Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2013, 20:14   #61
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Thank you shankar balan and khoj. Will check out the William Penn for sure.
Simple solution. I would simply buy the person a gift card as per my value budget for the gift and tell him to go and choose whatever he wants! This way, even if he aspires to something bigger, he can pay the difference and acquire it!
Old 15th October 2013, 21:32   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

Simple solution. I would simply buy the person a gift card as per my value budget for the gift and tell him to go and choose whatever he wants! This way, even if he aspires to something bigger, he can pay the difference and acquire it!
That is one option, but I prefer to give the pen because it needs my time and effort to choose something he would love. I can get a gift coupon in 5 minutes flat, but it do not have that personal touch.

Having said this, I have to admit that the gift coupon is a very convenient option and I do prefer to give gift coupons for marriage and house warming ceremonies.

--Anoop
Old 15th October 2013, 22:16   #63
BANNED

Quote:
That is one option, but I prefer to give the pen because it needs my time and effort to choose something he would love. I can get a gift coupon in 5 minutes flat, but it do not have that personal touch. Having said this, I have to admit that the gift coupon is a very convenient option and I do prefer to give gift coupons for marriage and house warming ceremonies. --Anoop
Whatever suits! By the way William Penn also stock a brand called Sailor. Lovely stuff but a little expensive...
Old 16th October 2013, 09:49   #64
BANNED

Re: The Writing instruments thread

Slightly off-topic

I have a classic Schaeffer whose cap is badly chipped. I want to get a replacement cap. Any idea as to where can I get one?
Old 17th October 2013, 16:34   #65
BHPian

My writing instrument, Sheaffer Imperial II (New Old Stock -1960s). After buying the pen, I started taking copious amount of notes

Sheaffer Imperial II
The Writing instruments thread-pen.jpg
Old 21st October 2013, 06:14   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Slightly off-topic

I have a classic Schaeffer whose cap is badly chipped. I want to get a replacement cap. Any idea as to where can I get one?
Is it the Sheaffer Legacy? Those are awesome pens and have been around for a while.

I know that William-Penn deals with Sheaffer a lot, however I am uncertain if they have branches up-north. If you have someone travelling to UK / US that's your best bet. Or, if you could tell me the model number - I can check with William-Penn here and if available courier it to you.
Old 21st October 2013, 11:24   #67
BHPian

Proud owner of a Parker Sonnet Firedance fountain pen. I had persuaded someone close to me to buy it when I saw it in a jewellery store. I was in the sixth or seventh grade then and used to proudly carry it during my examinations. It didn't earn me any extra marks though
Over the years, it hasn't been treated like the way it should have (carrying it without a case, using standard quality ink and zero maintenance)
Nowadays, I take really good care of it and use it on very rare occasions.
BTW, anyone knows about Submarine writing instruments?
Old 21st October 2013, 12:32   #68
Senior - BHPian

I believe anyone with even a bit of interest in this field will know Submarine. Infact just a couple of days back there was a promo mail from either snap deal or the ithinkstore regarding discounted prices on offer for this very make.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo_Torq View Post
BTW, anyone knows about Submarine writing instruments?
Old 21st October 2013, 12:42   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I believe anyone with even a bit of interest in this field will know Submarine. Infact just a couple of days back there was a promo mail from either snap deal or the ithinkstore regarding discounted prices on offer for this very make.
Doh!

Actually, I wanted to know about a certain model they made. It belonged to my friend and I'd traded something for it. It was a fountain pen but you'd have to reveal the nib by twisting the base of the pen akin to the mechanism found in ball point pens.
Old 22nd October 2013, 16:10   #70
BANNED

I have located William Penn's Delhi e-mail id. Yes, most probably it is a Sheaffer Legacy. The damage is obvious. The back body is also showing signs of lacquer failure.
Attached Thumbnails
The Writing instruments thread-img_1394.jpg  

Old 24th October 2013, 22:48   #71
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whatever suits! By the way William Penn also stock a brand called Sailor. Lovely stuff but a little expensive...
I think I have to blame it on you, once I went to William Penn and saw different pens, my budget was blown out of water.

After doing some more research, I gifted him a Sailor Chalana Silver Stripe Fountain pen
Since he is in US now, I brought the pen from http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/ and got it delivered to him!

Thank you for the push to go the William Penn

--Anoop
Old 25th October 2013, 00:21   #72
BANNED

Quote:
I think I have to blame it on you, once I went to William Penn and saw different pens, my budget was blown out of water. After doing some more research, I gifted him a Sailor Chalana Silver Stripe Fountain pen Since he is in US now, I brought the pen from http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/ and got it delivered to him! Thank you for the push to go the William Penn --Anoop

Ha ha!

The Founder of William Penn is a great guy with excellent taste. Ive known him twelve plus years...

I like shopping for these slightly esoteric products at their stores.

Enjoy!
Old 25th October 2013, 04:19   #73
Senior - BHPian

I have a puny collection myself.
One Sheaffer 300, A Waterman Expert and a Pelikan M205.
Then there is a rag tag bunch of daily writers, Schneider Base, Lamy Nex and Noodler Ahab.
All I can say is that as far as fountain Pens are concerned, Germans nail it here too.
And most impressive of the bunch was the lowly Schneider Base. I still prefer it over Pelikan and Waterman.
Sheaffer 300 (A massive pen) is a close second. Nib is hard, smooth but yet with a little bit of feedback.
Old 28th November 2013, 12:53   #74
BHPian

Oh, didn't know that we have a thread on writing instruments in Tbhp.

I've always been facinated by fountain pens. Got few in Bangalore, rest of them are scattered around the world.

Here are few

Pair of Lamy Safari
The Writing instruments thread-image2302937573.jpg

Pair of Sheaffer White Dots (These are made in Japan allegedly by Sailor but I am not sure)
The Writing instruments thread-image714882369.jpg

Sheaffer 440 Imperial
The Writing instruments thread-image2705428222.jpg

Waterman Harmoanie
The Writing instruments thread-image2912435276.jpg

Apart from these got a pair of Sheaffer Targas, waterman phileas and a Montblanc 144 (which is with a cousin and i don't think I ll ever get it back&#128546

Lost few, few got stolen. They say good pens, watches and knives usually have a habit of jumping in peoples pockets, looks like few of mine were also suffering from same 😄

-Ijeet
Old 21st March 2014, 09:00   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Boss,

pls help!

I have the "full" version in which you need to open the cap to use it - (whats it called?) of http://www.flipkart.com/sheaffer-100...0-c33c87c9cfb4

In six months, three refills have gone bad, leading to erratic ink that barely flows. The rs 10 cello pen writes infinitely better than that. Each refill costed me ~150-180 bucks and I'm wondering whether to junk it and move back to simple 200 rs parker pens, or if i need to baby these pens and use fancy refills? I'm confused. Help please!

Last edited by phamilyman : 21st March 2014 at 09:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks