Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th December 2022, 18:29   #2716
BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

I recently got my passport renewed. My passport was delivered and police verification was to happen later. Got it done too but did not receive any intimation or update. Is this always the case?
Old 12th January 2023, 11:15   #2717
Team-BHP Support

Applied for passport renewal for my MIL, for a passport which had expired but within the 3 year timeframe.

Filled up the form online on a Wednesday evening, got an appointment for 4:30PM the following day. Rock up to the PSK about 4PM, we were let inside, and in 10 minutes the whole process was completed!

By Saturday, we had the physical copy of the new passport in our hands! No need for Tatkal, and this wasn't even in metro regions!

I am amazed at the speed and efficiency of the passport renewal process in India. I doubt many countries can match these timelines. Good work to the teams involved.
benbsb29 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 14:00   #2718
BHPian

Guys I need some help regarding my wife's passport. Her passport is expiring next year and was issued from Delhi before our marriage.
Now we are planning to apply for B1 visa but since here passport is only valid for one more year (and has her old details excluding my name) in our current scenario she will only get visa till the validity of her passport.

Secondly I want to change details in her passport like address, Spouse name has to be added as well. And we reside in Moradabad (UP). So how shall I proceed :

1- Shall I apply for a new passport from UP Passport office which is Bareilly.
2 - OR get everything changed from Delhi Passport office

Please advise.

Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 15:25   #2719
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singh09 View Post
...in our current scenario she will only get visa till the validity of her passport.
Is this a correct statement?

Why would the Validity of the VISA be restricted to the validity of passport. I am not sure, but I guess your finding is not correct. You may double check or you already did?
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 15:29   #2720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Now we are planning to apply for B1 visa but since here passport is only valid for one more year (and has her old details excluding my name) in our current scenario she will only get visa till the validity of her passport.
Not really. US B1 Visa if approved will be valid for 10 years. Passport can be renewed whenever needed and it's possible to travel with Visa on old passport. Basically you need to carry both passports (old expired passport with valid visa and new valid passport) during travel. But given you have only 1 year validity left, it's probably better to renew the passport first.

Quote:
Secondly I want to change details in her passport like address, Spouse name has to be added as well. And we reside in Moradabad (UP). So how shall I proceed :
Please check the supporting documents needed. I think it will be a lot easier if your passport has all the required details (address, spouse name) and then your wife's passport can be updated with just your passport and marriage certificate as supporting documents. Where to apply - i think this depends on the jurisdiction of the address you want on the passport.

Last edited by SilentEngine : 29th January 2023 at 15:30.
SilentEngine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 16:38   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
Spouse name has to be added as well.
This is not mandatory now, in case you are not aware. She can travel as is.
Capri89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 18:06   #2722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenoed_ View Post
Is this a correct statement?

Why would the Validity of the VISA be restricted to the validity of passport. I am not sure, but I guess your finding is not correct. You may double check or you already did?
Actually this happened with one of my friend. He and his son got 10 years visa but his wife got only 2 years as her passport was expiring in 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentEngine View Post
Not really. US B1 Visa if approved will be valid for 10 years. Passport can be renewed whenever needed and it's possible to travel with Visa on old passport. Basically you need to carry both passports (old expired passport with valid visa and new valid passport) during travel. But given you have only 1 year validity left, it's probably better to renew the passport first.

Please check the supporting documents needed. I think it will be a lot easier if your passport has all the required details (address, spouse name) and then your wife's passport can be updated with just your passport and marriage certificate as supporting documents. Where to apply - i think this depends on the jurisdiction of the address you want on the passport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
This is not mandatory now, in case you are not aware. She can travel as is.
My main concern is which passport office do I proceed to get her new passport. Since her old passport was made in Delhi and now we are in UP. Since I don't want to take chances with just 1 year on her passport.
Old 29th January 2023, 19:31   #2723
BHPian

Quote:

My main concern is which passport office do I proceed to get her new passport. Since her old passport was made in Delhi and now we are in UP. Since I don't want to take chances with just 1 year on her passport.
Whichever address proof you can give as supporting document take from that place. For example, if her Aadhaar has Delhi address apply from Delhi. But her presence there has to be managed in case the police come for verification.
Old 1st February 2023, 14:05   #2724
BHPian

Guys, I have a query related to parents name in the Minors passport.

I have my name in passport as Surname: Family Name and Given Name: First Name Middlename. But while issuing the passport for minor son, in the Fathers Name field they put just my First Name Family name and skipped Middlename. The reason was to align the same with the birth cerificate issued by the local municipal authority.

My question is, while traveling out of India, would this create any issue for my son while getting visa as the application would be submitted along with parents application?
Old 14th February 2023, 13:34   #2725
BHPian

Just an update on passport renewal experience.

Just now submitted an application at a PSK.

There is inconsistency regarding instructions at the online portal vis-a-vis at PSK.

Online portal says to carry two photographs and Aadhaar original and copy. But these are not required at all at the PSK. All that is required is original passport with a copy of the first and last page.
Old 14th February 2023, 14:48   #2726
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capri89 View Post
Just an update on passport renewal experience.

Just now submitted an application at a PSK.

There is inconsistency regarding instructions at the online portal vis-a-vis at PSK.

Online portal says to carry two photographs and Aadhaar original and copy. But these are not required at all at the PSK. All that is required is original passport with a copy of the first and last page.
I also booked PSK slot yesterday in Bangalore and in fact I have got passport for my kids few months ago. There is no requirement of carrying photos (either in portal or in the PSK) unless applicant is a child below certain age (I think below 4 years age). So I'm not sure where in online portal did you see the requirement of photos for other applicants.

About the copies, I had different experience at Bangalore PSK. They asked for 2 copies of supporting documents which I did not have but luckily they had a xerox machine inside the premise for those last minute things. So now I carry copies with me for any PSK visit for me or my family and also advise others the same way.

May be in your case, there was no address change for renewal hence just the old passport was fine. Otherwise I have seen that officials insist on aadhar (and they prefer physical card and not eAadhar).

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 14th February 2023 at 14:58.
Old 16th February 2023, 13:36   #2727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
So I'm not sure where in online portal did you see the requirement of photos for other applicants.
While filling up the application form online, there was a pop up message on General Instructions. I did not take a screen shot at that time. Now I am unable to locate the same.

Anyway, just to update, received the new passport today, within 48 hours of application, non-tatkal.

The new normal. Government works.
Capri89 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 16th February 2023, 14:26   #2728
Senior - BHPian

While one is using payment services like UPI and using digital sevas like passport, License, Vaahan etc, we feel proud how our country is years ahead of so called developed countries in adopting digital services and cutting delays and paper work.

Was planning a Europe trip and enter through Germany with a Schengen visa. The VFS portal showed slots open for appointments for tourism visa. So booked flight tickets for 4 people when I got a good deal. But alas.. when you try to apply visa appointments for 4 people, no where you can get appointment in India till May. Then why the system showed appointments available is beyond me. Different family members will have to book appointment from different cities?? What a royal mess the visa processing of these countries have become, mind you this is not a immigrant visa and we are going to spend good money in these countries.

Meanwhile found that my daughter's pass port has expired. Booked Tatkal slot for the same in PSK and got the passport in 2 days flat.
poloman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th February 2023, 16:03   #2729
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
So I'm not sure where in online portal did you see the requirement of photos for other applicants.
Got it.....see bullet point 4 of the attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Passport Renewal Procedure-20230219_145742.jpg  

Old 8th March 2023, 12:35   #2730
HTC
BANNED

Had my passport appointment today at Bengaluru - Lalbag passport seva kendra.

I had opted for tatkal. Had paid 1.5k application fee online when submitting the renewal request. Didn't take appointment printout as it clearly says that SMS is sufficient. I checked the documents that needs to be carried. passport copies was the only thing mentioned in the website. My reporting time was 8:45 am. was at gate by 8:40. 9am i was in tatkal counter waiting area. PSK (passport seva kendra) employees came to desk after 9:15am. Lady at counter asked for PAN card. I showed the original. She asked for copy of PAN. Luckily I had one spare photocopy. gave it. Then she asked for DL. gave her the original. She asked for copy of DL aswell. I had to leave the counter, get the copy from within the premises.

After giving the self attested copies, she told me and others who had given docs for verification to wait. after 30 mins, called my name and told me to go to counter 1 and collect the token. There were already more than 15 people in the queue. after staying in the queue for 15 mins, I went and checked with the counter lady, if it is required to come in queue again to collect token. Lady at the counter A yelled at the other counter person as to why she handed over the verified docs to me instead of sending it to her desk. Any how, it had been almost 2 hours since I was let in. I showed little displeasure on the way things are being handled.

After getting the token number (verbal), it was quick. Was out in 20 mins. Luckily I had carried cash as I had to pay 2k cash for passport renewal (apart from tatkal 1.5k fee online). There were quite a few who didnt had cash and asking others for cash and return by phonepe. I am told new passport will reach my address in 3 days.

Its better to get early morning slots as the crowd swells post 10am.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks