Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd May 2012, 18:11   #76
BANNED

re: Are KFC / Cafe Day / Pizza Hut hygienic anymore?

I waited for 2 days after sending the E mail to KFC but since I did not receive any reponse, I then thought of dropping a feedback note on their site as mentioned by one of the member here.

The moment I hit the submit button on the feedback form, within next ten mins I heard my phone ringing and it was the Manager of KFC who started asking me about the incident.

And as usual he tried to convince me that this mistake is one of it's kind which happens very rarely and apologized for the same. I have told him that I will never have chicken from KFC again, for which he is still persuading me to get back to KFC as they don't want to lose a loyal customer/fan.

Since I did not agree for this, later I got a call from the Marketing Manager asking me to meet him personally, I met him today morning and he says that he wants to see me as their customer again and asked me to take a tour of the kitchen to know their standards and stuffs for which I denied because even after having these kind of standards in the kitchen they still left back feathers in the Chicken.

I guess it is sheer carelessness from the people working at KFC

I have informed media too regarding the same. Any suggestions for the Do next ?
Old 23rd May 2012, 19:34   #77
Senior - BHPian

The feather part is just too disgusting. I am not going back to KFC.

I have even better (if I can call it that!) reason not to eat outside at any of these fancy places. Some friends went to BBQ nation a couple of months ago. There a cockroach was spotted running over one of the utensil lids. One of my friends reported it and the roach was promptly squashed on the same lid by an attendant/ waiter. He then proceeded to wipe the lid with a napkin and then asked my friends to continue serving themselves. They lodged a complaint and left. Apparently they received some really apologetic calls later. But whats the point in that now?!

Anybody showing me a clean kitchen now is not going to help. Its like cleaning up the crime scene and trying to convince you that another wont happen.

Last edited by selfdrive : 23rd May 2012 at 19:35.
Old 23rd May 2012, 19:51   #78
Team-BHP Support

What I noticed during my last visit to Bangalore is that, many still find joints like KFC, Pizza Hut etc. as ‘cool’ places. The real fact is, it is far from that.

Recently, I was told by my American colleagues that nowadays KFCs are not popular at all in main cities, and they are trying to expand more in industrial areas or backward suburbs.

Apart from the recent Australian court case, here are some more stories – got these by a simple Google search.
BBC News - KFC admits hygiene breach at Leicester Square branch
KFCMadeMeSick.com // Did you get sick from eating at KFC?
Old 23rd May 2012, 20:11   #79
BHPian

Never noticed this thread earlier. I was accompanying a friend to the CCD at Inorbit Mall for a coffee. This was about 1.5years back. There was a live cockroach in the coffee. We complained and ask to speak to the manager who was not on the premises. When we said we could go to the press, we were accused of being planted by the competition and threatened evacuation by security personnel.

Mails to the mall as well the firm went unanswered. We've stopped going to any CCD now.
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:02   #80
Senior - BHPian

Interesting topic. Im sure, ignorance is bliss in most of the cases. If you delve deep into details of how hygiene is maintained at any eatery (Street chinese food, vada pao, udipi hotels, darshinis) and the like, you will not go to an eatery any more.

Indian food chains do have a sense of callousness when it comes to dealing with hygiene issues. Having said that, despite our knowledge on hygiene, we still continue going to eateries and fast food chains since its a cool place to hangout. Then why complain?

Has anyone seen a series on Star World some years back called "When cooks fight back"?
The cooks and waiters were secretly videotaped sneezing, and adding other dirty material to dishes served to extremely painful customers . Woww. I and my friends behave ourselves when we go to hotels.
Old 23rd May 2012, 21:28   #81
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
If you delve deep into details of how hygiene is maintained at any eatery (Street chinese food, vada pao, udipi hotels, darshinis) and the like, you will not go to an eatery any more.

Indian food chains do have a sense of callousness when it comes to dealing with hygiene issues. Having said that, despite our knowledge on hygiene, we still continue going to eateries and fast food chains since its a cool place to hangout. Then why complain?
Since this is not Street food or Vada pao where if people find something in food or if it is unhygienic they just ignore it.

I'm complaining because, People visit KFC, MC D and likes to have good quality of food where everything is hygienic and perfect and if you find unhygienic things in places like this, it just becomes intolerable
Old 23rd May 2012, 22:10   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Interesting topic. Im sure, ignorance is bliss in most of the cases. If you delve deep into details of how hygiene is maintained at any eatery (Street chinese food, vada pao, udipi hotels, darshinis) and the like, you will not go to an eatery any more.

What you have said is true in many ways.

We shouldn't be eating knowing that these places serve unhygienic food.

That said, we're paying 100 bucks for a damn burger that doesn't look like anything in the advertisement hoardings. A bill for 4 at KFC will come up to 700-800 bucks these days.

There is a code that must be followed.

When you're paying so much for food, you ought to enjoy food that has been cooked and served hygienically. I mean, we aren't doing them a favour by going there and eating. We're paying for it. The least they could do is stop frying the damn chicken with the feathers still on it, for crying out loud!

Last edited by suhaas307 : 23rd May 2012 at 22:11.
Old 24th May 2012, 23:06   #83
lsp
BHPian

To all those who are complaining about blood in KFC chicken, I don't think that it is a measure of hygiene.

It is natural for the chicken to have blood in all its body. You would have noticed the blood close to a bone joint most probably. It is natural for the blood to be there. The sight of blood, IMHO, should not irk non-veg eaters.

So why isn't there blood in the home cooked chicken you ask?

2 reasons.

First, while buying chicken in the neighborhood market if you would have keenly noticed how the butcher kills the chicken then you might have seen that the butcher slices part of the neck and tosses the chicken into a big drum/bucket where it bleeds to death, thus draining off most blood from its body. I don't know how firms like KFC kill their chicken but from the videos I have seen on Youtube, regarding industrial killing of the chicken is done in an automated manner wherein they also tend to bleed to death. However the process is automated and sometimes the cut on the neck is not correctly done by the machine, hence there is more residual blood in the chicken than normal.

Second, organizations like KFC freeze their chicken thus turning the residual blood in the chicken into solid ice. It stays that way until it enters the deep fryer. But by then the chicken is coated with various things. By the time the blood becomes liquefied by the heat, the outer shell is already crispy thus blocking the blood from escaping. When we cook chicken at home the freezing is not done and also we clean it thoroughly. Whatever residue blood is left mostly escapes into the gravy.

Why only KFC, I've seen blood in Yo China's lollipop also. I have also seen blood in tandoori chicken multiple times, but it doesn't bother me. This usually happens when the chicken in undercooked. I remember once I was having chicken at the very famous Bade Miyan in Bombay and shared a line from Frasier with friends and we all had a good laugh.

"The chicken is so undercooked, I am sure a skilled vet can still save it."
Old 25th May 2012, 08:35   #84
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsp View Post
To all those who are complaining about blood in KFC chicken, I don't think that it is a measure of hygiene.

Valid points. I think most of us have echoed similar thoughts. But the second issue mentioned in the OP is not cool, and it a real hygiene/QC issue – feathers on the chicken wings.
Old 25th May 2012, 09:28   #85
BANNED

About two decades ago a major NY newspaper did a survey of hotel kitchens, and awarded trash bin ratings for the hygiene (or rather lack of it). These very very much in line with the Michelin Star ratings. The higher the Michelin rating the dirtier the kitchen!!
Old 25th May 2012, 09:34   #86
BHPian

In comparison at least with Pizza hut you must be much safer. Cause not much can survive when your Pizza comes out of a 250 deg C oven.
Old 25th May 2012, 09:38   #87
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Many of us eat in road side places including restaurants like Tunday Kabab and Lazeez and Imperial and Empire and so on - has anyone gone in their kitchens?

I think sometimes we are becoming as paranoid as the developed nations - making mountains out of molehills.

Yes, agreed that hygiene is very important etc, but frankly, most of us have built up enough body resistance to be able to handle quite a lot of guff as well, in terms of the food we eat!
Old 25th May 2012, 10:24   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fillmore View Post
In comparison at least with Pizza hut you must be much safer. Cause not much can survive when your Pizza comes out of a 250 deg C oven.
I have once found nice crispy cockroach as pizza topping from pizza hut. After that i stopped ordering from them. These days i have stopped ordering from all these food chains actually. I rather get freshly cooked food from local eateries.
Old 25th May 2012, 10:55   #89
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahulkool View Post
I have once found nice crispy cockroach as pizza topping from pizza hut. After that i stopped ordering from them. These days i have stopped ordering from all these food chains actually. I rather get freshly cooked food from local eateries.
If you were in East Asia then the waiter would have gone to the kitchen and yelled !! Hey he ordered a Veggie regular not the Exotica Garden Fresh !!
Old 25th May 2012, 12:12   #90
AWD
BHPian

Yo China & Bbq chicken have closed shop in our City.
New kid on the block is Republic of Chicken, any reviews about it..? Tried it a couple of times, found ok.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks