Old 26th December 2008, 13:18   #106
BHPian

Man - this is some blog.. Awaiting updates
Old 26th December 2008, 13:28   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
wagon r ? where?
man, this is not just the story to complete it out, this is hakikat of life of sam and jenny. let them enjoy and let sam take his own time to write.

Here in the post, in second photograph at the right corner, you see a car that is basically a Suzuki! I am proud of a Suzuki doing so responsible duties. Can be Vauxhaul Opel, but it remains a Suzuki.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/1106380-post81.html

Yes, its about his life, but it is so well written, I just want to read on and on. Specially about the airport encounter and the words " buzz buzz " and his other narration.
Old 26th December 2008, 13:46   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Here in the post, in second photograph at the right corner, you see a car that is basically a Suzuki!
yes, you are right, its wagon r.
keen observation.
Old 26th December 2008, 14:30   #109
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® 22nd December 2008

I'm awakened by the sounds of children shouting and playing upstairs. Much as I'd like to sleep, the jet lag (my body knows it must be 1pm in India right now) and the kids... sigh...

I yell out my Guten Morgens to the 3 kids and everyone else. They are all so warm and kind and happy to see me.
Sometimes I wonder...

We think only Indians are capable of warmth and hospitality, that the west is cold and unfeeling. Perhaps it is the portrayal that is given to us, perhaps it is bias that stems from ignorance.
I have been guilty of being biased my whole life, a fact that I have recently come to admit.

A common statement: They are not like us, they are foreigners.
Oh really? So then are there exactly 2 kinds of people in this world? Indians and foreigners?

A common statement: Germans are unfriendly, unhospitable and they have no sense of humour.
I say, those who say that could not have been more wrong.

Of course, Jenny's family is exceptionally warm and kind and they do not portray all of Deutschland - because that would be generalizing, another ignorant crime.

But I'm meandering and rambling.

After a long and wonderful breakfast, it is time for a shower and then we're going to go out. It is going to be the 4 of us - Jenny, Robin, Celia and I.
First step, a visit to the Krankenhaus to meet Oma. Oma is a German word means Nani. She is super happy to see all of us and especially me.

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5369_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5373_l.jpg

Then after her lunch, Jenny and Celi sing her a traditional Christmas song.

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5375_l.jpg
O tannenbaum, o tannenbaum, wie treu sind deine blätter.
Du grnst nicht nur zur sommerzeit, nein auch Im winter wenn es schneit.
O tannenbaum, o tannenbaum, wie treu sind deine blätter.

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5376_l.jpg
Both Jenny and the child are singing in earnest, loud and clear. It is beautiful and emotional and Oma enjoys the song very, very much as do I.

Soon we leave,saying our goodbyes and promises to see her soon.

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5378_l.jpg
Outside the Krankenhaus.

Now we will go to the neighbouring town of Friedberg.

Both Friedberg and Bad Nauheim are very little towns (the district is Friedberg) and Bad Nauheim is Jenny's home town - she was born here and grew up here. Her Mom and Dad and siblings still live here, she's the only one who has moved.
Most people have never heard of Bad Nauheim (Population 30,000), but it has the distinction of being a healing town, full of hot water springs and the best physio-kliniks.
The brothers Schumacher are regulars here for their physiotherapy.

In the past too, Friedberg and Bad Nauheim have had their share of fame.
I quote wikipedia:
Quote:
Friedberg was the home to the U.S. Army installation Ray Barracks. From approximately 1956 to 1997, Ray Barracks was the home of 3rd Brigade 3rd Armored Division. Elvis Presley served in 1st Bn 32nd Armor, whose motor pool and tanks were used in filming Presley's "GI Blues".
The 1st Brigade 1st Armor Division was located here as well as in Gießen, Germany. The 1st Brigade (otherwise known as Ready First) was located at Ray Barracks from 1997 to 2007 when the installation was closed permanently and was returned to the city of Friedberg. The base is notable as the duty station of Elvis Presley during his military stint in Europe, who lived in nearby Bad Nauheim. Elvis Presley Platz was named for the American star and is in the main shopping center of the town.
Jenny's Oma knew Elvis' house. It is possible she knew Elvis as well.

Driving to Friedberg takes a few minutes. We park, I get a ticket and we're off.
Old 26th December 2008, 14:49   #110
Distinguished - BHPian

YetiBlog® 22nd December - The car wash

Rural Germany is a clean place. There is no dirt to speak of, on the streets, in the air, anywhere. My boots look as good as new.

However it simply cannot justify one fact. Jenny has not washed the Opel Corsa in a year and a half.
Last Christmas she promised me she'll do it soon, this Christmas the car is still unwashed.
She cleans the inside every week or so, but the car has simply not been washed on the outside. The car is not so dirty, but this, frankly, is just ridiculous.

Today, Jenny decides to wash the car. Oh I know how the woman's mind works. Now we have to sell the car, before we move to India and a clean car is always easier to sell, lol.

Robin and Celia have never been to a car wash before. Nevermind them, I have never been to a car wash before.
Nummer 2 bitte Jenny says to the attendants. There is a board there, like Mcdonalds, with numbers on it.
1. Only water wash, 2. shampoo wash, 3. shampoo with wax gloss etc.

We drive for a metre and are suddenly in a conveyor belt. The engine is switched off and we sit patiently. There is a heavy water shower all around us WHOOSSHHHHHH

All 3 of us (all except Jenny) are staring at everything open mouthed and fascinated.
WHOOOSSSSHHHHHH....

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5380_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5381_l.jpg

SPLAT!!

This creature splats itself on our windscreen and starts wiggling all over. It is a creature similar to the creature in The Empire Strikes Back, inside the belly of the space-beast.... Oh nevermind lol.

The splat is followed by a wail that starts slowly and builds up to a crazy level likea siren.
waaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

Celia is scared out of her mind and Jenny is comforting her, trying to explain that we're not being attacked, that in fact we're being cleaned.

The car rolls further as all kinds of pressure hoses and brushes rub themselves against the body. It is by far, the most interesting experience of the day.

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5382_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5383_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5384_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5385_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5387_l.jpg
Last step: We're dried by giant red hair dryers, lol.

We're clean! Now to drive out and continue to Friedberg (pronounced Freedburg).

To be continued.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 26th December 2008 at 14:51.
Old 26th December 2008, 14:58   #111
Senior - BHPian

If possible, do snap that castle on hill and post it.
Last time when you visited, you had snapped it without any zoom with rainbow at back.

As in the fifth pic of post no 109 , though the car is not washed for one and half year, it looks clean.
Old 26th December 2008, 15:41   #112
Distinguished - BHPian

The town of Friedberg

We park the car and get a ticket. It is a pleasant walk through the town, we're shopping for Christmas presents (Jenny is) and eating (the kids and I are)
YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5390_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5392_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5394_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5395_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5397_l.jpg
The kids find a mobile store and decide to dial numbers into the big keypad and start shouting HALLO HALLO into the big instrument lol. Very funny.

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5398_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5401_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5402_l.jpg

YetiBlog® - Dilwale Braut le jayenge-dsc_5404_l.jpg

Some Xmas shopping, and everyone is rewarded for their good behavious with some lovely ice cream and now we're on our way back to Bad Nauheim.
Old 26th December 2008, 17:06   #113
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I wave out to Jenny from the customs gate. She is half crying half laughing, trying to wave and point to her watch all at one time...

... It is now 2.50pm. Jenny is messaging saying that the schedule is seriously off and I should leave and ask Fraport to deliver the carton to Bad Nauheim.
It was the most annoying arrival ever! First he arrives one hour late, and then this tiny little carton takes TWO hours to come. It was really stupid.

Quote:
The plan is to drive from Frankfurt to Heilbronn, empty out her apartment (TV, washing machine, mattresses, bed, everything) and hand over the keys to the landlord.

Most of the stuff is already packed up in boxes, Jenny has been doing that for 2 weeks now. A few of our colleagues meet us at the apartment to help us carry the stuff.
There's a lot of laughing and joing and a LOT of hard work.
Arrey, most of the stuff? I am sure you meant ALL of the stuff lol, as it took me days to do it!

Quote:
Jenny's washing machine weighs about 80 kilos (!!) and Thomas and I have a horrible time dragging it out of the basement and into the truck. Our hands are cold, the machine is wet and soap is dripping and the metal is cutting into our hands.
This is one of the moments when I am really really happy to be a woman and just refuse to do this kind of work hahaha. It was a murderous piece of washing machine - wow.

Quote:
As I've been warned, there is no rest for me. We're now on our way, truck and everything, to the Weihnachtsmarkt in Heilbronn. More friends and colleagues will meet us there.
We had a lovely farewell evening and Mr. Kapasi enjoyed all the traditional German Christmas food and Gluehwein. :-) Well, we did too lol. And it was well-deserved! The only annoying thing was that due to the heavy delay we were far behind schedule. by the time we left Heilbronn we already wanted to be in Bad Nauheim! Ah well... Guess that's life.

Oh, doesn't Sam look cute being asleep? I told my brother "watch it, he will fall asleep in 5 minutes" and guess what, he even topped this: within 2 minutes we were not surrounded by lovely music from the radio anymore but from rhythmic snoring. Haha

Quote:
One look at the door and I break into a smile seeing what the kids have stuck up on the door before going to bed.

Attachment 82404
Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Sam,

That "Welcome Sam" sign seals everything and says a lot, doesn't it ?

I feel if kids accept you with open hearts like this - then nothing else matters.

Congratulations friend.

ps - continue with the story and finish it before you land here, you will go underground once you land
That welcome sign was quite sweet yes. Even I was surprised and I was so tired I totally oversaw it until Sam burst out "ooooh look".

Anyways, as to your P.S. I am not so sure. You guys here only got lucky to get bits and pieces of the story already because Sam is always up early (grrr) and I am still asleep haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sar View Post
Hope you & Jenny had a Merry Christmas. I can totally understand all the packing since we just packed our entire home and belongings just last week. Wish you both all the very best, with the move, especially to you Jenny, as I can imagine it will be emotional on so many levels. All the best to both of you, from the Allenby family.
We had some very nice Christmas days indeed. We will tell more about it as the story continues but so far we can say we had a very lovely time!

Emotional on many levels: yes, this is very true! I think it will only dawn on me when I am actually already in India, smile!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Oh-so-dodgy to have a schedule depending on a flight arrival time! Even in Germany!

A belated Happy Christmas to you guys and 'your family' there
Thanks Nick!
Btw, Frankfurt is quite reliable, lol, that's why I planned the rest of the day accordingly. I used to work for Fraport's Marketing dept. once and I know that Frankfurt airport is famous for his quick luggage handling etc. So even if he had been late (which he was) he would have been out quickly if it hadn't been for the stupid mistake they made! Sigh...
Old 26th December 2008, 17:22   #114
Senior - BHPian

Great blog Sam - the stuff that romantic dreams are made of!

Jenny is sure a lucky girl to have a guy like you. Of course you would be luckier of the two

All the best to you guys for the new chapter in your lives!

Hope (hoping against hope?) to catch up once both of you land back in Mumbai.
Old 26th December 2008, 17:28   #115
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne® View Post
It was the most annoying arrival ever! First he arrives one hour late, and then this tiny little carton takes TWO hours to come. It was really stupid.
No gain without any pain!
Hope , you both are enjoying x-mas.
Old 26th December 2008, 17:30   #116
Senior - BHPian

Mr Yeti, its really time you start that blog of yours.
Man its just too amazing to even think about. I can imagine how much fun you would be having when the blog is so much fun to read about.
Congrats , A Merry Christmas and a happy new year to you guys
Old 26th December 2008, 17:48   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Jenny, my recent trip Chennai/Heathrow/Chennai was marked by really long waits for luggage both ends. At the Heathrow end there was a cab waiting for me; back home, my wife sitting by the door, waiting with my welcoming cup of tea ready for me .

A little English for you: you didn't oversee the sign on the door, you overlooked it. Actually, the more I think about it the more complicated it gets:

To oversee (past tense oversaw) is to supervise

To overlook (past tense overlooked) is to not notice something

but

an oversight is something that you overlooked!!!!!

---now I'm confused about my own language; better ask Sam <Blush>
Old 26th December 2008, 19:13   #118
BANNED

I can only say one thing: Sam! Please keep on typing.
This is by far one of the best from you.

Wish you all the best! :cheers:
Old 26th December 2008, 20:06   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedzak View Post
I can only say one thing: Sam! Please keep on typing.
It would be a serious oversight if he did not

Must add "...and posting photos". How magical the German Christmas looks
Old 26th December 2008, 20:10   #120
BANNED

Sam and Jenny, this is shaping out quite nice. I am now thrown back to days just before my own - engagement to marriage was a mere 1 month. ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
To oversee (past tense oversaw) is to supervise

To overlook (past tense overlooked) is to not notice something

but

an oversight is something that you overlooked!!!!!

---now I'm confused about my own language; better ask Sam <Blush>
Thad, those words mean different in US and England, IIRC.

Oversight - in US means to "supervise". In England, this word means not to notice something. (ok, using very unambiguous words, so Heisenberg's uncertainty principle would apply).

Edit:- It is refreshing to note that roads in the "west" look exactly the same they show in films - wide, spacious and disciplined traffic.

Last edited by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR : 26th December 2008 at 20:15.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks