Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
SKY and his unwanted record!

Attachment 2432052

Source- Cricbuzz
Shunya Kumar Yadav

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvatron View Post
Getting bit nostalgic while watching this match. We have classic 270ish score in first innings. Now team batting second working hard to stay in touch with required rate. There is a period in match where no boundaries are scored, partnership slowly starts to build and then there is a wicket. These kind of matches were very common during 2000's. It's definitely better than targets of 350's getting chased down easily. Neither high scoring or low scoring, perfectly balanced match
All we need is a repeat of Kumble & Srinath partnership and it will be a cherry on the cake.

Dravid and Rohit sharma is probably the worst combo ever we had!
AtheK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 22:03   #16352
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
True, These were the kind of games that earned MSD the reputation of being the best finisher.
True. He made it look so easy and most of us including me didn't realise the value of that strategy. Although this match is more similar to the late 90's/early 2000's were India would reach the final or it is the series decider, would be batting second and have good start, then would slowly would fall apart.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Shunya Kumar Yadav
All we need is a repeat of Kumble & Srinath partnership and it will be a cherry on the cake.
Watching shami bat reminds me of srinath. Not that they were similar in hitting the ball, it is just that vibe while shami is batting.You just never know what's going to happen next
Old 22nd March 2023, 22:54   #16353
Senior - BHPian

Rohit and Dravid have royally screwed this team.

I want Shastri and Kohli combo back. Atleast we used to Boss bilaterals easily.

This team is basically Kohli and Inshallah in chases.

I am pissed
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-71b210107c22466196b1788aa79eedb0.png  

harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2023, 23:36   #16354
AZT
BHPian

We definitely need a new coach. I like Dravid but he isn't up for the job. Shastri may have been into drinking and partying but he got the job done.

I wouldn't write off Surya just yet. He's having a slump in form and the bad press and memes get you in a negative spiral. I'm sure our team has a Sport Psychologist who's working with him to get his mojo back.
AZT is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 01:01   #16355
BHPian

Sucks to be Surya right now. Gets two peaches from Starc and then gets bowled by a straight Agar delivery while playing for the turn.Three consecutive golden ducks. Let's hope this is rock bottom for him and he only goes upwards from here.

Poor Axar. Everytime he gets a promotion, Kohli runs him out! IIRC, this happened twice before: Asia Cup 2022 & T20 world cup game, both against Pakistan.

We've already been through this whole "captain + coach useless" bit when Kohli/Shastri were dismissed. Let's just face the truth: Our batting is weak. It has been weak across formats for a while. We've been blown away on a slightly seamer friendly pitches in Mumbai and Vizag and we were caught in a web spun by Zampa & Agar in Chennai today.

Let's just temper our expectations from the WTC final and the World Cup. At least it will cause lesser heartburn.
Shumi_21 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 01:28   #16356
BHPian

Australian tail scored 60+ whereas our tail scored 23 runs.

If we would have got the last 4 wickets conceding half the runs they scored, it would have been a different result.

My blood boils while watching the tail getting run out. They literally don’t even try to dive and run while the bat is in the air. Is it so difficult for them to even follow the basics?
Old 23rd March 2023, 01:33   #16357
Team-BHP Support

The World Cup is not coming home guys, lets accept this fact.

Our top order is making enough runs only to retain their places in the 11. We don't know who will bat in the middle overs. We have a makeshift wicketkeeper who is an enigma with the bat in hand and in his mind. We do not have death bowling. Strike bowler is likely to miss the WC. The coach has no clue on what to do.

Funnily, the only thing going right for us is that we have enough all rounders for the conditions. Hardik, Axar, Jadeja, Washington. What was a traditional weakness has become our strength.
Eddy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 07:53   #16358
Senior - BHPian

I was surprised like how SKY was eager to go with all his gear even before Kohli was dismissed. There were 3-4 easy boundaries for the Aussies just for not having a third man, Alex Carey and Aussie tailenders made use of field position lapses. Our all rounders are like no profit no loss type, concede more and score more or vice versa!
deehunk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 13:47   #16359
BHPian

The problem with this team, while some blame is certainly attributable to Cap & Coach, looks more deep, especially in batting. Our top order has been on a slow decline for the last 4 to 5 years. It was our bowling and lower order which have helped us win whatever we did in these years. The fact that a few top teams had similar problems with their top orders helped us cover our own shortcomings.

We need batsman who have some technique and ability to apply that technique. The problem isn't T20 or IPL per se, the problem is selectors ignoring domestic performances and picking the latest T20 sensation for all formats. Unless we change that there isn't much one can do.
vamsi.kona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 13:47   #16360
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Well deserved series win for the Aussies. Unfortunately this series loss will be forgotten with the IPL starting in a weeks time! It was an extremely poor strategy to have Jadeja bat as low as no.8 when its an open secret that he isn't good at batting with the tail! It was the correct move to give Axar a promotion to take on Zampa-Agar but I would personally have had Jadeja at no.4 yesterday since he's the more established batsman than Axar. Our batsman are no longer good at playing the spinners & as seen yesterday they struggled to rotate the strike in the middle overs. This is going to be a huge negative in the WC later this year! Virat isn't the same player which he was pre-pandemic when he used to impose himself on the opposition but he's still decent. With Rohit Sharma, the big scores have deserted him & he will give you the occasional brisk start but when you bat in the top 3 you ideally need big hundreds once set. Not really sure who's going to be that guy since Gill is the new kid on the block & how Iyer turns up after back surgery can't be predicted.

I do not know how much of an influence BCCI would have on the pitches for the WC, but I hope the curators prepare 260-280 kinda pitches as that suits India rather than 350 !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
We have a makeshift wicketkeeper who is an enigma with the bat in hand and in his mind.
Lets cut him some slack. ODI is the only format which KL excels in at the moment & he has a decent average at no.5! Sure he doesn't deserve a place in the T20s nor in Tests but most likely he'll bat in the middle order in the WTC Final.

Quote:
We do not have death bowling.
We never really had good death bowling barring Bumrah! This series should have been ideal to test out Umran Malik against a quality opposition but instead the Team Management chose batting depth. And anyways Umran only bowls in the middle overs mostly.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 16:43   #16361
Senior - BHPian

With all the talk about poor batting, let's not forget we have a batting coach as well! While it was fun to see Shami hit a 6 and a 4, the whole match was agony after the initial wickets fell.

Oh well, IPL is almost here...
Old 23rd March 2023, 18:16   #16362
BHPian

It was not a humiliating defeat. Dont understand T20 and 50 year difference for SKY. He could play it like T20 ? Today some teams play test cricket like 50 overs and win matches. IPL should be played on competitive pitches.

I think someone pulled a fast one on the Indian team by preparing such pitches for ODIs. Poor batsmen were left wanting.

Last edited by PreludeSH : 23rd March 2023 at 18:21.
Old 23rd March 2023, 20:47   #16363
Senior - BHPian

Let me do some ranting.

BCCI is the richest board in World cricket controlling around 70-80% of ICC revenues. NZ cricket board is such a small fish in comparison that they can't even host more than 2 test match series cos of the losses they will incur.

However did anyone watch the recent NZ matches in NZ?

Beautiful stadiums, lovely crowd with nice sitting arrangements, food and drinks and all amenities a fan can ask for. You really wish to be a spectator there. Same goes for England and Aussie grounds mostly.

And what do we fans get here. No systematic tickets selling for first. No amenities. Some places you don't even get a water bottle and if you get prices are exorbitantly high. No shelter from the scorching heat under the sun. No proper parking spaces for your vehicles when you come to the stadium. I haven't watched a cricket match in stadium in Years cos of all the nonsense you have to go through being a cricket fan. Most stadiums in India have these issues.

Anyways coming back to cricket. Let's be realistic. We ain't winning WTC final and forget the WC final with these selectors, coach and Captain. It will be a complete miracle if we do. I remember Hardik sometime back saying India can now field 3 teams with the amount of talent we have. And still we can't even field one good winning team in each format. So, like I said let's enjoy IPL. Cos system is broken and we fans can't do a thing to repair it and BCCI simply doesn't care except for counting the money they make.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd March 2023, 21:48   #16364
Senior - BHPian

Come on! I don't know why Delhi people complain when they have nice Pan Bahar stadium.
That stadium is difficult to watch it even on TV.

Last edited by Latheesh : 23rd March 2023 at 22:01.
Latheesh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th March 2023, 18:42   #16365
BHPian

Yesterday South Africa managed to chase down a record score to defeat West Indies and take the series to the decider in a 3-match T20I series after having lost the opening match by 3 wickets.

WI- 258/5 in 20 overs
RSA- 259/4 in 18.5 overs

----------------------------------------------------------

In Sharjah, Afganistan handed Pakistan back to back defeats to lead the 3-match T20I series 2-0 and clinch their first ever series victory against the neighbours.
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed