Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th February 2021, 09:53   #2626
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharatbits View Post
8. Is there any other acceptable address proof apart from bank passbook that i can easily procure.
Address change on passport can be done with a company letter head stating they know you live at that address. That along with company ID is all you need. Apply tatkal and you will get your passport next day with police verification happening at a later point. If you pay for the 60 page you will get it. I think it is 500 or 1000 rs more.
If you renew now, you will get from current date. I suggest you wait on your wifes passport.
I dont believe the delay in renewing the passport should have any impact to your renewal other than some additional fee, am not too sure on this point. Check the passport seva portal as it is quite informative and has a wizard like guidance tool.
diyguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 20:33   #2627
RWD
BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Address change on passport can be done with a company letter head stating they know you live at that address. That along with company ID is all you need.
Thanks for the information.

My wife is applying for renewal and all our address proofs are for our previous address. I had asked her to get a bonafide letter on company letterhead for the purpose of passport renewal - which she duly applied for. But, the bonafide letter was issued in electronic format (pdf). Would you know if she could use a colour print out of the same, or should she try to get a hard copy somehow, which might be a little difficult in WFH scenario? Thanks!
Old 7th February 2021, 22:12   #2628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWD View Post
But, the bonafide letter was issued in electronic format (pdf).
The electronic pdf is what i have used twice and worked just fine, for my company its an automatic download. I had not carried my id card the first time, which was rather illogical of me.
diyguy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th February 2021, 22:43   #2629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. I have to get my passport renewed. It expired in Aug 2018. Is this delay ok? or will it require police verification again etc and thus longer processing time?

4. My wife's passport will expire in April 2022. If i apply for renewal now will i get a new passport from 2022 to 2032. Or will it be from today (the day her new passport is issued) like Feb 2021 to Feb 2031?
Below FAQ from passportindia website would answer couple of your questions:

Quote:
Q44: My passport will expire in 2 years. What should I do?
A: You can apply for a re-issue of passport up to 1 year before the expiry or within three years after the expiry of the existing passport without fresh police verification, provided there is no change in personal particulars and there is clear police report with respect to your previous passport and there is no adverse entry in the system. You can also apply for re-issue of passport if your previous passport expired more than three years ago, but fresh police verification would take place.
balenoed_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2021, 00:35   #2630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
2. I don't stay at the address mentioned on my passport. The address on my passport is in Hyderabad. I stay in Mumbai now. I have nothing on my name at the new address. The rent agreement also expired 40 days ago and i continue to stay at the same house based on good understanding between me and the owner.

5. Is it, if at all possible, easier to get passport renewed in Indian embassies abroad given that they would have lesser applications? Or do we have to visit India for passport renewal? I would not have an address to stay in India as i would be staying in hotels or with relatives when i visit India for short visits.

8. Is there any other acceptable address proof apart from bank passbook that i can easily procure? Any notarized document, anything etc.
2. Why not get a new rental agreement made? It should not take more than an hour and a couple of hundred rupees.

5. Not able to understand the logic behind this question. Are you planning to relocate out of the country? Even in that case, since your passport is already expired, wouldn't you have to get it renewed here itself?

8. A friend was saying that updating the address in aadhar is a quick process. Once done, you can download the e-aadhar and use it for address proof.
Jaguar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 10:53   #2631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
5. Not able to understand the logic behind this question. Are you planning to relocate out of the country? Even in that case, since your passport is already expired, wouldn't you have to get it renewed here itself?
I asked that for my wife. Her passport is expiring in a year. Wanted to know if i have to make a visit to India for that or i can get it done in the Indian Embassy in the foreign country.

Also, one other question. I booked a slot for Tatkaal renewal of my passport. Plans got delayed a bit, so now if i choose to go ahead with normal renewal, is it possible?
Old 12th February 2021, 11:39   #2632
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I asked that for my wife. Her passport is expiring in a year. Wanted to know if i have to make a visit to India for that or i can get it done in the Indian Embassy in the foreign country.

Also, one other question. I booked a slot for Tatkaal renewal of my passport. Plans got delayed a bit, so now if i choose to go ahead with normal renewal, is it possible?
Generally, one is not allowed to travel if the passport is expiring within 6 months. So I feel you are cutting it too close by not renewing your wife's passport. Since you anyways have to get your passport renewed, I suggest you renew your wife's passport as well. You can get it done in one trip and not worry about the renewal process in a foreign country.
Old 12th February 2021, 16:48   #2633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Generally, one is not allowed to travel if the passport is expiring within 6 months. So I feel you are cutting it too close by not renewing your wife's passport. Since you anyways have to get your passport renewed, I suggest you renew your wife's passport as well. You can get it done in one trip and not worry about the renewal process in a foreign country.
Her passport is 1 year 2 months away from expiry. We are not likely to be back to India in the next 2 years. I don't think we can renew if the expiry date is more than a year away. I am sure many people would have been in this situation before. I'd like to know what others do in this kind of situations.

Visited PSK for Tatkaal renewal today. The APO mentioned the photo (not sure old passport one or the ID proof one) and I don't appear similar. Put remarks as Appearance Changed ( I had clean shaved head and beard recently and the photo was a couple months old with hair) and posted for pre police verification. Said Tatkaal not possible.

They were selling some passport pouches made of genuine leather and PU in different colours. Rs 450 I think for PU and Rs 600 for pure leather. I expressed interest to buy the pure leather one but on seeing the actual pouch found it a bit bulky to keep in pocket and fly. I opted out. Paid just for SMS service.

Last edited by bharatbits : 12th February 2021 at 17:05.
Old 12th February 2021, 17:47   #2634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wanted to know if i have to make a visit to India for that or i can get it done in the Indian Embassy in the foreign country.
You can get the passport renewed at the Indian Embassy. I have had the passports of all members of my family renewed at the Indian Embassy over the last couple of years.

EDIT: To get our passports renewed at the Embassy, a valid residence permit was required. I guess your wife will be holding some kind of residence permit in the country where you are going to. Please do check if there are any specific requirements.

Last edited by StarrySky : 12th February 2021 at 18:05.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2021, 18:15   #2635
Senior - BHPian

I got my PP renewed just today. My previous PP was a two year validity one that expired last August which was issued from San Francisco Indian Embassy.
I had to get it from the Embassy since my previous to that PP by which I traveled to the US on, was stolen.
Not sure if it was because of that reason that I was given a two year PP or if applied through an embassy, it is always a two year one.

Surprising part was that the APO at the PSK was asking me why it was a two year PP and I had to give in writing under what circumstances I got that PP after which they approved the re-issue of a fresh PP.
Old 12th February 2021, 21:41   #2636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Her passport is 1 year 2 months away from expiry. We are not likely to be back to India in the next 2 years. I don't think we can renew if the expiry date is more than a year away. I am sure many people would have been in this situation before. I'd like to know what others do in this kind of situations.
I don't think there is any such rule. When I renewed my passport, I got it done for my mom as well, although it was more than a year from expiry. If you apply for a change of address or any particulars, it is considered a new application, and you get a new passport with 10 years validity from that date. My suggestion is to get it renewed for her too and don't bother about it in a foreign country.
Old 14th February 2021, 07:20   #2637
BHPian

My passport reissue is at the police verification stage at the Wadala Truck Terminal PS.

Mumbai police website here https://mumbaipolice.gov.in/passportstatus
says i need to submit any 2 of

Residential Proof (Any 2) :-
  • Rationing Card
  • Housing Society Letter / Maintainance Receipt
  • Leave and License Agreement / Receipt / Immovable Property Registration Papers
  • Government″s Allotment Letter
  • First and Twelth Month Telephone / Light / Water / Mahanagar Gas Bill
  • Bank Passbook first page xerox / Income Tax Certificate
Since, i am staying as a tenant is it alright if the Housing Society letter/ Maintenance Receipt, Telephone, Water, Light, Mahanagar Gas Bill are not in my name?
Old 14th February 2021, 07:41   #2638
BANNED

Quote:
Yes. Passports can be renewed at the Indian Embassy. I know people who renewed their passport at the Indian Embassy in the US. You should check the current rules to make sure nothing is changed. And also phone your local embassy to make sure.
carboy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2021, 08:00   #2639
BHPian

My passport was renewed in December on my previous address proof where I no longer stay on the ill advise of the APO and it got returned undelivered. I booked an appointment at the RPO and explained the situation, I also took along my new bank passbook with photo as proof for new address. The officer was satisfied and asked me a pay a fine of 1500/- and they will raise a new police verification request post which my new passport will be issued. In the meantime a police verification call came from my old location. I went there and told the officer the case, he said it is now impossible for me to get a passport unless he sends his report that I don’t live in my old location, which may take 1 year. He asked for a crazy amount of money for doing so, which I disagreed to pay and went away. Now it has been a month post my visit to the RPO and fine payment and still the new address police verification has not happened. I am unable to find time on a weekday to visit the local police station of my new address, will try next week. But is it really possible my verification will be stuck due to my old police station’s action?
Old 25th February 2021, 20:38   #2640
Senior - BHPian

So I got the new passport in Tatkal. Its a re-issue of the passport as it was expiring in October 2021.

The passport was delivered the next day to my house as it was a Tatkal, a police verification was initiated. The day after I visited the passport office, my dad's Corona test results came positive.

The Police officer came below my building today and told me to come down. I told him we are under home quarantine as my father is tested Corona positive and hence after 10 days I would be able to visit the police station.

He said he will keep my file as pending and I could call him after 10-12 days for further steps.

I hope this will not cause any problems.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks