Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2009, 18:07   #226
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® - Dinners and Games

Evenings without plans were some of the best evenings I have spent with Jenny's family.

A wonderful home dinner would always be followed up by a long conversation session and then games - late into the night games. Board games, word games, physical games...
We played them all. Sure, I'm not used to it. Been a long time since I played silly games and it took me a while to stop feeling stupid.

But it was wonderful. Every evening was wonderful. We played like kids, fought over who was cheating, ate and drank and danced and sang while we played till 2 and 3 in the morning.

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6390_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6391_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6392_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6394_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6395_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6397_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6859_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6864_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6888_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6889_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6890_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6907_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6915_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6928_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6936_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6953_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6961_c.jpg

When we were home, some days meli (Jenny's sister) made dinner and some days I made dinner. Once I made Chana Masala, the other time I made a Gobi and Aloo sabzi, simple with haldi and rai and everyone LOVED it.
It was so much fun.
I truly had a wonderful time with TheOne®'s friends and family and being with them is something I truly look forward to again.
Old 27th January 2009, 19:27   #227
Senior - BHPian

I quite like that Ferarri jacket. And I wonder how your cooking turned out.
Old 27th January 2009, 19:32   #228
BANNED

Go on! Go on! We're following this thread eagerly.
We wanna see how and when the baaraat reached amchi Mumbai!
Old 27th January 2009, 19:46   #229
Senior - BHPian

Zak sitting in Nigeria is holding a set of popcorn and a glass of Coke waiting for the blog to continue

So are we Sam
Old 28th January 2009, 02:17   #230
Distinguished - BHPian

Thank you for yet another smile on my face, Sam
Old 28th January 2009, 02:45   #231
BHPian

The jacket rocks, so does the decor in the inlaw's house. !
Old 28th January 2009, 09:20   #232

Sam,
I guess memories are made up of times like these. What a perfectly happy period in your life!
The goofy hitler rules.
For an Indian to be so closely accepted is kudos to your manifold charms.
Keep goofing and may happiness surround you and yours.
Old 28th January 2009, 12:13   #233
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® - The 1st and 2nd of January 2009

Days are passing. I have been here for over 10 and it has been fun but hectic.
It is not as I envisioned it to be, me trying to pack things into boxes and dismantling furniture.
No, this young lady has already packed most of her things. When I do get a chance to see the things she has packed...

What on earth is THAT?
It's a basket. A steel basket.
Like that? What for?
To keep onions in.
To keep onions in. You put the onions in here and hang it from the ceiling. Like this.
Jenny, we're going to carry onion baskets to India?
It's just one and I like this and I want it in my house.
But we get onions baskets in India!
Will you get this same exact one?
uhhhhh.... no.
I pack it back in quietly.

What is this?
It is a cake knife! I need this when I make cakes at home.
But...

Oh why do I try?

Why would I imagine that she would have just a few clothes and shoes and bags and belts to carry back to her new home? Is it because I am merely a shortsighted man?

Do I expect this woman to pack like she's going on holiday? Imagine if I had to leave Bandra, nay India and go to live somewhere. What things would I leave behind? My favourite wooden hanger? The cracked spoon I ALWAYS use when I'm cooking? My favourite juice glass? Would I be able to leave all this in Bandra?

My answer is no. We have a lot of baggage and we need help.

It is my estimate that Jenny has already sent and carried to India well over 100 kilos. Each trip she has made to India, she has left behind 10 odd kilos of stuff.
Each time someone has come to India she has sent little packages.
When I went with an entourage of people to berlin, Jenny gave them all a box of about 5 to 7 kilos each to carry back home.

And yet we have about 75 kilos. But I am not surprised. Before I came to Germany, I asked NC for help. I'm not going to name people on the internet but for various reasons, NC is well connected in Air-India.
He tries hard (and there's a pal if I ever knew one) and his help comes through. I am able to speak to someone important at Air-India.

No problem.
But we have almost 75 kilos between us.
No problem, you bring it. Don't worry.
Are you sure, there are 6 pieces of check in.
Relax, just bring it to Frankfurt. All will be OK.
Thanks a lot, really.
Give my regards to XXXXXX
he says before disconnecting the telephone.

Luggage sorted.

Days are passing. Almost every morning, afternoon and night I see Jenny making phone calls, chatting quickly in German. To some she says she is going for good - goodbye and goodluck, so long, farewell (Auf Wiedersehen, goodbyeeee), to the other she starts with I met a man from India...

When we meet people and she tells them she is moving to India the reaction is the same.

To India? Wow. That's really far away.

I often feel like telling them it's only 8 hours away and that I would spend that much time getting to Goa by road!
I often wonder if it takes a special kind of person to do what she is doing. I often wonder if it takes a special kind of relationship, or a special kind of love that well and truly comes before everything else.

If it is, then by jolly - we've found it haven't we? My whole life I've been searching for someone who could offer me complete commitment. What greater commitment now could I have ever asked for from another human being.

Finding the one is a great relief. You find the one and then you're a new man. You can focus on things that make life special. It's a bloody relief, that's what it is.
  1. Find TheOne.
Right, so let's tick that off the list along with wondering to who spend the rest of my life with, who to go out for dinner with, whose shoulder to cry on, who to turn to for help day or night and how to get laid on a regular basis.

Now to focus on life and how to live it well.

Seriously, the time we spend either looking for, or imagining the ideal partner is incredible. Either we do that or fool everyone into thinking that we prefer to be alone. I don't prefer it. I'll say it now. Everytime something exciting happens, you have someone whose should you tap and say:

Hey, did you see that?

Sometimes the greatest of my holidays have been ruined because I experienced a moment and didn't have someone to say that to at that moment. And now, here she is. My better half. My partner.
And her onion basket too.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 28th January 2009 at 12:15.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2009, 12:35   #234
DKG
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I often wonder if it takes a special kind of person to do what she is doing.
It sure does. This one act of hers, leaving her familiar world behind, her family, to start a new life with you is a massive investment from her side. I admire and applaud her courage and commitment.

Quote:
I often wonder if it takes a special kind of relationship, or a special kind of love that well and truly comes before everything else.

If it is, then by jolly - we've found it haven't we?
You sure have !! I don't think it gets any better for starters atleast

Just make sure the onion baskets don't rattle you. There will be many such baskets and knives

Quote:
My whole life I've been searching for someone who could offer me complete commitment. What greater commitment now could I have ever asked for from another human being.
Nothing more I'd say. Sincere consideration, ample freedom to be herself and your time and commitment would make it a divine union

Quote:
This time around Sam I think you know you will find the way. Best wishes buddy
Old 28th January 2009, 12:39   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® - The 1st and 2nd of January 2009 - continued

No more sunshine and the weather predicts to drop well below -10 in the coming few days.
Not for me, haha, I predict 30 degrees in the next 2 days, lol. We're going to Bombay!

It snows in Bad Nauheim these first few days of the New Year. The snow flakes are soft and clean and beautiful.

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6870_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6871_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_68731_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6874_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6875_c.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_6877_c.jpg

These 2 days are slow and unremarkable. Some quiet time spent reflecting (for her) holding hands (for me) and some final packing. Jenny calls her bank, her electricity provider, her phone provider and so on.

On the 2nd evening, some plans are being made. Everyone is coming to the airport to see us off.

After all, we're leaving tomorrow.
Sam Kapasi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2009, 12:39   #236
Senior - BHPian

Sam,

You are incredible.
And incorrigible. Always ending posts with short sentences only.

Best wishes!
Old 28th January 2009, 13:07   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

I am totally with Jenny on the packing. I had a container shipped from London, and I still miss stuff I threw away before packing.

Like, yes, I know we can get cooking pans and knives in India --- but I want my cooking pans and knives! If I'd had an onion basket, there is no way I would have left it in England.

Come to think of it; I do have a vegetable rack, and I did bring it!

Have you considered shipping? It doesn't have to be a container: I sent three boxes of stuff I'd left at a London friends two years back as "unaccompanied baggage". It didn't cost much!

On the other hand, I'm sure your visits to Jenny's family will be regular, so you can bring another load next time
Old 28th January 2009, 13:25   #238
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
My whole life I've been searching for someone who could offer me complete commitment. What greater commitment now could I have ever asked for from another human being.

Finding the one is a great relief. You find the one and then you're a new man. You can focus on things that make life special. It's a bloody relief, that's what it is.
  1. Find TheOne.
Right, so let's tick that off the list along with wondering to who spend the rest of my life with, who to go out for dinner with, whose shoulder to cry on, who to turn to for help day or night and how to get laid on a regular basis.

Seriously, I don't prefer it. I'll say it now. Everytime something exciting happens, you have someone whose should you tap and say:

Hey, did you see that?

Sometimes the greatest of my holidays have been ruined because I experienced a moment and didn't have someone to say that to at that moment. And now, here she is. My better half. My partner.
And her onion basket too.
Sir..I have been following the yeti blog more so like a religion and after reading the above i am on an absolute nostalgic trip( never have i missed my gf so much specially after reading the above,unfortunately we had to part ways)

although my whole current outlook has been as you rightly put it "the time we spend either looking for, or imagining the ideal partner is incredible. Either we do that or fool everyone into thinking that we prefer to be alone"

man ,you really rang a serious ghanti inside me now.

hands down to you totally..

sincerely wishing you and TheOne a splendid life ahead...
Old 28th January 2009, 14:34   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® - 3rd January 2009

We're going home.

The past days have gone by busily and often we have no answer to the eternal question:
So, how does it feel? Knowing that the 2 of you will be together always now?

We don't know how it feels. We haven't had a free moment to think about the consequences. We've been busy trying to go somewhere, visit someone, drive somewhere, cook something, try not to fall on your bottom and more.
Who knows how it's going to feel?

After breakfast we start packing up all the packed up stuff and I start moving it out from the guest room to the car, piece by piece. It's very cold outside.

Melanie and Carsten have decided to make it a fun out for the kids. They're going to take the Touareg to the station and catch a train to Frankfurt. The little boy loves trains and airplanes. Today will be a real treat for them.
Jenny has decided not to sell her car. Yet. The market is down and she has only just cleared the loan off. The price of the used Opel Corsa will be too low to sell. She is going to leave the car with her Dad and hopefully either use it on our next holiday, or maybe sell it off if her Dad can find a good price for it.

Everyone else is coming on their own. Thomas is to take us to the Airport in his car but due to some confusion we leave in the corsa and then transfer all (ALL?, Yes all.) the luggage to his car.

Seriously honey, they can never allow all of this as check in. it's just too much.
No, they said it's OK. I spoke to the guy yesterday.
Who is this guy.
You know Gautam na? His relative knows someone who knows someone in Air India at Frankfurt. but that guy is on holiday so he has asked another Indian guy to help us, that guy is stationed at the airport.
But why are so many people trying to help us?
Because that is the Indian way!! lol

We listen to a few songs, Frankfurt is just 30 minutes away. I'm expecting a lot of tears and have left, armed with a whole roll of toilet paper. One may think of this as frivolous stuff, but imagine travelling with a snotty teary person and no paper!

But first - check-in.

As always, Air-India outsources its checking in to Fraport. There is a line of German ladies at the counter. To our luck, we stand in front of the sternest looking one.
We hand over our passports and printouts.

I start loading the bags onto the belt. The bag area is full, my trolley is not. She looks at me, then looks at the baggage weighing belt and then at my trolley.
Jenny looks up at the sky.

She speaks to Jenny in German. Here is a rough translation.
How much luggage do you have anyways?
Uhh... I'm not sure, I stopped packing at about 60 kilos but there is more.. uhh..
One moment please she says, looking angrily at us and then her computer.
Jenny looks at me. I knew this was not going to work. This is crazy and honestly, quite embarrassing. What if we have to pay now huh?
Relax. It will all work out.

I am flying Air-India. My friend Gautam has made this work. I am Indian and this feels like home turf to me. So what if the lady in front of me have unfortunately has turned out to be a khadoos. We will see.

Her computer has a message. Contact supervisor. She tells us, looking even more annoyed at the fact that she cannot slap us with a huge charge right away.
The supervisor is a kindly round smiley German lady.

Herr Kapasi und....
Frau Schöffel ja?

Ja, I say - nodding brightly.
She turns to khadoos.
Alles gepacken ist OK.
Khadoos looks like she's been stabbed and spit upon. Shaking her head and muttering angrily she sticks all our baggage tags on. I am smiling triumphantly from ear to ear. Jenny is still embarrassed, though I cannot understand why.

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_7047_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_7048_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_7049_l.jpg

At McDonalds we meet the entire family, laughing and chatting and eating. Everyone looks very busy and interested in something or the other. No long drawn emotional scenes have occurred.
There's no apna khayal rakhna, roz ek apple khana kind of scene here.

This is a nice way of dealing with goodbyes I think. Still, it's not like India where every person who goes away for a week brings Chunnu, Pinky, Mummy, Daddy, Honey and the cook with him to the airport.
Jenny's family is big and conspicuous at the airport.

We've spent too much time at McDonalds. We have to rush for departure. Near the gate just as we're about to say goodbye, Jenny needs to find a restroom.
I speak to the family, deciding to keep it light and funny, instead of a Don't worry she'll be fine etc. kind of speech. They know she'll be fine.

Hey guys, while she's gone to the toilet, can I have a picture of all of you waving. Just pretend I'm Jenny and you're saying goodbye! It'll save me some time.
YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_7051_l.jpg

What's wrong with you guys. You look like you're all HAPPY that she's leaving. Is this how you want her to remember you? Now look a bit sad for God's sake.
YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_7052_l.jpg

The family that laughs together, always stays together,even when they're miles apart. Right after this photo, everyone cracks up laughing as jenny returns.
Oh great, I'm leaving and you guys are cracking jokes and laughing.
YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_7056_l.jpg

I quickly hug everyone and say my goodbyes. Nobody says it but everyone's eyes say the very same thing to me. Take care of her.

I step aside and let her say her goodbyes. It is emotional and private.

As we run towards the gate, I hear Jenny's younger sister break into a loud song. By the third word all of them have joined in and the generally quiet Frankfurt Airport is alive with the sound of the Schoeffel family, singing loud and clear, we can hear them singing all the way to the X-ray machine.

All my bags are packed
Im ready to go
Im standin here outside your door
I hate to wake you up to say goodbye
But the dawn is breakin
Its early morn
The taxis waitin
Hes blowin his horn
Already Im so lonesome
I could die

So kiss me and smile for me
Tell me that youll wait for me
Hold me like youll never let me go
cause Im leavin on a jet plane
Dont know when Ill be back again
Oh babe, I hate to go....

Jenny bursts into tears as we cross the various X-ray machines. I run into a little extra trouble because of the metal content in my Timberland boots and the metal detector. While I gather my things, she gathers herself and has stopped crying.I buy a few things at the duty free. It's weird. Germans look at Jenny and I holding hands and speak to me in German and look a little surprised when I answer in English. Indians stare at me when they see me talking in German to Jenny as she holds my hand.It is great fun.While we wait for the flight, I take my customary photo.

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_7062_l.jpg

Jenny is a mix of wanting to speak, wanting to remain silent and her phone keeps ringing too.
YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_7065_l.jpg

Soon we board the flight and are on our way. The flight is uneventful, the food is excellent as is the hospitality. Once again, Jenny and I reconfirm our decision to fly Air-India whenever possible, lol.

She sleeps a little and looks tired and sad. Still a lot better than I expected. About halfway into the flight as she nods off to sleep on my shoulder and as I hear her breathing in my left ear it finally occurs to me.

The Yeti is no longer single.

No longer am I master of my own will and desire, I have a life to share and responsibilities towards this wonderful lady. Bringing the Braut home is just the first step.

Life itself will be the next.

The end.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 28th January 2009 at 15:04.
Old 28th January 2009, 14:46   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Epilogue and Thanks!

It has taken me over a month to write this one and not because I needed time to think.
Ever since we returned, life has been a big blur of happenings.

Between work and weddings (no, not ours) and getting the apartment ready for us to live in - life has truly been very hectic.

One thing has been constant though. We've been together, through it all. The fun, the fights, the food and the decisions. And this story, with now over 13000 views. Thank you for reading and enjoying this simple little story of a guy who went to get his partner from another country.

It was easy, honestly. Nobody asked me if she'd be fine. Nobody questioned the state of affairs in Mumbai or the terrorism. Her Dad was a real gentleman to me and her family was warm and truly wished us well. They respected her decision to move in with me in India and supported her through that difficult goodbye. I am very thankful for them.

Thank you everyone for enjoying my tale. You were the reason I wrote it and if you enjoyed it, leave us a little note. I promise you- we read each and every one with a smile.

Thanks and goodbye!

Sam

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 28th January 2009 at 15:00.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks