Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2010, 10:59   #661
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm thinking of buying the Orient CEM65001B 'Black Mako' Automatic Dive Watch soon, and was wondering if anyone here owns this or any other model from Orient.

Most reviews of this model on the net are positive; but due to the abundance of ghost written reviews floating around, I would appreciate if I get to read a reliable first hand ownership experience before I take the plunge. Some feedback criteria that I'm looking for are build, accuracy, looks (in real life, not in photos), battery life, power reserve etc.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,
Vikram
I owned the Blue Mako for about a year before I misplaced it. It has really good build quality, doesn't lose too much time and looks really smart. I would recommend it - Great watch to wear as on a daily basis as well as for those special occasions.

Cheers,
V
Old 8th October 2010, 12:16   #662
Senior - BHPian

I have an old ORIENT Crystal 21 jewels watch. Is there anyone who can help me to do plating of strap and case :-)?. Movement looks like in good shape and may work after minor service.
Old 8th October 2010, 15:27   #663
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVH View Post
Have these 3. Wishlist - Omega Speedmaster
I have the eaxct same Raymond Weil, got a gift for my wedding, 5 years back, still going strong. Got the battery replaced once in Munich, no other glitches.

Also have a Swatch chrono as well as a Fossil, bought both in Germany.
Old 8th October 2010, 15:57   #664
BHPian

Rado Original Automatic

Have this one Gifted by my Father in law wear it only on some family functions
Attached Images
File Type: bmp Rado.bmp (441.0 KB, 824 views)
Old 8th October 2010, 18:34   #665
JVH
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
I have the eaxct same Raymond Weil, got a gift for my wedding, 5 years back, still going strong. Got the battery replaced once in Munich, no other glitches.

Also have a Swatch chrono as well as a Fossil, bought both in Germany.
What a coincidence! I too had bought Festina and Tissot in Hamburg, Germany

And good to know about RW. Mine is just 6 months old. I can look forward to long lasting relationship with it ;-). It was love at first sight. It may not look that great in the photos or pics but in reality it is class.
Old 9th October 2010, 07:14   #666
BHPian

all the great threads i'm finding here at bhp as time goes on. this is one of my most recent purchases. so far am loving it although have been fearful of doing anything to the strap when wearing it as a daily watch. so far i've kept it as just an evening wear watch.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-tag-python.jpg  

Old 12th October 2010, 20:01   #667
Senior - BHPian

Extended Watch Collection

In an effort to accumulate Manual and Automatic mechanical watches of yester years, I have landed in the following collection. Most of them were added to my collection box last week. There are more on the queue which are sent to service or missing few critical parts, they will be added as and when they are fully ready.

This below is replica Omega Deville Automatic chronograph watch that works like a charm.
Which watch do you own?-img_0001.jpg
Which watch do you own?-img_0002.jpg

An old model (1970s) Seiko watch with 17J 7005-8050 movement, the beauty of this watch is that the steel strap shown in this watch acts like elastic without a rubber. This series of watches were called dress code modern watches on those days.
Which watch do you own?-img_0003-60.jpg
Which watch do you own?-img_0004-87.jpg
Which watch do you own?-img_0005-114.jpg

Another Seamaster in my Omega (original) collection, this is Automatic model
Which watch do you own?-img_0007-171.jpg
Which watch do you own?-img_0006-144.jpg

Another old manual wound watch, origin unknown but the dial claims the brand as "Talent" and Calender underneath the brand name. This watch works flawlessly and tics second after second.
Which watch do you own?-img_0009.jpg

The below are from my wify's watch box that includes a strap less Omega Geneva(rose gold), Pierre Cardin, Citizen, Timex and Titan brands.
Which watch do you own?-img_0020-2.jpg

Now comes the climax of this post, an Old Swiss made pocket watch which is very unique to its build and most sought collectible item. The reason to state this term because unless all other pocket watches that has the key on the bottom of the head ring, this model has got the key behind the rear door. It comes with a wall clock key like miniature key to wound the mainspring.
Which watch do you own?-img_0017.jpg
Which watch do you own?-img_0016-345.jpg
Which watch do you own?-img_0012.jpg
Which watch do you own?-img_0015.jpg
Which watch do you own?-img_0013.jpg

Comparison pictures with my West-End make
Which watch do you own?-img_0018.jpg
Which watch do you own?-img_0019.jpg

Last edited by trammway : 12th October 2010 at 20:05.
Old 12th October 2010, 20:40   #668
BHPian

Could someone clarify to me what exactly replica watches mean? I mean I know they are 1:1 replicas of fancy limited edition watches made with cheaper stuff. But are they legal fakes? Are they made by the original companies? Or do they just look the same?

BTW I own a Maxima Scuba (a great daily wear watch serving me for the past 7-8 years) and a Seiko (dont know the model, but the one that does not use a battery). Will upload a picture soon.

I also have this pocket watch that I cant identify. Will appreciate some help.
All it says is S.A.B BAKSHI & CO. KORRECT TIME SWISS MADE 10 JEWELS.
Attached Thumbnails
Which watch do you own?-p1020676.jpg  

Old 12th October 2010, 21:41   #669
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshaymahajan View Post
Could someone clarify to me what exactly replica watches mean? I mean I know they are 1:1 replicas of fancy limited edition watches made with cheaper stuff. But are they legal fakes? Are they made by the original companies? Or do they just look the same?
Replica watches are not official and they are fake and look a like watches. In many cases they replicate original look a like replica watches with missing features of the original ones.

Quote:
I also have this pocket watch that I cant identify. Will appreciate some help.
All it says is S.A.B BAKSHI & CO. KORRECT TIME SWISS MADE 10 JEWELS.
The title seems to be printed by the ex-owner who could be a Unani medical practitioner or medicine supplier, S.A.B Bakshi & Co seems to be an Unani medicine producers in Kolkata. Link: http://www.calcuttayellowpages.com/adver/101344.html

The easiest way to identify the brand of this watch would be look at the rear cover's inner side or the machine's scripts and numbers. There would be definite logo or brand name on the machine.

Take some good macro picture of all the letters in the inner side of rear cover and the machine and post it here, let me help you identify the make.

Last edited by trammway : 12th October 2010 at 21:55.
Old 12th October 2010, 22:05   #670
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
In an effort to accumulate Manual and Automatic mechanical watches of yester years, I have landed in the following collection. Most of them were added to my collection box last week. There are more on the queue which are sent to service or missing few critical parts, they will be added as and when they are fully ready.

This below is replica Omega Deville Automatic chronograph watch that works like a charm.
Attachment 437961
Attachment 437962

An old model (1970s) Seiko watch with 17J 7005-8050 movement, the beauty of this watch is that the steel strap shown in this watch acts like elastic without a rubber. This series of watches were called dress code modern watches on those days.
Attachment 437963
Attachment 437964
Attachment 437965

Another Seamaster in my Omega (original) collection, this is Automatic model
Attachment 437966
Attachment 437967

Another old manual wound watch, origin unknown but the dial claims the brand as "Talent" and Calender underneath the brand name. This watch works flawlessly and tics second after second.
Attachment 437968

The below are from my wify's watch box that includes a strap less Omega Geneva(rose gold), Pierre Cardin, Citizen, Timex and Titan brands.
Attachment 437969

Now comes the climax of this post, an Old Swiss made pocket watch which is very unique to its build and most sought collectible item. The reason to state this term because unless all other pocket watches that has the key on the bottom of the head ring, this model has got the key behind the rear door. It comes with a wall clock key like miniature key to wound the mainspring.
Attachment 437979
Attachment 437980
Attachment 437981
Attachment 437982
Attachment 437983

Comparison pictures with my West-End make
Attachment 437984
Attachment 437985
OH !! HOO!!
'am speechless......hereafter trammway can be called as" Vint Watch GURU".
any way here is my poor man's RADO.>>>> :POMAR 9 another rare automatic
25 jewel watch, 36 X 40mm tak termasuk crown.
this month's collection...

Last edited by powertwin : 12th October 2010 at 22:08. Reason: speling mistake
Old 14th October 2010, 09:51   #671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by trammway View Post
Hi,
Could you let me know where in Chennai you get these serviced or fixed?
Old 14th October 2010, 12:51   #672

Favourite watch

Hi! I have Titan Sonata. This watch matters a lot for me. My father had gifted during my college days. Last month while driving scooty, I met with a minor accident and my watch was damaged. I immediately went to the Titan service centre and got it repaired.
Old 14th October 2010, 12:56   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeDrive View Post
Hi,
Could you let me know where in Chennai you get these serviced or fixed?
There is no specific place to visit, however if you see any glass box watch repair guys and if they looked senior citizen then they are the people who can help you.

I do the service in any box repair guys or in my hometown. Important thing you need to sit next to the while they service your watch. Never leave the watch for them to repair.

The latest model automatic watches could be serviced in P.OR and sons are gimzons.
Old 14th October 2010, 13:47   #674
BHPian

I own a Fastrack , a Sonata Supr fibre and my beloved Grandpa's old HMT
Old 15th October 2010, 13:40   #675
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Could someone clarify to me what exactly replica watches mean?
Replica = Fancy term for fake. In some countries, you can actually get fined for wearing fake branded goods. I believe in one thing : Wear originals only, whether the cost is 5,000 or 50. I'd much rather wear an original Armani watch for 10K instead of a fake Rolex costing the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fantasy View Post
this is one of my most recent purchases.
Sweet watch! Don't worry about scratching it. Tags are extremely durable and will look the same even after 5 years of daily (but careful) use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.R View Post
Guys, I'll be fying through the Singapore airport this weekend and would like to pick up a watch.

Budget: approx $2000

I am not very savy about watches, but would like one which not too flashy or sporty. Please suggest.
If its not too late, Omega. I'm a huge fan of their watches. Decent selection in your budget too. I feel the Speedmaster series will appeal to you. Not flashy at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks