Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2012, 08:40   #361
Senior - BHPian

re: Sunglasses you own and wear thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Any recommended store around bannerghatta road(Jayanager, JP Nager, HSRLayout, BTM) in bangalore to get Polarized sunglasses? Also, with budget of around 5K what will be the best brand that I can get.
Looking specifically for driving purposes.
Most of the chain stores and big retailers sell at MRP. Try Maujims at a reputed optical shop. MRP starts at 6790 for breakwall and simliar models with polycarbonate lenses with plus 2 technology. Real light weight and durable. These would be a better bet than fashion brand sun wear. I am sure someone will sell the same to you within your budget. Cheers.
Old 2nd April 2012, 11:46   #362
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

Just got my Ray ban wayfarer with prescription Lens from rayban rox and honestly I feel really good now. As all these days I used ray ban, Miami blue, fast track were non prescription and always felt the discomfort wearing them.
The only thing with ray ban rox that they only make poly carbonate lenses against the original wayfarer that had glass lens.

Last edited by trammway : 2nd April 2012 at 12:04.
Old 2nd April 2012, 12:49   #363
BHPian

I am looking to buy myself a pair of good sunglasses. My budget is around 5 to 8K and thinking of Rayban or carrera. A lot of stores advertise selling them but I doubt the products in those stores being fake. Any recommended reliable store in Chennai (preferebly around Anna Nagar, Nungambakkam) that have wide variety of sunglasses with nominal price?
Old 2nd April 2012, 13:09   #364
Senior - BHPian

Since the time I spotted Rayban Aviators on a Readers Digest Ad in the late eighties/early nineties, this has been my one and only favourite.
I am presently into my third pair, but lately feel a bid bad. The Aviators have been massively popularized by Salman in Dabanng, and now every Tom, Deeck and Harry sports this.
Still my favourite and I don't intend to shift my loyalty.
Old 2nd April 2012, 18:54   #365
BHPian

Guys - i have been looking Oakley Jury - Metallic brown frame, i am not able find it in Bangalore. Any pointers please
Old 3rd April 2012, 14:01   #366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Guys,

The only thing with ray ban rox that they only make poly carbonate lenses against the original wayfarer that had glass lens.
Siva Anna, You can get glass lens in Rx with tint, however only without polarization filters and in minimum base curves, so it will not fit in curved frames, sport styles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy28 View Post
Any recommended reliable store in Chennai (preferebly around Anna Nagar, Nungambakkam) that have wide variety of sunglasses with nominal price?
You could try Turakhia, I cannot comment on nominal price though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_libran View Post
Still my favourite and I don't intend to shift my loyalty.
Every third fashion brand has an aviator style today. Trust me try something different. Back then options were less, today you have better technology and better lens materials.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chalu View Post
Guys - i have been looking Oakley Jury - Metallic brown frame, i am not able find it in Bangalore. Any pointers please
I will pass you on a number in Bangalore. He might be able to help.
Old 3rd April 2012, 14:40   #367
BHPian

Any trustworthy opticals in Chennai who deliver RayBan (Way Farer, Aviator, Predator etc.) prescription sun-glasses? I don't mind the money if it is a genuine product.

Is there a "max. allowed" lens power? For example, I am -5.75.
Old 3rd April 2012, 14:46   #368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay
Every third fashion brand has an aviator style today. Trust me try something different. Back then options were less, today you have better technology and better lens materials.
I know... I have also briefly tried Sidestreet etc. But nothing replaces the Aviators for me. :-)
Old 3rd April 2012, 17:01   #369
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
GKB, I Gate Opticals, Lawrence and Mayo etc - Buy yourself a pair of Carrera sunglasses @ ~5k. Very good value and excellent for driving. UV400 and so on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Most of the chain stores and big retailers sell at MRP. Try Maujims at a reputed optical shop. MRP starts at 6790 for breakwall and simliar models with polycarbonate lenses with plus 2 technology. Real light weight and durable. These would be a better bet than fashion brand sun wear. I am sure someone will sell the same to you within your budget. Cheers.
Thanks for the response. I already got a POLAROID sunglass(polarized). It cost me Rs 4400 with a Polaroid watch free.
Old 4th April 2012, 10:23   #370
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
Siva Anna, You can get glass lens in Rx with tint, however only without polarization filters and in minimum base curves, so it will not fit in curved frames, sport styles.

Hi Beejay, I'm sure I agree with you about the tinted non Rayban glass lens in Rx, but as you rightly said it is not polarization filter and also not from Rayban.

The one I got on my way farer is from Rayban rox (Rx lens brand from Rayban) with polarization. All I mentioned is that Rayban Rox didn't have glass lenses and all their proscription lenses are either plastic or poly carbonate.

here is a picture clicked from the store display where I ordered my sunglass.
Sunglasses you own and wear thread-img00503201203041422.jpg

Last edited by trammway : 4th April 2012 at 10:25.
Old 4th April 2012, 11:08   #371
BHPian

HI All,

Recently picked up Persol 3021 S from Dubai.
Its a polarised crystal lenses Sunglasses handmade. Using it regularly and i am loving it completely. The polarisation is awesome and fits perfect.

PO3021S - 24/57 - Havana - Brown - Acetate - All Styles Collection - Persol Eyewear - USA

thanks
MSVG
Old 4th April 2012, 16:03   #372
Senior - BHPian

Dear all,

Just picked up a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses.

Though I have been looking out for these, luckily chanced upon them on FB album of Benny John, a fellow Jeeper, friend who deals in Maui Jim's. A huge array/ models to choose from on Benny's FB album, finalized on Mahina.

Spoke to Benny, got a very good price than the label, he shipped it to me within two days.

Love the feel, comfort and the lens quality is second to none, though I have been wearing Serengeti's for 16 straight years.

The ST (super thin) glass lens are unbelievably light and the vision is something to be experienced, Maui Jim's are known as the RR of sunglasses for their craftsmanship and lens quality.

I made a right choice at a very affordable price, still continue to prize my Serengeti's though.
Regards,

Me and my new Maui's
Sunglasses you own and wear thread-maui-jim-017.jpg
This below claim is not exaggerated.
Sunglasses you own and wear thread-395412_10150542138707186_673792185_9433710_1485976838_n.jpg
Old 4th April 2012, 17:51   #373
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazalaliadil View Post
Dear all,

Just picked up a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses.

Though I have been looking out for these, luckily chanced upon them on FB album of Benny John, a fellow Jeeper, friend who deals in Maui Jim's. A huge array/ models to choose from on Benny's FB album, finalized on Mahina.

Spoke to Benny, got a very good price than the label, he shipped it to me within two days.

Love the feel, comfort and the lens quality is second to none, though I have been wearing Serengeti's for 16 straight years.

The ST (super thin) glass lens are unbelievably light and the vision is something to be experienced, Maui Jim's are known as the RR of sunglasses for their craftsmanship and lens quality.

I made a right choice at a very affordable price, still continue to prize my Serengeti's though.
Regards,

Me and my new Maui's
Attachment 911591
This below claim is not exaggerated.
Attachment 911592

Thanks a lot for your kind words Fazal Sir, means a lot to me. Again, welcome to color.
Old 6th April 2012, 20:46   #374
Senior - BHPian

Re: Predator

Quote:
Originally Posted by predatorwheelz View Post
Well I've been a spec wearing nerd most of my life (5.5 in one eye and 5.5 in the other). About 2 years ago I switched to contacts and bought my first pair of shades, a Rayban Predator RB 3194. Its been my first and only loved pair.

Since then I've bought a Blue lens Fast Track, been gifted 2 - another Fast Track and an Aviator design sunglass of a strange brand called "Chivas"! But the Predator continues to be the most comfortable pair of shades, so I wear it always. I wear it during driving, playing, hikes - what not. Always been comfortable, and the external lacquering still shows no sign of wear.
The Predators broke in late 2011, after 4 years of rigorous use. While the Fast Track and the "Chivas" continued to do duty, the need for a good polarized brand was being felt. So went in for a pair of Polaroid P4240B today. They're aviators, and they're a beautiful shade of bluish grey. Just 3780 bucks.

Sunglasses you own and wear thread-p4240b-2.jpg
Old 12th April 2012, 23:42   #375
BHPian

buying sunglasses online

I want cheap sunglasses for wearing in beaches this May.
Where can I buy them online?

Is Fastrack sunglasses good? (costing around Rs.700/-).
Is Fastrack Official Online Store, Watches, Sunglasses, and Leather Accessories website safe?

What about ebay?

Most Viewed