Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2010, 12:20   #526
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Mobike008. I had my last cigarette on Sept 01, 2008..
Looks like quitting date is going to be etched on mind of every smoker who quits smoking

Quote:
A smoker is a convict on parole. One cigarette and its back to jail. --a quote I read someplace.
Absolutely. Lets enjoy the parole time judiciously

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Last 27th May I completed two years without a puff. BBlost great going brother. Mobike great effort. Don't give up the resolve. I still get those urges once in a while. When the cravings hit you do anything but pick up the cig.
Thanks. You guys are veterans. Hope my resolve lasts similarly.
Old 1st June 2010, 14:35   #527
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't remember the exact date, but I do remember making the decision (I recall where I was, who I was with, etc) to have stopped by by 40th birthday, and I embarked on a course (I think it was 3 months) of nicotine patches . Somewhere, I've got the chart, with the no-cigarettes-today red star on it.

I had the odd one in the first couple of weeks --- but cut short the end of the course by a week or so, and had become not only a non-smoker but nicotine free by that birthday. So, nearly 18 years now
Old 1st June 2010, 14:52   #528
BHPian

Hey Guys,

It's been over 5 months now and I'm still off the cigarettes. I've developed another addiction though, I'm hooked to red meat ever since I've quit smoking. Chicken and fish just don't cut it for me anymore. I need to devour steak, mince, mutton, trotters you name it! I'm craving meat all the time! Help!
Old 1st June 2010, 17:54   #529
Distinguished - BHPian

after just a few months your body is still adjusting. Just be glad you weren't a vegetarian before!

Give it time
Old 1st June 2010, 18:31   #530
BHPian

My story:

- Started smoking in 1987. Yes, first year in college, freedom, cool thing to do, etc etc...

- Was a full time smoker by the time I graduated. Wills Navy Cut, Gold Flake, etc etc, and beedies too..

- Spent most of bachelorhood smoking like a chimney. 15, 20 cigarettes a day, sometimes more.

- Started to think about possible after effects after marriage and first kid was born. ( never smoked at home, always used to step out into the streets to do. At least I didnt make passive smokers of family members )

- Stopped smoking on Sept 1st 2000 purely on an internal impulse , no planning, no outside pressure of any serious nature, no immediate health concerns. That is 13 years after I started smoking.

- Threw the last few cigarettes into a dustbin and then decided not to pick up a cigarette again.

- Didnt think too much about having to stop for ever etc, just got disgusted with the fact that I had become a slave to the stick and wanted to get out of it.

- First two days were quite tough. Kept telling myself to see this as a game. who will win?

- My eyes and nails ( which had a dull yellow cast ) started clearing up in the first week itself. My face started filling up slowly, and some of the small wrinkles I had, disappeared ( I was 32 then! )

- Once the first week had passed, I knew i had won at least for the time being.

- Had a number of situations with friends, where it was easy to have another drag, but held back. Was quite tough.

- Anyways, havent smoked since then. dont even think about it now.

- I was 55 kgs when i stopped smoking, started picking up weight gradually, and am actually a bit overweight now ( 78 kg ). But manageable.

- Observed considerable improvement in appetite after I quit smoking.

The lesson I learnt is that there is no point in spending a lot of time planning about quitting. Just quit and never look back. Fight the pangs for one weeks and promise yourself never to touch.

I remember taking out a cigarette from my friend's cigarette case recently and running it against the nose. Memories started flooding in, and from somewhere a small urge.. but thats a game I play with myself sometimes. So far so good.

Last edited by Bigzero : 1st June 2010 at 18:36.
Old 1st June 2010, 18:44   #531
BHPian

Its been 2 years since i quit but nowadays due to strress i crave for cigarettes badly man, the cravings so bad that last night i dreamt i was smoking lights.....
Old 2nd June 2010, 13:14   #532
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
after just a few months your body is still adjusting. Just be glad you weren't a vegetarian before!

Give it time
I guess so!

Well, it better adjust quick before my arteries get choked and my heart explodes! Heck this is more dangerous than smoking!
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:02   #533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
I guess so!

Well, it better adjust quick before my arteries get choked and my heart explodes! Heck this is more dangerous than smoking!
Dude just relax, Drink 4 litres of water per day, get a pack of green tea, have it after lunch & dinner. if you BMI is way high, hit the gym

Myself being a smoker, I think nothing is more dangerous than smoking, not even the occasional/regular drinking & cannabis.

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 2nd June 2010 at 14:10.
Old 2nd June 2010, 14:44   #534
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
if you BMI is way high, hit the gym

Myself being a smoker, I think nothing is more dangerous than smoking, not even the occasional/regular drinking & cannabis.
Yes! Phase one of my "get healthy" plan was to quit smoking. Phase 2 - play a lot of sports and hit the gym. Anyone in Mumbai interested in playing volleyball on the beach? (juhu)

PS: I'm also a big fan of Mr. Wongraven aka Satyr!
Old 2nd June 2010, 17:29   #535
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
Your saying the other way round. Eating so much red meat will block your arteries not by not having them

Today is my 7th day of being free from smoke and i didnt even get an urge even once.
Old 3rd June 2010, 15:36   #536
BHPian

Quote:
The basic changes in my quality of life make it worth it.
I am never worried about stinking the place up.

Almost a month after I stopped smoking, I happened to be in an elevator with some one who had just smoked.
For the first time I felt truly sorry for my family who put up with such a noxious smell.
That is my driving force.

I will never subject my family to the horridness that is smoking.

A smoker is a convict on parole. One cigarette and its back to jail. --a quote I read someplace.
Couldnt agree more Imran, very well said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Looks like quitting date is going to be etched on mind of every smoker who quits smoking
Very much After all I smoked for 10 years

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigzero View Post
The lesson I learnt is that there is no point in spending a lot of time planning about quitting. Just quit and never look back. Fight the pangs for one weeks and promise yourself never to touch.
very true, I have seen many people who plan but dont quit effectively.

Quote:
Your saying the other way round. Eating so much red meat will block your arteries not by not having them

Today is my 7th day of being free from smoke and i didnt even get an urge even once.
Great going, all the best. Watch out for those special occasions.
Old 4th June 2010, 17:50   #537
BHPian

Quote:

Keep it up man and keep away from the meat also!
Old 20th June 2010, 06:30   #538
Senior - BHPian

Well my situation is little different here.

Have been smoking since last 13 years but not more than 2-3 a day with exceptions to when i was in hostel ( used to smoke around 8-9 ).

The current situation is i smoke 2 cigs a day in the weekdays and NONE during the weekends. Drink atleast 2 litres of water everyday and hit the gym2-3 times a week.
Old 20th June 2010, 09:50   #539
BHPian

20 days and counting without smoking :)

Hi Guys,
I have been smoking since 14 years and on th 1st June 2010 when i got up and i lighted a smoking, suddenly got a thought why not leave it.
I had only taken 2 puffs and i threw the Cigarette, and since that day i didn't touch it any more.

Hoping this was the last of Davidoff classic i will ever see.

Its little hard when you have 3-4 friends smoking in the same room, but i am very strong. Will not let Davidoff win
Old 20th June 2010, 10:18   #540
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfikar View Post
Hi Guys,
I have been smoking since 14 years and on th 1st June 2010 when i got up and i lighted a smoking, suddenly got a thought why not leave it.
I had only taken 2 puffs and i threw the Cigarette, and since that day i didn't touch it any more.

Hoping this was the last of Davidoff classic i will ever see.

Its little hard when you have 3-4 friends smoking in the same room, but i am very strong. Will not let Davidoff win
All the best Zilfikar.It's already 20 days since you've been winning .

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks