Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 19:29   #2716
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by livyodream View Post
1 more thing I always wanted to know. Does this search function really work or is there something i need to know as IT never worked for me.
For example; I type Hyundai Accent. and below is what I get as result.

What is going wrong here? I mean the search result is totally irrelevant to what I typed.
Since you clicked on Show Threads with Accent, it is possible that even threads in which someone's signature mentions 'Accent' is retrieved, or someone may have mentioned 'Accent' in one of the posts. As a result, the search results are totally irrelevant to what you're looking for.

What you could do is, Click on the 'Advanced Search' option, and then on the screen obtained, search for Accent in the title (as shown by me below) so you get threads relevant only for 'Accent'. This would be more apt for your search criteria. Try it out.

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-accent.jpg
Old 21st January 2010, 20:02   #2717
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Since you clicked on Show Threads with Accent, it is possible that even threads in which someone's signature mentions 'Accent' is retrieved, or someone may have mentioned 'Accent' in one of the posts. As a result, the search results are totally irrelevant to what you're looking for.

What you could do is, Click on the 'Advanced Search' option, and then on the screen obtained, search for Accent in the title (as shown by me below) so you get threads relevant only for 'Accent'. This would be more apt for your search criteria. Try it out.

Attachment 270730
Bingo!! this works . Thanks for the reply benbsb29.
Old 22nd January 2010, 16:07   #2718
BANNED

It would be Nice if i can view the Entire Thread In Single page .it,s very inconvenient to click thru 100+ page . I know with threads running into 300+ pages, this will create problems both on server Side as well as Client side but if people have a decent 256 KBPS broadband, there shouldn,t be any issues . I expect the server have the resources to handle this extra load .
Old 22nd January 2010, 16:28   #2719
Distinguished - BHPian

@.sushil, assuming we have a feature of loading the entire thread in one page. Will you read ALL the posts in one go ? May be the first time, yes - or when searching for something specific in that thread. Most times, a person will want to read the new, un-read posts only - which will be in the last or last few pages of the thread (as we have it now). When the requriement is to read the new un-read posts, why would you want to load ALL the posts in the thread EACH time you go to the thread ?

On an another aspect, the traffic from the server will increase tremendously. At any given time, there are hundreds of users who are browsing the site. If for every visitor the full thread is being given to him, the amount of traffic from the server will slow down the server - both links wise & web server wise - so much that even if you have 2MPBS link to your system, it will not help you atall.

There can be other (technical) constraints too, which the Mods may explain. But one thing is that the setup & configuration of the site are done with a lot of thougt & planning & fore-thought.
Old 23rd January 2010, 09:31   #2720
Distinguished - BHPian

A seperate section for discounts/offers on cars, insurance etc?

Can we have a separate section under the Indian Car Scene for discounts/offers on cars, insurance etc. ?

The reason is, I made my Fiesta purchase in the month of december-09 and I had so much information to share;likewise I also took a lot of info from the forum. This was shared through the "2009 Year end discounts on cars" thread. I believe this saved myself and fellow BHPians make a wise choice and save a good amount of cash.

Eg. There's a thread discussing the increase in FIAT prices in Jan-2010. At the same time there's a post in some other thread that the 30K offer in the Punto has been extended from Dec to Jan.

The same should happen on a smaller scale all through the year. So can we have a separate section?
Old 23rd January 2010, 12:13   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
Can we have a separate section under the Indian Car Scene for discounts/offers on cars, insurance etc. ?

The reason is, I made my Fiesta purchase in the month of december-09 and I had so much information to share;likewise I also took a lot of info from the forum. This was shared through the "2009 Year end discounts on cars" thread. I believe this saved myself and fellow BHPians make a wise choice and save a good amount of cash.

Eg. There's a thread discussing the increase in FIAT prices in Jan-2010. At the same time there's a post in some other thread that the 30K offer in the Punto has been extended from Dec to Jan.

The same should happen on a smaller scale all through the year. So can we have a separate section?
Thats a great idea.
+1 to that
Old 24th January 2010, 20:30   #2722
Senior - BHPian

I suggest a new subsection is created in the t-bhp reviews section for all the Official t-bhp test drives. It'll be easier to access for all.

cheers
Old 25th January 2010, 17:35   #2723
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .sushilkumar View Post
It would be Nice if i can view the Entire Thread In Single page .it,s very inconvenient to click thru 100+ page .
Believe me, you do NOT want a 100 page thread all on the same screen. For one, you'd need a powerful computer (super long web page) and second, it will take way too long to load. Even with 800 pix thumbnails, the first page of some travelogue threads runs into 10 MB.

As Condor rightly posted, the load on our server will also be unduly high.

Quote:
if people have a decent 256 KBPS broadband,
Since when did 256 kbps become a "decent" broadband connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiku007 View Post
You may use the new car price check thread for the said purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
I suggest a new subsection is created in the t-bhp reviews section for all the Official t-bhp test drives. It'll be easier to access for all.

cheers
Thanks. We have this planned, and are only waiting for some more reviews to sufficiently populate the proposed new section.
Old 25th January 2010, 18:05   #2724
BANNED

The choice is subjective but I would like some more stuff for my signature.

Atleast Enable HTML BBcode.

Also, I see no harm on letting Newbies to upload pictures in their T-BHP Garage.
Old 26th January 2010, 01:59   #2725
BHPian

well,
I do read before posting !
I do search b4 posting.

that being said,
I also posted a query 'before' finalising my car booking..
that post was simply moved to the "right most" section 'I booked my car thread ! " --though I have NOt yet booked it !
I am trying to ask why are my 'contact us' mails ignored and my posts get moved/deleted, perhaps without reading !!
please,
I am really missing something here!
I want to share my experience of owning first family car and such response from my favourite info-source Is really making me upset !
it's bit unfair ..
:
Old 26th January 2010, 07:24   #2726
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by driverace View Post

I do search b4 posting.

I also posted a query 'before' finalizing my car booking..

I am trying to ask why are my 'contact us' mails ignored and my posts get moved/deleted, perhaps without reading !!

I want to share my experience of owning first family car
First off, sms language is not allowed on Team-Bhp.

Since you posted a query regarding finalizing your car purchase, moderators might have felt that , a lot of similar info exists, so they might have deleted your thread.

You must understand that Team-bhp is a huge forum with lot of people using the contact us form. The moderators are just a bunch of people doing honorary work for the forum, so they will not have time to answer each and every query.
P.S : Also discussing of moderator action is not allowed according to forum rules.

If you have already bought your car, why don't you post your experience here Test-Drives & Initial Ownership Reports - Team-BHP

Why don't you just go through the forum rules once again and follow them, I am sure your posts will not be deleted and you will also enjoy the forum much more.
Old 26th January 2010, 08:16   #2727
Distinguished - BHPian

@driverace, I went back to your posts to undertsand what why you are saying this. Your post regarding selection of the i10 Magna - looks like almost like a 'I booked my car' post.

But what I wanted to understand is, the reason for using the 'contact us' feature. Like Hemant said, the mod's reply to the messages periodically. So when you contact the mods, pls give them some time to respond. The number of messages they have to respond to and the amount of work they have to do is HUGE.

We have a lot of sections where you can post appropriate queries. If you have a doubt reg your car selection, you can use the "What Car" sub-forum. Once you book the car, we have the "I Booked My Car" thread (like you pointed out). Do search out the correct forum for posting - this will help you get more responses to your questions.

And hope you enjoy the new car. All the best - and drive safe !
Old 26th January 2010, 08:54   #2728
BHPian

yes, I agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@driverace, I went back to your posts to undertsand what why you are saying this. Your post regarding selection of the i10 Magna - looks like almost like a 'I booked my car' post.

But what I wanted to understand is, the reason for using the 'contact us' feature. Like Hemant said, the mod's reply to the messages periodically.

We have a lot of sections where you can post appropriate queries. If you have a doubt reg your car selection, you can use the "What Car" sub-forum. Once you book the car, we have the "I Booked My Car" thread (like you pointed out).
And hope you enjoy the new car. All the best - and drive safe !
thank you first of all, for the consideration and the reply!
and, thank you @hemant
well,
#1 I did in fact write in what car 'hatch back ' forum! before (1 post before finalized i10 -- last week), stating a few unique points to consider!
and that post was deleted, /as you mentioned/ saying that similar posts exist.
I do agree that similar posts exist. but I felt if there were some unique points with it,then it has to be looked at a bit differently..
/for that I had used the 'contact us' form. (a week before), but, I understand that mods are busy/have heavy load in keeping the forum in order..
now,
#2 when you went through the 'finalized i10--' post you also did see that like I mentioned, it does have a query-before-finalization.. so does belong in section where I posted! (till I finalized it!)
I have written in the post
>I am going to book the car in 2-3 days..

I am in no way trying to discuss mod actions!
I just wanted some body to help me with my query,
:sad:
I hate to go back to the net to find passive information on cars here in india.. especially when there are so many helpful n knowledgeable nice people here..
I really thought that people do like the emotions in the discussions,the apprehensions of having a first car! being close to deciding one!
and if I want to be a part of the team, Ithought I need to share my-story too- just like everybody here!! --not so sure..
anyway..
take care..
thank you, good day..
/I tried not to use sms lingo anywhere, if I did, somewhere, that's unintentional.
will attend that better in future./
Old 26th January 2010, 11:14   #2729
BHPian

@driverace

If you have any queries, just look for a similar thread and post your query there. I am sure members will be more than happy to help you out. Just don't start a new thread, when similar threads exists.
Old 26th January 2010, 12:41   #2730
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You may use the new car price check thread for the said purpose.
Could you please post a link. Trying searching but was not able to find it. Thanks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks