Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2016, 15:59   #2791
BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

its amazing what a new strap can do to a watch.

swapped the alligator strap on my longings spirit for the OEM stainless steel strap. It looks and feels like a new watch.

Which watch do you own?-img_1392.jpg

Also, sharing some ladies watches from the wife to mix things up !

Which watch do you own?-img_0357.jpg

Which watch do you own?-img_0361.jpg
Old 7th September 2016, 20:52   #2792
Distinguished - BHPian

Read a nice article on watches below $5000 in ET supplement a week or two ago. Tried searching for it online and found this instead. Not exactly the same I think but significant overlap.

Am not that regular a visitor to this thread but I recognised the Black Bay Red from Tudor that Jeroen's son got himself some time ago

Will post my own "collection" for what its worth when I get teh time to shoot some decent pics.

Last edited by noopster : 7th September 2016 at 20:55.
Old 7th September 2016, 21:10   #2793
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihem View Post
its amazing what a new strap can do to a watch.

swapped the alligator strap on my longings spirit for the OEM stainless steel strap. It looks and feels like a new watch.

Attachment 1549999

Also, sharing some ladies watches from the wife to mix things up !

Attachment 1549997

Attachment 1549998

Ooh That Cartier!
Thats exactly the one I want to buy my wife but she's not having any of it! Keeps telling me it is too expensive!
But hey, these are investments!
Old 9th September 2016, 09:54   #2794
BHPian

Sporting the JR today !! Absolutely love this one. The rubber strap is super comfy too
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-whatsapp-image-20160909-9.32.49-am.jpeg  

Old 23rd September 2016, 11:05   #2795
Senior - BHPian

Got gifted a watch case on my birthday. My some good and some bad watch collection!

Which watch do you own?-img_4836.jpg
Which watch do you own?-img_4837.jpg
Which watch do you own?-img_4838.jpg
Which watch do you own?-img_4839.jpg
Which watch do you own?-surge.jpg

Pardon my non existent photography skills!
Old 24th September 2016, 21:32   #2796
BHPian

Hi friends
I saw a really beautiful citizen automatic watch - used, in eBay.
I liked it very much. The price is also very cheap. I am not sure how to confirm the authenticity of the same.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Barath
Old 25th September 2016, 03:28   #2797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by barathvajan View Post
Hi friends
I saw a really beautiful citizen automatic watch - used, in eBay.
I liked it very much. The price is also very cheap. I am not sure how to confirm the authenticity of the same.
Any suggestions?
Thanks
Barath
Usually if you ask some probing questions on eBay, the seller will reveal more details and sometimes let the cat out of the bag.

To confirm and not simply go by his/her word, I suggest you visit a Citizen dealer and check if they can ascertain authenticity based on serial number either from the watch or the accompanying booklet.

If Citizen is unable or unwilling to help, I suggest you post the eBay link on forums.watchuseek.com

They usually have members who specialize in various brands who would be able to discern if a watch is a fake. For instance, in the case of HMT, they have a few folks who know the entire history of a particular model including which factory it was produced in, how many watches were produced each year, etc. and can detect even the faintest clue such as a mismatched second hand that would reveal the watch as fake. In the case of HMT, there are tons of cannibalized watches made from parts of other watches as their watch prices have gone up quite a bit due to interest from collectors. If it was an HMT on eBay, I could have told you straight away that it is most likely a fake.

Watch out also for replicas on eBay, there are websites in India now that specialize in selling replicas of Rolex, Rado and so on, but since this one mentions "used", I doubt it is one.
Old 11th October 2016, 23:38   #2798
A.R
BHPian

Question: Where do folks typically buy your swiss watches? The likes of Tag, Omega, Breitling etc

Airport DFS or local stores like Ethos? Which offer better deals?
Old 12th October 2016, 11:17   #2799
BHPian

My Casio G-shock G444. This feels amazing. I have it for near about 2 years now still looks great
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-1476251122599.jpg  

Old 13th October 2016, 14:51   #2800
BHPian

The latest addition to my collection came by way of matrimony.

Which watch do you own?-1476350410400.jpg

Collection is almost complete now. One spot for a Rolex or Patek and then I'm done.

Which watch do you own?-1476350470251.jpg

Last edited by djpeesh : 13th October 2016 at 14:52.
Old 13th October 2016, 17:26   #2801
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
Question: Where do folks typically buy your swiss watches? The likes of Tag, Omega, Breitling etc

Airport DFS or local stores like Ethos? Which offer better deals?
The best deals are with large dealers. In Delhi you will get the big brands at quite a good discount especially during Festive Season. I have bought a Tag and Rolex at a 20% discount a few years ago.

DFS is in general a scam, and as they themselves say, it is Duty Free not Profit Free.

Abroad you can get a good deal when there is a sale, but then you have to be there a look out for it. My wife got a good deal in Singapore during one such sale.
Old 14th October 2016, 08:58   #2802
BHPian

Anyone has any experience with Stuhrling watches? Is it worth the buy? Or should I get Edifice?

Any suggestions on which watch to buy under 15k?
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-image.png  

Old 19th October 2016, 15:20   #2803
BHPian

Offtopic, but a great article on watches and watch makers.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeands...ve-digital-age
Old 22nd October 2016, 15:00   #2804

Does anyone know which watch this is? It belonged to an uncle of mine. There are no markings on the watch except the metal strap which is extremely well made and comfortable. Having done some research online, it resembles the Texas Instruments LCD watch from the 1970's.. the case back doesn't have any markings (they've faded away over time).
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_20161022_141710450_hdr.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-img_20161022_141859051.jpg  

Old 24th October 2016, 11:30   #2805
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
I cannot suggest a particular style or shape of watch since its all down to individual preferences.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
The watch should last a lifetime if handled properly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_pin09 View Post
They could be in all possibility counterfeit products, stolen or refurbished.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Check out Fossil\Giordano\Diesel\Police\Titan etc - if you are particular about B&M stores, head out to any of the shopping malls
Hi Guys,

Need help from watch experts here! My birthday is coming up and my fiancé wants to gift me a watch. The issue: I am not used to wearing a watch and have not bought one for the past 15 years. So my knowledge in buying a watch is almost zero!

I want to a mall nearby and checked out the usual stores – Lifestyle, Shoppers Stop and a shop called Ethos. I had no idea about how much a watch could cost. I had bought my fiancé a watch a few months back - a brand called Michael Kors which costed me 12k (actually my job was just to swipe my credit card). So when I went to look for a watch for myself, I thought the cost would be around than range itself (I realized later I was wrong). I went to the stores and almost all of them had the same brands.

One thing I realized – watches are so expensive! I felt like a fool asking for the price of a TAG Heuer watch (its range starts from 45k I am told). I need help of experts here! Which brand should I go for? Should I buy a watch online (I have heard many reports of fake products being very popular online)?

Based on my window shopping session over the weekend, I realized that I like watches with brown straps (no stainless steel for me). I liked a watch from Michael Kors (Rs 18.5k) and Tissot (Rs 27k). My fiancé is leaning towards Tissot because it is a premium brand and will come with bragging rights. Michael Kors is more of a fashion brand like Police, Calvin Klein and Tommy Hilfiger but I liked the looks.

Can people please help me with the selection! Which brands are long lasting and durable – I do not see myself buying a new watch in the next 5-6 years.
Saanil is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed