Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th August 2012, 22:30   #241
Team-BHP Support

Re: Emigrating to a Foreign Land!! Is It Worth It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Right, do you really want me to start off on that one?
It's already started again I guess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritz3645 View Post
I find whole of Europe a bit castist, like a lower level walking in a brahmin home.
Uk is VAT & gone monarchy.
Germany is so Deutschland, but the womens are amazing.
Sorry, a bit too generic comments IMHO. Are these opinions based on long term stays or short visits?

Last edited by vb-saan : 30th August 2012 at 22:33.
Old 30th August 2012, 23:07   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry, a bit too generic comments IMHO. Are these opinions based on long term stays or short visits?
sir pardon me if i am crossing any line.

The road map of immigration started from old world ie europe to new world ie usa, au, nz. Why as the people felt lack of opportunity,social status etc etc.

It is still deeply ingrained in those societys, their customs etc.

New world societies are less rigid and flexible, as they all are from families of/or immigrant.

Indian immigrant are of two types, people who are from india and people of families of immigrant to trinidad, west africa, etc.

Hope it makes sense by going a little in history.

Last edited by Technocrat : 31st August 2012 at 00:33. Reason: fixed quotes
Old 31st August 2012, 00:34   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Selfdrive hi,
I find whole of Europe a bit castist, like a lower level walking in a brahmin home.
Uk is VAT & gone monarchy.
Germany is so Deutschland, but the womens are amazing.

With new world its different ie US.

CANADA is UK backwater and thinks its better than USA. Imagine Pamela anderson, canadian are proud of her.
If a teen girl disappears in canada, she is most likely to be in a USA strip place.

Dont consider much of australia or newzealand, as they are rugged pub fighting farmers.

You can be the most sophisticated but they will be their way.

Usa fabric is different the society i mean.

And then you have people related with Israel, who are the top businessmen or top on the food chain.

Curious question - Where do you live? You make it sound like you have spent a few years in every country mentioned here.
Old 31st August 2012, 00:51   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohit View Post

Curious question - Where do you live? You make it sound like you have spent a few years in every country mentioned here.
I lived on a cruise liner for four years in florida and later two years in toronto.

Presently in india.

Also please ask people from countries i have mentiond here, i am not making things up.

Just stare at a german and they in their mind will be calculating if you really know of that small mustache person.

Best way to start talking with a canadian - hate america anything ie health system,

canadian kid - spiting or green stuff where to get etc

and Americans will ask where is canada, do they drive left or right

au/nz pub brawls seriously,

if any british ask if they can bring a royal elephant from india without paying VAT.

Last edited by ritz3645 : 31st August 2012 at 01:16.
Old 31st August 2012, 01:06   #245
Senior - BHPian

I emigrated to USA 5 years back. Looking at those 5 years, do i feel its worth it. My answer would be a resounding Yes.

Would i like to go back to India and start afresh? Probably no or only if i have a job on hand or enough money or liquid assets to start a business considering i come from a non-business family.

Do i miss India? Yes I do. But its more because of my family and friends rather than the lifestyle.

Did i face a cultural shock when i came to USA? Initially, Yes. But then once i got used to how it works here, it was very comfortable and fun.

And did i face the same when i went to India for 2 months after 3 years? Yes. The place where i stayed had changed a lot in those 3 yrs. Right from quality of road to behavior of children in my society. Actually i thought the importance of culture has gone down at my place and at some places it has replaced western culture. I can give many examples but most of you are aware of the same.

No matter where i stay, i would not stay in a community that has only one nationality (as somebody mentioned would do). It is a very enriching experience if the community has people from all over the world. Similarly in India, it was a great experience to stay in my community that had families from all over India and it was a great experience to interact with people of all ages. The only thing varied was, comfort level was different for different people and its the same here.

But, if i have to mention my interaction with people in other cities, i would say USA wins hands down in that regards as people here are mindful of each others no matter we they go. Enough space is given to everybody to accommodate each one of us. Obviously they expect you do the same and if not, you get sneered at. I didn't encounter this attitude in any of cities i visited in India. Everybody is in so much hurry that they just want to trample on you if you don't let it go. And most are too selfish to think about others like keeping doors open to an elderly or to even person following behind you. In India, I had a door closing in my face 99.9% of time which has never happened in USA.

I guess i should be ready to face another cultural shock when i visit India next as it will be 2+ years since i did so. Even then, i am still excited to go back even though it may not be for 2 months this time. But a month should be enough to explore the culture change.

The above is strictly my opinion. YMMV
Old 31st August 2012, 06:30   #246
BHPian

@ chevelle,

Agree 100% except, for the cultural shock. I never had any cultural shock either here or in India. I enjoyed everyplace I lived. However, I wanted to live in this country since when I could walk. Hopefully, if I live long enough and have the health, I hope to live for a few winter months in India every year, as most of my retired relatives do.

Cheers. Enjoy life, wherever you.
Old 31st August 2012, 06:52   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I lived on a cruise liner for four years in florida and later two years in toronto.

Presently in india.

Also please ask people from countries i have mentiond here, i am not making things up.

Just stare at a german and they in their mind will be calculating if you really know of that small mustache person.

Best way to start talking with a canadian - hate america anything ie health system,

canadian kid - spiting or green stuff where to get etc

and Americans will ask where is canada, do they drive left or right

au/nz pub brawls seriously,

if any british ask if they can bring a royal elephant from india without paying VAT.
Wow,

Why would you even do this. It's like you have a readymade trap for every nationality.
Old 31st August 2012, 09:49   #248
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

If one is born into a family in the "better off" classes in India, one is reasonably ok.

If one is born into poverty in India, one may as well not have been born at all.

As far as living standards go and "civilisation" is concerned the Foreign parts are so much better because they are better developed for one thing and they place a high value on quality of life, for another.

Even the developed parts of S E Asia are better off than us in India.

Even if one lives in a posh apartment complex or layout or gated community here in India, the moment one steps out of the gate, one is back amidst the "real world" as we know it!

For these reasons, it would be nice to emigrate and live somewhere else, away from the squalor, filth and mess that surround us here.

However, if one wants to remain in physical proximity to ones immediate or extended family and friends circle, then one wont be pleased to live far away in foreign parts!

Ultimately it boils down to personal choices and what makes one tick!
Old 31st August 2012, 11:18   #249
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
If one is born into a family in the "better off" classes in India, one is reasonably ok.

If one is born into poverty in India, one may as well not have been born at all.

My maid servants daughter finished her graduation. Her kids are growing up with parents who understand and appreciates the value of education.

Being born poor is not a curse.

Being born with no access to education is.
And thankfully that is changing. The wheels are turning slowly. But they are turning. In my lifetime I am sure, I will see a India that is as AWESOME as AWESOME is.

Old 31st August 2012, 11:19   #250
BANNED

I think there are two things Standard of Living and Quality of Life and we are mixing them up. While the former is certainly better abroad, as for the latter I will reserve my judgement.
Old 31st August 2012, 11:34   #251
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
My maid servants daughter finished her graduation. Her kids are growing up with parents who understand and appreciates the value of education.
What about those people who are born poor and who have no aptitude for education. In developed countries, they don't have to suffer as long as they are hardworking.
Old 31st August 2012, 11:37   #252
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Yes this is lovely. The same applies for the various people who served us while we were growing up and it equally applies to the people who serve us at home even now. All their children whom I knew as kids, are now well educated, some with Medical Degrees, some Engineers, many BComs and a few MBA's even.
The next generation of their families will certainly better themselves with education and knowledge and this is a great thing! Upward social mobility is a thing of the present and in terms of Social History, this upward mobility is a perfectly normal phenomenon across the world, though at different times.

However, for every household like yours, mine and I am sure most people on this forum, there are so many poor out there, who lead such hopeless lives, unsupported by anyone and barely able to scrape a living together!
I made my earlier statement since as per my knowledge at the current moment, India has no Social security or Health care of any quality or indeed any kind of properly administered support system for the under-privileged, jobless and poor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Being born poor is not a curse.

Being born with no access to education is.
And thankfully that is changing. The wheels are turning slowly. But they are turning. In my lifetime I am sure, I will see a India that is as AWESOME as AWESOME is.

Old 31st August 2012, 11:57   #253
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
So based on your limited exposure to a certain class of people who take luxury cruises, you are claiming to be an expert on international demographics and behavior?
Wow!
tsk1979 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2012, 12:03   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfheart View Post
As far as I know, you'll need a job offer and a sponsorship in order to work in Germany. There are no independent skilled visas for Indian professionals. The EU had proposed a "Blue Card" scheme to be implemented, but in the current economic scenario, that's taken a back seat.

You must however be aware of the fact that it's essential to be fluent in the local language in order to land a job. Unless you have very specialized skills which are in short supply there, I would suggest that you plan things very carefully. Being an expensive country, you wouldn't want to deplete your savings when job offers are hard to come by.

Please read reviews and do your homework before engaging any immigration agency.
1. Blue card has been implemented already.(Since July 2012) see: http://www.bluecard-eu.de/eu-blue-card-germany/

2. Not necessary! I personally have seen people getting jobs without a word being known to them in the local language. Debetable, depends on the employer and the company.

3. Expensive country? You mean Denmark or Germany?

4. 100% I agree with it, you hit the nail on its head. As I had mentioned in my earlier post, to my knowledge there are no I repeat NO agents/agencies who do job counselling or get jobs in Germany.
Old 31st August 2012, 12:07   #255
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ My cousin's husband was with the merchant navy for his entire working life starting with when he was a teenager. He has visited 160 or so countries, speaks almost every major world language with at least decent proficiency and is a US citizen for the past 20 years or so. I have never heard him making generalised comments like the ones ritz here is making. Frankly they are bordering on racist talk.

Every country, perhaps every city, has a defining culture and "fitting in" is the prerogative of the immigrant. These days it is fashionable to cling on to one's beliefs however misguided and call oneself a better man than those among whom one lives. I don't think that's a great way to live at all.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks