Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2013, 00:24   #1216
BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
What are the things that i need to keep ready which might be asked by the Police Verification guys?
Police verification in true sense is police personnel will visit your house to confirm whether you are indeed staying in the address provided plus they check whether you have any criminal record!!

Does police verification really happen in bangalore? Not sure now but back in the year 2007 when i applied for a fresh passport, all police did was call me on my mobile and asked me to visit the police station with some list of supporting documents. I visited the police station, they asked me few questions, asked me to pay some XXX (they left it to me how much i wish to pay) and finally asked me to leave, reconfirming that we will send the documents back to passport office with the status: verified
Old 12th June 2013, 12:21   #1217
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazybrain View Post

Does police verification really happen in bangalore?
Physical verification seldom happens in Bangalore.Its the same old procedure that is followed.
Old 12th June 2013, 19:58   #1218
BHPian

I am in utter disbelief.

I applied and submitted the documents for my passport renewal at Andheri PSK, Mumbai on 5th June and i received my new passport on 8th June, that is within 3 days and mind you i did not even apply under the tatkaal scheme. I also had an address change and deletion of ECR.

A friend of mine who had applied for his passport under tatkaal last month and paid double of what i paid got his passport in 6 days.

VVB
Old 12th June 2013, 20:35   #1219
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
I am staying in a rented apartment since last 4 years and expect a police Verification in next couple of days for a fresh passport application.

What are the things that i need to keep ready which might be asked by the Police Verification guys?

Also what do they normally ask the references? Do I need to update them reg something specific (have informed them that there names have been given as ref).

Thanks.
Back in the late 90s when I applied for passport, they called me to the station.
More recently for my wife's passport , three of my neighbours had to give a written statement that they have known her for so many years. The police constable is supposed to visit our neighbours, write the statement and get it signed. What they did was, give me the template, I had to go to the neighbours, get it signed and submit at the station.
Old 12th June 2013, 20:35   #1220
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vvb8530 View Post
I applied and submitted the documents for my passport renewal at Andheri PSK, Mumbai on 5th June and i received my new passport on 8th June, that is within 3 days and mind you i did not even apply under the tatkaal scheme. I also had an address change and deletion of ECR.
VVB

You might have received the passport but it is not yet activated, which will happen after police verification gets completed. And if police verification goes negative the passports stands cancelled in govt records.

This has happened with my friend who also had residence change and got the passport in 4 days. But when applied for visa it got rejected because passport wasn't activated. Only after police verification got completed his passport got activated and he got his visa.

Last edited by humans : 12th June 2013 at 20:37.
Old 13th June 2013, 11:20   #1221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by humans View Post
You might have received the passport but it is not yet activated, which will happen after police verification gets completed. And if police verification goes negative the passports stands cancelled in govt records.

This has happened with my friend who also had residence change and got the passport in 4 days. But when applied for visa it got rejected because passport wasn't activated. Only after police verification got completed his passport got activated and he got his visa.
Hey Buddy,

I am not sure how that works because my father also got his passport renewed 6 months back with the same address change as mine, the police verification is still not done for him and as he travels a lot for work, he has since traveled half the world using the new passport also applied and got visas for many countries.

Also the friend that i was referring to in my earlier post received his passport under tatkaal and traveled with me to Thailand after getting a visa from Bombay. It was only once we were back from our trip that he got a call for police verification wherein he had to just go to the police station with his documents.

VVB
Old 13th June 2013, 11:37   #1222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hey Buddy,

I am not sure how that works because my father also got his passport renewed 6 months back with the same address change as mine, the police verification is still not done for him and as he travels a lot for work, he has since traveled half the world using the new passport also applied and got visas for many countries.
How can you be so sure that police verification is not done.?

Police verification is hassle-free for renewals if particulars in the passport remains the same. (Address,spouse name ECNR Status etc).The local PS would have send the report to the commissioners office without your knowledge.

The other day i was at a consulate for my interview when a lady was told that her passport is not activated and police verification is pending.She had received the passport 2 days before the interview in Tatkaal.

Waseem.
Old 13th June 2013, 11:47   #1223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
How can you be so sure that police verification is not done.?

Police verification is hassle-free for renewals if particulars in the passport remains the same. (Address,spouse name ECNR Status etc).The local PS would have send the report to the commissioners office without your knowledge.

The other day i was at a consulate for my interview when a lady was told that her passport is not activated and police verification is pending.She had received the passport 2 days before the interview in Tatkaal.

Waseem.
Well i can be sure that the verification was not done because i am talking about my father here and i know he did not receive any calls or visits from the police station. Please read my post above, i have mentioned that he had an address change.

If the local PS would have done everything on their own without even getting in touch with us or letting us know, then how is it even a verification?

Talking about tatkaal i have also mentioned about my friend who applied for a visa and traveled along with me after receiving his passport. The verification was done only once we were back from our trip. So if the passport is only valid after verification, how did he travel with me using that passport?
Old 13th June 2013, 12:48   #1224
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Talking about tatkaal i have also mentioned about my friend who applied for a visa and traveled along with me after receiving his passport. The verification was done only once we were back from our trip. So if the passport is only valid after verification, how did he travel with me using that passport?
Did your friend apply for a new passport or it was a case or renewal.?

Wasaeem.
Old 13th June 2013, 15:58   #1225
BHPian

Quote:
Did your friend apply for a new passport or it was a case or renewal.?

Wasaeem.
Renewal with address change.
Old 13th June 2013, 16:18   #1226
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Renewal with address change.
Police verification and passport dispatches by concerned RPO's is parallel activity independent of each other if it is for Renewal (Under normal scheme).

In Tatkal scheme, Police verification happens after the passport is despatched.The catch here is if it is renewal, active passport is dispatched to the applicant and if the application is new, the passport will be active post police verification which generally happens in a couple of days after dispatch.

Waseem.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 13th June 2013 at 16:37.
Old 13th June 2013, 19:04   #1227
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Police verification and passport dispatches by concerned RPO's is parallel activity independent of each other if it is for Renewal (Under normal scheme).
Nopes. It's a linear process, stage by stage.

My passport renewal application, under the normal mode has been in limbo for over 2 months thanks to the police verification ordeal. Just got back to the passport office after a lot of delays.

Quote:
In Tatkal scheme, Police verification happens after the passport is despatched.The catch here is if it is renewal, active passport is dispatched to the applicant and if the application is new, the passport will be active post police verification which generally happens in a couple of days after dispatch.

Waseem.
Agree on the first part. Last time renewal was done via tatkal route, got the passport without police verification. Could travel too.

No idea on the latter part.
Old 14th June 2013, 14:53   #1228
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Nopes. It's a linear process, stage by stage.

My passport renewal application, under the normal mode has been in limbo for over 2 months thanks to the police verification ordeal. Just got back to the passport office after a lot of delays.
Police verification process is not same all over the country.In Hyderabad it is done by a special team appointed for that purpose and in Bangalore it is done by your Local PS.There is a agreed turnaround time in which the PS has to complete the verification and submit the report to the commissioners office.For Bangalore it is 18 days from the submission at PSK center.

I am still not clear why there was a delay in your case.

Waseem.
Old 14th June 2013, 15:56   #1229
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Police verification process is not same all over the country.In Hyderabad it is done by a special team appointed for that purpose and in Bangalore it is done by your Local PS.There is a agreed turnaround time in which the PS has to complete the verification and submit the report to the commissioners office.For Bangalore it is 18 days from the submission at PSK center.

I am still not clear why there was a delay in your case.

Waseem.
The thana has a turnaround time of (max) 1 month here in Pune. Irrespective of the delay at my end (for whatever reasons they were), in other cities too, it is again a linear process. The way I understand it is
1. You file an application on passport website and obtain an appointment
2. Reach the PSK/passport office and submit fees/documents
3. The application undergoes police verification (if deemed necessary as pre-verification)
4. Post a successful PV, the passport undergoes printing

Step 4 will occur only after step 3.

What you are suggesting about parallel process is when PV is deemed post-verification.
Old 15th June 2013, 15:13   #1230
BHPian

Got my passport exactly after 1 Month 1 Day. The postman had left an intimation at the Security, later i followed up with him and collected my passport after showing id.

As told by the postman, they don't attempt delivery on Weekdays when address is that of a flat. So, if you are expecting your passport and live in a flat please keep track of the article through IndiaPost site and try to collect it through the SpeedPost center of your area (not your regular post office).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks