Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th January 2022, 20:21   #14851
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Rahane will be retained or not, we've to wait and see.
Even if he's dropped, it's still not sure Vihari will be in playing 11 in the next test, because Rohit will be back, probably Gill would be back, then there is Shreyas.
So, Vihari will be put back on the waiting list , I pity him.
Old 13th January 2022, 20:38   #14852
Senior - BHPian

And all this while, South Africa is doing well to finish this match before tea tomorrow.

I don't think we stand a chance to delay it further. Forget win it.
I hope the team management realises the folly of sticking with a sub optimal 11 for some strange unfathomable reasons!
Old 13th January 2022, 22:08   #14853
Senior - BHPian

Dean Elgar gone. I hope Indian bowlers capitalise on that tomorrow.

Any noticed RSA end the day requiring exactly 111 runs to win?
Old 13th January 2022, 23:00   #14854
Senior - BHPian

With 8 wickets in hand and with the way they are batting, they will win the match most probably.
Old 13th January 2022, 23:18   #14855
BHPian

I didn’t watch the last hour of play today (damn meetings), but reading the reports, it sounds like the Indian team - and specifically Kohli, Ashwin and KL lost the plot completely. They should be reprimanded for their childish actions after the DRS call didn’t go their way.

I still think Indian batsmen lost the plot completely in the second innings in both the second and the third test.

110 runs to defend - I don’t think the bowlers can defend this, not unless there is something more from the pitch and the SA batters play poor shots and the Indian bowlers bowl out of their skin and a bit of luck goes their way and they remain calm and focused on the task at hand.
Old 14th January 2022, 00:17   #14856
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post
About the match, well, all eyes on Pant now who has understandably upped the ante.
Well, Pant has turned from villain to hero in just a couple of pages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
Rahane got the best ball of the innings from Rabada.
I hear about batman getting the ball of the game. I think any other batman would have played that delivery safely or left it without much ado.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
Shame on You Dravid too!!! so spineless, such a stupid team selection,
Why blame the new guy . If they are bad why select them in the team. They are such big names if they are in the team, they will make it to the playing 11.
I think Rahane is being rewarded by Kohli for holding the captain's place in the latter's absence. (Lord Rama & Bharath)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post
To Kohli's credit, he backed the likes of Rahul in England, Siraj in the last many series -
Add Hardik Pandya, who got BCCI A contract and the only reason is he is Kohli's buddy. He played Test cricket just with his batting skills. BTW, the list of folks who were promising but not in Kohli's good books is long.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
At one point, Pujara was dropped by the team of Shastri and Kohli for slow batting,
Wasn't that silly, considering the test matches are getting over in 3 or 5 days? In fact, that incident rattled Pujara and he was never the same again. Anyway that was when Kohli called the shots in BCCI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Miss jumping jack Kohli who would have kept the moral high with his antics.
Kohli's focus was brilliant during batting. After bad 2020 & 2021, 2022 might be augur well for him. Hoping his antics win the current test & series
Quote:
K L Rahul looks confused and lost
Seeing KL Rahul captaining Kings' 11 Punjab, doesn't see him cut out for captaincy yet. But not sure when he heard he will be captain for 2nd test. He might not have been prepared.
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 01:11   #14857
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I have a fear if India wins this game, Rahane will be back in squad for next series. He has always been lucky.
You know what? I'll take that. Will be very happy with this trade-off
Old 14th January 2022, 08:37   #14858
Senior - BHPian

+ 1,
I’ll Join Eddy’s queue.

For today, we have at best about 30 overs yo get 8 wickets.

As a team, we have a habit of producing heroes. This time, it’s Keegan Peterson. He’s been a thorn.

If we manage 2 wickets in the first 10 overs, I will still bet on India.

In case SA lose by 15-20 runs (I’m an eternal optimist) they will be ruling on the ‘extras’ they gifted us.
Old 14th January 2022, 11:15   #14859
Senior - BHPian

Didn't watch the SA innings and only read online about whatever transpired.

Usually I support Kohli and his antics but here I feel he is wrong. If he and Ashwin were miffed with DRS go and take it with the umpires and match referee. Their comments were absolutely uncalled for especially when Hawkeye is an independent product and nothing to do with the broadcaster. SA have been a gracious host and the team has played in such good spirit all series. I hope match referee do reprimand these guys although BCCI clout and good relations with SA board may save them.

Also, KL Rahul should first start performing in crucial must win games rather than open his mouth against a whole country. If he is trying to imitate Kohli just cos he is Vice Captain then he is gonna fall flat very soon. Kohli and Ashwin atleast have numerous match winning contributions in a decade and are outspoken personality while KL has nothing to boost.

Match is in 70-30 SA favor but I am very disappointed by the behaviour of Indian team this time.

Last edited by harry10 : 14th January 2022 at 11:17.
harry10 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 11:17   #14860
Senior - BHPian

While I understand that the players were aggrieved, the immediate reactions yesterday were a bit like a kid throwing a tantrum. Reminds me of the boorish behaviour of Australia in the 2008 Sydney test, not at all good to watch.

Unfortunately it does look like that decision would impact the match and series result.
I hope that India use that extra motivation to run through the SA side.

Though the matches would be lost defending a target, they just have their poor batting efforts to blame for being unable to bat the opposition out of the game. Easier said than done considering the pitches and quality of bowling. Selection shenanigans always cost us dear

Last edited by selfdrive : 14th January 2022 at 11:18.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 11:33   #14861

Kohli is such a crybaby! I am also not impressed with KL Rahul being close to captaincy with him being made the vice captain. The guy comes from the same school of abuse as Kohli, I feel.
Gaurav_7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2022, 13:33   #14862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Well, Pant has turned from villain to hero in just a couple of pages.
Yes, because he let the whole team down couple of pages back and probably that might have cost us that match, but here he put his ego/attitude aside and batted for the team
His batting has been a roller-coster ride when it comes to Tests, and so are the opinions about him.
It's a different story that the most of the team let him down this time.

As mentioned earlier, it looks like the 'talk' Dravid mentioned seems to be working. I for one liked what I saw yesterday, hope he continues to bat like that in tests here after, for the sake of the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Usually I support Kohli and his antics but here I feel he is wrong. If he and Ashwin were miffed with DRS go and take it with the umpires and match referee. Their comments were absolutely uncalled for especially when Hawkeye is an independent product and nothing to do with the broadcaster. SA have been a gracious host and the team has played in such good spirit all series. I hope match referee do reprimand these guys although BCCI clout and good relations with SA board may save them.

I certainly hope the referee takes charge and reprimand players involved in the childish antics, irrespective of their status or the board's influence....it's good for cricket.

Last edited by redCherry : 14th January 2022 at 13:35.
Old 14th January 2022, 14:15   #14863
BHPian

While everyone hates on Rahane, he is not even the worst performing Indian batter in this series. Mayank and Pujara fall even below Rahane's dismal performance.

Regardless of what happens today, Indian team is in this position because of the lack of performances from Rahane and Pujara. The highest averaging Indian batter in this series (Vihari) could play just 1 match because thse guys won't get dropped.

The batting performance continuously kept getting worse with each game.

Highest runs scored in the 1st test (327 & 197)
Lower totals in 2nd test (202 & 266)
Worst performance in the 3rd one (223 & 198)

Weren't we supposed to be better acclamatized as the tour went further?

I really really hope the bowling can pull them out of this hole. But that's just me being high on hopium rather than anything else.
Old 14th January 2022, 14:27   #14864
BHPian

Mostly we're losing this series, despite very good bowling attack.
Reasons -
1. Poor batting as we all know
2. Jansen - 19 wickets at 3 wickets every innings, brilliant.
He used his height to good effect to turn things around when India seemed to be in control at end of day 2
Old 14th January 2022, 15:02   #14865
Senior - BHPian

I did not see the antics. On one of the whatsapp group I read about it and thought it is his normal antics which we are used to expect now.

But when I saw the highlights today, I was taken aback. This is not sledging. This is accusing. I was shocked at what KL Rahul and Ashwin said as well. Unless there is a back story to this, I am extremely disappointed by the behavior.

Why to vent out the frustration of your poor performance on the field this way like spoilt brats?
vibbs is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks