Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2014, 19:26   #181
Senior - BHPian

Re: Are KFC / Cafe Day / Pizza Hut hygienic anymore?

Shoot an email with details and pictures to http://www.mcdonaldsindia.com/contactus.html and see their response.
Old 22nd September 2014, 10:42   #182
BHPian

I recently saw the documentary 'Fed Up'. It's about the junk food explosion in the US and is an extremely interesting watch. It highlights the government's reluctance to curb unhealthy food in their markets. Our situation is much better, but on seeing the way the fast food multinationals are springing up in India, we will also be sailing in the same boat soon.
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:14   #183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Here it is:

Attachment 1289784

Seeing this, an employee from McDonalds(not the franchisee) was sitting inside the restaurant who came and asked me what happened. I showed the picture to him and first he told that it could be the seasoning present in the sauce. I got more furious since the burger was dry, as seen above with no sign of any sauce. Had to abuse both badly and I couldnt do anything much. If an official from the company itself was trying to put away the case, escalation would again return back to this person, who in turn would just try to hush up offering a refund or something similar.
This is one of the reasons I prefer our home grown brands such as Shanti Sagar's or Adigas, and then again in these places I only have idili's or Dosa's which are freshly prepared unlike these fast food joints.
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:17   #184
Senior - BHPian

One thing has always perplexed me, if Indian food is so healthy why our average life expectancy is much lesser than nations which gorge on so called unhealthy fast foods. I am not even talking about the poor here, but the well off middle class and rich.
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:37   #185
Team-BHP Support

Average life expectancy depends on genetics, living conditions, availability of health care for poor and senior citizens. In India, any average will be greatly influenced by the condition of poor, who are the majority. Are they getting nutritious food, good medical care, and hygienic living conditions? It is a NO on all counts.
Old 22nd September 2014, 11:55   #186
Senior - BHPian

This was the exactly the point I was making, if food habit is not main factor going to decide how long you are going to live or how healthy you are going to be, why make a big fuss. I have seen parents force feeding kids with food they don't like in the name of imbibing healthy eating habits. Is this justified?
Again I am not talking about the unfortunate poor of our country, but the well off people who have access to better healthcare and nutritious food.

Last edited by poloman : 22nd September 2014 at 12:03.
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:01   #187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poloman View Post
One thing has always perplexed me, if Indian food is so healthy why our average life expectancy is much lesser than nations which gorge on so called unhealthy fast foods. I am not even talking about the poor here, but the well off middle class and rich.
Indian food in general is not healthy. Indian food is mainly based on carbohydrates and has more than required quantity of sugar, salt. It has its share of fried stuff, which is no way better than any burger. So, as with any diet, people have to take their food in moderation & must have some physical activity. But the question OP asked is about hygiene & not nutrients.

Another thread on similar theme - Went to eat biryani, offered free Cockroach!

Last edited by msdivy : 22nd September 2014 at 12:03.
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:03   #188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also in addition to Samurai's excellent response do keep in mind the average life expectancy figure is a messed up to use because of the following.

1. Infant mortality. A child dying before age of 5 years will pull down the average of a country severely. This is caused solely by general hygiene and availability of medications. We have quite high number of this.

2. Elder mortality age. Solely based on healthcare. One can sustain a body on the brink of death for several years just on medication and equipment (I am sure you wouldn't want such an end). This improves the average of the country to quite some extent.

To be honest what is healthy and what is not is a questionable answer.
The only this that we have come to know is that calorie intake slightly below the actual requirement prolongs life. So this means that you may perhaps chose to live on junk food for the rest of your life and even improve your health - HOWEVER, SUBJECT TO - eating less than your body's caloric needs. Of course the other issue is about other micro nutrients like vitamins and minerals which traditional food provide in plenty but junk food may not. So you may have to take supplements.

Last edited by alpha1 : 22nd September 2014 at 12:04.
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:05   #189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Again I am not talking about the unfortunate poor of our country, but the well off people who have access to better healthcare and nutritious food.
Well, how are you going to find life expectancy statistics for the well off people? I would rather focus on the kids these days. When my son was 12 years and 42kgs, most of his classmates were weighing between 50-70kgs, with one kid at 87kgs. Most of them eat 4-5 times a week in fast food restaurants. Two years later, that 87kg kid has grown to 95kgs.
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:13   #190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Well, how are you going to find life expectancy statistics for the well off people? I would rather focus on the kids these days. When my son was 12 years and 42kgs, most of his classmates were weighing between 50-70kgs, with one kid at 87kgs. Most of them eat 4-5 times a week in fast food restaurants. Two years later, that 87kg kid has grown to 95kgs.
I don't have any official figures, But in my relative and friend circle,I have seen male members very rarely outlive 80 years which is very common in western countries.
Getting overweight and obesity can be a problem, but eating junk food may not be the only reason for that. There also genetics play the main role. My daughter eats all kind of junk, but still borderline underweight.
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:50   #191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
how are you going to find life expectancy statistics for the well off people?
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23702215

It seems to be pretty well grounded in data. Report is based on last two census and surveys in 500 districts.

Broad outcome:, To be healthy, a person's family needs to earn enough to be educated and gain access to healthcare.

Quote:
It is broadly true that "wealthier is healthier" across the roughly 500 districts in India's major states, accounting for 95 per cent of the total population, they find that poverty and crucially, illiteracy, are much stronger predictors of poor public health than low average income.

Our analysis shows that at both state- and district-level public health is negatively associated with average income and positively associated with poverty.
Quote:
I would rather focus on the kids these days. When my son was 12 years and 42kgs, most of his classmates were weighing between 50-70kgs, with one kid at 87kgs. Most of them eat 4-5 times a week in fast food restaurants. Two years later, that 87kg kid has grown to 95kgs.
That kid is certainly unhealthy, but if his family can afford private healthcare he should survive beyond average life expectancy.
Old 22nd September 2014, 12:54   #192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
This is one of the reasons I prefer our home grown brands such as Shanti Sagar's or Adigas, and then again in these places I only have idili's or Dosa's which are freshly prepared unlike these fast food joints.
Just yesterday I was talking to a friend who runs a diary farm. As per him, the "coconut" chutney served in darshinis contains more ground nut reject waste (after oil extraction), which is used as cattle feed than actual coconut .

And if I start thinking about the stories of synthetic cheese and butter from a place in TN being used by the Bakeries and restaurants, I won't be able to eat anything from outside.
Old 22nd September 2014, 14:30   #193
Senior - BHPian

I had read a story some time back about Synthetic paneer made from harmful chemicals, which is largely supplied by Salem to many hotels and eateries.
That article said to avoid Paneer from Salem, but how do you differentiate when you go to a hotel is questionable. Since paneer forms one of the most staple subji/ curry in any a-la-carte lunch or dinner.
Old 23rd September 2014, 10:58   #194
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Just yesterday I was talking to a friend who runs a diary farm. As per him, the "coconut" chutney served in darshinis contains more ground nut reject waste (after oil extraction), which is used as cattle feed than actual coconut .

And if I start thinking about the stories of synthetic cheese and butter from a place in TN being used by the Bakeries and restaurants, I won't be able to eat anything from outside.
I am kind of happy that it is only groundnut minus oil and not any mix of urea /soap / chemicals.

May be these Darshani guys need to be educated they could market it as less fattening health chutney
Old 23rd September 2014, 12:30   #195
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post

At least the so called Coconut Chutney is safe to eat
KFC, MCD and all the other fast food joints serve us frozen crap. The chicken, Vegies must be over 2-3 months old. Not to mention all of that is processed food.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks