Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd February 2012, 11:58   #6586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motortechie View Post
Thats one way to console ourselves saying that other teams are not doing away from home England are bad in the subcontinent but they have won test series in Aus/SA something that the Indian cricket team has not been able to achieve ever . England have whitewashed India(then world no.1).We were not able to whitewash even the lowly ranked West Indies at home.So compared to our team England are miles ahead.
India played excellent cricket when they toured Australia,England and South Africa prior to this 8 match debacle.

Prior to England 4-0 whitewash, India scored 1-1 and 1-0 on their previous outings in England.
Prior to Australia 4-0 whitewash, India scored 1-1 and 1-2 on their previous outings in Australia. (Mind you India were actually the better team irrespective of the result and ofcourse India was the only team that could challenge Australia during their supremacy in Australia.)
India scored 1-2 and 1-1 last they toured SouthAfrica.

Apart from that India won series in NewZealand and Windes.

Isn't it an excellent track record ?
Just that the recent two series was absolute debacle.

England?
When did they last win a series in India and Srilanka?
They won a series in Australia after some 20-25 years that too after Australia's slide.

SouthAfrica's performance has been inconsistent as well.

I am sure there is very little to separate in between England,South Africa and India in terms on away performance in last 10 years
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:16   #6587
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
What is most disappointing is not that we lost; it is the manner in which we did.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naturalist View Post
We are Ok with team losing, Its just a sport but its disheartening to see the way we lost.

Very true. Winning and losing is part of the game. In all the 8 matches, there was not a semblance of a fight except when dravid was going good against England. All our batters were performing like zombies. I seriously think there is a big rift in the team, it is showing on their faces and their actions. Whatever it is, they have to sort it out and put up a better performance in the ODIs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
I agree that seniors need to be rested; but who's there to replace them?!
There are plenty of good batsman in the domestic scene who could walk into the team quite easily. Saxena, Badrinath, Mukund, at least these guys will put up a fight and not surrender meekly. Badri is one guy who has been totally misused for ODIs and IPL. He is a classical test cricketer.

Also batsmen for a series should be picked purely on his current form and not what he did 2 seasons ago. See Ed Cowan, he was picked purely because he had a couple of good innings in the practice matches.
Old 2nd February 2012, 12:31   #6588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
India played excellent cricket when they toured Australia,England and South Africa prior to this 8 match debacle.

Prior to England 4-0 whitewash, India scored 1-1 and 1-0 on their previous outings in England.
Prior to Australia 4-0 whitewash, India scored 1-1 and 1-2 on their previous outings in Australia. (Mind you India were actually the better team irrespective of the result and ofcourse India was the only team that could challenge Australia during their supremacy in Australia.)
India scored 1-2 and 1-1 last they toured SouthAfrica.

Apart from that India won series in NewZealand and Windes.

Isn't it an excellent track record ?
Just that the recent two series was absolute debacle.

England?
They won a series in Australia after some 20-25 years that too after Australia's slide.

SouthAfrica's performance has been inconsistent as well.

I am sure there is very little to separate in between England,South Africa and India in terms on away performance in last 10 years
But doesn't Team India needs to take corrctive action regarding their future and that is what is bothering all of us. Can any other player would have survived on reputation like Sachin, Laxman or even Harbhajan before being axed. Remember Steve and Mark Waugh, Paul Collingwood, etc. were all shown the door quickly. But at the same time, Australia and England had the bench strength which India doesn't have.
I have only one question to ask. Why can't India play for a draw when it is known that they are not going to win. Like before 4th Test it was apparent that India will be whitewashed, so why didn't they play for the draw. Maybe T20 effect.
Old 2nd February 2012, 15:00   #6589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokick View Post
England?
I get your point that the current england team which is ranked no.1 may not deserve to be there as they cannot win in the sub-continent but then this is their first series loss after 2009. To answer your question England last won in srilanka in the 2000-01 series.They last won in India in 1984/85. The fact is that england have won at least one series in all the test playing nations. We are yet to win a test series in australia and south africa. I am not an english supporter. The fact is that there are something called as Rankings. England are ranked no.1 and India are ranked no.3 . We can take solace that the world no.1 team is losing against pakistan in UAE but the better approach would be working towards getting back to winning ways outside the sub-continent. I wish to see a day when we have series wins in SA and australia.
Old 4th February 2012, 14:14   #6590
BHPian

If all Vijay Mallya needed was a local boy to get hit around the park for RCB, i would have volunteered at half the price or for that matter even 1/3rd
What was the need to spend $1 million on Vinay Kumar.

Last edited by karty_83 : 4th February 2012 at 14:29.
Old 6th February 2012, 09:43   #6591
Senior - BHPian

In between all the action taking place in the cricket field, lets not forget about our World Cup hero fighting his battle with cancer.

We will never forget how he rose to form when needed in the World Cup and heroics in his career till today. Ofcourse, there has been ups and downs, but he delivered when needed the most, both with Bat and the Ball.

Wish you a speedy recovery Yuvraj and hope to see you on the field soon
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 12:55   #6592
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
In between all the action taking place in the cricket field, lets not forget about our World Cup hero fighting his battle with cancer.

We will never forget how he rose to form when needed in the World Cup and heroics in his career till today. Ofcourse, there has been ups and downs, but he delivered when needed the most, both with Bat and the Ball.
+1

That also brings back memories of Australia's first World cup win in 87 at Calcutta. Though the scorecards don't reflect it,
one of the Most important contributions came from Simon O’Donnell, who too was diagnosed with Cancer after the win.
He fought and came back into the team a few years later and also scored the world's fastest 50.
Hope Yuvi takes his story as inspiration and comes back stronger than ever.

Last edited by Daewood : 6th February 2012 at 12:58.
Old 6th February 2012, 14:30   #6593
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
If all Vijay Mallya needed was a local boy to get hit around the park for RCB, i would have volunteered at half the price or for that matter even 1/3rd
What was the need to spend $1 million on Vinay Kumar.
Lucky charm ? CSK/Dhoni have Joginder Sharma who will vie with Vinay Kumar for that crown.

BTW, VK bowled superbly in yesterday's ODI. It's been a long time since I had seen an Indian bowler bowl that kind of length at a decent pace. We were doing well until the rain break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
Yeah, it is sad to hear this news. Hope he comes out of it in good spirits and fights his way back into the team. But saying he will play competitive cricket again in May 2012 is taking it too far.
Old 6th February 2012, 20:55   #6594
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Lucky charm ? CSK/Dhoni have Joginder Sharma who will vie with Vinay Kumar for that crown.
Oh ya !! Atleast Joginder wasn't paid that kinda money for being a lucky charm.
In all honesty Vinay kumar is just a club class bowler who is very over rated. Just don't understand why the Indian team management has got obsessed with him. Not like he can bat either.
Now with RCB paying mega bucks to him, it is like an insult to better fast bowlers in Indian cricket, leave alone world cricket.

Quote:
BTW, VK bowled superbly in yesterday's ODI. It's been a long time since I had seen an Indian bowler bowl that kind of length at a decent pace. We were doing well until the rain break.
Like all good players have an off day, yesterday VK had a good day

Read a report that Dhoni had in fact dropped Sehwag for the first ODI owing to his bad form in the Test series. Bold move indeed.
Old 7th February 2012, 21:19   #6595
Senior - BHPian

so a clean sweep of the top ranked team by pak! what do you guys have to say to that?

wanna bet against ind doing the same to them whenevr we meet them next here at home!!!
Old 8th February 2012, 12:00   #6596
Oxy
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joslicx View Post
so a clean sweep of the top ranked team by pak! what do you guys have to say to that?

wanna bet against ind doing the same to them whenevr we meet them next here at home!!!
Don't forget that Pakistan has got one of the best bowling attacks in world cricket at the moment. Our bowlers will struggle to take 20 wickets even at home against good oppositions.

With Dhoni as our test skipper, I don't think we will ever whitewash any team. He's just too defensive.

Moreover, England will travel to Sri Lanka too before they land in India. So by the time they reach India, they will have a fair idea of the conditions and hence it would be that much more difficult to whitewash them. Honestly, I really don't see it happening.

Last edited by Oxy : 8th February 2012 at 12:02.
Old 15th February 2012, 14:54   #6597
BHPian

Team members need your help here, i am looking to buy the "The Greatest Series - The Ashes 2005" but just cant find it available anywhere. Any help in this respect is highly appreciated. need to gift it to one of my best friends, If anyone has downloaded it in Mumbai i am willing to come down to your place to get it transferred.
Old 15th February 2012, 15:17   #6598
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
Oh ya !! Atleast Joginder wasn't paid that kinda money for being a lucky charm.
In all honesty Vinay kumar is just a club class bowler who is very over rated. Just don't understand why the Indian team management has got obsessed with him. Not like he can bat either.
Now with RCB paying mega bucks to him, it is like an insult to better fast bowlers in Indian cricket, leave alone world cricket.

Like all good players have an off day, yesterday VK had a good day

Read a report that Dhoni had in fact dropped Sehwag for the first ODI owing to his bad form in the Test series. Bold move indeed.
Who are these better fast bowlers in India? How was their performance on Indian wickets in domestic cricket? You can compare Vinay Kumar's performance against them.
Also, he is being picked for T20 matches where he has performed well. Lets be relative to whats available in India.
Old 16th February 2012, 03:27   #6599
Senior - BHPian

Commonwealth Bank Series 2011-12: MS Dhoni sticks by openers' rotation policy | Cricket News | Commonwealth Bank Series | ESPN Cricinfo

somehow, Dhoni's rotation policy is not going down well with me. I mean, he is rotating top 3, but why? Why not middle order or bowling? Why is Tiwary on bench all this time when others are failing in first 4 matches?

Something is wrong. Either with Dhoni's thinking or something going on behind the scenes.
Old 16th February 2012, 11:33   #6600
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
somehow, Dhoni's rotation policy is not going down well with me. I mean, he is rotating top 3, but why? Why not middle order or bowling? Why is Tiwary on bench all this time when others are failing in first 4 matches?

Something is wrong. Either with Dhoni's thinking or something going on behind the scenes.
A new opening pair in every game is the worst strategy a team can ever think of, more so considering India's poor run.
If all this is being done just for Sachin or his milestone then its rather sad. Hope its not, but cant think why else.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks