Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st December 2017, 17:23   #1606
Senior - BHPian

Re: Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Another entry to this thread!
Good going! I'm completing 5 years in Mar '18 and theres no looking back. Just like you I hadn't spent a single day without smoking since I lit my first stick in '95. And just dropped it on Mar 04 2013 with no prior intention to do so. The last few years I was averaging 25-35 a day.

Zero withdrawal symptoms, and no urge to get back at all. In fact I now detest it and wonder how I managed all those years! I also realized that a lot of smoking was completely unnecessary and purely because of force of habit to while time, to be one with the smoking gang etc.

The health benefits are just too awesome. In my case, the skin on my face had turned dark, patchy and oily. All that is gone. I had a lot of hairfall, thats completely stopped too. Lips were black/ purple and mouth permanently felt like an ashtray. Mornings too feel sooo much better.

No doubt your appetite will soar now, but thanks to your LCHF diet you wont probably put on too much weight even if you over eat. In my case I turned up the dials by around 15 kgs in the first year and then stabilized.

All the best!
Old 1st January 2018, 02:52   #1607
Distinguished - BHPian

My appetite did not soar, but I did put on a little weight, which was fine, as I was always unnaturally thin.
Old 1st January 2018, 10:57   #1608
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bass&Trouble View Post
Good going! I'm completing 5 years in Mar '18 and theres no looking back.
Thanks man

Quote:
I also realized that a lot of smoking was completely unnecessary and purely because of force of habit to while time, to be one with the smoking gang etc.
Very true. And some habit this turned out to be.

Quote:
I had a lot of hairfall, thats completely stopped too.
As someone just entering the 40s, that's awesome to hear .

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
This will change.
Really? I used to love the smell of cigarette smoke even before I started smoking (Dad was a smoker).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Have a similar thing with coffee: the smell is wonderful, makes my mouth water
Oh yes! Nothing quite like the aroma of coffee.
Old 1st January 2018, 11:51   #1609
BHPian

Quote:
Done & finished.
My heartfelt congratulations GTO! I feel so happy, that the legendary moderator of the most respected automotive community of India has finally kicked a deadly habit. You will surely be an inspiration to many out there. There are bigger and better things, expected of you, and the community deserves it. If you ever have a strong craving again, grab your keys and go for a drive, for I am sure that driving is more addictive than smoking that stupid little stick.

Cheers ! Love and Live to Drive !!
Old 2nd January 2018, 13:19   #1610
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKBLADE View Post
My heartfelt congratulations GTO!
Thank you for the wishes .

Quote:
If you ever have a strong craving again, grab your keys and go for a drive, for I am sure that driving is more addictive than smoking that stupid little stick.
Will do . I'm still at the stage where I feel that driving on an empty highway is better with a cigarette than without, but I'm sure I'll get over that feeling.

It was a ticking time bomb man. Just happy to have dropped it.

Last edited by GTO : 2nd January 2018 at 13:20.
Old 3rd January 2018, 15:44   #1611
BHPian

Update after joining office: Two days gone. I had a few cravings every time there was a logical conclusion to the task I was working on. Started browsing Team-BHP for every craving and forgot about the smoke

Quote:

Like my brother. He smokes either 1 or 0 everyday. Never 2. I've never told him to quit because it's so low, and he's kept it at that level since years.
I'll suggest you to stop accompanying him for his smokes, if you are still doing that . Slowly, he will feel bored to go alone and may be he will stop too !
Old 7th January 2018, 19:27   #1612
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddy3008 View Post
Started browsing Team-BHP for every craving and forgot about the smoke

Quote:
I'll suggest you to stop accompanying him for his smokes, if you are still doing that . Slowly, he will feel bored to go alone and may be he will stop too !
For as far back as I can remember, he's always been a 1 cigarette / day (or 0 cigarette / day) man. Frankly, I've never even thought of telling him to quit and I probably wouldn't either if I'd be able to keep it that low. We recently went to a party from midnight to 4 a.m. In those 4 hours, he only smoked 5 - 6 puffs from someone else's cigarette.
Old 7th January 2018, 22:34   #1613
BHPian

Wow, this is motivation to a new level.
I've been smoking since an early age, around 15 and have been smoking for a decade now. Started off with 1 a week then gradually kept increasing and I'm at 15 a day and more if I'm out drinking and all of that. I think it's almost at 20 in 24 hours! Honestly I hate the habit, it's unwelcome, expensive and well, I've always thought of controlling/not really quitting but haven't managed to take any step further cause I can't control my urge of just lighting one up and relaxing. Yes, for 2-3 months it decreased cause of the gym but I've stopped that too.
Coming to the point, thanks GTO for the book, that's something I have to read ASAP cover to cover! It's going to be hard for sure, but I think I'm going to give it a try. If you guys can, so can I! Hope that stays
Old 8th January 2018, 15:35   #1614
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranvilleDsouza View Post
I can't control my urge of just lighting one up and relaxing.
Just go for it. The urges reduce & disappear with time. I hardly have them now.

Quote:
that's something I have to read ASAP cover to cover

Quote:
It's going to be hard for sure
It's frankly easier than one thinks. IMHO, cigarette companies have paid researchers to talk about *how difficult* it is to quit smoking, so that people don't try to quit / fail to quit / are easily overwhelmed. I can tell you it's a lot, lot easier than weight loss (unless you are doing LCHF, but that's a topic for another day ).
Old 8th January 2018, 16:14   #1615
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

It's frankly easier than one thinks. IMHO, cigarette companies have paid researchers to talk about *how difficult* it is to quit smoking, so that people don't try to quit / fail to quit / are easily overwhelmed. I can tell you it's a lot, lot easier than weight loss (unless you are doing LCHF, but that's a topic for another day ).
I beg to differ! It’s not EASY by any means. But it is SIMPLE. You just...don’t smoke!

Your comparison with LCHF is not an accident. Both require iron discipline. The only difference I can think of is that you can cheat occasionally with LCHF. No such luck with the smoke quit
Old 8th January 2018, 16:26   #1616
BHPian

In a dramatic announcement, Phillip Morris International (PMI), the makers of Marlboro cigarettes, has said that it will cease to manufacture cigarettes and replace them with alternatives such as e-cigarettes.

Source : http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/bus...76921.html/amp
Old 8th January 2018, 16:39   #1617
Senior - BHPian

Help smoking Team-BHP members quit smoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
In a dramatic announcement, Phillip Morris International (PMI), the makers of Marlboro cigarettes, has said that it will cease to manufacture cigarettes and replace them with alternatives such as e-cigarettes.

They just lost their best customer in GTO. Apparently they had an emergency board meeting the day GTO quit and this is the out come. :Uncontrol:

Is this really a move to ship out of tobacco cigarettes or a massive advertisement campaign?

Strange, when we are getting E cars, you get e cigarettes too.

Done with 40% of Allen Carr's book. Fingers crossed.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 8th January 2018 at 16:44.
Old 8th January 2018, 17:10   #1618
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
The only difference I can think of is that you can cheat occasionally with LCHF. No such luck with the smoke quit
It is absolutely not recommended, but one can cheat occasionally when giving up smoking. I had an occasional smoke in my first week or so, but the difference was...

... Previously, that one cigarette was failing to give up and was just the first of many more

... When I had made that absolute decision to be a non-smoker by July 4th 1992 (my 40th birthday) it was just one cigarette, and even if I had smoked one on July 3rd, my resolve was fixed. But here's the rub: cheating only makes it harder. So it is really, really better not to!
Old 9th January 2018, 12:39   #1619
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I beg to differ! It’s not EASY by any means. But it is SIMPLE. You just...don’t smoke!
I guess it varies from person to person. I've found it very easy (and Allen Carr's book definitely helped too).

Quote:
The only difference I can think of is that you can cheat occasionally with LCHF. No such luck with the smoke quit
Frankly, I'm going to light up a cigar on big occasions. Next is on my birthday @ 10th Feb. I'm not worried about it making me get back to cigarettes on a daily basis as I haven't gone back on anything once I commit to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by --gKrish-- View Post
Phillip Morris International (PMI), the makers of Marlboro cigarettes, has said that it will cease to manufacture cigarettes and replace them with alternatives such as e-cigarettes.
All bull man. It's a very polite way of announcing they're getting into the e-cigarette / vaping business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
They just lost their best customer in GTO. Apparently they had an emergency board meeting the day GTO quit and this is the out come.
Hahahaha.

Quote:
Done with 40% of Allen Carr's book. Fingers crossed.
Request: Read it at a faster pace. It'll have a greater effect that way.
Old 9th January 2018, 14:03   #1620
Distinguished - BHPian

GTO, I strongly recommend against special-occasion smoking of a cigar!

Unless your smoking was absolutely just habit, with no addiction, ie no craving or other symptoms when you stopped, then any tobacco can reset the craving/addiction back to square one. Whether it is after a day, a week, a year, or a decade since giving up.

It is also a major blast for your lungs and general health, still, after a few months, in the very early stages of recovery.

I have this with the other dangerous drug which is legal in our world. I never had even a mild level of addiction to it. Giving up was not so much a decision as noticing that it had been a while since my last drink. Sure, I could, once in awhile, and not even think about it until the next once in a while. But it is one not so good substance I cut out of my life, so I figure I might as well keep it that way. So no, even at xian weddings, I don't even sip.

And with tobacco, even though the first puff would hurt my lungs like fire, there is a serious risk that it would be the first of thousands more. After 25 years!

So I stay safe and avoid tobacco in any form at all. After so many years, what is the point of putting those substances in my body again? And taking a risk, a test I've seen too many others fail.

Last edited by Thad E Ginathom : 9th January 2018 at 14:05.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks