes a spoon and a piece of some alloy that is fairly solid. Then one holds the alloy in his spoon over a candle till it melts (and it melts in a minute or so) and then empties the hot molten alloy into a bowl of cold water. Then (clearly) the molten alloy takes on some shape.

You take the shape out, figure out what it looks like and read your future according to the shape, from a book.

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6798_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6802_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6805_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6807_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6813_l.jpg

I drop my metal into the pan and what comes out looks like goat dropping, only larger. I mean really, is this what the future holds for me?

I pick up the book and it reads as such:

Get completely wasted and go running into the living room and sing Whitney Houston and other girly songs with a bunch of women at the top of your voice, making a complete fool of yourself. This is your destiny Luke.

I hear and obey and it is great fun. Till date I suspect that my eyes may have deceived me and those words may have been my own imagination.

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6815_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6834_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6846_l.jpg

The time is now approaching 4 am. I have little recollection of the events around this time. I am running around the house and everywhere, singing, dancing and having a fantastic time.

Jenny!! Where is Jenny? I find her in a corner and approach the patient lady.

Are you tired baby?
MMhmmm.
Wanna go home?

And she looks up at me.
YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6999_l.jpg

And I know that if I want to enjoy 2009, this is a good time to say goodbye to the party.

And we do and leave.

What a wonderful evening. Truly magical.

Goodnight everyone and Happy New Year!!

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 21st January 2009 at 17:33.
Old 21st January 2009, 18:00   #215
BHPian

Sam you are completely unbelievable. To quote you you are truly blessed. Cant wait for the rest
Old 21st January 2009, 22:18   #216
BHPian

Sam -- if Jenny is the Braut -- what does that make you -- hmm lets figure it this way -- Brat goes very well with Braut -- so when is the Brat of T-BHP marrying the Braut -- bring on those festivities live --- we are waiting with bated breath.
Old 21st January 2009, 23:11   #217
BHPian

Congratulations! I'm sure there's reception planned here in Bangalore :-)
Old 22nd January 2009, 12:41   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

While you guys are deciding the venue for the reception, I'd like to inform you that the wedding has not been finalized yet, lol.
Old 23rd January 2009, 14:12   #219
BHPian

Quote:
While you guys are deciding the venue for the reception, I'd like to inform you that the wedding has not been finalized yet, lol.
It was supposed to be over by now if I remember correctly. . .I'm all confused!! Please help!
Old 23rd January 2009, 18:33   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Ok. Perhaps it is the title. I made a spoof on Dilwale Dulhaniya by swapping the word in German.

Jenny and I aren't married. I went to get her. Boriya Bistra and everything. I took her from her friends and family and what she called home and brought her here. To Bombay, where we will live together.
When we are married, I will announce it happily in advance. It should happen later in 2009. Only we haven't decided on the date and venue. (We have decided it will be in Germany, though)

I hope this clears all your confusion. I will continue the story shortly.

Thanks for your patience.
Old 23rd January 2009, 20:03   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When we are married, I will announce it happily in advance. It should happen later in 2009. Only we haven't decided on the date and venue. (We have decided it will be in Germany, though).
Would that mean an invitation with a return ticket to the venue for all TBhpians?
Old 23rd January 2009, 23:30   #222
Senior - BHPian

cheers: Considering the number of team-bhpians all around the place, that would be the most expensive wedding one could ever have !
Old 23rd January 2009, 23:37   #223
Senior - BHPian

Herzlichen Glückwunsch!!!
Old 24th January 2009, 00:54   #224
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
1When we are married, I will announce it happily in advance.
I wasn't confused before....

Old 24th January 2009, 01:33   #225
BHPian

Guess what sam 2 years on and n number of diapers later !!!! Living the rock star life doesn't seem that bad after all !!!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks