Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th May 2017, 09:25   #2986
Senior - BHPian

re: Which watch do you own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I just love great looking classic automatic watches.
While at your plan, any chance you've considered the Hamilton Intramatic and/or Tissot Visodate? These would be right up your alley, and in my opinion, lovely classics. Also look at the Seiko SARB065 (popularly called the Cocktail). Of course these are all well below the Omegas and Rolexes of the world on all perceivable parameters, but present indisputably solid value.

My next buy is the Seiko SARB 033, a classic in its own right. Timeless looks and Seiko's robust 6R15 automatic movement. just need to get the steel band changed to a good brown or black leather one. Sadly, just like the Cocktail, this beauty is a JDM (Japan Domestic Market) watch, which means it has to be imported from USA or Japan, which seem to be the only two countries where it is available. Will take a bit of legwork, but hoping to get it when a friend flies down from the US.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 24th May 2017 at 09:28.
Old 24th May 2017, 10:06   #2987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
My next buy is the Seiko SARB 033, a classic in its own right.
Seiko SARB033 is available on creationwatches dot com:

http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...atch-1851.html

I've had my eye on it for some time, but currently a bridge too far for me, price wise.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 24th May 2017, 10:09   #2988
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Seiko SARB033 is available on creationwatches dot com:

http://www.creationwatches.com/produ...atch-1851.html
Hi Vikram, yes it is available here as well, but Im not sure of the authenticity of this particular website. Plus, it quite a bit more expensive when compared to the US prices.

Added to this is the biggest issue of customs clearance. There are many instances I have heard of, where the customs duty on imported watches hikes up the effective price of the final product to way more that the actual cost of the watch in the hands of the end customer. Hence, my hesitation in ordering directly from an online site outside India. It is one of those keepers, which are reputed to run for years and years with very little basic maintenance.

Anyways, hope you get yours soon. Its a lovely and versatile timepiece, well worth the price. In fact, its regarded as a real value for money purchase in its price bracket by watch enthusiasts the world over.

Last edited by arindambasu13 : 24th May 2017 at 10:18.
Old 24th May 2017, 21:04   #2989
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arindambasu13 View Post
While at your plan, any chance you've considered the Hamilton Intramatic and/or Tissot Visodate? These would be right up your alley, and in my opinion, lovely classics. Also look at the Seiko SARB065 (popularly called the Cocktail). Of course these are all well below the Omegas and Rolexes of the world on all perceivable parameters, but present indisputably solid value. .

Hamilton = Harrison Ford.
Nice stuff some of them.
Tissot - great watches but too common.

I would rather save for a time and consider investing in Oris, Frederique Constant, Tudor, Rolex, Panerai, Omega, Bell & Ross, Glashutte, Cartier and IWC.

Some of the above are seriously lovely and of great value while some are very very aspirational.

I am privileged to have a few top watches including a vintage Omega, an Omega pocket watch, a Vacheron and a Patek (inherited) but I am a little bit of a 'collector'...one day I shall have some of these super watches listed in the 'wishlist' but will also consider 'monetizing' some of those that I do have, to make way for a few others...
Old 26th May 2017, 12:33   #2990
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Looking to pickup an everyday Automatic Watch and have shortlisted this one:

Tissot T Sport PRS 516 Automatic

Which watch do you own?-tissottsportt0444302103100_1.jpg

https://www.ethoswatches.com/product...21-031-00.html

Would request your feedback & opinion regarding the same.

Thanks!
Old 26th May 2017, 12:43   #2991
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks smart. I own a Tissot I bought well over 40 years ago. Still going strong! I have always liked Tissot. Some very nice and smart looking watches at very affordable prices
Old 26th May 2017, 13:15   #2992
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Looks smart. I own a Tissot I bought well over 40 years ago. Still going strong! I have always liked Tissot. Some very nice and smart looking watches at very affordable prices
Tissot is awesome, especially in that price range. I recently got one (couple of months back)

Which watch do you own?-20170526_153906.jpg
Old 26th May 2017, 13:32   #2993
BHPian

I am also a Tissot fan! I got my first watch just a few months back (as a wedding gift) and it was a Tissot Perpetual Calendar quartz. As far as I know, Tissot is the most affordable Swiss made watch (at least 60% Swiss ) you can get.
Old 27th May 2017, 00:49   #2994
Distinguished - BHPian

Here two quick pictures of my Tissot F1. Not sure how old it is, but I’m pretty sure I bought it in my late teens, which means it’s about forty years old. In those days it was a pretty exclusive brand, sold in top notch jewellers. My mum took me to a jeweller in Amsterdam at the time.

In those days next to school/college I used to work in a toy/model/hobby shop and also in the morning, six days a week I did a news paper run. I used the money to pay for my hobbies and interests, e.g. model railway, watches, photography and my sailing dinghy.

It’s a quartz watch and it will run for anywhere up to about 4-5 years without a problem. At the time it was rated at 100m and I used to swim with it, no problems. As you can see, it is also quite slim. Quite unusual for it’s time.

The second hand used to be bright orange, but has completely faded.

Which watch do you own?-p5263254.jpg

As you can see, it is also quite slim. Quite unusual for it’s time.

Which watch do you own?-p5263255.jpg

Jeroen
Old 1st June 2017, 15:03   #2995
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
A budget of 50k is moderately healthy and can get you a great watch from an established watch-building stable like Swatch Group.
Quote:
There are more affordable watch brands you can look at like Frederique Constant or Louis Erard which are better made than the ones by fashion brands. Some even better than TAG at a quarter price which uses almost the same ETA outsourced movement.
Ethos is offering around 20-40% off on certain brands this month. I have shortlisted the Victorinox Maverick (45k), Raymond Weil Tango (77k), Frederique Constant Horological (77k), Movado Circa (1lac) and Rado Centrix.
Some of the Raymond Weil watches are available at a discount of around 30-40% as per the talk i had on the phone with the executive at Ethos. The Movado watch is also available at 40% off. Is Movado a proper watch brand or a fashion brand? The particular Victorinox Maverick i like i was told isn't available with them.
I've pretty much set my sights on the Raymond Weil Tango which after discounts should fall in my budget. My second choice would be the Rado Centrix, they are slightly pricier & if offered with good discounts i might consider them by extending my budget.
Since, I am not too well versed with luxury watch scene I needed some advice as to which of these brands i should go for? And which among them has good aspirational value? This will be my most expensive watch purchase & its going to be more like an investment.

Last edited by PPS : 1st June 2017 at 15:06.
Old 1st June 2017, 18:07   #2996
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Since, I am not too well versed with luxury watch scene I needed some advice as to which of these brands i should go for? And which among them has good aspirational value? This will be my most expensive watch purchase & its going to be more like an investment.
I did some searching and I guess the Movado and Rado are quartz (battery operated) watches, they are convenient and don't need to be wound every two days or so. Personally I'm not a fan of either in terms of design they don't look worth the price at all but as I said, personal opinion. Rados look shiny and well finished but they seem to be too much of a fan of black, I prefer steel finish. Frederique Constant has 2 problems 1) Its too young a brand and 2) Its bought over by Citizen of Japan, so if you are considering this watch, from a provenance point, this is worthless.

The Raymond Weil that you've selected is quartz as well but this brand is the best finished of the lot, easily matching TAG level at reasonable price, hold the 5 link bracelet under light and you may see so as well. My vote goes to the RW as well. It'll look as good under a full sleeve as it would with casuals unlike the Rado.

One thing though, do try out each watch and then some more at the store & buy what looks best to you, in the end nothing matters more than personal preference.

Edit : To answer your question, Movado is indeed a proper brand and based in U.S but they are heavily tanking today and might be acquired soon. Its better to buy Longines over and above Movado or the Swatch owned Rado, it has the best history of all affordable watches, period, even above TAG.

Last edited by dark.knight : 1st June 2017 at 18:24.
Old 1st June 2017, 18:28   #2997
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I did some searching and I guess the Movado and Rado are quartz (battery operated) watches, Personally I'm not a fan of either in terms of design they don't look worth the price at all but as I said, personal opinion.
I'm ok with quartz movement, already have a Tissot automatic. The Movado after discount will come to around 60k from what i was told on the phone.

Quote:
Rados look shiny and well finished but they seem to be too much of a fan of black, I prefer steel finish.
They do have an understated simple look, but i always thought its a more superior brand? More people have heard of Rado than Raymond Weil, maybe due to marketing i suppose.

Quote:
The Raymond Weil that you've selected is quartz as well but this brand is the best finished of the lot, easily matching TAG level at reasonable price,
The Tango series after discount I'm hoping would be around the 55k mark! I hadn't heard of Raymond Weil much till my boss mentioned it to me last week. He's been wearing one for several years.

Quote:
One thing though, do try out each watch and then some more at the store & buy what looks best to you, in the end nothing matters more than personal preference.
Haven't seen any of the watches in the flesh. Plan to visit the store next week & hope for a good deal. Thanks for the advice!
Old 2nd June 2017, 10:23   #2998
BHPian

Quote:
I did some searching and I guess the Movado and Rado are quartz (battery operated) watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Haven't seen any of the watches in the flesh. Plan to visit the store next week & hope for a good deal. Thanks for the advice!
I was not aware that Rado makes watches with quartz movements. I thought the 'high end' watch makers produce watches with manual movements only. Once while traveling by local train in Mumbai, I saw a man wearing a Rado watch with a quartz movement (I judged this by the movement of the seconds hand). I immediately came to the conclusion (which was wrong) that this was a first copy as Rado does not manufacture quartz watches. Anyways, good to learn this - I will be more careful in judging people wearing Rado watches.
Old 2nd June 2017, 17:16   #2999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saanil View Post
I was not aware that Rado makes watches with quartz movements. I thought the 'high end' watch makers produce watches with manual movements only. Once while traveling by local train in Mumbai, I saw a man wearing a Rado watch with a quartz movement (I judged this by the movement of the seconds hand). I immediately came to the conclusion (which was wrong) that this was a first copy as Rado does not manufacture quartz watches. Anyways, good to learn this - I will be more careful in judging people wearing Rado watches.
Prctically every watchmaker has a quartz range - Rolex, Tag, Omega to name a few biggies. My son hasa Quartz Tag, while my wife had a Quartz Rado

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolex_Oysterquartz
https://www.bobswatches.com/rolex-bl...-surprise.html

https://www.ethoswatches.com/brands/..._source=Google

https://www.ethoswatches.com/brands/..._source=Google
Old 2nd June 2017, 17:37   #3000
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Hi Guys,

Looking to pickup an everyday Automatic Watch and have shortlisted this one:

Tissot T Sport PRS 516 Automatic

Attachment 1642541

https://www.ethoswatches.com/product...21-031-00.html

Would request your feedback & opinion regarding the same.

Thanks!
I have the same model but with a dark blue dial. Bought it in 2010 in Dubai, slightly heavy (i don't prefer it for driving, the left hand pains after some time). But the build quality is superb.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks