Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th September 2021, 19:50   #14086
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
BCCI have come up with an official statement rubbishing the rumour of Virat Kohli wanting to step down as captain for Limited Overs cricket. He will be the captain for all formats.
This is absolutely bizarre, this was front page news at the ToI where they quoted "BCCI sources" without naming anybody ofcourse. I doubt leading dailies will carry anything of this magnitude without the source being credible. The timing and the manner was ofcourse strange; why would kohli shoot himself in the foot by announcing this with the tournament starting in less than a month. Anybody with any conviction in his ability would first get the job done (or fail) before handing the reins over.

Unless of course something else is cooking behind the scenes. Regardless, none of this is fair to Rohit who has stamped his own authority in the lineup and has done enough to deserve a go at the top. In the end, it's the team that is paramount and anybody who has earned his spurs deserves to have a go.

Last edited by hothatchaway : 13th September 2021 at 19:52.
hothatchaway is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 22:27   #14087
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
BCCI have come up with an official statement rubbishing the rumour of Virat Kohli wanting to step down as captain for Limited Overs cricket. He will be the captain for all formats.
Luckily I had used the operative word in my message - a big if

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothatchaway View Post
This is absolutely bizarre, this was front page news at the ToI where they quoted "BCCI sources" without naming anybody ofcourse.
ToI is proving they're just a tabloid. Just after India's loss to New Zealand in the WTC final, they ran a story again quoting "BCCI Sources" that the team will drop Pujara and Rahane in all the tests against England and that they're considering Surya and Vihari to replace them we know how that went in reality!

Needless to say there are now memes circulating that are comparing the "one day CM" and "one day captain", crazy media will do anything for sensational headlines and news!

Last edited by NPV : 13th September 2021 at 22:36.
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 08:12   #14088
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Lu

ToI is proving they're just a tabloid. Just after

Needless to say there are now memes circulating that are comparing the "one day CM" and "one day captain", crazy media will do anything for sensational headlines and news!
The article was carried not only by ToI but also by several other dailies like NDTV, TV18 etc
Old 14th September 2021, 13:24   #14089
BHPian

The Manchester test is probably the first ever match in the history of the game, to be called off because the coach and the physio of one of the teams were sick .

Virat as test captain while Rohit in the ODIs and T20s!. That is the stuff dreams are made of . One can only hope that this is not a rumour.
Nalin1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th September 2021, 13:42   #14090
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The article was carried not only by ToI but also by several other dailies like NDTV, TV18 etc
TOI is rubbish. Most of their reporting is from unknown sources and often incorrect.

I don't see Virat stepping down from white ball Captaincy. His struggle with bat is in tests off late, in white ball he is still doing extremely well so there is no need to concentrate more and leave the Captaincy. Plus the guy is a fighter with never say die attitude. Only way he will leave Captaincy is if India fails badly at World cup and selectors choose to do so.
Old 14th September 2021, 13:44   #14091
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalin1 View Post

Virat as test captain while Rohit in the ODIs and T20s!. That is the stuff dreams are made of . One can only hope that this is not a rumour.
I think the BCCI have come out and rubbished the reports published by various agencies. So this isn’t happening till the end of the World Cup for sure.
Old 15th September 2021, 11:55   #14092
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
TOI is rubbish. Most of their reporting is from unknown sources and often incorrect.

I don't see Virat stepping down from white ball Captaincy. His struggle with bat is in tests off late, in white ball he is still doing extremely well so there is no need to concentrate more and leave the Captaincy. Plus the guy is a fighter with never say die attitude. Only way he will leave Captaincy is if India fails badly at World cup and selectors choose to do so.
ToI is no paragon of authentic journalism, but then again, the BCCI is no virgin angel either. It has an opaque style of mechanism and is well known for its Machiavellian tactics. This article was carried by multiple dailies and it isn't beyond the BCCI to 'leak' information one day and deny it the day after.

Moreover, despite his success, Kohli as a captain is still without silverware. If we consider him to be a cricketing great, this fact cannot be glossed over. I am a big admirer of him as a batsman and the attitude (as a batsman) that he brings to the crease, but VK as a captain (and by that I mean a tactician) is still very much a work in progress. Given his singlemindedness, he must be improving, but if every other athlete is judged by their last performance, VK as a captain cannot be an exception to that rule. He is yet to win even in the IPL while Rohit has already bagged several, all things remaining equal, you cannot ignore that while making an objective assessment

Indian cricket and RCB fans are going to be elated if he manages to bag the IPL and the T20 WC. But if that does not happen, the selectors must be fair to Rohit. Now given the power equations in Indian cricket whether that happens or not is a different story.
hothatchaway is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th September 2021, 12:09   #14093
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ToI is no paragon of authentic journalism, but then again, the BCCI is no virgin angel either. It has an opaque style of mechanism and is well known for its Machiavellian tactics. This article was carried by multiple dailies and it isn't beyond the BCCI to 'leak' information one day and deny it the day after.

Indian cricket and RCB fans are going to be elated if he manages to bag the IPL and the T20 WC. But if that does not happen, the selectors must be fair to Rohit. Now given the power equations in Indian cricket whether that happens or not is a different story.
I am not in favour of Rohit being made the Captain now. Yes, he has won IPL trophies and be may do good with Indian team too but he doesn't have the required time to build his team. Kohli won't step down as ODI captain till 2023. We need someone younger like Dhoni was made Captain at a young age so he had time to reap it's benefits. Rohit may hardly play for 3-4 years more considering his age factor. If we want a change in Captaincy we must groom someone like a Iyer, Pant, KL, SKY etc who can atleast be captain for 7-10 years.

If Kohli indeed steps down after World cup then there is no option currently than Rohit to be Captain. If Kohli continues then selectors should start grooming a younger guy.
Old 15th September 2021, 12:25   #14094
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
If we want a change in Captaincy we must groom someone like a Iyer, Pant, KL, SKY etc who can atleast be captain for 7-10 years.
Surya Kumar Yadav is already 31 years old, just one year younger than Kohli. There is no way he is becoming an Indian captain in the current scenario. At best, he may play international cricket for 2-3 years and then taper off.

Pant, Gill , Iyer, KL are all possible candidates. I will include Bumrah also on the list. I know fast bowlers don't really become captains, but among the ones in the current team, I feel, he has the best cricketing brain.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 15th September 2021 at 12:26.
Old 15th September 2021, 12:58   #14095
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post

Pant, Gill , Iyer, KL are all possible candidates. I will include Bumrah also on the list. I know fast bowlers don't really become captains, but among the ones in the current team, I feel, he has the best cricketing brain.
But Bumrah does not play all the games. Bowlers get more rest time than others and we have a rotation policy.

It would be KL or Pant most likely.
Old 15th September 2021, 15:14   #14096
BHPian

The thought that a captain needs to be blooded early, so that he can cast the team in his own mould, implies a lengthy gestation period before producing results. Kohli has been captain for 7 years now, if he "decides" to continue until 2023, and God forbid, the cupboard is still bare and we start grooming another youngster for the job, is an otherwise brilliant team to stay without silverware for a decade? Of course, we can start grooming a Rahul pant etc in the meanwhile, but let's face it, indian leadership and succession planning does not usually go well So the new captain will have to learn on the job.

It's true that Rohit will not have the luxary of easing into his role and results will be demanded instantaneously, but that is going to be his challenge. As already mentioned, he may not have a lengthy stint at the job given his age.

But to deny a 5 time IPL winner his shot altogether is harsh.
Old 16th September 2021, 18:02   #14097
Distinguished - BHPian

Word is doing the rounds- Virat has left Indian captaincy.

Edit: T20 captaincy, that is.

Last edited by saket77 : 16th September 2021 at 18:10.
Old 16th September 2021, 18:04   #14098
Senior - BHPian

https://twitter.com/ESPNcricinfo/sta...451972097?s=20

Seems to be really happening - Kohli stepping down as T20I captain after the WC

Question is: did he jump or was he pushed?
Old 16th September 2021, 18:34   #14099
BHPian

Barring IPL, Kohli's captaincy record is impressive and one of the best in all forms of cricket.

Kohli's Captaincy Record

Overall-

Test Captaincy Record

ODI Captaincy Record

T20I Captaincy Record

IPL Captaincy Record

Last edited by Emvi : 16th September 2021 at 19:02. Reason: URL link updated
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2021, 19:01   #14100
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sridhu View Post
https://twitter.com/ESPNcricinfo/sta...451972097?s=20

Seems to be really happening - Kohli stepping down as T20I captain after the WC

Question is: did he jump or was he pushed?
No one pushed him.

He has made the right decision to manage his workload. We often forget how stressful it is to be Indian Captain with 24/7 scrutiny by everyone.

Now, the golden question. Who will be the T20 captain after world cup? Rohit being the vice captain is the front runner and he can Captain for couple of years. If selectors want long term then KL/Iyer/Pant are 3 choices. Reading Kohli's statement I believe Rohit will be the Captain. I also hope Kohli end his T20 Captaincy by winning the World Cup.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks