Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th July 2008, 11:02   #241
Ram
Senior - BHPian

I've got a Casio. I own a Timex. My girlfriend gifted me a Seiko. I've got a Citizen.
I've got a Rolex. I've got a Swatch. I've own a Tissot. I've got a Breitling.

I own. I own. I own.

So what?
Can anything else be more childish and boring?

Looking for something supercool...

Can the machine on your wrist do something cool that other watches can't?

Today is all about convergence and wireless tech.

Can it get information from satellites or the Internet? Or show ECU info from your car? RPM?

Should it? Do share your views.
Old 9th July 2008, 11:06   #242
Senior - BHPian

i have a SWATCH dont know the model - but been a long time since i wore it...

i find the watch becoming more and more useless with the time available in ur mobile phone, laptop ( wen ur working ), wall clocks at home..

found it really strange wen i wore my watch after a long time a few days back and gave up
Old 9th July 2008, 12:23   #243
F50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
So what?
Can anything else be more childish and boring?

Looking for something supercool...

Can the machine on your wrist do something cool that other watches can't?

Today is all about convergence and wireless tech.

Can it get information from satellites or the Internet? Or show ECU info from your car? RPM?

Should it? Do share your views.
Ram sir, why do you want all such stuff in your watch?
One object cannot take place of the other.
No matter how many Mega pixels you shove into a phone it will never act as a Digital Camera. I have N82 even though it has 5MP but still im not happy with the picture quality. But im living with it.
One cannot look into the watch and change gears, atleast I cant.

Let the watches do their conventional job, that is show time.

Last edited by F50 : 9th July 2008 at 12:26.
Old 9th July 2008, 13:32   #244
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Parvus Zypad WL 1000

F50, thanks for your interest in this discussion.
Look at this F50. It's not perfect but it's a start.

Here is the Parvus Zypad WL 1000 wrist-wearable wireless Computer.

It is rugged and military grade.

Which watch do you own?-militaryuse.jpg

You get instant access to computing capabilities on the road.
It has hands-free operation, robust wireless capabilities, and built-in GPS tracking. Ideal tool for Emergency Search and Rescue, Healthcare, Police, Logistics, Transportation, and Defence applications.

Which watch do you own?-clearpicofwatch.jpg

The WL 1000 is always online and continuously connected regardless of your location.
It uses Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and GPS. Can flexibly use Linux or Windows CE and can access any remote host system through built-in wired or wireless interfaces.

It has a tilt and dead reckoning system, so the WL 1000 can be used to determine if the user is motionless or fallen down and then transmit a locator beacon after a specified amount of time. Battery is in standby mode when the user’s arm hangs down beside the body. Provides all features, connectivity, etc. uninterrupted for over 8 hours.

Which watch do you own?-specsofwatch.jpg

Hope I'm not offending your sensibilities. But I am looking at a connected converged future. The wrist-machine is an ideal personal gadget. It should do much more than tell the date and time. OK, so it's a little big for the moment, but that will definitely minaturize.

I welcome your views.
Old 9th July 2008, 13:53   #245
BANNED

What time is it?
Time to pay my GPRS bill!

Just kidding.

On your topic, Ram - I'm of the opinion that a wristwatch should remain simple and functional. Day / date is about the limit of extra options for me. Sportswatches with stopwatches and countdown timers, maybe yes. Anything more is overkill for me. I used to like the Casio digital display type of watches in my youth but today I prefer an old fashioned analog / mechanical display.

Last edited by hrag : 9th July 2008 at 14:01.
Old 9th July 2008, 14:39   #246
Senior - BHPian

Ram,

To carry that err watch on your wrist, you need a dhaai kilo haath - I would love my watch to be simple. Complements my personality.

PS - We could open another thread on the devices you want to discuss here. Lets keep this thread for plain watches. Please do not mind.

Last edited by normally_crazy : 9th July 2008 at 14:41.
Old 9th July 2008, 16:13   #247
BHPian

Tissot PRS200

Here's what I liked and picked a couple of years ago.
Name:  images.jpg
Views: 1972
Size:  3.0 KB
Old 9th July 2008, 16:25   #248
Ram
Senior - BHPian

The Times They Are A-Changin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Ram,

To carry that err watch on your wrist, you need a dhaai kilo haath - I would love my watch to be simple. Complements my personality.

PS - We could open another thread on the devices you want to discuss here. Lets keep this thread for plain watches. Please do not mind.
normally_crazy, it weighs just 290 grams with battery. And you're right as it is much more than a "plain" watch you may like to move the set to an alternative thread.

Here is an improved version. The Zypad WL 1120 wearable computer, uses an Intel PXA-270 400 MHz RISC microprocessor with 128MB RAM and 128MB Non Volatile Flash memory.

Which watch do you own?-zypadwl1120views.jpg

It has a 320x240 pixels QVGA 3.5” TFT screen with 65,536 colors and touch sensitive.

Which watch do you own?-zypadwl1120full.jpg

It integrates a ZigBee transceiver. Zigbee is a high level communication protocol using small low-power digital-radio based on the IEEE 802.15.4 standard for Wireless
Personal Area Networks. ZigBee operates in the industrial, scientific and medical (ISM) 2.4 GHz radio bands worldwide. It is simpler and cheaper than Bluetooth.

Also has a built in Accelometer. The battery recharges via external universal power supply provided or USB cable connected to a laptop/PC or Via car cigarette lighter power supply.

Runs Windows CE 6.0, LINUX based on Kernel 2.6. Programmers can develop specialized applications using Microsoft Platform Builder & EuroTech SDK for Windows CE and Eurotech SDK for Kernel Linux 2.6.

Times are a changin'!
Wrist watches will do more than show the time and date. Won't this baby give old-fashioned wrist watches a complex?

Come gather 'round people, Wherever you roam
And admit that the waters, around you have grown
And accept it that soon, you'll be drenched to the bone.
If your time to you Is worth savin'
Then you better start swimmin'
Or you'll sink like a stone
For the times they are a-changin'.
from the song:" The Times They Are A-Changin' " by Bob Dylan
Old 9th July 2008, 16:36   #249
BANNED

Sorry if I sound rude, but I fail to see the point. One should be able to see the time on a wristwatch at a glance. I don't see that happening in the old and new versions of what you've shared. Its like saying offices and homes with PCs don't need wall clocks because you can see the time at the bottom RHS of the screen (if you make an effort). Does it switch to a clock mode (as in the "lowly" Nokia 1650) in screen saver mode at the very least?
Old 9th July 2008, 16:44   #250
Ram
Senior - BHPian

Screen saver mode with large digits showing the time

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Sorry if I sound rude, but I fail to see the point. One should be able to see the time on a wristwatch at a glance. I don't see that happening in the old and new versions of what you've shared. Its like saying offices and homes with PCs don't need wall clocks because you can see the time at the bottom RHS of the screen (if you make an effort). Does it switch to a clock mode (as in the "lowly" Nokia 1650) in screen saver mode at the very least?

hrag
, you have a very valid point.
And it would be certainly quite trivial to switch to a clock mode. I could write that program for Windows CE very easily, as could any other mobility/embedded programmer.

You are absolutely right. A screen saver mode should show the date and time in large letters, so that they can be seen at a glance. I don't know whether it does so already, but no reason to suppose not.

And implementing multiple audible alarms, periodically synchronized with Microsoft Outlook Calendar appointments would be trivial too. My Nokia N82 already does that.
Old 9th July 2008, 16:52   #251
BHPian

@Ram: In a country of chain-snatchers, with a watch like that....you might lose your hand.

Old 9th July 2008, 16:59   #252
Senior - BHPian

Besides in the name of convergence this watch's face is more than 3.5 inch long! Why shall I not carry a pda or a similar gadget around in my pocket rather than have it wound round my wrist.
Besides I dont think covergence just for the sake of it is any good.

Last edited by extreme_torque : 9th July 2008 at 17:00.
Old 9th July 2008, 17:04   #253
BANNED

Nothing to beat this for decades to come.cheers:
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-hmt.jpg  

Old 9th July 2008, 17:30   #254
BANNED

Parvus Zypad WL 1000 wrist-wearable wireless Computer shown in pic. is horrendus! watches are for time & fashion accessory, too much of convergence is freaky.
A simple beautiful watch gracing ones wrist is what people want, not an eyesore & look like a gadget freak.
A day to day going person does not need over the top tech., what would an office or college going guy do with sat. link , etc.?
There are some better looking tech. packed watches- SUNNTO, CASIO, TIMEX, etc.
In future even clothes would be wearable computers, but does someone want to look like a walking comp.? Answer i think will be a resounding NO.
Old 9th July 2008, 19:04   #255
BHPian

Had aTimex before and for the last one year am wearing a

Citizen NaviHawk..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks