Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2021, 15:57   #14071
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
IPL and T20 world cup are in secure bio bubbles. Like it should be for all matches.
I meant drop the entire IPL series if sometime is found Covid positive.
saket77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 11:07   #14072
Senior - BHPian

I find it odd (and stupid) that bcci scheduled the IPL so near to the end of the England tour.

It is depressing to find out plans upset due to such a last minute cancellation. However I feel the players were more worried about some of them testing positive during the match and also not having a physio available to recover in time for the second innings.

Looking forward to the test being scheduled when England are also at full strength with Stokes, Archer, Broad etc returning to the team.

I suspect Anderson may have been tempted with one last test at his home ground. Hopefully this will happen next year for him.
Old 12th September 2021, 11:40   #14073
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saket77 View Post
I meant drop the entire IPL series if sometime is found Covid positive.
They did when it was Covid positive cases in May. They may again if cases come up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I find it odd (and stupid) that bcci scheduled the IPL so near to the end of the England tour.

It is depressing to find out plans upset due to such a last minute cancellation. However I feel the players were more worried about some of them testing positive during the match and also not having a physio available to recover in time for the second innings.

Looking forward to the test being scheduled when England are also at full strength with Stokes, Archer, Broad etc returning to the team.

I suspect Anderson may have been tempted with one last test at his home ground. Hopefully this will happen next year for him.
See, all boards have only one motivation, Money. BCCI didn't wnat the 5th test scheduled cos it was too near IPL. They wanted tests to start earlier but ECB was more concerned with making 'The Hundred' happen so ECB convinced them for the 5th test so they could make more money. It's unfortunate situation developed as it is now.

But players can't be blamed for fear of getting Covid from a Physio who works all day in close proximity with them. And they had to worry about their family and kids too.

Now ball is in ICC's court as ECB has finally send an official request to adjudicate on tests status. I don't see ICC ruling it as forfeit as no way Indian team could have played. But then ECB won't get insurance money. Tricky situation which I am sure BCCI will find a way to work around.
Old 12th September 2021, 11:57   #14074
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Now ball is in ICC's court as ECB has finally send an official request to adjudicate on tests status. I don't see ICC ruling it as forfeit as no way Indian team could have played. But then ECB won't get insurance money. Tricky situation which I am sure BCCI will find a way to work around.
I didn't follow the South Africa-England series that was also called off mid way after a Covid scare/concern. What was the verdict/status then on the unplayed games in that series ? I think since that set the precedent for such a situation, this one should follow the same process.
Old 12th September 2021, 12:45   #14075
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I didn't follow the South Africa-England series that was also called off mid way after a Covid scare/concern. What was the verdict/status then on the unplayed games in that series ? I think since that set the precedent for such a situation, this one should follow the same process.
Even Australia didn't tour SA before.
Engalnd and Australia both got it rescheduled so matches were not labelled as cancelled or forfeited.

Here match was abandoned on the match morning itself so the issue of Cancel vs Forfeit is coming. If it's cancelled then India win series 2-1 and ECB incur all losses without insurance payout and if it's forfeit then series is 2-2 and ECB gets insurance money but then BCCI will be really pissed.
Old 12th September 2021, 13:04   #14076
BHPian

Quote:
Even Australia didn't tour SA before.
Engalnd and Australia both got it rescheduled so matches were not labelled as cancelled or forfeited.

Here match was abandoned on the match morning itself so the issue of Cancel vs Forfeit is coming. If it's cancelled then India win series 2-1 and ECB incur all losses without insurance payout and if it's forfeit then series is 2-2 and ECB gets insurance money but then BCCI will be really pissed.
An alternative could be, the match is canceled and BCCI compensates ECB for the loss.
Old 12th September 2021, 13:28   #14077
Team-BHP Support

I don't understand why everyone is quick to blame the IPL. Yes, it has money but it's utility to Indian cricket is so often underrated or in some cases, ignored. England is hoping that the Hundred would do the same for them, and hence the schedule was finalised basis keeping the Hundred finals and the gap between test matches was adjusted accordingly.

Anyway, the incubation period of the virus after coming in contact with a positive person is up to 5 days. And unfortunately, these 5 days co-incided with the 5 days of the match. No way it could have gone ahead.
Eddy is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 12th September 2021, 15:33   #14078
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodh_eee View Post
An alternative could be, the match is canceled and BCCI compensates ECB for the loss.
Not gonna happen.

Did CA compensate SA when they refused to tour at the last moment due to covid?
Did England compensate SA when they came back due to Covid scare?

Then why should BCCI do anything?
ECB is facing this cos of their greed of making hundred a priority. Let them suffer the consequences.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 09:26   #14079
Team-BHP Support

There you have it. Let's see what magic Rohit brings about.

Quote:
There could be a change in leadership as far as India’s limited-overs set up is concerned with captain Virat Kohli likely to step down from the role and hand over the duties to his deputy Rohit Sharma. Kohli is the current India skipper across formats having established himself among one of the all-time greats.

There have been rumours of Rohit taking over the charge, at least in T20Is, considering his record as stand-in captain with IPL success where he has Mumbai Indians to five titles further boosting his claim. However, this could become reality once the 2021 ICC Men’s T20 World Cup gets over in the UAE with Kohli now more keen to concentrate on his batting.

“Virat himself will make the announcement. He is of the view that he needs to concentrate on his batting and go back to becoming what he’s always been — the best batsman in the world,” The Times of India quoted sources as saying.
https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/n...t-4196075.html
Old 13th September 2021, 09:45   #14080
Senior - BHPian

The two captain style never works well in my opinion. It is best to have one captain for all formats of the game. Eoin Morgan made it work for England, but I don't think that has to do anything with his captaincy prowess.

I don't think this will happen if Kohli wins the T20 world cup for India. I think there is a big possibility of that happening too. I see a definite improvement in his captaincy in recent times. He is no more clueless when the opposition is dominating. Thie newfound skill of coming back in tests from the verge of loss has a lot to do with his attitude too. Sure his showmanship can use a bit of refinement, but then that is part of Kohli, the package.
Old 13th September 2021, 11:10   #14081
BHPian

Good decision, with the importance of the ipl in the Indian setup, Rohit's track record cannot be ignored. No reason for this to be seen as an affront to kohli and if this allows him to focus more on his batting, all the better for him and the team.
Old 13th September 2021, 12:55   #14082
Team-BHP Support

Nothing in the reporting as such, but in addition to the focusing on his own game aspect, he's a new father now too, so a break from the rigors of all-format captaincy might be of his own choosing to have some quality time with the little one.

One aspect of his I have admiration for is his unwavering support for the long format. Test cricket is best cricket, and nobody can convince me otherwise .
Chetan_Rao is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 13:22   #14083
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

I think it will be a good change if the captaincy in limited overs formats is handed over to Rohit. Firstly it will give that much needed break for Kohli and second, Rohit is probably at his best now and will get the opportunity to lead the side at the right time (and prove his abilities as captain).
NPV is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th September 2021, 14:53   #14084
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chetan_Rao View Post
Test cricket is best cricket, and nobody can convince me otherwise .
Well said! Test cricket tests a player's ability like no other
The pace of a test match may be slow, but I really enjoy the even (well, almost) contest between bat and ball, than the other 2 formats.
Old 13th September 2021, 18:06   #14085
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
I think it will be a good change if the captaincy in limited overs formats is handed over to Rohit. Firstly it will give that much needed break for Kohli and second, Rohit is probably at his best now and will get the opportunity to lead the side at the right time (and prove his abilities as captain).
BCCI have come up with an official statement rubbishing the rumour of Virat Kohli wanting to step down as captain for Limited Overs cricket. He will be the captain for all formats.

Sad news. Thought Kohli had made a wise decision for himself and the team. Anyhow, if his performance in the T20 WC as a batsman isnt good then BCCI should think otherwise.

Unanimous choice for T20I would be Rohit Sharma. And if he wins it for MI in this year then if not BCCI then Kohli really will have to re think.

Last edited by VWAllstar : 13th September 2021 at 18:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks