Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st April 2023, 12:48   #2746
Senior - BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
We had quite a different experience in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by praveen789 View Post
I think it depends on case to case..
There are two types of police verification - pre and post.

1 Pre-verification : For first time applicants and renewal cases with personal particular change or expired passports, old passport issued from other state etc, police verification is done first and then passport is issued. Also depends on the documents submitted, see point #2.

2. Post-verification : Passport renewal before expiry and no change in personal particulars other than address and old passport issued in same state then passport is issued first followed by police verification. Applicant must have proper address proof like Aadhar, voter id, electricity bill, DL etc to be granted passport under post-verification basis. If other address proofs are submitted like rental agreement, phone bill, HR letter etc then mostly post-verification is not granted.

Also, based on personal experience, if aadhar (physical card) is submitted as address proof then it helps in getting passport on post-verification basis.

For tatkal cases, police verification is done after passport issuance. That's why they insist on proper documentation to allow application under Tatkal.

Final decision to grant passport on pre or post verification basis lies with the govt officer at counter C at the PSK.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 21st April 2023 at 13:08.
Old 21st April 2023, 14:15   #2747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post

2. Post-verification : Passport renewal before expiry and no change in personal particulars other than address and old passport issued in same state then passport is issued first followed by police verification. Applicant must have proper address proof like Aadhar, voter id, electricity bill, DL etc to be granted passport under post-verification basis.

Also, based on personal experience, if aadhar (physical card) is submitted as address proof then it helps in getting passport on post-verification basis.
this is not necessarily true. I just had address change within the same state and had provided my aadhaar with updated address but it still went into pre verification category. Like you mentioned it seems to be randomly done at the C counter.
Old 21st April 2023, 14:58   #2748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
this is not necessarily true. I just had address change within the same state and had provided my aadhaar with updated address but it still went into pre verification category. Like you mentioned it seems to be randomly done at the C counter.
Thanks for sharing

My comments were about verification types and likelihood of getting one or the other based on general yardstick. Eventuality govt officials have final say based on their judgement of the individual application and their own records. Just today I read an article that a lady got passport renewal granted within hours as her passport was damaged and she was denied boarding so she approached RPO with a plea to help her fly asap to attend her son's wedding in US.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 21st April 2023 at 15:03.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 15:40   #2749
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
There are two types of police verification - pre and post.
I think there is one more type where no police verification is required - in cases where passport is renewed before expiry or within some time-period post expiry and there is no change in address & other details.
finneyp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st April 2023, 21:34   #2750
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Generally they ask for one copy at the PSK but no harm in carrying two.
One set was enough and they returned all those documents. Looks like the reason for asking copy is that it makes document scanning job easier with type of scanners they are using (experience at the PSK Sai Arcade, Bengaluru)

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
in cases where passport is renewed before expiry or within some time-period post expiry and there is no change in address & other details.
I think it is the discretion of the officer at counter C. I renewed my passport recently due to validity, all other particulars remained same and the passport office marked it as post verification. Even our kids (10 and 12.5 years) were marked for post verification. Last time kids were marked as no police verification.
airbus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 18:28   #2751
BHPian

Quote:
Apparently, it does not work that way in Mumbai.

I visited the police station today morning and they stated that the police has to visit the premises first and they will give the list of documents required. I have to then take those documents and then go to the police station for verification. I sort of fail to understand why the second step cannot be done directly. Or why they cannot check the documents at home itself if they are anyway visiting.

Coincidentally I received an SMS few mins back from Maharashtra Police that some police personnel will visit within the next 3-4 days. Hoping they actually stick to that timeline.
Just wanted to update on how things panned out.

Timeline:

20th Apr 2023 - PSK appointment
21st Apr 2023 - Visited Police station - told to wait till the police visit in a few days
27th Apr 2023 - No sign of police visit. I go the police station again and get the number of the person who was supposed to visit. Speak to him and he says he will come the next evening
28th Apr 2023 - he signs the required document and gives the list of things I need to take to the police station. Main pain point was I was staying here for less than a year so he mentioned an adverse report will be made (I didn't understand the gravity of this till later).
3rd May 2023 - i submit the documents at the police station (delayed this a bit as I was travelling from 5th May till 21st May).
4th May 2023 - Status changes that police has sent the file to SP office for review
24th May 2023 - no change in status. I contact a local passport agent for assistance. He says he can get the SP status cleared. I tell him that I have been staying at the place for less than a year and he says that it will definitely get stuck at the next step (RPO) and will lead to a re-verification from the police. He agrees to help clear that step as well.
25th May 2023 - status changes to SP has sent a 'not clear' report to RPO (exactly as the agent had confirmed). If I had not gone through the agent, I would have to visit the RPO (earliest appointment is in Jul 2023) and submitted a form requesting for police verification to be done again.
26th May 2023 - RPO check cleared and passport sent for printing. Same evening status changes to passport has been printed and will be dispatched soon.
31st May 2023 - Passport in hand

Long story short - agents are still very much relevant in today's age. In case you have any changes or need things done quickly, they can work magic. If I had approached him at the start, probably I would have the passport in my hands in the end of Apr itself. The status went from stuck at SP office (since 3 weeks) to passport printed in 2 days.

Last edited by praveen789 : 31st May 2023 at 18:31.
praveen789 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2023, 18:52   #2752
Team-BHP Support

I renewed my just expired passport this month, expired in Mar. Filled form online in April and got appointment for 9th May in Bangalore.

9 May - 2 PM appointment and arrive at 1.45PM. Reality Q is already there at entrance. Waited in the sun and let in by 2.10. First counter took hardly 10 mts. Then inside A took about 15 Mts wait, actual process then on was 5 mts. Wait to B was again similar and not even 2 mts actual process. But wait for C went on for long and finally I got out by some 5 PM. Overall experience thanks to wait time is 0.5* out of 5 (Horrible chaos) compared to smooth one I faced 10 years back in same office.

Moral of the story, try to get appointments in the morning. Second half the pile up of Tatkaal and Children will increase your actual wait time by hours.

9 May - Status updated to police verification same day.

Waited till Saturday 13th May and no calls came. Elections were on, so attributed that may be the reason. Since I had to travel out of town for a week, took a chance and went to police station on Saturday 13 May. The concerned cop asked if I had got a call, I said no.. but since it was already almost a week thought of checking in person (politely, grey hair and glasses help). He asked for the application number, fished the forms. Filled the address affidavit and a passport size pic affixed. Cop had asked me if it was own house and I had confirmed that was the case. He mentioned status will be updated in few days. I thanked him and left and said update delays are fine since main thing was I didn't want to miss the verification due to my travel/being out of town the coming week.

17 May - status was updated as verification done and passport went for print.

19 May - evening received SMS passport is dispatched.

22 May - new passport received at home.
Old 31st May 2023, 19:03   #2753
BHPian

I have taken appointment for myself and my kid for passport renewal. We both got same time. To make sure we don't face any issues, myself, my wife and kids will be going to passport office as they create problem if one parent is missing.

Can anyone tell me what all documents we should carry?
I will be carrying..
  • My Passport and my kid's passport in original
  • My passport and my kid's passport in photocopy
  • Adhaar card and its copies
  • Annexure D for my kid

Anything else needed?
Old 31st May 2023, 20:01   #2754
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I have taken appointment for myself and my kid for passport renewal. We both got same time. To make sure we don't face any issues, myself, my wife and kids will be going to passport office as they create problem if one parent is missing.

I will be carrying..
  • Annexure D for my kid

Anything else needed?
Please carry birth certificate of the child as well. If child is 10th pass then mark sheet / 10th pass certificate also.

If both you and child are going for passport renewal then please expect a longer process. In my case, first they only issued token for me at counter A and made me go through counter B to generate my application ID. Then I had to come back to counter A with this application receipt (and a copy of it which I had to get from the xerox machine at counter A) to get token for my child and go thru all the counters together. It took me 3-4 hours due to this. Please plan accordingly.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 31st May 2023 at 20:28.
Old 31st May 2023, 21:24   #2755
BHPian

Quote:
Please carry birth certificate of the child as well. If child is 10th pass then mark sheet / 10th pass certificate also.

If both you and child are going for passport renewal then please expect a longer process. In my case, first they only issued token for me at counter A and made me go through counter B to generate my application ID. Then I had to come back to counter A with this application receipt (and a copy of it which I had to get from the xerox machine at counter A) to get token for my child and go thru all the counters together. It took me 3-4 hours due to this. Please plan accordingly.
Thanks a lot for that heads-up. I didn't expect what you told where in first I go and get my stuff done upto step B and then restart at A then do it all over for my kid.

My kid is small so no 10th pass certificate. But yes i will take original and xerox birth certificate.
raksrules is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2023, 09:26   #2756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a lot for that heads-up. I didn't expect what you told where in first I go and get my stuff done upto step B and then restart at A then do it all over for my kid.

My kid is small so no 10th pass certificate. But yes i will take original and xerox birth certificate.
Apparently child application needs parents passport details at counter B. If any parent is also renewing passport along with the child at the same time then officials need parent's renewal application number to mention in the child's record (application) at counter B. That's why this longish process. According to me, they could have done this update for both parent and child at the same time at counter B but the person at counter A didn't issue child's token if parent is also undergoing renewal.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 1st June 2023 at 09:30.
Old 1st June 2023, 12:51   #2757
BHPian

The passport office in Bangalore is a mess. Case in point

Son is a minor and his passport needs to be renewed. Missus goes with her passport, annexure D, son's passport, and all other documents except mine as mine had gone for renewal. Doc checker (Counter 1) says the father's passport is a must. So got all the other processes done, but the file is pending. I am going there tomorrow for giving my passport copy to the file. Let us see what happens

Incidentaly, when I had gone for renewal (under Tatkal), the person standing before me at Tatkal counter was renewing the passport of his daughter (minor). He did not have his annexure D. Doc checker verified all documents and asked him to get Annexure D. The person said that he is coming from outside Bangalore and it would be too difficult. Doc checker says all other docs are there, you can get Annexure D from the photocopy guy, put all details, and sign it for both yourself and the missing wife and give it. Problem solved !!!

Looks like the process has fallen through big time and the crowd across Counter B and C is maddening. It seems that TCS will get a consulting assingment soon for process reengineering !!!
Old 1st June 2023, 13:33   #2758
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by subraiyr View Post
Son is a minor and his passport needs to be renewed.
Is there a guidance on renewal of a minor's (rather, infant) passport, in terms of when it can be done? My kid's passport (the first one valid for five year) will expire next year, and I'm just curious if I should get it renewed proactively (~ six months before expiry), or wait until closer to the date. This, since Passport and Aadhar for infants are issued in blocks of five years. I don't want to renew it too early and realize the validity isn't the entire term possible.
Old 1st June 2023, 14:43   #2759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Is there a guidance on renewal of a minor's (rather, infant) passport, in terms of when it can be done? My kid's passport (the first one valid for five year) will expire next year, and I'm just curious if I should get it renewed proactively (~ six months before expiry), or wait until closer to the date. This, since Passport and Aadhar for infants are issued in blocks of five years. I don't want to renew it too early and realize the validity isn't the entire term possible.
For my son's first passport, we renewed it 1 week prior to 5 years getting over. I understand that post passport expiry, the process for renewal at backend takes a little longer with preverification and post verification. It might be prudent to do it just before expiry
subraiyr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2023, 03:19   #2760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I will be carrying..
  • Annexure D for my kid

Anything else needed?
Quote:

Just wanted to add that you should also carry your wife's passport (and copy) if she holds one.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 2nd June 2023 at 03:44.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks