Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2021, 19:07   #14101
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

What about TOI bashing now, where there is smoke there is fire.

It's a good move by Kohli, not just captaincy, current T20 teams needs an overhaul, we have way too many accumulators. I don't see KL as a regular too, better to give captaincy to pant, though out of respect Rohit will lead team till next WC. In my ideal T20 team, I really don't find a place for kohli as a batsman as well even more so with his current form. We need hitters from ball one, that is how England and WI have dobe so well.
Old 16th September 2021, 19:12   #14102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
What about TOI bashing now, where there is smoke there is fire.

It's a good move by Kohli, not just captaincy, current T20 teams needs an overhaul, we have way too many accumulators. I don't see KL as a regular too, better to give captaincy to pant, though out of respect Rohit will lead team till next WC. In my ideal T20 team, I really don't find a place for kohli as a batsman as well even more so with his current form. We need hitters from ball one, that is how England and WI have dobe so well.
They said he will leave white ball Captaincy and he is still ODI captain so technically they were wrong

T20 team is alright. KL in International T20 is a different player with a strike rate of 140+ and with inclusion of SKY and Pant and Hardik as finishers I believe we will do well. I still don't see Kohli as an opener and ideally KL and Rohit should open with Kohli or Sky at 3.
Old 16th September 2021, 19:56   #14103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtheK View Post
In my ideal T20 team, I really don't find a place for kohli as a batsman as well even more so with his current form. We need hitters from ball one, that is how England and WI have dobe so well.
Even though Kohli is experiencing a slump in form in Tests, he has been fantastic in T20Is in the recent past. He averages ~65 during the past 2 years.
Coming to the big hitter part, I agree that it has worked very well for WI and England. But it's not like India have been anything less than excellent with their approach.. With Jadeja in the form of his life, Pant and one out of Shardul and Pandya, I believe we are stacked well enough in the Power department as well.
Old 16th September 2021, 19:56   #14104
Senior - BHPian

In his last chance as T20 Captain, let's hope that Kohli brings the ICC T20 World Cup home.

Kohli official statement

The Cricket Thread-20210916_195437.jpg

Link

Last edited by Venkatesh : 16th September 2021 at 19:58.
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 20:20   #14105
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Smart move by Virat to give up now rather than wait for the outcome of the T20 WC ! But I see no sense in having 2 white ball captains! Rohit Sharma is already 34, hope better sense prevails & BCCI hands over ODI captaincy to Rohit as well.
Old 16th September 2021, 21:15   #14106
Team-BHP Support

The conspiracy thoerists are attributing this loss of captaincy to Virat's hard stand against playing the 5th test.
Old 16th September 2021, 23:05   #14107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karanddd View Post
Because of how conditions are in England, the four fast bowlers are supposed to take 20 wickets, anyone else who chips in is a bonus, not essential. The Indian team management trusts the fast bowling attack to do the job, which is precisely why, in seam friendly conditions, Ashwin will not make the 11. Thing is, from the results so far, looks like the management is right, and the fast bowling quartet is more than up to the task.
If there is one spot in the team for a spinner, shouldn't it go to the best spinner in the team? Or to someone who is a better bat or better at fielding? Case in point being the 3rd test in the last series, where fast bowlers didn't take the wickets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
In his last chance as T20 Captain, let's hope that Kohli brings the ICC T20 World Cup home.
Good move by BCCI. Rohit has a great T20 record and ideal candidate for T20s after Dhoni. But this move could be late for T20I WC this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
But I see no sense in having 2 white ball captains! Rohit Sharma is already 34, hope better sense prevails & BCCI hands over ODI captaincy to Rohit as well.
I think Kohli must continue as ODI captain. He comes to his elements in ODIs. The pace of the ODI game suits him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
So who is our next long term skipper? Iyer, Gill, Pant, Bumrah? There are no clear answers.
Kohli as a captain has been average in Tests. He has never won a test series in SENA in the last 6 years. In fact, he took the same team that won the test series in Australia (under Rahane) and lost both tests, series against New Zealand before COVID lockdown. He, as a captain has been underperforming with players with great batting, bowling & fielding skills available for selection in the country. I think he is trying to earn players' support by giving long ropes to underperformers. This is affecting India's chances in Tests. Kohli can't be captain for the only reason that there is no alternative to the post.
Old 17th September 2021, 01:08   #14108
Distinguished - BHPian

On another note, an absolute legend Micheal Holding leaves the commentator’s box after such a fruitful innings. Just like he used to bowl, he minced no words while commentating and world cricket would certainly miss his booming West Indian accent going forward. The true genuine league of commentators are slowly vanishing and the true cricket affectionados can only be sad about that.
ABHI_1512 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 14:55   #14109
BHPian

https://www.google.com/amp/s/indiane...-7513537/lite/

Does the Indian express pass the litmus test of credible journalism?

Quote:
interesting how Virat Kohli has blamed work-load management as the reason to step down from T20 captaincy. It’s not surprising that he didn’t make any harsh self-assessment on his captaincy but it has thrown up a few questions. Post-pandemic break since December 2020, India has played just 8 T20s. Besides, it is a no-brainer that the most intense T20 captaincy job isn’t the international games but the IPL. So will Kohli step down as the RCB captain? By still playing all the three formats, and resigning from the least-played format, the work-load question is still not resolved

Last edited by Eddy : 17th September 2021 at 15:46. Reason: Fixed quotes
Old 17th September 2021, 15:47   #14110
Team-BHP Support

New Zealand calls off the tour of Pakistan. Security threats. The team is set to return home.

I am not surprised, given the Afghanistan situation. The series was not important, anyway.
Old 17th September 2021, 16:20   #14111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post

Kohli as a captain has been average in Tests. He has never won a test series in SENA in the last 6 years. In fact, he took the same team that won the test series in Australia (under Rahane) and lost both tests, series against New Zealand before COVID lockdown. He, as a captain has been underperforming with players with great batting, bowling & fielding skills available for selection in the country. I think he is trying to earn players' support by giving long ropes to underperformers. This is affecting India's chances in Tests. Kohli can't be captain for the only reason that there is no alternative to the post.
What are you talking about.
Kohli won the Australia series in 2018. And it wasn't the same team which Rahane lead in NZ as all players were going in and out during Australia series due to injuries. And NZ series loss was inevitable, they are like India at home, no one except Aussies win in NZ due to the pitches.

And what's affecting India's chances in tests? They qualified for WTC final. They were no.1 for 5 consecutive years. They are still leading the WTC table for this cycle. You really need to check out how India has done under Kohli in tests with some stats. If not for last test cancellation India would have won the series in England after 15 years. They still can if ICC adjudicate it as cancellation rather than forfeit. His record even in white ball cricket is very good. Only blip is not winning any ICC trophy.
harry10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th September 2021, 16:43   #14112
Senior - BHPian

With all the drama that seems to be unfolding, would it not have been better for him to announce this decision after the tournament?
Old 17th September 2021, 17:53   #14113
BHPian

^^^that would have been the right thing to do, given that the focus should have been on preparing for the cup. Possibly his hand was forced or he didn't want to be forced out in the event india don't win.
Old 17th September 2021, 19:31   #14114
BHPian

I think its a good move by Kohli to step down. I dont care what TOI or anyone else says. He should have also stepped down as a captain from limited over formats completely and focus on his batting. We need him far more as the bastman he was.

I like that he takes his own calls when he is the skipper. He puts money where his mouth is. Some of his calls may not work out but the current Indian team and the head on, no nonsense attitude of players can be partially attributed to him.
pratyush6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2021, 14:12   #14115
Senior - BHPian

I had high hopes from Ganguly as he was Captain himself and knows the challenges in Indian cricket. But, he has proven to be a bigger disappointment than the nepotism guy. Whatever the rift is between Kohli and BCCI should have remained indoors and all statements should have been made after World cup. This is very bad for team morale.

Now, there are talks of Kohli not wanting Rohit as Vice Captain. Kumble being asked to Coach after Shastri is gone knowing full well he and Kohli doesn't go along and Kohli is still ODI and test captain. Moreover what has Kumble achieved as a Coach with Punjab? All he has done is to make a stroke maker KL Rahul bat as an accumulator. Doesn't make any sense to go back to Kumble now when so many better coaches like Hessen, Moody, Mahela etc can be tried. BCCI should either sack Kohli as Captain in all formats or not bring Kumble back.

Last edited by harry10 : 18th September 2021 at 14:13.
harry10 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks