Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2014, 21:55   #5686
BHPian

Re: The English Movies Thread (No Spoilers Please)

Guardians of the Galaxy - 10/10

No words can describe this movie. Absolute & pure joy! Go. Watch. It. Now.
Old 9th August 2014, 23:27   #5687

Oh...I wasn't impressed with guardians of the galaxy. Too cliched and since Disney owns marvel studios, their movies are getting more and more racist/sexist. Have decided to only watch marvel movies written by joss whedon from now on! :-D
Old 12th August 2014, 00:10   #5688
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
Seeking Justice - 3/5 - One time watch

Another movie that starts off with showing of human emotions and wrong decisions taken. A good movie with good suspense of what is the motive of the antagonist. One time watch.

EDIT: PS: Just started watching The Interpretor. Its gripping. And Nicole Kidman is looking just wow !!!
The Interpretor - Rated 4/5

Well, Nicole Kidman is actually Just Wow !!!
Loved the movie. Slow, but interesting. Got a little confused towards the end, but then got back into the story. What I hated about the movie was the 'cool' discussions between Nicole and Sean. C'mon, a police officer treats every other suspect in a police way, not personal way. I didn't like this concept, it killed the police-suspect emotions.
Old 12th August 2014, 01:07   #5689
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourav9385 View Post

No words can describe this movie. Absolute & pure joy! Go. Watch. It. Now.
+1 to this!

Agree on the verdict - movie is absolute fun!

Rating: 9/10
Old 12th August 2014, 02:15   #5690
Senior - BHPian

Guardians of the Galaxy

Is it the best movie of 2014. Nope.
But, its the best in entertainment. Not a single dull moment. I had no idea about the characters and story line before going and had a blast. Must watch.
Rating-9/10
Old 13th August 2014, 15:30   #5691
GTO
Team-BHP Support

22 Jump Street

Lame story line & tired humour. Give yourself a break and skip this flick. I don't understand how such a poor movie got a 7.8 rating on imdb.

At best, I'll give it a 4. 2 hours wasted.
Old 14th August 2014, 13:55   #5692
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
22 Jump Street

Lame story line & tired humour. Give yourself a break and skip this flick. I don't understand how such a poor movie got a 7.8 rating on imdb.

IMDB ratings are all about how the viewers feel. It is not a website that provides us with reviews based on the critics' perspective. Rotten Tomatoes provides both the viewer's rating as well as the critic's. Humor and Sci-Fi has become cliched even more than our soap operas. They just give us the plot with different probabilities and proportions.
Old 16th August 2014, 03:55   #5693
Senior - BHPian

Arbitrage - 3/5

Nothing great to speak of.
Richard Gere was the only person for whom I watched the movie till the end. His acting made a lame story look interesting.

The Lincoln Lawyer - 4.5/5

Excellent storyline. Loved the twist and turns. Some were predective, but then there was a twist. Would recommend to watch this, if you are crime investigation fan.

300 - Rise of an Empire - 2/5

Wasn't there anything interesting left to potray in the movie ?
You killed my dad - I will kill you. Typical 90s' Bollywood storyline !!!
Onlything worth watching was the cinematography. But that too became monotonous with special effect blood and gore. The entire movie is dark and I felt bore and monotonous, so started forwarding the scenes.
Give it a skip if you are planning. Watch it if you have run out of movies, like I did.
Old 18th August 2014, 21:30   #5694
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soumyajit9 View Post
You killed my dad - I will kill you. Typical 90s' Bollywood storyline !!!
I haven't watched the movie. I understand 300 is set during Greek empire. During that time there was no justice system, similar to one we have currently. If a person was killed, it was the duty of that person's son kill the killer of his father. The king actually sanctioned this and was considered normal. As you can guess, this killing went on in circles and was subject of many Greek tragedies.

Later, when the Roman empire grew in prominence, they changed the justice system. The son need not kill his father's killer - state took over that responsibility. Roman highlighted this aspect of their administration to gain confidence of the people.
Old 18th August 2014, 23:03   #5695
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
22 Jump Street

22 Jump Street was lame , the humor of the 1st part was missing. IMHO 4 is a generous rating.
Bearable 2/5

Last edited by motorpsycho : 18th August 2014 at 23:04.
Old 19th August 2014, 07:57   #5696
Distinguished - BHPian

Movie: The Expendables 3

Rating: 2/5

All actions, with more and more previous generation action heroes entering the frame to play cameo roles. The story moves from one action-packed event to another; it's practically an extended Rohit Shetty movie with bikes, cars, tanks, helicopters and what not blowing up all the time!

Only saving grace is - actually none
Old 19th August 2014, 15:20   #5697
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
During that time there was no justice system, similar to one we have currently. If a person was killed, it was the duty of that person's son kill the killer of his father. The king actually sanctioned this and was considered normal. As you can guess, this killing went on in circles and was subject of many Greek tragedies.
Isn't Taken 1 & 2 similar to this?

I kidnap your daughter.hmmm, wait, so I come and kill you!
hmm, you kill my son, I come back and abduct you and wife so that I can kill you both!
Wait, you abduct my father and mother,hmm, I free them so they come and kill you(oh, that you is the father of the kidnapper from the first part, got it )
So, now part 3 will be: hmm, you kill my husband and son, I (mother of kidnapper from part 1) come and abduct your daughter and your, hmmm, son-in-law to kill. So movie will end with, hmm, you abduct my daughter and son-in-law to kill, wait, I come to get you.

Now director, suddenly realizes, hang on, isn't the story going in circles? Heck, who cares, I have achieved the rules of the Greek umpire
Old 19th August 2014, 16:01   #5698
Team-BHP Support

Amazing 3D experience at the IMAX, Wadala. The opening sequence had me in tears (honest!). Never had a single boring moment throughout the movie. The post-credits sequence took some time for the reveal unlike the previous Marvel movies which used to turn up almost instantly in comparison.
Old 19th August 2014, 17:15   #5699
BHPian

Guardians of the Galaxy - 8/10

Some famous people line up in this movie. Bradley Cooper as Rocket Raccoon steals the show. The movie has good crisp writing. Cliche setup, but saved by not so cliche dialogues. Mostly loaded with dark humor. Never a dull moment though. As usual, ends with a setup for more sequels to follow.

Must watch.
Old 20th August 2014, 10:04   #5700
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorpsycho View Post
22 Jump Street was lame , the humor of the 1st part was missing. IMHO 4 is a generous rating.
Bearable 2/5
Just to clarify, I meant 4 / 10 (not 4 / 5).

My bad, since this thread carries ratings on a scale of 5. Will keep that in mind

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks