Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th January 2013, 21:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
I just saw this thread. My current collection includes a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Fountain-pen, Mont Blanc ballpen, Schaeffer Classic Pen, Watereman Ink pen, Cross Ballpens etc. I love my fountain pens but unfortunately more or more stuff is not suitable for ink. Most Greeting Cards, Diaries (even India Today) tend to smudge the ink, so I am forced to use ballpens more and more.
Envious collection
I only have a few as over the years, I have gifted few special ones to family.
Cross classic, Mitsubishi Brain are the only one left as these were gifted to me. Uni-ball .7 is what I use on daily use.

About smudging, due to cost cutting paper quality has gone down drastically, but few companies are forced to use glossy paper as the customers in India demands it. I love to write with fountain pens and calligraphy pens but you do not get right quality paper in India.

For long, now pens are only used to sign and I use digital pens from Wacom to sign digitally.
Old 12th January 2013, 20:43   #47
BHPian

Re: The Writing instruments thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
...Which is a decent ink available in market easily?
Commonly available inks in order of quality (according to regular users)- chelpark > bril > camlin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
The biggest problem with fountain pens is flying. Due to the fluctuation of cabin pressure they often leak. Best way to prevent it, make sure it's upright! ..
Position of pen may not help much. Best not to use fountain pen during take off, when cabin pressurization is underway. To avoid leakage, make sure ink reservoir is completely full, so that there is no air to push ink out due to pressure difference.
Old 12th January 2013, 21:37   #48
Team-BHP Support

Before posting here, I just searched this thread on who all own the old "HERO" fountain pen and got a couple of hits.

One of my most prized possession is the Hero ink pen, which my father bought for me in "sixth std". I still have it with me. I dont write with it.
I stopped after my 12th exam after I cleaned it up. Its still there with me! Its been more than 25 years ..!

Last edited by ampere : 12th January 2013 at 21:47.
Old 7th July 2013, 23:50   #49
Senior - BHPian

I just bought my first fancy pen - a INR 1400 worth Shaeffer. Previously, I used to carry a simple Parker worth 225 which was decent enough and yet inexpensive enough that the annual loss would not pinch. This is about six years worth of losses in one shot - I better take care of it.

Mine is the roller ball variant of: http://www.flipkart.com/sheaffer-gif...ND43FPNGXSXRUP
Old 8th July 2013, 01:16   #50
Senior - BHPian

I must have run through dozens of HEROs over my school years. I have heavy hands and would invariable end up breaking the recessed nib. Switched back to pencils for all purposes including homework to the irritation of most of my teachers and used pens only to write the finals, boards etc. Wonder if the Hero is still available?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Before posting here, I just searched this thread on who all own the old "HERO" fountain pen and got a couple of hits.

One of my most prized possession is the Hero ink pen, which my father bought for me in "sixth std". I still have it with me. I dont write with it.
I stopped after my 12th exam after I cleaned it up. Its still there with me! Its been more than 25 years ..!
Old 8th July 2013, 09:48   #51
BHPian

Yes, those Hero pens are still here. Bought it a couple of years ago for my son and they were readily available. How I used to fawn over these as a kid! But I could never afford them back then. My son used it a few times and found it uncomfortable as compared to Rs. 5 disposable gel pens.
Old 8th July 2013, 10:35   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Some time back I was at William Penn and saw a Japanese pen with a divine nib, but only cartridge filling. Do not remember its name.
Could be a Sailor, some of them have nicely worked gold nibs.
Old 8th July 2013, 14:19   #53
Senior - BHPian

Thank you for the update on the availability of the Hero.

At our school ball points were banned especially in Middle school. The reasoning was that they took away the control one required for good handwriting. At that time gel pens were unheard of and roller balls were the preserve of those who could afford the refills.

I still prefer to use pencils, the good old wooden ones and the mechanical ones too all the way from 0.5 to 2 mm and others in between. As for pens, have been using a Cross roller ball (wide width barrel casing) for donkey's years and carry Bic disposable in assorted colour inks when travelling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowwhat? View Post
Yes, those Hero pens are still here. Bought it a couple of years ago for my son and they were readily available. How I used to fawn over these as a kid! But I could never afford them back then. My son used it a few times and found it uncomfortable as compared to Rs. 5 disposable gel pens.
Old 9th October 2013, 17:18   #54
Senior - BHPian

I have this Parker 75 Sterling Silver. Can someone tell me if I can swap its manual refil with the new gen cartridges?
Attached Thumbnails
The Writing instruments thread-wimg2013100600270-large.jpg  

Old 9th October 2013, 17:49   #55
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
I must have run through dozens of HEROs over my school years. I have heavy hands and would invariable end up breaking the recessed nib. Switched back to pencils for all purposes including homework to the irritation of most of my teachers and used pens only to write the finals, boards etc. Wonder if the Hero is still available?
Here you go! A real blast from the past. This is at least 27 years old.

The Writing instruments thread-img_9811_dppa3.jpg
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2013, 13:22   #56

I own a Sheaffer set - a fountain pen and a ballpen. This set was given as an award in my previous company for an achievement. I also own a Hero fountain pen and a Parker ballpen.
Old 15th October 2013, 09:26   #57
Senior - BHPian

Need some help to choose a pen which can go well with formal dress (Dark trousers, light color shirt and tie), to be gifted to a friend.

I am willing to spend up to INR 2500, and can buy it either from India, US or UAE.

The only few brands I have heard is Cross, Waterman, Sheaffer etc, but I would love to gift him a brand which is good\special but not really popular in India (the exclusivity factor, if I may say so - Something equivalent to T M Lewin or Charles Tyrwhitt in shirts), but I am doubtful about getting such a pen in my budget :(

He will be using the pen mostly for signing documents, so ink pen will be preferred, but I am open to ball point pens also.

Please fish me out of this soup
--Anoop
Old 15th October 2013, 10:05   #58
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Need some help to choose a pen which can go well with formal dress (am doubtful about getting such a pen in my budget :( He will be using the pen mostly for signing documents, so ink pen will be preferred, but I am open to ball point pens also. Please fish me out of this soup --Anoop
Waterman is slightly more exclusive and has some really superb designs. I prefer Waterman to the more ostentatious Mont Blancs etc. Your budget should see you through. Check William Penn!
Old 15th October 2013, 11:08   #59
Senior - BHPian

Try n get a 'Roller Ball' instead of the ball point. They are free flowing and as smooth as fountains, without the mess. Price wise they lie in between the fountains and ball points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
.......He will be using the pen mostly for signing documents, so ink pen will be preferred, but I am open to ball point pens also.

Please fish me out of this soup
--Anoop

Last edited by khoj : 15th October 2013 at 11:10.
Old 15th October 2013, 14:09   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Waterman is slightly more exclusive and has some really superb designs. I prefer Waterman to the more ostentatious Mont Blancs etc. Your budget should see you through. Check William Penn!
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Try n get a 'Roller Ball' instead of the ball point. They are free flowing and as smooth as fountains, without the mess. Price wise they lie in between the fountains and ball points.
Thank you shankar balan and khoj. Will check out the William Penn for sure.

Most Viewed