Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2021, 20:28   #13951
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

What a transformation in the last few hours. Last evening it looked like loaded in favor of the English; Virat has shown us why he is India's most successful Test Captain ever. His never say die spirit and persistent aggression make him a legend already.

I have seen Indian captains from BS Bedi onwards.

Let's wrap it up, boys !

Last edited by suhaas307 : 6th September 2021 at 22:47. Reason: spacing for improved readability
Old 6th September 2021, 20:32   #13952
Senior - BHPian

Agreed with the general consensus here. Shardul is the MoM. If not for his 57 in first innings India wouldnt be in this position today. And again in 2nd innings he contributed with an excellent knock. And not to forget in both innings he took the wickets of key batsmen. Ollie Pope the top scorer in 1st innings and the dangerous Root in 2nd.

2nd match Rahul was adjudged MoM while Siraj felt more deserving. Hope this time the same doesnt repeat with Rohit getting it. Not to take away anything from the hitman, but Shardul's contribution in this match has been terrific
Old 6th September 2021, 21:10   #13953
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

It's all over for England! Anderson reviewed what looked like a clear caught behind

India win at Oval 50 years after the iconic 1971 victory under Wadekar's captaincy.

Edit:going by what Vikram Rathore said, Rahane will probably be given one more chance in the last test ?

Last edited by NPV : 6th September 2021 at 21:14.
NPV is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 21:15   #13954
BHPian

After getting bowled out for 191 in 60 odd overs in the opening day, tremendous come back from India to trounce England in the final session of the Test. Absolutely remarkable feat

Anderson did 'everything' possible to delay the inevitable

Last edited by Emvi : 6th September 2021 at 21:17.
Emvi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 21:16   #13955
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
It's all over for England!

India win at Oval 50 years after the iconic 1971 victory under Wadekar's captaincy.

Edit:going by what Vikram Rathore said, Rahane will probably be given one more chance in the last test ?
Brilliant. This team indeed has a lot more fire in them than many previous generations.

Agree on what Sunil Gavaskar said, there must be something that has irked a generally calm Bhumrah. Hope he shares the same post the series. My guess is Anderson mocking him or some dressing room staircase taunt. Whatever it was, has helped us see the best of Bhumrah.

And yeah, Rahane would get another test match and Ashwin will sit out for the entire series. Ashwin should fly out of the country to make some noise
VWAllstar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 21:19   #13956
Senior - BHPian

"It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right, I hope you had the time of your life!"

Green Day might have been talking about test cricket when they sang this song.

Congratulations comrades, enjoy the celebrations!

Last edited by Sheel : 6th September 2021 at 21:45. Reason: Smilie usage is restricted to 2 per post. Request you to be careful. Thanks.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 21:26   #13957
Senior - BHPian

Despite being England being 0/77 overnight, India still had the upper hand on day 5. After fielding for 2 days, it is always difficult to bat big on day 5. Credit to the Indian bowlers to wrap things up.

I'm pretty confident this Indian side can win in RSA; NZ is the final frontier to be conquered. If our batsmen played the moving ball better, I wouldn't hesitate to compare this Indian side to the mighty Aussies led by Waugh (and then Ponting) or South Africa (led by Smith).

EDIT: Thakur is not the MoM. To say I'm disappointed is an understatement. :(

Last edited by landcruiser123 : 6th September 2021 at 21:49.
landcruiser123 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 21:32   #13958
Senior - BHPian

None of us can blame Virat for dropping Ashwin now. He has delivered another win. As long as he is doing that, he can pick the people he likes. We cant ignore the fact that his aggression in the field is also a reason for our team being able to bounce back from dead.

I think the main reason why we could get England all out was the extra 4-5 kmph of pace that our pace trio had. Bumrah, Umesh and Siraj consistently bowled at about 140kmph with the former two at times hitting 145. Pace was a big factor in the two wickets that Bumrah and Umesh each got. I watched the entire India second innings yesterday and could not find even a single ball above 140 from england bowlers. This new found overseas test success is because of our fast bowling bench strength. Rest of the ingredients were always there. But now, even with injuries, we are able to field 2-3 players bowling well above 140 in every match.

Last edited by padmrajravi : 6th September 2021 at 21:36.
Old 6th September 2021, 21:34   #13959
Distinguished - BHPian

Rohit Sharma is the Man of the Match...the jury (commentary team I guess) have completely lost it I guess. Shardul is the Man who changed the match's complexion!!!

Shardul was behind the lead of just 99 which could've been 150.
Shardul made the target 368 which could've been just 250.
Shardul took Root
Shardul took 3 wickets in total.

Of course Rohit's ton was fantastic and a landmark 100 in his career...but from the match's perspective, Shardul's performance was more impactful than anything. Just another example of 100s are overrated

Anyway...An amazing win.
Hope we can get the trophy back home.

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 6th September 2021 at 21:50.
hemanth.anand is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 21:36   #13960
Distinguished - BHPian

This game is so cruel on Bowlers, they do so much, but always batsman get MOM, very sad!!

Shardul and Siraj were so much more deserving.

Great win, the bowlers have just been fantablous for us from last couple of years.
AtheK is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 21:48   #13961
KPR
BANNED

India has won test match with 10 players and 1 dummy in Rahane. Lord Shardul and Siraj are find of the year. Rahane will feature not only in next match but next series as well. What a lucky man he is !
Old 6th September 2021, 21:50   #13962
Senior - BHPian

Thakur is my Man of the match.
His 57 in first innings saved us from the embarassment of 120 all out and match being finished there and then. Then his 60 in 2nd innings and partnership with Pant made sure we had the lead which England can't chase. Rohit's 127 was excellent but Thakur also took important wickets of Pope in first innings and Root in 2nd.

Umesh was equally good throughout and finally Jaddu had some rough to make his bowling count.

They should play someone else in place of Rahane next game but I won't be surprised with an unchanged side as Rahane's paid holiday has to be completed.

Special mention for Bumrah. That Bairstow Yorker was unplayable by any batter. Splended 6 over spell.

Last edited by harry10 : 6th September 2021 at 21:53.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 21:53   #13963
Team-BHP Support

Well, Kohli has the last laugh. Had Ashwin played, it would have been in place of Shardul most likely. And Shardul won us this match. Maybe Ashwin would have played better, but Kohli's team is 2-1. All of us armchair critics can take a hike.

Man of the match should have been Shardul. His impact, especially in the first innings, set up this win.

Kudos team India.

Wishing Ravi Shastri and all others a quick recovery.
Eddy is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 22:15   #13964
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Well, Kohli has the last laugh. Had Ashwin played, it would have been in place of Shardul most likely. And Shardul won us this match. Maybe Ashwin would have played better, but Kohli's team is 2-1. All of us armchair critics can take a hike.
Well the armchairs critics wanted Ashwin to play in place of Jadeja.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Lord Shardul and Siraj are find of the year.
The find of the series in my book is Rohit Sharma, who just notched up his first overseas hundred. He has displayed amazing temperament in this series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Rohit has been enhancing his muscle memory on tour. I read somewhere that he keeps his hands inside his pockets ALL the time. It has helped him keep his hands close to his body while batting (muscle memory), and not chase after balls.
Being in the test scene for the last 8 years, good to know something finally worked for Rohit.
msdivy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th September 2021, 22:41   #13965

Well a well deserved victory for India. I was very sure about this win as batting on Day 5 itself is difficult, also English the batsmen had no rest for 2 days straight almost. Although Rohit played very well I feel that Shardul should have been the Man of the match as his half century in 1st innings ensured that India had a respectable score to play with. Also his play in the 2nd innings increased the lead for India to more than 300. Finally 2 wickets were an icing on the cake.
MANE is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks