Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2021, 11:16   #13936
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

The opening partnership has tilted the match towards England by just a few percentage points. Needing to score less than 300 in 90 overs is an ideal scenario for a team like England which bats deep. More over, the opening stand has given the confidence that the pitch is benign in nature and if one applies himself, this target is chasable. With Moen, Woakes, Overton & Robinson as capable lower middle order batsmen, only hope to win is an exceptional bowling performance by India.

Wonder what position we would have been without Lord Shardul.
Attached Thumbnails
The Cricket Thread-screenshot_20210906111143_twitter.jpg  

VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 11:20   #13937
BHPian

Irrespective of the match's result today, I think a minimum of 2 changes are warranted in this side:
1. Drop Jaddu and bring in Ash
2. Drop Rahane and play anyone else

Unless Kohli keeps yapping about the "template again"
ValarMorghulis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 11:41   #13938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srvm View Post
BHPians who are feeling bad for Ashwin's continued exclusion from team (I too feel that way by the way, but asking this out of curiosity) -
How will you feel if India wins today? (this result will further embolden/justify skipper & coach's approach and Ashwin may be kept out for the 5th test as well)

Or will you guys be happier if India lost/draw? (Hoping that finally Captain & Coach will get some good sense to add Ashwin to the playing XI in the next match)
Irrespective of the results, I believe the best 11 should take the field, and Ashwin is definitely one of them.

Whether he should be played along with or in place of Jadeja or other fast bowlers, that's upto the team management, but he's got to be there, purely based on his ability to bowl effectively on any surface.

Note that I wouldn't have said this 2-3 years ago, when playing abroad. Ashwin is now a very different bowler, who can take wickets even on bouncy wickets overseas.
redCherry is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 12:09   #13939
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
BHPians who are feeling bad for Ashwin's continued exclusion from team (I too feel that way by the way, but asking this out of curiosity) -
How will you feel if India wins today? (this result will further embolden/justify skipper & coach's approach and Ashwin may be kept out for the 5th test as well)

Or will you guys be happier if India lost/draw? (Hoping that finally Captain & Coach will get some good sense to add Ashwin to the playing XI in the next match)
I am sorry but I dont get your question - essentially what you are asking is if India should sit out arguably the best spinner in the world who can bat reasonably well as well? Irrespective of whether we win or loose I will still have him in the team.
Old 6th September 2021, 12:38   #13940
BHPian

I think Root will be the key wicket for India today. He has been scoring at brisk pace in this series and looks in sublime form. If we can get openers and Root quickly in first session, India stands a great chance to make it 2-1.
Old 6th September 2021, 13:01   #13941
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmrajravi View Post
I really feel it is something personal that is keeping Ashwin on the bench.
Virat is focused on fitness and it is the qualifying criteria. After qualifying, then one can be a batsman or bowler. Both Ashwin & Jadeja are from Dhoni era, and not really Kohli's favorites, but Jadeja's fielding gives an edge over Ashwin in Kohli's team. (IMO)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Kohli is underachieving with excellent resources at his disposal since he is unable to get above his favoritism.
Favoritism is a broad term and let me define it in Kohli's context. Kohli seems to give an extremely long rope to some. There is no explanation for this. Maybe Kohli doesn't see any potential in this group. But I feel we would have a better pool of players if those who got short rope were encouraged more.
Quote:

Our advice to students is to study for exams. If some student manages to pass without studying, good for that student but our advice remains same, which is be better prepared. Of course, we feel happy if the student passes .
msdivy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 13:24   #13942
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValarMorghulis View Post
Irrespective of the match's result today, I think a minimum of 2 changes are warranted in this side:
1. Drop Jaddu and bring in Ash
2. Drop Rahane and play anyone else
Agree with above. For no. 2 above if Kohli doesn't believe in Vihari or SKY then Indian team Physio Dr. Nitin Patel can even play and not Rahane again please.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 18:21   #13943
Senior - BHPian

On a slightly different note, during this series, I am sure you must have seen those PharmEasy advertisements popping up every few minutes. I think those are the most irritating ads I have ever seen, with men (and a woman) dancing in a goofy manner to a great song i(Urvasi Urvasi). The same for the Kapoor sisters (Netmeds). Now Mr. Tripathi also seems to be getting in the act (1mg) . Somehow our media also overdoes this.
The PharmEasy series, by far is the silliest one.

Last edited by fhdowntheline : 6th September 2021 at 18:22.
fhdowntheline is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 18:26   #13944
BHPian

I want England to play positively and go for the target. This way India will have a better chance of dismissing the English batsmen. With no major demons in the pitch, playing out the overs might not be that difficult. As I am typing this, Jadeja rattles Hameed's off-stump!!

Edit:1
100 test wickets for Jasprit Bumrah

Edit: 2
Make it 101!

Edit: 3
Jadeja strikes again. England staring down the barell now!

Last edited by Emvi : 6th September 2021 at 18:51.
Emvi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 18:59   #13945
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABHI_1512 View Post
England doesn’t have to bat extraordinarily, just staying at the wicket will fetch the desired runs. The pitch as can be seen is now at it’s best for batting. The usual fifth day demons are not expected as of now if the weather remains the same.
Even without special assistance from the pitch, in these kind of 4th innings chases, momentary lapses in concentration can get that first break and then one bad session is all it takes to crash. It's still not over, but from 100 odd for no loss, England is on 149/6, so anything can happen. Anyways, it's unlikey that England can win from here, it's most likely India's game or a draw (extremely remote chances though and it would be a great achievement if England can draw the game from here). The way the English openers were going, no one would've imagined this sudden change!

The rough spots outside the left handers off stump are indeed creating some doubts in the batsman's mind which is good for Jadeja and from the other end we have Bumrah and other pacers to keep runs down and bowl a tight line, just test the patience of the batsmen and let them make all the mistakes.

Last edited by NPV : 6th September 2021 at 19:06.
Old 6th September 2021, 19:11   #13946
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emvi View Post
I want England to play positively and go for the target. This way India will have a better chance of dismissing the English batsmen. With no major demons in the pitch, playing out the overs might not be that difficult. As I am typing this, Jadeja rattles Hameed's off-stump!!

Edit:1
100 test wickets for Jasprit Bumrah

Edit: 2
Make it 101!

Edit: 3
Jadeja strikes again. England staring down the barell now!
Please keep editing! I want to see upto Edit 7 before you have to put a new post

Woakes and Root will have to play extraordinarily well to save the test match. Fascinating couple of hours ahead.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 19:28   #13947
Senior - BHPian

Folks, it ain't over till the fat lady sings. So, please, please go easy on the excitement and praise. In case I haven't made myself clear - DON'T-JINX-IT!!
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 19:33   #13948
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Folks, it ain't over till the fat lady sings. So, please, please go easy on the excitement and praise. In case I haven't made myself clear - DON'T-JINX-IT!!
Nothing which has JIN is working out - Anywhere! So even our Jinx will have 0 value just like how Jin has for team India
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 19:55   #13949
BHPian

Shardul Thakur uproots Root!! He is the man of the moment and a top candidate for Man of the Match
Old 6th September 2021, 19:55   #13950
Senior - BHPian

Only a couple of hours and India should be wrapping this up.

Thakur is my MoM for sure for his batting and also picking Root.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks