Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2013, 04:36   #646
BHPian

re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!

Quote:
Originally Posted by D'Artagnan View Post
Hi, I'm going to Canada to do my MBA this year. By your post it looks like it will be quite a struggle to get a job in Canada?

Some background: completed my engineering worked for a while. Wrote my GMAT and got accepted into asper school of business (Manitoba university), since I'm taking a loan to fund my education I would like to close it ASAP after completing my degree.

Will it be very difficult to land a job for an Indian?

Your insights will be greatly valued.
Congrats D'Artagnan from an other UFM (University of Manitoba) Alumni. Did my Masters in Engineering there. I had kinda planned my emigration and landed in Canada as a PR and started school straightaway. But I worked in the Middle East prior to that, to accumulate some capital to get me thru the intial years. That helped a great deal.

Once my thesis started, we got paid by our advisor, making life a whole lotta easier, and by the half way thru the 2nd year, one of the lab technicians hooked me up with an Engineering firm and was able to land a permanent job. So, in my case thing went pretty good. I never had plans to settle in Canada, the idea was ultimately to work and settle in the US. Unlike a lot of people, weather was never an issue for me. Its 7 to 8 months of real cold and 4 months of hot summer. By the time I completed by Graduate degree in three years, I was a Canadian citizen and the move to the US was pretty easy.

In my case, I resigned and just drove to US (5+ years in Winnipeg, Canada) and started applying. Found a job shortly and with the Canadian citizenship, I was able to avail the TN visa regime to legally work in US and being born outside India, the path to citizenship has been relatively painless. It's a whole another epic for US citizenship, for people born in India, China, Philippines and Mexico, as you probably know.

In my opinion, there simply is no comparison to the opportunities and remuneration between US and Canada. But personally, the greater issue is cultural in that, I grew up surrounded by Blues, Jazz, Rock and such and always had a great affinity to the US culture (both black and white). The painful, torturous and eventful american history I believe, has made US, a nation with tightly woven and extra strong cultural charateristics, both good and bad, that is not given to much deviating from its national character. I like that and appreciate it very much. Whether agreeable or not, US actually stands for something. I also find Americans much more genuine than Canadians. For all its positives, there is a lack of mulitfacetedness of core cultural makeup to the the canadian culture that projects a kind of mediocrity, with risk averseness as its most noticeable feature. Not a place I want to return to but, as they say, man proposes and god disposes. All that being said, being employed professionally in Canada will give you a quality of life that is among the highest in the world. Again, you cannot compare a successful professional career in US to Canada, in level of satisfaction, growth and/or remuneration. You just have to be honest in answering the question, "was this the kind of life, I was looking for or want, when I moved to Canada?"

Please keep in mind unless, things have changed, Canada does not or did not accept any foreign degrees, including US ones, if you're looking for Professional Organizational memberships except, for PHd's who still had to got thru the qualifying exams. These memberships were based on Undergraduate degrees and if they were not Canadian, the path to get accredited was a long, years long, and often career destroying endeavor. If you find yourself at that place, STOP. DO NOT CONTINUE DOWN THAT ROAD. The difference in the US, everyone has the same pathway, a much more level playing field. Things could be different now in Canada, however.

Good luck, D'Artagnan. Keep your eyes open for opportunities for both of you to get a foot in the door for any any professional opening. Once in, things get much better. I wouldn't worry too much about paying off the loan as these are tax deductible anyway, and once employed will take care of itself. Networking, excellent raport with the faculty, not just the profs, everyone will ultimately land you a decent opportunity. And a simple advice I give to students who listen, Toning down a little the "India is the greatest/shining" chant and showing some appreciation for the country and the culture that's giving you this possible life changing and wonderful opportunity, will go a long way in opening unexpected doors.

Take these jottings for only what its worth. My expectations obviously are much different from others. I apologize for the long post, but more is better than less, when life changing decisions are being considered. I always suggest Professionals, especially with a good career going, to think long and hard, any decision to move to Canada.

Last edited by VLOCT : 18th May 2013 at 04:39.
Old 19th May 2013, 01:00   #647
BHPian

Hi everybody.
Here is a link to a cartoon which appears on page 9 of the Economic Times dated 2nd May 2013
The cartoon is part of the ongoing campaign by The times of India group celebrating 175 years.
It shows the ground realities and difficulties of living in India
http://epaper.timesofindia.com/Defau...&ViewMode=HTML
Regards
MODS:I feel that the cartoon is relevant to the topic as it highlights the problems the common man faces. However if you think that it is not appropriate please delete.

Last edited by faustus77 : 19th May 2013 at 01:07.
Old 21st May 2013, 14:31   #648
BHPian

Hi All,

Want to know how hard it is search and get jobs in Australia assuming that am in India and have a work permit.

THanks,
Rajesh
Old 21st May 2013, 20:41   #649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500cc View Post
Hi All,

Want to know how hard it is search and get jobs in Australia assuming that am in India and have a work permit.

THanks,
Rajesh
Depends which industry which you belongs too. If you are in IT and have a work permit then you should be able to secure a job in Oz with some effort.
A couple of my friends in the Telecom domain were able to secure jobs in Oz while sitting in India itself.They too had the advantage of holding a valid work visa.

I am not sure about other sectors/industry.
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:31   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter_Ego View Post
Depends which industry which you belongs too. If you are in IT and have a work permit then you should be able to secure a job in Oz with some effort.
A couple of my friends in the Telecom domain were able to secure jobs in Oz while sitting in India itself.They too had the advantage of holding a valid work visa.

I am not sure about other sectors/industry.
Thanks Mate, am into IT Infra Architecture. Planning to relocate to Oz for long term. In discussion with y-axis to get the visa done. Any other leads you can give will be helpful.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:43   #651
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
am into IT Infra Architecture. Planning to relocate to Oz for long term.
Happy to know that you are banking for IT Infra career in Oz. Let me stay tuned for your feedback after some time.

I am in similiar profession and now personally inclined to check options abroad but family is pulling me back from any very long term options .
Old 22nd May 2013, 10:49   #652
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Mate, am into IT Infra Architecture. Planning to relocate to Oz for long term. In discussion with y-axis to get the visa done. Any other leads you can give will be helpful.

Cheers,
Rajesh
Why work visa when you can apply for a PR rightaway in case you are targeting long term.With PR you can and would most probably get state sponsorship and the state would help you to get jobs too with the condition that you will have to stay put in that state for some time(2 years IIRC) and cannot move to other state before that. but I guess thats a fair thing.
Old 22nd May 2013, 12:10   #653
BHPian

Not sure if it is applicable in here.

Racism across the world.

Mods: Pls remove the content if not applicable

Old 22nd May 2013, 12:16   #654
BHPian

Quote:
Why work visa when you can apply for a PR rightaway in case you are targeting long term.With PR you can and would most probably get state sponsorship and the state would help you to get jobs too with the condition that you will have to stay put in that state for some time(2 years IIRC) and cannot move to other state before that. but I guess thats a fair thing.
Its PR am working on. State sponsorship looks interesting propositions will explore about it. Thanks again.
Old 22nd May 2013, 14:59   #655
BHPian

Quote:

How does one apply for Australian PR?
Old 22nd May 2013, 16:21   #656
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Alter_Ego

I have recently got the AUSTRALIAN PR for me and my family under skilled migration VISA Subclass 175.I am planning to move to OZ on June end (exactly Brisbane as my close relatives are there and too citizens).

How about the job market there now.I am into IT Infrastructure and have 11 years of total IT experience.

Any suggestions to find a job in Brisbane.
Old 22nd May 2013, 16:58   #657
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinFord View Post
Hi Alter_Ego

I have recently got the AUSTRALIAN PR for me and my family under skilled migration VISA Subclass 175.I am planning to move to OZ on June end (exactly Brisbane as my close relatives are there and too citizens).

How about the job market there now.I am into IT Infrastructure and have 11 years of total IT experience.

Do you mind sharing how you got the VISA buddy ?
Old 22nd May 2013, 17:11   #658
BHPian

Quote:
Do you mind sharing how you got the VISA buddy ?
Hi 2500cc

It was a long process and took some years .I have applied on 2008 through an agent who happens to be our family friend.But later on I have made myself as an "authorized recipient" and dealt with OZ IMMIGRATION directly.

It was filed after reviewing my skill set with ACS (Australian Computing Society) for IT professionals. Different body for each skill set and they assess your skills against experience and value to OZ economy.

Then we have to remit the VISA charges and file our application at Adelaide Office(Now Sydney also).Will get the file number and TRN (for online applications) after filing.Track your progress online and when it gets allocated to a case officer you will get a personalized e-mail from CO to provide documents to validate your professional and personal achievements.Once they find everything fool proof they will ask you to appear for medicals (for you and all other applicants)

Once you cleared medicals then anytime you can expect VISA
Old 22nd May 2013, 17:55   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Its PR am working on. State sponsorship looks interesting propositions will explore about it. Thanks again.
You are welcome. If you are trying via Y-axis, they will inform you all about the state sponsorship, as with every PR conversion their reputation rises
They seldom take applications from people who they know would not make it. They want to keep their conversion rates high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjumrani View Post
How does one apply for Australian PR?
Most of my friends went via consultancies like Y-axis but a couple of strong headed friends went and applied on their own via the Oz online application medium. And everyone got through. For this year Oz has brought around IT to be high on their immigration requirement. So almost every IT family is making through it unlike the Canadian PR where IT is no where in their priority list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinFord View Post
Hi Alter_Ego

From what I know of jobs are abundant in the core technical domains(telecom/databases/SAP CRM/embedded) and if you are in management then things won't be that smooth as locals everywhere want to enter the management arena and if you are competing with the locals things don't go smooth as locals would always be preffered and the govt ensures that.

Last edited by Alter_Ego : 22nd May 2013 at 18:00.
Old 22nd May 2013, 18:48   #660
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Is it correct by virtue of this graphic, to understand that Indians are probably the most racist?

Yes, we generally do not like change and unfamiliar things so I guess we are generally not welcoming to strangers in our midst in our communities and neighbourhoods etc.

This I know to be true from personal experience having been at the receiving end some years ago.

However, things are changing slowly with more travel and exposure and higher end apartments and gated communities etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambuhere1 View Post
Not sure if it is applicable in here.

Racism across the world.

Mods: Pls remove the content if not applicable

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks