Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2013, 09:08   #601
BHPian

Help needed: IELTS for Australian PR

Hi BHpian,

My wife and I want to apply for Australian PR. I am in Singapore for last 6 years. We both are professionals - I work in an Investment Bank and she is in a Commodity Trading firm.
I dont not need "Partner's point" to reach required 60 points for skilled immigration point system. I am the primary applicant and would appear for IELTS.

Do my wife also need to appear for IELTS? Or just me? She can get a letter from her school that her education was in English. I tried to get this info from Australian Embassy here but they pointed me to Australian agents which I dont want.

Anyone with similar experience here?

Cheers,
Ajay
Old 2nd May 2013, 19:50   #602
Senior - BHPian

re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Any idea on international schooling in the Johar Bahru area of Malaysia?
Old 2nd May 2013, 19:56   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajayrec View Post
Hi BHpian,

My wife and I want to apply for Australian PR.

Cheers,
Ajay
Australia seems to be quite popular of late! See Shankar's response to a similar query made only a few posts ago on this very same thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Write to bensb2b for first hand information.
Old 3rd May 2013, 07:07   #604
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post
Australia seems to be quite popular of late!
Very true. I see a lot of queries on this.

Folks - I am currently located in Melbourne. Happy to answer queries if you are planning to move to Aus.

I many not be able to answer technical questions on the new PR process. The best place to start is the IMMI website which is quite user friendly. They have these PDF booklets for all the visa classes. Read it thoroughly before embarking on the application process.
Old 3rd May 2013, 09:43   #605
BHPian

Hi C300,

Thanks for the offer - would certainly get in touch with you if I need help.

I went through the website. It is indeed very detailed but the query I have posted here, there is no clarity. I emailed immigration - Australian Embassy in Singapore, they pointed me to their agents rather than a straight forward answer - clearly not helpful.

Moving to Australia - Actually I liked the place when we visited it last. My wife is more keen as quite a few friends are there, specially Sydney. Been 6 long years in Singapore - kind of getting bored

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Very true. I see a lot of queries on this.

Folks - I am currently located in Melbourne. Happy to answer queries if you are planning to move to Aus.

I many not be able to answer technical questions on the new PR process. The best place to start is the IMMI website which is quite user friendly. They have these PDF booklets for all the visa classes. Read it thoroughly before embarking on the application process.
Old 3rd May 2013, 10:00   #606
BHPian

Re: Help needed: IELTS for Australian PR

Quote:
Hi BHpian,

My wife and I want to apply for Australian PR. I am in Singapore for last 6 years. We both are professionals - I work in an Investment Bank and she is in a Commodity Trading firm.
I dont not need "Partner's point" to reach required 60 points for skilled immigration point system. I am the primary applicant and would appear for IELTS.

Do my wife also need to appear for IELTS? Or just me? She can get a letter from her school that her education was in English. I tried to get this info from Australian Embassy here but they pointed me to Australian agents which I dont want.

Cheers,
Ajay
If your wife too gives IELTS then it would add to your score, provided she scores >= 6.
Even though you may cross the initial threshold with respect to points it better to add to your profile as it increases your chances of state sponsorship in Australia.

I am also located in Singapore and I have all the details required for Oz immigration from here. Let me know in case you need any more info.
Old 3rd May 2013, 10:24   #607
BHPian

Thanks buddy. Well, yes it increases the approval chances.

But is it OK her not to give IELTS? Would just a plain letter from her school suffice saying that her education was in English?

If we dont get such letter, Australia charges around 4,000 SGD for dependent - which of course I dont want to pay. Can I get away with IELTS and also this fee by producing the school letter? If not, I would ask her to give IELTS - no choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
If your wife too gives IELTS then it would add to your score, provided she scores >= 6.
Even though you may cross the initial threshold with respect to points it better to add to your profile as it increases your chances of state sponsorship in Australia.

I am also located in Singapore and I have all the details required for Oz immigration from here. Let me know in case you need any more info.
Old 3rd May 2013, 12:30   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Moving to Australia - Actually I liked the place when we visited it last. My wife is more keen as quite a few friends are there, specially Sydney. Been 6 long years in Singapore - kind of getting bored
Sydney and Melbourne are vibrant cosmopolitan cities. Perfect weather, friendly easy-going people and good public transport.
You wont regret the decision.
Old 3rd May 2013, 12:35   #609
BHPian

Thanks mate. I loved Melbourne more. Great Ocean drive and a drive to Philip island was just awesome. Visited few wineries on the way.

Sydney was not bad too. Nice blue mountain drive. But my vote goes to Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by C300 View Post
Sydney and Melbourne are vibrant cosmopolitan cities. Perfect weather, friendly easy-going people and good public transport.
You wont regret the decision.
Old 3rd May 2013, 13:29   #610
BHPian

Quote:

But is it OK her not to give IELTS? Would just a plain letter from her school suffice saying that her education was in English?

If we dont get such letter, Australia charges around 4,000 SGD for dependent - which of course I dont want to pay. Can I get away with IELTS and also this fee by producing the school letter? If not, I would ask her to give IELTS - no choice.
As far as I know there is no such thing as dependent in Aus like we have here in Singapore.You and your wife both would be PRs once your application is approved and she will also be equally entitled to work. I guess you meant that your wife would just be a co-applicant. The co-applicant doesn't need to provide IELTS scores if your profile is fantastic enough to qualify on its own merit.
Old 3rd May 2013, 13:48   #611
BHPian

Looks like lot of guyz from Singapore are planning for Aussie. Yes, Me too do not feel like staying long in Singapore. Bachelor life in Singapore was great. After marriage can not go to(every weekend) pubs/discos/night out as I used to. With out that it's kind of boring here as it is small country(actually city) and no car and no long drives.

I am going to Aussie for 2 weeks vacation in August. Let me see how that appeals to me.
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:02   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
As far as I know there is no such thing as dependent in Aus like we have here in Singapore.You and your wife both would be PRs once your application is approved and she will also be equally entitled to work. I guess you meant that your wife would just be a co-applicant. The co-applicant doesn't need to provide IELTS scores if your profile is fantastic enough to qualify on its own merit.
Yes - I would go for that co-applicant one. Lets see how it goes. It would be a one application for both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_kun View Post
Looks like lot of guyz from Singapore are planning for Aussie. Yes, Me too do not feel like staying long in Singapore. Bachelor life in Singapore was great. After marriage can not go to(every weekend) pubs/discos/night out as I used to. With out that it's kind of boring here as it is small country(actually city) and no car and no long drives.

I am going to Aussie for 2 weeks vacation in August. Let me see how that appeals to me.
Yes Arun. Same with me. We enjoyed a hell lot here. Partied hard.. Went to disc till morning. Boozed till we drop. But its been 6 yrs doing same so bored now. Looking for a place with decent lifestyle and something different - like long drives, trekking and exploring new places. I went to Aus in 2010, liked the place. Specially Melbourne and Gold coast. Sydney was more like Singapore only (Apart from few weekend drives nearby).

Cheers
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:16   #613
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I understood your query. In the case of your wife, if she is a dependant on your PR visa, all she would require is a statement from her university stating that the medium of instruction for the course of her education was English. This would suffice, and although a dependant, she can also take up employment once in. Hope this answers your query.
Old 3rd May 2013, 14:47   #614
BHPian

Yes - perfect. I wanted to confirm this and have a second thought rather than getting surprises later. Thanks buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I understood your query. In the case of your wife, if she is a dependant on your PR visa, all she would require is a statement from her university stating that the medium of instruction for the course of her education was English. This would suffice, and although a dependant, she can also take up employment once in. Hope this answers your query.
Old 4th May 2013, 02:06   #615
BHPian

Guys, if one wants to look for a skilled IT job in Australia or Canada, how would one go about it?
Where would one start looking?
Or rather how would a well educated person or a person with good experience, start looking for a hob abroad in places like Australia, Canada, UAE, or any first world country?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks