Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th July 2007, 12:27   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Thats the way to go about it, Bernard - dont get too serious about it. I stopped quite casually and with the same attitude ("Let me see how long this goes on"). Its been 20 days now.
Thanks for that. In general though I am too cynical. The urge to smoke comes quite often while I am at office. :(
Old 31st July 2007, 09:15   #122
Senior - BHPian

ok.. thats it... I am quitting too...

Godfather
Old 31st July 2007, 14:08   #123
BHPian

By the looks of it we can have a meet very soon with all the members who has quit smoking after browsing thru this thread -
Old 31st July 2007, 16:16   #124
BHPian

hi guys,

ive been smoking since i was 12 years old i guess. now its almost 14 years. i started with a cig a day, now i smoke 30 a day.

this habit started when my bro came back from his boarding school for a holiday. he had begun smoking and he dragged me in too. no, im wrong. he didnt drag me, he forced me. but who is at fault? iam. because it was my decision to smoke.

what i wanna say is, its you who decide to start smoking and it your decision if you want to quit. no one can force me to quit until i myself want to.

everyone knows smoking is bad for your health but think about others who are getting affected due to your smoking. your family, your friends are equally at risk. passive smoking is as bad for health as smoking.

i have realized this fact and my first step is not to smoke in my room. because my wife's health went down and the reason is smoke. sooner or later im going to quit. that is for sure. and for me its just one day i have to resist and the job is done.

also i used to drink everyday. i have stopped that. i used to have around 4 large drinks daily. now i only drink when i go out. and that comes to around once or twice a month. and not more than 3.

so guys it your decision. no one can force you to quit. if you quit because some one forces you to, sooner or later you will start again. so its you who has to decide.

cheers
clip
Old 1st August 2007, 00:08   #125
Senior - BHPian

Three months have passed, not a puff. So far so good. Still get cravings occasionally, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
A dozen days completed, still on track. Dont feel the urge anymore!
Worst cravings came one month after quitting.
Old 9th January 2008, 15:30   #126
Senior - BHPian

I had been smoking for almost the past 20 years with around 3 or 4 breaks ranging from 2 weeks - nearly 2 years maximum.

Last attempt was on 1997 and it was more than 10 yrs ever since the last attempt.

All these facts were running across my mind during the last smoke of the day on last Saturday. All of sudden decided not to smoke from Sunday (6th Jan'07) and was able to successfully get away with it for the past 3 days and going strong.

This time Iam sure I can quit it forever, hmmmm.......

SUCCESS IS A JOURNEY NOT A DESTINATION

ps

Drink lots of water, one will feel very sleepy and that will automatically disappear as days go,

Quote:
Worst cravings came one month after quitting.
Thanks for the alert p_h

Last edited by Surprise : 9th January 2008 at 15:42.
Old 9th January 2008, 16:03   #127
Senior - BHPian

i am not able to quit - tried that a couple of times. but have reduced the number of sticks.
Old 9th January 2008, 16:45   #128
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
i am not able to quit - tried that a couple of times. but have reduced the number of sticks.
Just do it planet !!! Let Jan31 be your last stick...You can attend your Feb1 mandatory meet fresh, pure and confident

Abhi
Old 9th January 2008, 16:47   #129
BHPian

hmmm..hadn't noticed this thread.. i need a cigarette now
Old 9th January 2008, 16:49   #130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surprise View Post
All of sudden decided not to smoke from Sunday (6th Jan'07) and was able to successfully get away with it for the past 3 days and going strong.

This time Iam sure I can quit it forever, hmmmm.......

SUCCESS IS A JOURNEY NOT A DESTINATION

ps

Drink lots of water, one will feel very sleepy and that will automatically disappear as days go,

Thanks for the alert p_h
Good Thinking. If you make up your mind, you can do it.

A good friend of mine quit when he got married & for more than a year he's been holding on. Before he quit, he was 'pack a day' boy.
Old 9th January 2008, 16:50   #131
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet_rocker View Post
On a Lighter note
dont try to reduce the number of sticks, just stub each stick half way, so you automatically reduce smoking to half!! Im doing it successfully for 2 monthsw now.
I also happen to hold ITC shares so this thread though good, is not so good for my business interests
Old 9th January 2008, 16:55   #132
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooby05 View Post
On a Lighter note
dont try to reduce the number of sticks, just stub each stick half way, so you automatically reduce smoking to half!! Im doing it successfully for 2 monthsw now.
yup! i have been doing that as well. 19-20-21. thanks scooby!

@ abhi - will definitely try to do it. thanks!
Old 9th January 2008, 17:05   #133
Senior - BHPian

Well the worst thing about quitting is after a week i was rewarding myself coz i was not smoking for a week. Thought of having a cig and that day it started again. All people i met on that fateful day were smokers. So the habit picked up again. Well i was foolish to have done that. I feel if someone is quitting it should be for the sake of the person himself and not for a girl. The girl ditches you and the first thing to get back at her is the ciggi
Old 9th January 2008, 17:29   #134
BHPian

totally agree with this. I quit once around 2 years back and stuck to it for almost 6 months. And my then girlfriend asked me to quit when I restarted; everytime I would have a fight with her, this was my way of getting back at her, not a very mature one though.
Old 9th January 2008, 17:58   #135
Senior - BHPian

@scooby05 Well ITC has realised that only selling ciggis wont help and thats why they are entering other segments like Food products, Clothing and retail. Well they have been in the hotel industry too. Selling ciggis or manufacturing them is not very profitable due to all the taxes and the number of health issues which surrounds it. One more point is that there is no scope for advertisements

Most Viewed