Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2014, 23:31   #76
BHPian

Re: The Writing instruments thread

I am Presently in San Francisco and willing to pick up some writing instruments from US,can you folks suggest some brands and models .I prefer Online as prices are low else even stores is also fine.

thanks
MSVG
msvg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th April 2014, 23:35   #77
BHPian

Any reviews on the Waterman Carene?
Really love the design, and the 18k gold nib is likely to be superlative.
Tempted to get myself one.

The Writing instruments thread-wp04833pen_waterman_carene_deluxe_black_gt_fountain_penblack_delux_gold.png

I'm also impressed by the very unique Lamy dialog 3:

The Writing instruments thread-074_eng.jpg
Old 23rd June 2014, 13:08   #78
Senior - BHPian

Hi!

What I can find on T-BHP amazes me! Of all things, writing instruments! Just when i need info!

I'm trying to restore two fountain pens.

One Parker Vaccumatic and another Parker 61. Need the the following spares.

1) Gold ring on the Vaccumatic cap. I believe the pen is a 'junior' model.
2) The grip with gold arrow for the 61.

Anyone having information on where i can find these, please help.

Any known repairers in Bangalore ?

thanks
Srinivas
Old 4th July 2014, 12:49   #79
BHPian

Ah - just came across this thread! I rediscovered fountain pens a couple of years back and that is all I have used since! My present collection is:

1. Sheaffer Prelude
2. Sailor Professional Gear
3. Sailor 1911 Profit with Cross Concord Emperor nib (just bought - not received yet!)
4. Parker Duofold - Pearl and black edition
5. Montblanc Meisterstuck 149

I have decided to consciously stay away from pen shops for the next 2 years - very far away .
Old 9th April 2015, 16:26   #80
BANNED

Amazed at what you can find on TBHP.

I have a SHEAFFER Sentinel 323 BRUSHED CHROME BALL POINT PEN, which went through a wash by mistake and has leaked ink. Is it possible to get the pen serviced along with a new refill? If yes, where can I get it done in Bangalore?

This may not cost much to get a new one, but It has a sentimental value to me and hence I would like to revive it if I can.
Old 9th April 2015, 17:01   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILTDrive View Post
I have a SHEAFFER Sentinel 323 BRUSHED CHROME BALL POINT PEN, which went through a wash by mistake and has leaked ink. Is it possible to get the pen serviced along with a new refill? If yes, where can I get it done in Bangalore?
I am not sure of any stores in Bangalore. However, why don't you try purchasing the refill online. May be this link can help

http://www.amazon.in/Sheaffer-SHF993...SHEAFFER+refil

Since Sheaffers have a standard refill. Also, regarding the servicing try alcohol or other stain removers with a tissue to clean any stained area in the pen.

Good luck
Old 9th April 2015, 17:04   #82
Senior - BHPian

My Prized cllection is a 1951 Parker Fountain pen gifted to me by my father.
He had infact inherited this from my grandfather.

Other notable pens:
1) Sheafer - Ball pen-01
2) Sheafer- Ink pen
3) Parker Metallic Fountain Pen for my day to day use.
4) Cross Ball pen

I had a fascination for fountain pens and have collected over 45 such pens of different brands ranging from Hero Pens to Sheafer.
arnabchak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2015, 18:54   #83
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by navsjab View Post
I am not sure of any stores in Bangalore. However, why don't you try purchasing the refill online. May be this link can help

http://www.amazon.in/Sheaffer-SHF993...SHEAFFER+refil

Since Sheaffers have a standard refill. Also, regarding the servicing try alcohol or other stain removers with a tissue to clean any stained area in the pen.

Good luck
The ink has leaked all over the pen, including the insides as well. I did try to clean with some kitchen cleaners, but the more I clean, the more the ink that seems to keep coming out. I do not want to spoil anything that can be salvaged and hence was looking as someone who knows what to do.
Old 9th April 2015, 19:15   #84
BHPian

Quote:
The ink has leaked all over the pen, including the insides as well. I did try to clean with some kitchen cleaners, but the more I clean, the more the ink that seems to keep coming out. I do not want to spoil anything that can be salvaged and hence was looking as someone who knows what to do.
Oops, I hope some of the Bangaloreans can help pitch in here.
Old 9th April 2015, 20:00   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Makes sense to consult a professional, but given you're dealing with thick ball-point refill ink here, your only option may be to take your chances with leaving it in an ink-diluting cleaning alcohol bath for a few hours/overnight and see how much difference it makes. You can try a heavily diluted mixture at first to gauge if it's safe for the pen, increasing strength as you go along. Don't use strong kitchen stuff (and definitely don't scrub), it may destroy surface finish if you try too hard.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th April 2015 at 20:02.
Old 9th April 2015, 22:06   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
ink-diluting cleaning alcohol bath
Thanks Chetan,

From where can I get this? Any brand that is recommended?
Old 9th April 2015, 22:21   #87
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks Chetan,

From where can I get this? Any brand that is recommended?
No specific brand, but what you need specifically is 'Isopropyl Alcohol'. 70% type should do (it's a 70:30 alcohol:water mix), there's also a 91% variant if you end up needing stronger stuff. You can find these at any surgical supplies store, or at medical stores within hospitals that have surgical facilities. Please avoid buying from the local market (craft supply stores etc.) to avoid getting sold paint thinner, which a lot of unscrupulous folks sell as it's cheaper.

Isopropyl Alcohol is a favored diluting and cleaning agent for painting and related equipment, also for cleaning print heads for inkjet printers/cartridges. Read a sample here:

http://thebluebottletree.com/rubbing-alcohol-crafts/

P.S. Use your own judgment about how much to dilute the bath, depends on what you're trying to clean and how sensitive it is to chemicals.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 9th April 2015 at 22:26.
Old 10th April 2015, 03:10   #88
BHPian

Well being a good husband for a decade has some perks !! The company that employs me will go bankrupt due to the copious amount of paper I am using since receiving this gift
The Writing instruments thread-mont_blanc.jpg
acurafan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2017, 15:19   #89
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Did not know such a thread existed! Was gifted this Sheaffer pen recently, no idea which collection or what the price is.
Long time back I had met a client who was very overtly protective of his pen which was in his front shirt pocket & was always reluctant if someone asked him to lend his pen. On being asked, he revealed to me that its a Mont Blanc pen & it costs 25k !

The Writing instruments thread-shef.jpg
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2017, 01:29   #90
BHPian

Whatever I ask for, there is already a thread granted within the Team BHP community! I never expected to have this writing instruments thread, but surprisingly there is one!

Alright, I'm going to get myself a decent quality ball point pen that has a solid construction. I have narrowed down on Waterman Expert and it is a pricey pen. Anybody here already owning this pen? Is the body made of metal?

http://www.waterman.com/en/expert/12...170951705.html

I'm just curious to know how it holds when writing with it for a long time? Does it bring any fatigue? Any clues?

Last edited by joe1980 : 12th December 2017 at 01:30.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks