Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2013, 16:19   #1201
BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
My passport is going to expire in 2015. If I apply for a renewal now, what would be the expiry date on my new passport?

And guys, what happens to the old passport once its renewed? I know that they enter the old passport number on the renewed one. But do we need to carry both passports every time? I see a lot of people having stapled 2 passports at the airports.
Passport validity 10 years from date of issue.

Yes, we need to carry two passports everytime, assuming you have a valid visa on the older passport.

Not sure though the situation when we dont have a valid visa on old passport.
Old 6th June 2013, 17:21   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post

Not sure though the situation when we dont have a valid visa on old passport.
One does not require to carry his/her old passport if does not have a valid visa.

Waseem.
Old 8th June 2013, 16:09   #1203
Team-BHP Support

Okay, so I contacted passport office. They said I have to go to Regional Passport Office to get the faulty photo rectified.
So for no fault of mine, I had to make a trip to Chandigarh.
Sure enough, after wasting 2 hours, standing in lines I went to a very disinterested officer, who said, it will be rectified, and passport dispatched the same day.
Sure enough, the passport is dispatched, and two days later I get it again. Guess what. The photo is only slightly better.
Its hazy, and there seems to be a mark across the eyes.

So now what? I travel to chandigarh again, and waste another working day?
If they put half the effort in doing their job rather than propaganda and slacking off, we citizens would not need to waste many working days to get a proper photo.
The condition of the Chandigarh RPO is truly appalling. Only one enquiry counter with long line. Bad line management. Haphazard arrangement of rooms. Total mess.

Trawling through forums and searching at google has revealed that this is quite common. Every since the passport office started taking webcam photos, the photo quality is poor. Like most govt offices, these people don't want to put in effort of checking passport before dispatching, and are more interested in drinking tea and wasting citizens time.

Some people with hazy and poor quality photos have even been told "Chalta hai" and not to be finicky. I guess I will apply for my next visa on this very passport, because its beyond the competence of the people employed in that office to print a clear photo.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 8th June 2013 at 17:27.
Old 8th June 2013, 19:11   #1204
Senior - BHPian

Received my passport today at 9:00 AM. Received an SMS and email last night the the passport is dispatched with the tracking number. My passport appointment in Marathahalli PSK was on 30th May.
Old 8th June 2013, 20:08   #1205
BHPian

Congrats pramod. My status now says "Your Passport has been printed and You would receive an sms/email once the passport is dispatched." It will be probably another week before my passport is dispatched. Will continue to poll the website every 6 hours till this happens.
Old 10th June 2013, 15:03   #1206
BHPian

My Passport is due to expire only in the year 2019. But i have following questions for which i need information from fellow members here:

1. My passport reflects old address in Bangalore. is there any hassle free, online procedure of changing the address? If so, details please!!
2. My current passport has B1/B2 US Visa which will expire only in the year 2019. In case of change of address will the passport authorities ask me to surrender my current passport and issue me new passport reflecting current address? If so, what will be the fate of my stamped US visa which is valid until 2019? (if i have to surrender my current passport?)

Apologies if this topic is already covered and the above questions are answered elsewhere.

Guys please help!
Old 10th June 2013, 15:12   #1207
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post
My Passport is due to expire only in the year 2019. But i have following questions for which i need information from fellow members here:

1. My passport reflects old address in Bangalore. is there any hassle free, online procedure of changing the address? If so, details please!!
2. My current passport has B1/B2 US Visa which will expire only in the year 2019. In case of change of address will the passport authorities ask me to surrender my current passport and issue me new passport reflecting current address? If so, what will be the fate of my stamped US visa which is valid until 2019? (if i have to surrender my current passport?)
Why you need to change the address now? I maybe wrong here, but my understanding is, unless you are using your passport as documentation for any kind of address proof, there is no need to get it updated.

Regarding the US Visa, if you are getting a new passport and the US Visa is in the old one, you need to carry both passports (old and new) while travelling to the US. They don’t transfer the visa to the new passport.
Old 10th June 2013, 16:09   #1208
BHPian

Quote:

Apologies if this topic is already covered and the above questions are answered elsewhere.

Guys please help!
1. Don't change your address unless you really need to. Plain and simple there is no guaranteed hassle-free way to do it online. You can only take appointments online. To submit the address you will have to visit a PSK with relevant address proof(s). There may be a police verification too (to verify that you really live at the said address). If you have changed residence in the past year there will be one verification for each address you have lived at in the past one year.

I am not sure if just for address change they issue a new booklet. In case a new booklet is being issued the old passport will be stamped "Cancelled" (thus rendering it unusable).

2. Your visa remains valid even if the passport it is stamped on gets cancelled. As has been said, carry both the passports when traveling.
Old 10th June 2013, 16:15   #1209
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramodpk View Post
Note: Aadhar is not being accepted as address proof even though the website says so. I took Aadhar and Bank passbook with 1 year transactions
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Very easy:
Log in to your account and take bank statements of last one year after change of address/account transfer and you are good to go.

Waseem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
Do note that just the prints or e-statements are not good enough. You need the bank stamp and sign of a bank official on every sheet of the statement.
I am indebted to you guys for providing your valuable feedback to me. I was able to successfully submit the application today.
Had it not been for this forum, I would have gone ahead with only Aadhar card as 'proof of residence' and would have had to come back with a sorry face.

PS: While the site clearly mentions Aadhaar card as valid proof of address, why are the PSK's considering it as supporting only. I tried asking this to couple of people at PSK (Thane) but they said "This is as per orders".

Thanks once again!
Old 10th June 2013, 16:29   #1210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Why you need to change the address now? I maybe wrong here, but my understanding is, unless you are using your passport as documentation for any kind of address proof, there is no need to get it updated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT View Post
1. Don't change your address unless you really need to. Plain and simple there is no guaranteed hassle-free way to do it online. You can only take appointments online. To submit the address you will have to visit a PSK with relevant address proof(s).
Thanks guys for all your valuable feedback. I was asking this not because at this point i am in dire need for address change. If you are staying in a rental house anyway there is no point changing address over and over again. But may be in a year or so, i may move to my own house. at that point i may have to change to my permanent address, hence i asked for the info.
Old 10th June 2013, 16:42   #1211
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks guys for all your valuable feedback. I was asking this not because at this point i am in dire need for address change. If you are staying in a rental house anyway there is no point changing address over and over again. But may be in a year or so, i may move to my own house. at that point i may have to change to my permanent address, hence i asked for the info.
Same case as mine. However, make sure that you have stayed at your own place for at least an year. Certified copies of Sale Deed will come in handy as an additional address proof (specially when you need to submit documents at PS). Try to open a SBI account. Passbook seems to be easily accepted as a P.o.A (as long as it has a photo with bank stamp on it). Apologies for unsolicited gyaan.
Old 11th June 2013, 10:58   #1212
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhamAT;
3145136 Try to open a SBI account. Passbook seems to be easily accepted as a P.o.A (as long as it has a photo with bank stamp on it). Apologies for unsolicited gyaan.
Along with passbook,you need bank statements of last 12 months which are endorsed by the bank as address proof.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 11th June 2013 at 10:59.
Old 11th June 2013, 13:01   #1213
BHPian

I am staying in a rented apartment since last 4 years and expect a police Verification in next couple of days for a fresh passport application.

What are the things that i need to keep ready which might be asked by the Police Verification guys?

Also what do they normally ask the references? Do I need to update them reg something specific (have informed them that there names have been given as ref).

Thanks.
Old 11th June 2013, 13:11   #1214
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
What are the things that i need to keep ready which might be asked by the Police Verification guys?
You need to have ID Proof,Address proof, DOB proof & Educational certificates (original + a set of photocopies) and a couple of passport pics.These are primarily the same set of documents you would have submitted as PSK.

BTW:Police guys seldom check your references.

Waseem.
Old 11th June 2013, 13:32   #1215
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
Also what do they normally ask the references? Do I need to update them reg something specific (have informed them that there names have been given as ref).

Thanks.
You must have given two references when filling up the Application Form. Cops can call these references without you knowing so its better to inform these people that you have given their names in the Passport application. Also, i had to get sign of one of the references (for prev address) on a form given by PS.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks