Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
I've ben carrying around a black parker for a long time (read 3 years) but now i've been bit by the upgrade bug.

However, given my tendency to lose things - I want to buy a pen but within a budget of Rs 500-700! What's the smartest one I can buy?

and something for which if I need to replace the refill - I dont have to drive around 20km, or pay more than 100 odd bucks

/or am I just asking too much.
//vasudeva ji, I am jealous! I'm a scribbler - used to be neat in school, now just quick n dirty
If you were neat and want to preserve that neatness, go for a thicker point. Thinner points (0.5 and 0.7) do not have that much of an impact or grip on paper. Try Uniball Impact 1.0 (no financial interest here) at least once. Their ink colours are unique and look quite good. Plus, cheap at rs. 60-80 and you can safely lose 1 every month. Plus no need to refill it.

I had a Waterman (sadly lost) in school, a Mont Blanc sometime back (also lost), and I find thicker 1.0 point pens as good as them. Of course, no snob value.

Last edited by vasudeva : 22nd January 2010 at 10:51.
Old 20th July 2010, 22:18   #32
BHPian

Recently I acquired a lamy roller ball
Old 8th August 2010, 21:42   #33
Senior - BHPian

I have never had any expensive pens apart from the Rotrings I used in college. But I have found that the Lamy Safari fountain Pen and the Lamy Safari Mechanical Pencil are just the right balance between cost, durability and utility. They have the trademark three-sided grip which is the best.

Here's my set:
Attached Thumbnails
The Writing instruments thread-08082010.jpg  

architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2010, 22:34   #34
Senior - BHPian

A couple of Parkers, a Waterman ball-point, 2-3 Cross and a Mont Blanc is all I can remember right now. Don't write much, but have a bad habit of collecting pens since I was in 7th grade. Got the Mont Blanc as inheritance from my dad.
Old 29th October 2010, 16:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Some time back I was at William Penn and saw a Japanese pen with a divine nib, but only cartridge filling. Do not remember its name.

I saw this recently as I searched for the thread. Sir, you are talking most probably about the Sailor. This is the pen I am lusting for at the moment. Anyway, just got back to my machine after a stroll to Fountain. Saw some old pens there (Mitha Pen Mart). People who want to get their pens repaired and are based out of Mumbai can go down there. Mr. Mitha is one of the few Parker authorized pen repair people in India. There are a number of old pens with him as well.
Old 15th June 2011, 12:43   #36
BANNED

Re: The Writing instruments thread

Since most of this thread is about expensive pens, not sure if this is the right place to post my question - but here goes.

Usually the cheap ballpens you buy leak when put it in your pockets & walk. This typically screws the shirt/pant.
I am looking for the cheapest pen I can buy which
- won't leak
- No air lock formation (the cheap balls again form an air lock - you have to then suck it to get it to write again.
- not very expensive (budget 10-100Rs). I am careless - I will lose it surely - may be in a day or in a month, so don't want an expensive one. Also, it shouldn't be something which people will find worthwhile stealing.
- Not looking for ink pen, because I don't want to keep filling ink on a regular basis.

So what kind of pen should I buy?
Old 15th June 2011, 13:26   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
I am looking for the cheapest pen I can buy which
- won't leak
- No air lock formation (the cheap balls again form an air lock - you have to then suck it to get it to write again.
- not very expensive (budget 10-100Rs). I am careless - I will lose it surely - may be in a day or in a month, so don't want an expensive one. Also, it shouldn't be something which people will find worthwhile stealing.
- Not looking for ink pen, because I don't want to keep filling ink on a regular basis.

So what kind of pen should I buy?
My recommendation for you is the Uniball 'Eye' which costs Rs 50/-, has a decent grip, fantastic pliability for both writing and sketching, doesn't leak and has a decent ink flow. Its available in blue and black and maybe other colours, too.

It lasts for a long time, by which time, you have definitely recovered the Rs 50/-, given the quality it delivers. After that, just buy another one (personally, though, I hate non-refillable pens. Just creating unnecessary junk!)

Last edited by architect : 15th June 2011 at 13:28.
Old 16th June 2011, 10:33   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative View Post
Ahhh ...

I write only with fountain pens and pencils. These are the fountain pens I use:

1 black Sheaffer Prelude
1 silver Sheaffer Prelude
1 black Lamy Safari
1 blue Sheaffer Agio
1 blue Pelikan - cheap pen good for starting out
1 silver Sheaffer Triumph Imperial

Gunning for a Sailor ....
And I bought my Sailor. Heh heh. My variant is the one with the gold embellishments. Easily my favorite writing instrument. Oh, and I have a Waterman too now.
Attached Thumbnails
The Writing instruments thread-sapporo_thumb.jpg  

typeOnegative is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2011, 10:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

Pens are not my thing,and heck with IT jobs,and everything being done on computers,its like Months go by without using a pen
Somehow got this as a gift yesterday,I am not sure if its a genuine or a fake,experts please comment.
A Waterman HD Fountain pen.
Attached Thumbnails
The Writing instruments thread-img_0827.jpg  

The Writing instruments thread-img_0828.jpg  

The Writing instruments thread-img_0829.jpg  

akshay4587 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th January 2013, 20:57   #40
BHPian

Got myself the Airmail 71JT eyedropper fountain pen.
Its been years since i wrote, and want to rediscover the pleasure of feeling a nib glide over paper.
Old 5th January 2013, 22:35   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

I have a lamy safari which is lying unused for many years. Want to start using it again. I use only black ink. Which is a decent ink available in market easily?
Old 6th January 2013, 11:03   #42
BANNED

I just saw this thread. My current collection includes a Mont Blanc Meisterstuck Fountain-pen, Mont Blanc ballpen, Schaeffer Classic Pen, Watereman Ink pen, Cross Ballpens etc. I love my fountain pens but unfortunately more or more stuff is not suitable for ink. Most Greeting Cards, Diaries (even India Today) tend to smudge the ink, so I am forced to use ballpens more and more.
Old 7th January 2013, 00:07   #43
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Just saw this thread quite like sgiitk.

Collection includes Montblanc, Otto, Cross, Sheaffer, Parkers.

All Ball Point pens, Have atrocious handwritting and none of these make it any better.
Old 9th January 2013, 13:50   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
I have a lamy safari which is lying unused for many years. Want to start using it again. I use only black ink. Which is a decent ink available in market easily?
While Pelikan ink looks the best, but unfortunately it clogs both my Lamy Safari as well as my Pelikan fountain pen. Best is either Parker or Chelpark / Camel.
Old 11th January 2013, 20:55   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

I love my Scheaffer fountain pen.

I bought it more than 30 years ago, when we were living in Breda, in the South of the Netherlands. At the time it cost around 200 Dutch guilders which was a lot of money for a pen, any pen for that matter. But it was beautiful and it came with a life long warrantee. I bought it for myself to celebrate/memorate a big promotion at work.

Over the years I had to take it back for the occassional maintenance. The nip starts leaking now and then. Every time replaced free of charge as part of the life long warrantee. Also, twice now the cap had to be fixed. After a while the cap doesn't fit snugly anymore. And that means the nip dries out or the whole barrel slips out. If you're carrying it in your shirt pocket the ink will ruin your shirt.

The thirty years really show and I like it that way. About 15 years ago I took it in to a Dutch specialized pen shop to have it seen too. When I came back a week later or so they gave me a complete new fountain pen. Same model, brand new. And they were pleased; told me all part of the Scheaffer warranty! Although they meant well I was upset, because I just wanted my own worn down pen fixed. So they called the repair centre. They had to dig it out of the garbage bag, but they fixed it and returned my original pen. Not sure if the photographs shows it. It's not just that the original black paint has worn off, it also has also various deep grooves and pitting picked up over thirty years daily use.
When we were in Kansas City, USA a few years back, the cap needed tightening again. Managed to contact the US Scheaffer service centre. Spoke to a very nice lady and explained my problem. And again, sure, just sent your pen in and we'll fix it under warranty.

Other than the postage, I did not have to pay a thing.

I use it every day for work and at home as well. I have found that my handwriting is much more eligible when using a fountain pen than any other type of regular (ball) pen. When I was at primary school (now we're talking a very long time ago!) you used to learn to write with a regular ball point. But in the third year or so everybody had to switch to fountain pens.

The biggest problem with fountain pens is flying. Due to the fluctuation of cabin pressure they often leak. Best way to prevent it, make sure it's upright!

Jeroen is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks