Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th December 2018, 06:52   #2521
BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

This is not about renewing the passport but getting it replaced. I have searched around on the web but couldn't find the latest convincing information. Hence, I am posting the query here.

My passport is in pristine condition, but the binding in the middle has come a bit too loose, i.e., the book and its cover moves a bit away from each other. This is due to poor quality. It is so loose that the cover and book can come apart anytime and is a risk traveling on it. Someone with knowledge of these matters told me that for a period of months when I obtained my new passport, the passports were made with a different construct which is not sturdy at all. I also heard that to replace this, I don't have to go for reissue and pay a fee, but go directly to PSK with passport and documentary proof and ask to see the PSK officer who will analyze the matter and decide upon it. My passport doesn't have any other damage and is in pristine condition.

Can anyone who knows the latest procedure for this, kindly let me know?

Thanks in advance.

Note: there is no urgency for me to travel as I won't be traveling in the next 6 months at least.

Last edited by murillo : 30th December 2018 at 06:54.
Old 5th January 2019, 07:39   #2522
BHPian

The same thing happened to my passport - the binding was coming loose. Two immigration officers commented on it, and told me that I was not allowed to patch it up with cello tape. Apparently this is "tampering" !!!

I had another problem. The printing on page 1 had been smudged at one corner, and the passport had been laminated over it. As a result machines could not read it, and the passport details had to be keyed in manually. This caused delays and frowns at every immigration counter, and also did not allow me to use machines at immigration to avoid queues.

Hence I decided to get a new passport through Tatkal, citing damage. Application was online.

It was simple and fast, though expensive (Rs 5,500). I entered the passport office quickly, despite a queue, by saying "Senior Citizen". The process at the P/P office took 1 1/2 hours, Strangely nobody asked me what the damage was.

I went to the P/P office on 02 Jan, the policeman came home yesterday (04 Jan) for verification, and I have received an email and SMS saying that the new P/P has been despatched.

Quite good, I must say !!
Old 6th January 2019, 08:21   #2523
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benu9714 View Post
The same thing happened to my passport
Thank you for sharing your experience.

By hearsay, I was told that in case of "manufacturing defect", I can walk-in with the passport and identity documents and meet the passport officer who will review the case and if found justified will issue a new passport, without the need for paying anything.

I am yet to go to the passport kendra, which I plan to do sometime in the next few weeks. Let me see how it goes.
Old 15th January 2019, 18:16   #2524
Senior - BHPian

Is a notarized affidavit needed to get the spouse name changed in the passport after marriage? The Q&A doesn't answer this part and the document advisor doesn't mention anything either.
Old 15th January 2019, 19:28   #2525
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Is a notarized affidavit needed to get the spouse name changed in the passport after marriage? The Q&A doesn't answer this part and the document advisor doesn't mention anything either.
Here's what we did:

1) Get the Marriage Certificate done
2) Change name in bank accounts: just show the Marriage Certificate
3) Change name in Aadhar: you'll need bank statement and Marriage Certificate
4) Change name in PAN (optional)
5) Change name in Passport with the help of Aadhar and Marriage Certificate

No affidavits necessary anywhere.
Old 15th January 2019, 20:50   #2526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Here's what we did:

No affidavits necessary anywhere.
Thanks.. The first 4 are all done. Only remaining activity is the passport.
Old 15th January 2019, 20:52   #2527
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Thanks.. The first 4 are all done. Only remaining activity is the passport.
Only marriage certificate is required to get the name changed or get spouse name added in your passport. Nothing else is required.
Old 17th January 2019, 15:48   #2528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by get2bid View Post
Only marriage certificate is required to get the name changed or get spouse name added in your passport. Nothing else is required.

Actually no, on the spouse name part. I recently did my passport renewal at Hyderabad where i put in my Spouse's name, wasn't asked for any proof or marriage registration certificate.

In fact the Ministry of External Affairs had recently communicated that a marriage registration certificate was no longer needed.

EDIT: Apologies, I misinterpreted the information, for spouse name change after marriage, the relevant documents are indeed needed.

Last edited by sandx : 17th January 2019 at 15:51.
Old 17th January 2019, 16:10   #2529
Senior - BHPian

Passport application - for 2 family members;

Application type: Normal
Online application date: 26-Dec-2018
PSK appointment date: 27-Dec-2018
Police verification 1-not required 1-required
Police officer visited home on 28-Dec-2018
Passport 1 received on 31-Dec-2018
Passport 2 received on 01-Jan-2018

Total time took:
Passport 1: 3 working days
Passport 2: 4 working days

Last edited by Latheesh : 17th January 2019 at 16:12.
Old 17th January 2019, 16:38   #2530
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Application type: Normal
Passport 1: 3 working days
Passport 2: 4 working days
My parents visited the one of the PSKs at Bangalore as per appointment on 1st of Jan this year. It was for renewal of their passports with change in address.

So far the application status just says that the necessary fees was paid along with the documents submitted. No change in status whatsoever for both the applications. Application type was Normal.

In my case, I renewed under Tatkal, with change of address and I received the passport in 2 days. Wondering why is it taking so long now reading your post.

Another thing. At the PSK, both my parents were insisted to buy the hard cover for the passport, costing 500 INR and when I told my parents that they were fleeced, they said the person at the desk said it is now compulsory!!!

Last edited by paragsachania : 17th January 2019 at 16:44.
Old 17th January 2019, 16:42   #2531
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
My parents visited the one of the PSKs at Bangalore as per appointment on 1st of Jan this year. It was for renewal of their passports with change in address.

So far the application status just says that the necessary fees was paid along with the documents submitted. No chance in status whatsoever for both the applications. Application type was Normal.

Wondering why is it taking so long now reading your post.
You might want to call them and check the status over phone. There could be a possibility of documents getting stuck in PSK for some reason. It does not take that long for initiating police verification.
Old 17th January 2019, 16:44   #2532
BHPian

Quote:

So far the application status just says that the necessary fees was paid along with the documents submitted. No chance in status whatsoever for both the applications. Application type was Normal.

In my case, I renewed under Tatkal, with change of address and I received the passport in 2 days.

Wondering why is it taking so long now reading your post.
My wife's & kids' had the appointment on 15 Nov'18 and on 1-Dec the status showed 'fees paid & documents submitted..' and still shows the same. I don't know what's the hold up. Any one any clue on what could be the issue and how to check?

In my case, I renewed under Tatkal, with change of address and I received the passport in 7-10 days.
Old 17th January 2019, 17:06   #2533
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_skyliner View Post
You might want to call them and check the status over phone. There could be a possibility of documents getting stuck in PSK for some reason. It does not take that long for initiating police verification.
Exactly my worry. I have also asked my parents not to miss calls from unknown numbers as it could be a call for Police Verification. The email given for communicate is mine so I haven't received any mail on verification too.

I will wait till the end of tomorrow and things don't change, I will call and ask for the status as this is renewal and it doesn't usually take so much time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wangdu View Post
I don't know what's the hold up. Any one any clue on what could be the issue and how to check?
Is again long indeed.

You may want to call the passport helpline as the_skyliner advises.
Old 18th January 2019, 14:57   #2534
BHPian

In Pune Police Verification, there is a new documentary requirement for the service of "change of address".

If proof-of-address is the rental agreement, then an NoC is needed from the house owner. This NoC should be done only at Maharashtra E-Seva. Notary NoC is not acceptable.
Old 18th January 2019, 16:23   #2535
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So far the application status just says that the necessary fees was paid along with the documents submitted. No change in status whatsoever for both the applications. Application type was Normal.

They should have subscribed for the SMS at the desk A where they were fleeced for the cover. I had opted for this and got timely updates right from the application submission to the day my passport was despatchd. Can you check if you can do it now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks