Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2018, 15:17   #2416
BHPian

Re: Passport Renewal Procedure

Guys need some help here.

My passport expired..well..an embarrassingly long time ago and I never bothered to renew it till now. Heres the situation.

My last passport was issued back when I was a minor. It was issued from the Indian embassy in Oman. Before that I was listed in the 'children' column in my moms old passport. Laws changed and I had to get one issued from the embassy. The problem is, in that passport, my name is different (middle name is included), home address is different (we moved) , mom's maiden name was used, dad's 'tharavaadu' name is spelled wrong etc. I came back to India for my 10th and thereafter all my certificates (aadhar included) don't use my middle name and have the consistent parents name/home address etc.

Last time I went for a renewal, they asked me to bring a one-and-the-same document, ads in 2 different newspapers announcing name change, gazette notifications and so on. I was too lazy to follow up and left it at that.

Now with the aadhar card, I was advised by an agent to apply for a fresh passport as the other 'person' doesn't exist

So how should I proceed?
Old 27th March 2018, 15:35   #2417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralJazz View Post
..So how should I proceed?
Please click on this link and then select/ enter your particulars. You will be provided with the list of documents required to be submitted for the passport along with the list of acceptable documents.
As far as I understand, if the old passport has a different name than the one you want on the new passport, you definitely need newspaper clippings for name change announcement along with a gazetted officer notarizing the name change.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by get2bid : 27th March 2018 at 15:40.
Old 27th March 2018, 15:54   #2418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diyguy View Post
Renewed my 17 year old daughters passport today in Chennai, Aminjikarai. It had expired last October. I had applied for a 10 year passport for her and she is finishing school this summer. The document advisor was pretty useless in her case. I was only suggested to take annexure D, parent address proof and old passport copies. After reaching there was asked to produce an address proof in her name because I had asked for 10 year validity. They also asked her 10th standard marksheet for ECNR. I had her eaadhar print out in our current address but they refused that as the digital signed pdf did not have the green tick mark in the print out. Also had taken the school bona-fide certificate and her school ID card but it did not have our home address on it. I had attached a bsnl land line bill in my name and my wife was asked for an address proof in her name too. So got her bank statement and gave.
Counter B junior staff said she will not be granted the passport and if granted it will be valid only till she turns 18 (Six months). Counter B was suggesting I go home and come back when she turns 18 to avoid the shirt validity passport that she will get. I persisted and he then said counter C will decide and progressed us there. However counter C senior staff accepted my bsnl bill and wife's bank statement as valid proof of address for my daughter though she had a long hard think about it.
Sharing experience for others especially on the eaadhar digital signature and the gamut of additional documents that were asked for over the document advisor list.
I stayed at home because I knew this would happen, arranged all the extra stuff and then went and joined my wife and daughter. She had earlier walked in at 3:55PM and we walked out at 5:00pm.
I also had another issue, the 10th class marksheet had my wife's name with my family name as her surname while her passport had her maiden family name on it. Counter B and Counter A staff said this would not suffice for ECNR. Again counter C accepted it but will have to wait and see for ECNR.

Got an immediate sms that file number has been granted on pre-police verification basis. Did not understand what this means
As an update my daughter received her 10 year valid passport on the 24th of March, 55 days after submitting the form at PSK. Ridiculously long process for a minor passport renewal. The delay apparently was due to her not having a original address proof of her own. If it were a 5 year validity parent details would have sufficed. She had an Aadhaar card but the print out did not have the tick mark of a certified authority. I had not known this when printing her eaadhar. What's the point if they cannot validate a Aadhaar number on their own? Why should the eaadhar print out have the tick mark when they can verify it through government channels online?? The plus side of the experience was that the policeman who came home was extremely polite and refused any money saying it was his duty.
Old 28th March 2018, 13:34   #2419
BANNED

It is over 10 days since my wife applied for a fresh passport (the old one having run the course). No changes whatsoever in the details. The Aadhar was incorporated.
sgiitk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2018, 19:02   #2420
Distinguished - BHPian

My experience with Passport renewal:

Type : Re-issue with Address Change under Tatkal
Application Channel : Online

Process:
  • My passport was due to renewal and since I had moved to a different address, I had to opt for 'Change in Personal Particulars' while applying online.
  • After logging in, I filled up the form completely including details of the existing passport
  • I make a payment of 1500/- online and then scheduled an appointment online further to which I uploaded the documents online

Documents carried:
Self attested photocopies of the following documents for verification:
  • 1. Passport : First 2 and last 2 pages
  • 2. e-Aadhaar copy downloaded from UADI site (Address Proof)
Originals carried: - Passport only while I did have a colored print of e-Aadhaar

At times, for Non-ECR (Formerly) ECNR, they expect you to carry your Matriculation or higher degree certificate but in my case they didn't ask for this mainly because it was a renewal.

At the PSK, Lalbagh Road:
  • Reporting time was at 11:15 and I ended up reaching only at 11:30, thanks to my own mistake of starting late from home
  • You only need to show the Appointment SMS that mentions the 'Batch' and they allow you in
  • Once inside the office, you need to collect the token at the main counter - Tatkal applicants are allowed to get inside to a Tatkal counter where you need to to join the queue and collect your token
  • At the Tatkal counter, for some reason, they took over an hour to issue token and this was the case with everyone ahead of me but that wait was not painful as I was sitting and killing my time browising
  • They announced my name, I collected the token print, and the documents that I had shown here and waited at the common area with other applicants for the Token number to be displayed on the Screen
  • Counter A is where most of the action is - They verify all the documents and the online form that I had submitted. In fact, mistakenly I had entered the Pin Code of my old address which he promptly corrected in front of me - So minor corrections, post submission of online form can be done at Counter A
  • At Counter A, they also captured my Photo along with fingerprints. Here I paid another 2000 in cash (Tatkal fees is paid here in Cash and not online) along with 45 INR for SMS alerts. Finally I was provided the print of the application along with a receipt of cash paid - 1500 Online, 2000 + 45 in cash.
  • I was then asked to wait for my call at Counter B which and then Counter C and both these places they merely verified the documents
  • Overall, post issuance of token, I spent less than 30 minutes from Counter A to B and C
  • Once I was done with Counter C, I went to the Exit Counter, collected my Acknowledgement and walked out of the PSK

Timelines: I came out of PSK at 1400, @1438 : I receive an SMS that Printing has been initiated, @1739: Passport Printed and will be dispatched soon.
paragsachania is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th April 2018, 07:45   #2421
BHPian

My Father's expired passport was issued in Ernakulam, Kerala.
He has changed his residence and Adhaar, Election commission Card has his new address in Kerala.
He is now staying with me in Pune.
Can he apply for a new passport here in Pune and take appointment in the Pune passport office?
Old 10th April 2018, 08:45   #2422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
I had a query. Is the address as per aadhaar to be 100% matched with the address we mention on the passport form? I.e. including Landmarks, near etc if mentioned in in aadhaar, will it also come on the Passport? My aadhaar shows two names of roads.
Bumping up my query. All those who renewed their passport with Aadhaar, did the address in the passport form have to be 100% matched with Aadhaar address? In my case, the aadhaar address has additional roads mentioned.
Old 10th April 2018, 09:35   #2423
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happysmiles View Post
My Father's expired passport was issued in Ernakulam, Kerala.....Can he apply for a new passport here in Pune and take appointment in the Pune passport office?
Yes, he can apply in Pune. I had to do the same few years back for someone in family and did not face any issue. Police verification was required in this case.
Old 10th April 2018, 09:36   #2424
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Bumping up my query. All those who renewed their passport with Aadhaar, did the address in the passport form have to be 100% matched with Aadhaar address? In my case, the aadhaar address has additional roads mentioned.
Almost yes. I did that yesterday and before I applied online I applied changes to my Aadhaar (address) using UADI portal.

However, minor things like Pin code, Building name(spelling), Road name (Main Road against just Road), adding "Flat" in front of apartment number etc are accepted when documents are verified at counter A.

It is at Counter A where you will be asked to confirm if all details you see on screen are good and be part of the passport.

So as long as the address has most details in Aadhaar, you need not worry.

However, if there is a huge difference, I would suggest to make changes in Aadhaar first and then apply. All it takes is a day's time for the changes to reflect in your Aadhaar and you can download it.

Last edited by paragsachania : 10th April 2018 at 09:43.
Old 10th April 2018, 10:32   #2425
BHPian

I am running out of pages and have applied for a tatkal reissue but took a normal slot for the 13th. While paying I was made to pay 2000 instead of 4000 but I got a message saying I will have to pay as per tatkal fee. Any idea if they accept this balance 2000 as cash there? Also I applied for the jumbo and my current address matches Aadhaar but not my previous passport. I hope I will not have any complications there.
Old 10th April 2018, 12:22   #2426
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am running out of pages and have applied for a tatkal reissue but took a normal slot for the 13th.
Quote:
While paying I was made to pay 2000 instead of 4000
200 Should be the normal Fees while the balance has to be paid at the PSK, Counter A.
Quote:
but I got a message saying I will have to pay as per tatkal fee. Any idea if they accept this balance 2000 as cash there?
Yes, you need to pay in Cash at the PSK after getting your Token and then proceeding to Counter A where you will be provided with the receipt for all - 2000+2000 + 45 (if you opt for SMS Notification)

Quote:
Also I applied for the jumbo and my current address matches Aadhaar but not my previous passport. I hope I will not have any complications there.
That was the same case with me. So basically this is 'Renewal with Change in personal particulars' for which all that you need to provide is your current address proof (Aadhaar).
Old 10th April 2018, 12:31   #2427
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
So basically this is 'Renewal with Change in personal particulars' for which all that you need to provide is your current address proof (Aadhaar).
Thanks very much. I will provide an update post my visit. I opted for tatkaal as my daughter's renewal took about 2 months now. Hers was change of address along with renewal and being minor in age group 16-18.
Old 10th April 2018, 13:28   #2428
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Almost yes. I did that yesterday and before I applied online I applied changes to my Aadhaar (address) using UADI portal.

However, minor things like Pin code, Building name(spelling), Road name (Main Road against just Road), adding "Flat" in front of apartment number etc are accepted when documents are verified at counter A.
. All it takes is a day's time for the changes to reflect in your Aadhaar and you can download it.
Thanks Parag. It is clear now. The address is 90% same. Only in Aadhaar, they have added an additional road name and Bangalore South, which as per me is superfluous info.
Old 10th April 2018, 14:07   #2429
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Thanks Parag. It is clear now. The address is 90% same. Only in Aadhaar, they have added an additional road name and Bangalore South, which as per me is superfluous info.
The match need not be 100%. Additional information about street information, nearest landmark etc would not need to match. As mentioned by paragsachania, this is verified at counter A and as long as the major part of the address matches, you should be good.

Quote:
I am running out of pages and have applied for a tatkal reissue but took a normal slot for the 13th. While paying I was made to pay 2000 instead of 4000 but I got a message saying I will have to pay as per tatkal fee. Any idea if they accept this balance 2000 as cash there? Also I applied for the jumbo and my current address matches Aadhaar but not my previous passport. I hope I will not have any complications there.
Tatkal fees for 2k needs to be paid in cash at counter A. This fee is not collected online. In addition, you will have to pay Rs:45.00 towards SMS charges in case you opt for it.

Last edited by get2bid : 10th April 2018 at 14:13.
Old 10th April 2018, 15:28   #2430
Senior - BHPian

Well, I completed the procedure for renewal and received my passport too. However since I had given my permanent address for the passport (same like in my licence, adhaar, bank account, etc.) but I am presently not residing there. Police have given an adverse report for address verification, and I have now received a long mail requesting me to state why I should not be instigated for forging my address details !

I have replied to the mail in detail, but wondering what the next course of action would be.

Most Viewed