Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2016, 18:33   #2836
BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
That's a very beautiful watch! How much is it for? I don't think i've seen it at any of the malls here in Mumbai atleast.
Thanks. The watch is now discontinued but continues to be sold by Japanese retailers on amazon and ebay. I bought it here in the US for around 360$.

I don't know if someone delivers this to India though. Do a search for SARB017 Alpinist and you may find it.

Tapish
Old 5th November 2016, 12:09   #2837

I have got a question. Have any of you brought any watches from the airport duty-free shops?
Are they cheaper compared to Indian prices? What about the warranty and the service. Do the service centers honour the purchase from the duty-free shops?
I was eying a Tissot at the Hong-Kong duty-free last time. But refrained from buying.
Old 5th November 2016, 18:37   #2838
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMariner View Post
I have got a question. Have any of you brought any watches from the airport duty-free shops?
Are they cheaper compared to Indian prices? What about the warranty and the service. Do the service centers honour the purchase from the duty-free shops?
I was eying a Tissot at the Hong-Kong duty-free last time. But refrained from buying.
Yes. Duty free usually gets you a better price than High Street for sure.
However, as of this moment, as per all my researches (based on my own travelling about) on this subject, I am pretty sure that the prices that are quoted in India are absolutely amongst the BEST worldwide.

HK, DXB and other similar places were havens of shopping for Indians, in the pre liberalisation era. No longer.

Just pop over to one of the Ethos Boutiques in any of our Indian Airport Duty Free Sections and compare the prices of the various watches for yourself, with the prices anywhere else. The best thing is that on top of these already nice prices, Ethos will undoubtedly offer you a "little bit more" by way of discount, if you indeed are a serious buyer.

I don't work for Ethos. But I buy from them. Honestly, they and Zimsons are really really first class Watch Retailers along with Helvetica.

Fact is, that by buying in Duty Free, you're saving the Duty Portion - and on top of that, an additional discount of perhaps 12% is quite possible.

So at the end of the day, you're the winner.

Go and do your own research and see!
Old 5th November 2016, 19:33   #2839
Senior - BHPian

Watch prices in India are in general less than prices abroad and in Duty Free Shops. If you are persistent you can get between 10% and 25% discount. When I bought my Tissot in 2000 I got a 10% discount, while with Rolex around 20%. So it is best to shop around at major retail stores and grab the opportunity when it rises.
Old 11th November 2016, 10:20   #2840

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Fact is, that by buying in Duty Free, you're saving the Duty Portion - and on top of that, an additional discount of perhaps 12% is quite possible.

So at the end of the day, you're the winner.

Go and do your own research and see!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aroy View Post
10% discount, while with Rolex around 20%. So it is best to shop around at major retail stores and grab the opportunity when it rises.

Thank you for the info. I'll start my research with the new inputs in mind. I might as well check out the duty-free for the prices too.
The problem with duty-free is the trouble free honouring of the warranty and service. Anyone has any experience with it ?

As for something as expensive as Rolex, i would rather buy from an authorised shop with full payment of taxes than to save a few dollars and then be faced with other problems later on. Although a Rolex is quite a way off at my present financial status. So i have ample time and opportunity to shop around.
Old 11th November 2016, 10:57   #2841
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Watch prices in India are in general less than prices abroad and in Duty Free Shops. If you are persistent you can get between 10% and 25% discount. When I bought my Tissot in 2000 I got a 10% discount, while with Rolex around 20%. So it is best to shop around at major retail stores and grab the opportunity when it rises.
My own experience is somewhat different. Yes, prices are generally better in India compared to say the middle east, but usually not better than in Europe. Also, when you travel in Europe, most reputable shops will offer you the options to buy VAT free if you take your watch out of Europe. Depends a bit per country but most west European countries have a VAT of approx 20% and it is always included in the price as shown. So you can take any list price you will find on the internet and deduct 20% (1/5) immediately. That’s before you talk discount!

Whilst living in India I bought several watches in the Netherlands at main stream jeweller/watch shops. They typically give you a discount to start with and you get the VAT (21%) back at the airport or, depending on the shop, get the VAT refunded by the shop after you send them the invoice with a custom stamp.

As you say, it’s best to shop around, but the VAT refund when in Europe is something worthwhile I found.
Old 11th November 2016, 12:16   #2842
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
My own experience is somewhat different. Yes, prices are generally better in India compared to say the middle east, but usually not better than in Europe. Also, when you travel in Europe, most reputable shops will offer you the options to buy VAT free if you take your watch out of Europe. Depends a bit per country but most west European countries have a VAT of approx 20% and it is always included in the price as shown. So you can take any list price you will find on the internet and deduct 20% (1/5) immediately. That’s before you talk discount!

Whilst living in India I bought several watches in the Netherlands at main stream jeweller/watch shops. They typically give you a discount to start with and you get the VAT (21%) back at the airport or, depending on the shop, get the VAT refunded by the shop after you send them the invoice with a custom stamp.

As you say, it’s best to shop around, but the VAT refund when in Europe is something worthwhile I found.
The problem in claiming VAT back, is that Indian Customs are aware of it. If the price is beyond the exemption limit, then they will charge Customs Duty from you. If you escape their scrutiny, it is smuggling. Much better to haggle and get a lower price in India with full legitimacy and warranty.

Where you gain abroad is in sale, there the watch prices are at a large discount , but that is rarely the case in normal times or at the duty free shop.
Old 16th November 2016, 16:58   #2843
BHPian

I have got my first automatic with handwinding and hacking, an Orient Mako II. The photo shot with my mobile does not do any justice to its looks.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-img_20161116_084818.jpg  

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 16th November 2016 at 17:00.
Old 22nd November 2016, 14:14   #2844
BHPian

Quote:
The problem in claiming VAT back, is that Indian Customs are aware of it. If the price is beyond the exemption limit, then they will charge Customs Duty from you. If you escape their scrutiny, it is smuggling. Much better to haggle and get a lower price in India with full legitimacy and warranty.

Where you gain abroad is in sale, there the watch prices are at a large discount , but that is rarely the case in normal times or at the duty free shop.
Dear Connoisseurs,

Today I came across this Indian website offering premium watches at mouthwatering discounts.

When I spoke on the given contact No. I was told that these are Customs impounded watches.

http://fancyvilla.in/

Obviously this offer is fishy.

Can you please throw some light on this offer.

Last edited by skdking : 22nd November 2016 at 14:42.
Old 22nd November 2016, 14:34   #2845
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skdking View Post
Dear Connoisseurs,

Today I came across this Indian website offering premium watches at mouthwatering discounts.

http://fancyvilla.in/

Can you please throw some light on this offer.
Seems like a scam. I'd be very very cautious. It's impossible to sell Rolex and Omega watches at 13k, unless they're replicas.
Old 22nd November 2016, 14:47   #2846
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoiseNhare View Post
I have got my first automatic with handwinding and hacking, an Orient Mako II. The photo shot with my mobile does not do any justice to its looks.
That's a beauty, to put it mildly!

Mind sharing where you bought it from and for how much?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 22nd November 2016, 15:32   #2847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
That's a beauty, to put it mildly!

Mind sharing where you bought it from and for how much?

Cheers,
Vikram
It is available from Amazon global store (through amazon-dot-in) for about Rs. 16,000 including customs deposit.
Search for "Orient Men's FAA02001B9 Mako II"

Last edited by tortoiseNhare : 22nd November 2016 at 15:37. Reason: Added model number
Old 23rd November 2016, 04:14   #2848
Distinguished - BHPian

Which watch do you own?-imageuploadedbyteambhp1479854501.872444.jpg

Just got a new strap for my Breitling Navitimer Special edition. Loved the original strap, but the Breitling replacement straps were never to my liking. So now I got myself a nice Hirsch strap. All natural rubbers. So far very comfortable to wear. Love the red stitching.

Stand by for more watch news. Just bought my Christmas present, a new Otis diver watch. Wife confiscated it so I won't get to see it until the 25th of December.

Jeroen

Last edited by Jeroen : 23rd November 2016 at 04:20. Reason: spelling
Old 23rd November 2016, 08:13   #2849
BHPian

Last week got a Fitbit Charge 2 as a gift from my wife. Has much better features than the Fitbit Charge HR which she has.
So it replaces the Armani Ex, which again was gifted by my daughter a few months back.
Old 18th December 2016, 12:03   #2850
BHPian

This is one of the cheapest automatics in production now, and one of the cheapest in my collection. Got it 2 weeks back from Amazon global store during the Black Friday sales for just above Rs 4000. I bought it as a collectible, as the cheapest Seiko automatic. But it is so awesome in person that it has become one my daily wears.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-dsc_0019.jpg  

Which watch do you own?-dsc_0022.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks