Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2010, 00:48   #31
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm. A lot of Indicas. A lot of Tata vehicles actually! Anyways, I am sure they have pulled up their socks and raised the bar from the V2 days.
Here's my list of regrets:
1. Maruti Zen MPi (2 Valves per cylinder version)-- Over rated and over priced for it's time
2. Samsung Omnia and iPhone 3G (Both cost 36 k when they were bought. Both failed me miserably)
3. Sony Bravia W Series 40 Incher LCD TV (piece of **** cost me over a lac and is on it's last legs within a year and half after purchase!)
4. 5.1 Philips Home Theatre System for Parents' room. My 2.1 computer system sounds better!
5. Pioneer DEH-3450F for my earliest major audio setup. I had a choice to buy an MP3 player but I bought an audio cd player since i thought, 'audio cds sounded better' and I didn't need mp3s!
Old 10th January 2010, 01:13   #32
Senior - BHPian

A PlayStation 2 from Palika Bazaar. 7000 bucks down the friggin drain.

Nokia 3600 and 6300 - The keypad dies whenever I sweat even a bit.
Old 10th January 2010, 01:38   #33
BHPian

I somewhat regret buying santro xing GLS, 4.15 lakhs on road, i could've extended my budget by 40-50k and driven home a swift lxi or a getz
From what i've learnt, instead of buying the top most model of a car, buy the next car(better)in its category with a few thousands extra,
Eg: instead of ANHC top variant, try buying the base civic, insted of a top model alto, buy a spark/santro/i10
Old 10th January 2010, 11:58   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
I somewhat regret buying santro xing GLS, 4.15 lakhs on road, i could've extended my budget by 40-50k and driven home a swift lxi or a getz
2009 one? Why regret?

Guys please also mention year of buy etc too so.

Things that people dont want should go to 'Give Away Thread'
Old 10th January 2010, 12:07   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EssYouWe View Post
A PlayStation 2 from Palika Bazaar. 7000 bucks down the friggin drain.

Nokia 3600 and 6300 - The keypad dies whenever I sweat even a bit.
Aah... makes me recall another one.
Microsoft Xbox in 2006 from Palika Bazaar @ Rs. 8.5k.

Within a month, i tried to mod it to play divx. It went kaput, beyond repair. :(
Old 10th January 2010, 14:24   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
2009 one? Why regret?

Guys please also mention year of buy etc too so.

Things that people dont want should go to 'Give Away Thread'
No, Bought it in aug 08, As i said, i could've bought swift or a getz as they are a segment higher than the santro.
Old 10th January 2010, 15:29   #37
Senior - BHPian

My HP dv2700t laptop, got it in early 2008 for $1050.Immidiately after 1 year warranty period charger stopped working and then battery backup went for a toss. I bought new charger but still using the old battery, problem is battery back up 5-10 min that's it.
Old 10th January 2010, 19:45   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
dude,

Bias?? Kindly enlighten me, biased towards what? What I have written is based on my personal experience and my opinion about apple's draconian restrictive attitude which I think is a little out of place in the 21st century.

My post is not to influence or assure anyone else it's purely my personal experience that I'm ranting about.
To me sounds more like failure to research need and functions. Iphone is both very useful and pathetic at the same time. It fails in Camera department and has quite a few restrictions. But it makes it up with unparallel support for applications.

I hate it, because of bluetooth restrictions, syncing, limited simcard functions, battery backup, touchscreen and few other issues.

I love it because i can run over 20 different Apps specifically for Photography. I can use it to:-

- Show models what pose i was specifically without doing it myself
- Calculate anything and everything i can think of related to photography
- Make a panorama on the go and make sure i will like the end result without taking out 55kg of equipment and spending over 5hrs do it properly
- Access SSH
- Access Google Earth
- Listen to live emergency services Feeds worldwide without shelling out $5000 for a scanner
- Read ebooks
- Calculate planets positions, moon cycles, Planets visibilty and star positions anywhere i go in the world
- Use it as a GPS
- Fake-a-call (call anyone with showing any number on the CID)
- Fake my voice to be a girl's or child's voice
- Check levels
- Broadcasting live camera feed to other users
- Record Conversations
- Access over 10 different email accounts
- Monitor my website
- Monitor my FTP
- Control Itunes on my computer
- Put more than 1 alarm (classic Nokia issue on N95)
- Games available are not available anywhere else (FAST, etc)
- Listen to music and Video

I can ramble forever, but in the end one needs to make a list of functions they need the phone to fulfil and then choose from there. If one doesnt do this, they are bound to be disappointed.

And i feel indian market is completely screwed up when it comes to electronics. People dont buy phones or other electronics because they need/require it, its a status symbol. For exmaple my friend's mom wants a Nokia N97, the maximum use she does from a mobile phone is to make and recieve calls and nothing else, a role fulfilled by even a basic phone but she would spend more than 10times more because its a status symbol. Everyone just wants the new famous mobile phone than the one they require.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSimonS View Post
HTC Touch - I think I rather hate the Windows OS than anything
HTC is probably the worst Phone manufacturer, they fail to provide even the simplest drivers for there own phones, which literally means one will never get more than 30% of the performance they are meant to get. Googling HTC-class-action reveals quite few ugly truths.

My biggest regrets are buying Lenovo R61 considering quality will still be same from IBM times and buying Logitech X530. R61 had shockingly bad quality while X530 start playing AM channels at midnight.

Cheers
Old 10th January 2010, 20:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

My first cycle was Hero Impact, I had terrible experience with that cycle. Belive me it would have some problem or other everyday and my dad would only blame me, whenever I asked for repair cost.

It would used to give me nightmares with its repairs, to an extent that at one point everyday I used to pray to god nothing more should happen wrong with the cycle.

Finally I managed to convince my father to sell it and get an Herculus MTB, belive me I was so relived that my average score improved by atlest 8%. I am not telling any lie. Now when I am earning so much I keep thinking how a trivial thing like cycle had created so much pressure in my 6th std class till my 9th Std.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Hmmm. A lot of Indicas. A lot of Tata vehicles actually! Anyways, I am sure they have pulled up their socks and raised the bar from the V2 days.
Here's my list of regrets:
1. Maruti Zen MPi (2 Valves per cylinder version)-- Over rated and over priced for it's time
2. Samsung Omnia and iPhone 3G (Both cost 36 k when they were bought. Both failed me miserably)
3. Sony Bravia W Series 40 Incher LCD TV (piece of **** cost me over a lac and is on it's last legs within a year and half after purchase!)
4. 5.1 Philips Home Theatre System for Parents' room. My 2.1 computer system sounds better!
5. Pioneer DEH-3450F for my earliest major audio setup. I had a choice to buy an MP3 player but I bought an audio cd player since i thought, 'audio cds sounded better' and I didn't need mp3s!
Wow thats a huge list, good that you remembered everything to jot it down.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th January 2010 at 22:18. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the EDIT button to add to an existing post within 20 minutes instead of posting another consecutive post. Thanks
Old 10th January 2010, 21:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay_b View Post
Hey Akshay, your regret is same as mine. though mine is a oct 2006 model. At that time we were getting swift for 90k more. but dad had max 4 lakh budget, so wanted to stick to it. but difference is, i initially regretted it, like for first 3 months or so, more so because it had bad gear slot from 3rd to 4th. but once got used to it, found it a good car for city needs. so you can say, it was a initial regret overcome by its good traits over 3 years it has served us fruitfully.

2. Magna Great Divide 21 speed bicycle. this thing just don't drive. a pain in a** to sit on and drives so slow that i can run faster than the bicycle.

3. bsnl broadband. it frequently disconnects. say like once every 10 mins. is a headache and the service is no better. the linesman and other internet guy has no idea why this happens
Old 10th January 2010, 21:23   #41
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Wolfheart : Bias?? Kindly enlighten me, biased towards what? What I have written is based on my personal experience ...
Quote:
it_inspector : To me sounds more like failure to research need and functions.

My biggest regrets are buying Lenovo R61 considering quality will still be same from IBM times and buying Logitech X530. R61 had shockingly bad quality while X530 start playing AM channels at midnight.

Cheers
Guys, let's keep this thread more about experiences than trying to justify the merits or demerits of a particular product. I dont think @Ajmat intended that when he started this thread.

@it_inspector, for all we know the X350 was bad item that unfortunately passed through QC. Nobody is questioning you why you picked up that ..

Many people will defend the Nokia N70, but I regret getting the N70 - esp after giving up the cheaper yet better SE K750i. It's about individual experiences, so let's have a laugh about these than get into debates ..

Oh, another I shouldnt have picked up : a Sony CD player .. when I could have got a iPod.
Old 10th January 2010, 21:30   #42
Senior - BHPian

Lots of excersise Machines!!!

Lots of AB PRO, Ab Flex pro, heating Pro Belt, etc etc, all crap, only ended up with back pain and more flab

Old 10th January 2010, 22:53   #43
Senior - BHPian

had to regret a lot when we bought the tata safari, not once but twice- the 2ltr & 2.2 ltr.

even the opel astra gave lesser issues, precisely the reason why we still have the astra & we sold both the safaris.
Old 10th January 2010, 23:00   #44
Senior - BHPian

I regret buying the Autocop xs system from a incompetent shop who did not know how to install the same properly.Left a lot of holes in the car for the fitment,conked off in just 3 months,killed 2 batteries in the car and caused a lot off sleepless nights.I remember sleeping with the car remote next to my pillow at night.Finally did the wise thing and cut and threw away the connection wire.

Also for a period of 2-3 years i regretted taking my car to a garage who again didn't their job too well.I mean when my car used to be tuned up those guys,it used to give me 7-8 kmpl ,imagine that too for a M800.All that while i thought my car was to blame.One fine day i got it into a agrument with the mechanic over a tune up job,got fed up and decided to switch garages.Result car started returning decent mileage again.
Old 10th January 2010, 23:26   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Hey Akshay, your regret is same as mine. though mine is a oct 2006 model. At that time we were getting swift for 90k more. but dad had max 4 lakh budget, so wanted to stick to it. but difference is, i initially regretted it, like for first 3 months or so, more so because it had bad gear slot from 3rd to 4th. but once got used to it, found it a good car for city needs. so you can say, it was a initial regret overcome by its good traits over 3 years it has served us fruitfully.

2. Magna Great Divide 21 speed bicycle. this thing just don't drive. a pain in a** to sit on and drives so slow that i can run faster than the bicycle.

3. bsnl broadband. it frequently disconnects. say like once every 10 mins. is a headache and the service is no better. the linesman and other internet guy has no idea why this happens
Well, I still regret it when i see a getz or a swift, And the regret is slowly vanishing as we are switching to i20 i will be saying "thank god i did not buy the getz or swift's top variant

About ur dataone connection, Contact the higher authority, check modem, splitter and the phone line, does the main phone wire go through a white square box before connecting to the splitter?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks