Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2010, 09:46   #496
Senior - BHPian

I have been quitting off and on but the only long stretch was in 2008 where i did not smoke for 11 months in a row.

Currently i smoke only in the weekdays ( mon-fri ) and no smoking on the weekends as i don't get the craving when my family is around. I guess it's the workplace stress that makes me smoke during the weekdays.
Old 1st April 2010, 15:45   #497
BHPian

BUMP!!! 7 days and counting
Old 1st April 2010, 15:48   #498
BHPian

3 years and counting
Old 5th April 2010, 18:50   #499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcon009 View Post
3 years and counting
Ohh man i just wish I get there, Planning to frame a pack of Marlboro and keep it at home, staring is what all i can do now
Old 5th April 2010, 19:09   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
Ohh man i just wish I get there, Planning to frame a pack of Marlboro and keep it at home, staring is what all i can do now
Don't stare at it, you may light one in your sleep..
Old 5th April 2010, 20:26   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
Don't stare at it, you may light one in your sleep..

2 months 10 days and counting
Old 6th April 2010, 10:01   #502
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
We all know that smoking causes many health issues. One of the serious problems are that you have free radicals attack your system. One ciggaratte apparently produces a TRILLION free radicals. For what are free radicals in our life read the section Free Radicals in Biology at this link- Radical (chemistry) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Anti-oxidants are a MUST for our system to reduce and prevent free radical damage. If you are a smoker- YOU MUST MUST get onto anti -oxidants(Antioxidant - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
My wife specializes in nutrition and preventive health care( internationally certified). She has worked with several people who are smokers and helped them to build up their health system which has been damaged due to smoking. Her friend who is a doctor and deals with many cases of smokers( some even pre-cancer stage) where lesions happen in the mouth has found SUPERB results with my wife's nutrition consultation and advise.
This is for your health- PM me if you would like a FREE consultation. If you have quit or still planning to, the damage caused needs to be compensated. To follow suggestions given will be all in your hands
Seeing the people who have benefited, i am sharing this here, hope some of you take action.
To those who are counting the days- hope the count does not end and its a permanent kick to the "butt".
Just reminding again- do look at this as the damage caused to the body is significant and it needs replenishing. Make use of the info and free offer
Old 6th April 2010, 12:43   #503
BHPian

Been over 3 months and counting. In the process, I seem to have inspired two of my friends to quit as well. These guys were chain smokers (2 packs a day) and have been off cigarettes for 2 months now.

All of us feel healthier now. The only downside is that I'm putting on weight and have developed an insatiable appetite for red meat.
Old 6th April 2010, 13:34   #504

Interesting thread. I had been a smoker since my college days. I gave it up last year after 10 years. I used to smoke 8-10 cigarettes a day. Sometimes more. I had been trying to quit for sometime. But that rarely lasted more than a week.

Finally last year, I quit cold turkey, with a lot of support from my wife. I had the usual withdrawal symptoms: irritability, bad temper, and a constant craving. I took up running to combat it. The years of cigarettes had reduced my stamina to pathetic levels. So I could manage only 5-6 minutes of running on the treadmill without slowing down to a crawl. I took it up as a challenge, and now, i am in much better shape and can manage 30 minutes of running easily.

I would recommend taking up running, or any such regular activity to anyone trying to quit. For a regular smoker, the improvements in fitness after quitting is remarkable. Soon the kick provided by the Endorphins replaces the one by Nicotine, in a good way! :-)

I have been staying clean for more time than I have ever been since I started smoking. Truthfully, I do have off days, in which the cravings come back. I just go and have a jog or do some physical activity, until I get my control back. Hopefully, I will stay clean for many more years to come.

In my opinion smoking is an addiction, and harmful to health. But then so is eating fast food, speeding, and a million other things. It is a personal choice whether to quit smoking or not. Nobody but yourself can make you quit smoking. Others might be able to influence the decision. But the outcome is in your hands alone.
Old 12th April 2010, 20:01   #505
BHPian

BUMP!!! 18 days in a row...I cant believe this is actually happening. I smoked for 10 years guys. craving now a days is not that much. effects are good and positive.
Old 12th April 2010, 20:33   #506
BHPian

reduce numbers by diverting to some thing else (driving,eating, touring etc..)

try super light stuffs like Malboro Gold,Davidoff One etc... less of CO and nictotine, once body get adjusted reduce numbers

Stop and divert

pray to God to give will power
Old 13th April 2010, 00:05   #507
BHPian

There are various ways in which a person can be talked into quitting smoking. Peer advice, a serious talk with a person closest to your heart, emotional black mailing from family members, etc. Most of the times it doesn't work. If it has for some of you guys then thats really great.

I started smoking during college days and had been smoking almost a pack for about 6 years. Now i know that smoking for six years couldn't cause much damage to the lungs or any other major organs or tissues. But last march when i got diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, i had to do something. The whole experience is something i do now want anybody, and i really mean anybody to go through. I was lucky that the tumor was localized in the bone under my left knee itself and was in the initial stages.

This was my reason to quit smoking. I know that its a little uncomfortable to read this and as much disturbing as it sounds, some of you guys wouldn't quit even after reading this.

This theory always brings me to a single conclusion. There has to be a permanent mental or physical change which would trigger a person to immediately quit smoking or any other habit for that matter. Coaxing and talking only helps so much. Its a lifestyle choice.

Bornin70s
Old 13th April 2010, 03:09   #508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornin70s View Post
There are various ways in which a person can be talked into quitting smoking. Peer advice, a serious talk with a person closest to your heart, emotional black mailing from family members, etc. Most of the times it doesn't work. If it has for some of you guys then thats really great.

I started smoking during college days and had been smoking almost a pack for about 6 years. Now i know that smoking for six years couldn't cause much damage to the lungs or any other major organs or tissues. But last march when i got diagnosed with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma, i had to do something. The whole experience is something i do now want anybody, and i really mean anybody to go through. I was lucky that the tumor was localized in the bone under my left knee itself and was in the initial stages.

This was my reason to quit smoking. I know that its a little uncomfortable to read this and as much disturbing as it sounds, some of you guys wouldn't quit even after reading this.

This theory always brings me to a single conclusion. There has to be a permanent mental or physical change which would trigger a person to immediately quit smoking or any other habit for that matter. Coaxing and talking only helps so much. Its a lifestyle choice.

Bornin70s
Whoah man I'm happy for you that it was detected early. Would you mind sharing how you detected it and how it was diagnosed as a Lymphoma? This may help others watch out for warning signs

cheers
Old 13th April 2010, 19:38   #509
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Whoah man I'm happy for you that it was detected early. Would you mind sharing how you detected it and how it was diagnosed as a Lymphoma? This may help others watch out for warning signs

cheers
Its amazing that most of you guys have given up on the C stick. Hang on!!
The craving will go slowly.

Wolfheart, hope this won't be off topic.

For the record, Non Hodgkin Lymphoma (NHL) isn't caused by smoking. There is no particular reason. Mostly its genetic. Probably my great grandfather's great grandfather had it. No one knows.

I had a pain in my left Tibia, (which is the long bone under the knee) for about two years. That pain used to cause another nerve spasm which used to be similar to spasms caused by sitting on an office chair for a long period of time.
I was mostly told to exercise and sit straight. Two years and no respite later i felt a small lump near my calf muscle (on the bone). Went straight to Wockhardt Bannerghatta and took a full body MRI. The lump looked odd, a biopsy happened a day later and a few days later NHL was confirmed. The lump was trying to push its way out from the inside but was detected early. Luckily it didn't spread. Stage one NHL is not very dangerous with survival rate up to 92 or 95%.

Had to undergo 6 chemotherapy sessions and 25 radiation sittings. Took almost a year to return back to normal. Totally fine now and doing what i love to do always. TRAVEL.

Coming to the point of watching out for signs. Sometimes there are none. Sometimes some signs can go unnoticed or mistaken for something else. Good doctors are always helpful. Cancer can hit anybody. No mercy. Just hope that your genes are good and live a healthy lifestyle. Oh and please don't smoke.
Old 14th April 2010, 21:38   #510
BHPian

@born in 70's

Thanks for sharing buddy. Wish you good health for many many years!

@Throttleking

To stay off the butt is as easy or as difficult as you make it to be. It can be as simple as just avoiding that first puff/drag. Train your mind, it's more of a habit than an addiction. Good Luck!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks