Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2023, 11:01   #2776
BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Hello all, please help with information about passport renewal process for my son who is now 7 years old. His current passport is expiring in 3 months and I want to renew it before it expires. Please share the renewal process. Do I fill up an application form online? And then take an appointment from the website? What are the documents one needs to carry for the appointment?
Old 20th November 2023, 13:15   #2777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ankan.m.blr View Post
Hello all, please help with information about passport renewal process for my son who is now 7 years old. His current passport is expiring in 3 months and I want to renew it before it expires. Please share the renewal process. Do I fill up an application form online? And then take an appointment from the website? What are the documents one needs to carry for the appointment?
Renewal is pretty straight forward. Login to passport seva , select renew passport, fill up details and book a slot at desired Passport Seva kendra. You need parents passport, kids older passport, Aadhar card of parents(optional) and you can keep birth certificate handy. This is the easy part, the tough part is waiting, it can easily take upto 3 hours and the procedure in each counter lasts max 5 minutes.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th November 2023, 14:32   #2778
BHPian

What is the solution if you receive a damaged passport (poor threading separating the booklet from the cover)?

The envelope on the passport states that you should report any damage or discrepancy to the RPO within 15 days. However, there is no response to phone calls and emails from the RPO. Further, an appointment for the RPO is not available for the next three months, and you cannot walk in to the RPO without an appointment.

Should I just apply for a passport again, although it is not my fault, or is there an alternative solution?
Old 21st November 2023, 08:32   #2779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS_Guru View Post
What is the solution if you receive a damaged passport (poor threading separating the booklet from the cover)
I found a way to submit my grievance at https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in...nlineGrievance. Let's see if it works.
UPS_Guru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 10:40   #2780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What is the solution if you receive a damaged passport (poor threading separating the booklet from the cover)?

The envelope on the passport states that you should report any damage or discrepancy to the RPO within 15 days. However, there is no response to phone calls and emails from the RPO. Further, an appointment for the RPO is not available for the next three months, and you cannot walk in to the RPO without an appointment.

Should I just apply for a passport again, although it is not my fault, or is there an alternative solution?
I'd advise you to get it resolved or apply for renewal. One of my friends passport had this issue and he could not apply for Schengen Visa. He had to get a new passport (renewal) on urgent basis. He was able to get UK Visa on same passport (just a week earlier) but Schengen visa processing guys refused to accept the same passport.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 21st November 2023 at 10:41.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 15:55   #2781
BHPian

I have just applied for reissue of my passport which expired in March. I have the passport number as well as the file number but seem to have misplaced the actual passport. Will an affidavit be sufficient or do I need to file a FIR? Thanks
Old 21st November 2023, 20:33   #2782
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_blue View Post
I have just applied for reissue of my passport which expired in March. I have the passport number as well as the file number but seem to have misplaced the actual passport. Will an affidavit be sufficient or do I need to file a FIR? Thanks
You will need FIR for lost passport.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2023, 13:42   #2783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I found a way to submit my grievance at https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in...nlineGrievance. Let's see if it works.
RPO will take their own sweet time to respond. Ideally you should get a call and mail with appointment date. They will try to push you to apply for fresh passport, you may have to negotiate with passport officer to send new passport without charges as its a mistake from their end.
PrideRed is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2023, 21:20   #2784
BANNED

Has the proposed biometric passport materialized? It was planned to be started in Benagluru.
Old 20th December 2023, 20:28   #2785
BHPian

While most of the recent posts here are talking about what one does AFTER applying online, AFTER getting an appointment, AFTER they visited the PSK, what is baffling to me, is how did these people get to log-on in into the passport seva portal in the first place?!! - while I tried the age old remedies of trying to log-in using different browsers - Brave / Edge / Firefox - I am still getting the SAME response -
"The Online portal is currently facing some technical problem. Please try after some time."
Anyone here knows something better than what I am trying to do?
Old 21st December 2023, 04:22   #2786
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunil@KA25 View Post
While most of the recent posts here are talking about what one does AFTER applying online, AFTER getting an appointment, AFTER they visited the PSK, what is baffling to me, is how did these people get to log-on in into the passport seva portal in the first place?!! - while I tried the age old remedies of trying to log-in using different browsers - Brave / Edge / Firefox - I am still getting the SAME response -
"The Online portal is currently facing some technical problem. Please try after some time."
Anyone here knows something better than what I am trying to do?
Are you trying this and still facing issue?

https://portal2.passportindia.gov.in...ct/welcomeLink
Old 21st December 2023, 09:25   #2787
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
You will need FIR for lost passport.
Exactly. I was in Bhutan when I lost my Passport. So I had to lodge an FIR with Bhutan police and then get a letter from our Embassy. Then on return I could apply for a new one on that basis. I had a photocopy of the old passport so things were easier both with our chancery and here.

Last edited by sgiitk : 21st December 2023 at 09:28.
Old 21st December 2023, 09:39   #2788
BHPian

Quote:
The envelope on the passport states that you should report any damage or discrepancy to the RPO within 15 days.
Go & meet the PRO of the centre from where you had applied for the passport. You don't need appointments to meet the PRO / Help Desk during morning hours. I don't know if the process has changed now, but it is worth a try visiting them in person for your problem.
Old 21st December 2023, 18:32   #2789
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deep_blue View Post
I have just applied for reissue of my passport which expired in March.
Hi

No FIR, if the passport has expired. However, if its still valid then you will need to lodge a FIR, as you will need the FIR copies in many a places, including passport office.

You don't need your old passport (as proof) when collecting your new one

Thanks

Last edited by libranof1987 : 21st December 2023 at 20:08. Reason: Fixing broken quote tags
LiveLife is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2023, 20:05   #2790
BANNED

Further, since I had got the entry page also copied in Bhutan (Rs. 5 per page there) when exiting the lady was very happy after seeing the papers to try and find my entry number, and was delighted to find I had a photocopy, so she immediately stamped the exit on the police FIR. It took a little time at Kolkata since the chap went to his boss before clearing my entry. Actually with the FIR and the Embassy stamp there should have been no issues, but he wanted to confirm. So returned with a smile and I was through.

The embassy will not give a letter without the FIR so both were necessary. When I applied for a fresh passport on my return again he wanted to check with the RPO (I went to him and he permitted immediately marking so on my application) and then the process was very quick. The chap at Counter B asked me to wait, and I did not even have to go to Counter C, since he got me the paper.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks