Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th March 2013, 11:01   #5116
Team-BHP Support

Re: Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Is there some kind of a problem in the PM system?
One of my posts were quoted by a fellow BHPian upon which I did not receive a PM.
Could you link to the post where the person quoted you? I didn't see any of your posts that had been quoted by mobile.

Is your PM inbox full?

Quote:
Originally Posted by purebliss View Post
Ability to customize the hot threads displayed in the home page.
Not possible on the Homepage itself, but it IS possible on the Hot Threads page:
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-screenshot-20130308105805.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
I don't really care about a product's marketing if it works for my use-case
True - though i just feel like they might be approaching it wrong. Not the best thing for their product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
BTW they do have server-side deployment. Check this out
Oops, missed that despite searching! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjithin View Post
Images missing in gallery....
Sorry about this arjithin, its being caused by a JS conflict. We're working on getting it fixed, but it might take a while.

Thanks,
R
Old 8th March 2013, 13:19   #5117
BHPian

Re: Download Owner's Manual of Indian Cars in PDF Format

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarnava.m View Post
Why do you think so? Manufacturers like Maruti sell their workshop manuals through authorized dealers. Hence sharing of these manuals online would at the most amount to copyright/piracy issues, though I am not sure they register copyright claims on owner/workshop manuals.
Yes, i didn't say anything different, copyright is IP (intellectual property) only. This is OT, but copyright does not need to registered for the right to exist. Further, the manufacturer was deriving a commercial benefit from it, which one is preventing by actions which cause breach of its copyright.

Ps. - Did some thinking. Mods to consider requesting members not to upload workshop manuals to the team bhp server - it is much better if only links to other servers where they are stored are posted.

Last edited by manolin : 8th March 2013 at 13:23.
Old 11th March 2013, 13:57   #5118
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
With the updated menu on top, there are duplication of some links. e.g. Classifieds and Photos/Photo-Gallery appear in both the menus on the same page.
Fixed

Thanks for the suggestion!
Old 11th March 2013, 14:21   #5119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fixed

But now someone like me using the blue skin has to go to the home page to access something like classifieds, for which there was a shortcut earlier
Old 11th March 2013, 15:56   #5120
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
But now someone like me using the blue skin has to go to the home page to access something like classifieds, for which there was a shortcut earlier
Well, we did say that the Blue & Red skins will not get the same treatment as the others now.
They've become legacy skins, since <5% of viewers use them. The other skins will be given priority for changes, and in this case it reduces redundancy in the menus for the other 95%.

However, we have recently changed the link that the clickable logo on the blue / red skins leads to - it will now take you to the new homepage. Alternate solution: browser bookmarks bar.

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th March 2013 at 16:00.
Old 11th March 2013, 16:00   #5121
BHPian

The Classifieds and few other places in the forum have the old skin and don't have the new skin which is present from the 9th Anniversary of Team BHP

Cheers,

Achyuth
Old 13th March 2013, 09:53   #5122
BHPian

Not sure if anyone has suggested this (search didn't reported anything and couldn't go through all the 342 pages in this thread. sorry!).

If we go to the member list, there is a facility to sort on the UserName, Join Date, Posts and Last Visit. Can a similar sorting be added with Location too please? I'm sure with VBulletin powering this forum, achieving this is quite easy.

This would help in getting to know people living in nearby areas as I've seen many a times in the meet section and Team-BHP sticker spotting thread that people are surprised to find out someone living nearby.

P.S.: I know that the search is there and if you go to advance search, you can specify the location as well, but guess very less people use the same.
Old 13th March 2013, 10:28   #5123
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Fixed

Thanks GTO! With two less, the menu looks well spaced out now!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
On a separate note, here is something that I want to suggest, but struggling to articulate.

The new pieces on each page (e.g. the new logo, the top-level menu) look from web 2.0 and existing pieces (e.g. the 2nd menu and the actual threads and posts) look like from web 1.0... giving it a mix-and-match, inharmonious look.

As I said, not able to explain this well. But it has got to do in parts with the choice of colors (e.g. web 2.0 = twitter = pastel shades), the choice of fonts (web 2.0 = pleasing to the eye, less "bold"), the sharpness of everything, the brightness and saturation of colors etc.

Sorry for being vague, but hopefully a "usability" expert can articulate it much better.

Last edited by SDP : 13th March 2013 at 10:37.
Old 16th March 2013, 21:14   #5124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post

I've written to Kaspersky and they are looking into it.

cya
R
Hi Rehan,

Did kaspersky find a solution to the problem ??

Of the late(since i have installed kaspersky) i am facing the same issue in google chrome. I.e. Images load fine till the time the page is loading and then one by one the images convert into small pages with the sides torn of :-

Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-problem.jpg
Old 17th March 2013, 20:54   #5125
Senior - BHPian

Not sure if this is the result of some upgrade that I missed, but the Classifieds link has vanished. Attached is a screenshot of the link
www.team-bhp.com/forum, and the blue bar at the top, which hosts the links "User CP", "FAQ", "Members List", "New Topics", "New Posts" etc. does not have the link "Team-BHP Classifieds". I even checked the quick links, but it's not there. How do I get there?
Attached Thumbnails
Suggestions for Team-BHP from Team-BHPians-tbhp_noclassifieds.jpg  

Old 18th March 2013, 13:00   #5126
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achyuth Vaibhav View Post
The Classifieds and few other places in the forum have the old skin and don't have the new skin
Hi Achyuth,

The new "skin" is not actually a skin. (Skins are on the forum only).

It was an entirely new WEBsite for Team-BHP. It replaced the old Team-BHP web portal. Photogallery, store, forum, classifieds remain unchanged -- except the look of the top navigation has been updated on all those sections now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonstop-driver View Post
P.S.: I know that the search is there and if you go to advance search, you can specify the location as well, but guess very less people use the same.
At the moment, this is the only way to search / sort by location. Not sure what added advantage "sorting" would give over "searching"? Not sure if you mean less people use the advanced search, or fill the location field?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDP View Post
The new pieces on each page (e.g. the new logo, the top-level menu) look from web 2.0 and existing pieces (e.g. the 2nd menu and the actual threads and posts) look like from web 1.0...
Noted. The forum has a simple presentation that i think works well. Sure it could be stepped up a little to match the web-portal better, but I don't think it looks outdated.

Personally though, i would rather focus on other sorts of value adds, rather than spending a lot of time tweaking the looks of something that works perfectly well and is loved by many at the moment. (We do have a small addition to the forum coming up, maybe that will help things. Keep an eye out in the next few weeks).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
Of the late(since i have installed kaspersky) i am facing the same issue in google chrome. I.e. Images load fine till the time the page is loading and then one by one the images convert into small pages with the sides torn of
Yes, Kaspersky did fix the issue! Strange that you're facing it again. Could you please tell me:

1) What version of Kaspersky are you using (2012 / 2013 // KIS / PURE, etc)
2) Kaspersky window > Support (bottom left) > Application Version ??

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
...the Classifieds link has vanished.
Blue and Red are no longer being developed as skins. In fact, we removed them entirely - but due to a lot of requests, brought them back. We suggest you try BHP Silver for a week - you'll probably get used to it and switch. >98% of users use BHP Silver and BHP Black, so we're going to have to make all changes with those users in mind (and can't really support blue/red much anymore).

FYI: Clicking the logo on blue now takes you to the main homepage (from where you can go to classifieds).

cya
R

Last edited by Rehaan : 18th March 2013 at 13:02.
Old 18th March 2013, 13:30   #5127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Not sure if you mean less people use the advanced search, or fill the location field?
Yes. What I meant that less people use advanced search to fill the location field. Usually we just go for search and I'm sure very less number of people would have used the advanced search within user-list and noticed that this is different from the forum's usual advanced search.
Old 19th March 2013, 21:49   #5128
Senior - BHPian

Surprised to see that the "Last edited by" is omitted by some posts. I had edited this post and added the line "OT:" to that post and no evidence of an edit is seen.

This happened to me a few days back on another post but then I had added only a quote tag and thought that it does not count to be an 'edit'. Don't know if this is a bug.

EDIT: Thanks Warwithwheels. I never knew. IIRC, both happened within seconds after saving.

Last edited by thoma : 19th March 2013 at 22:04.
Old 19th March 2013, 21:57   #5129
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Surprised to see that the "Last edited by" is omitted by some posts. I had edited this post and added the line "OT:" to that post and no evidence of an edit is seen.

This happened to me a few days back on another post but then I had added only a quote tag and thought that it does not count to be an 'edit'. Don't know if this is a bug.
If the *EDIT* happens within a couple of seconds immediately after the original post is submitted, the "Last edited by ...." note does not appear.
Old 19th March 2013, 22:46   #5130
Distinguished - BHPian

That's meant to be: it is a window to allow correction of typos. I think it is 30 seconds --- but it takes me longer than 30 seconds to proofread most posts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks