Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd January 2021, 23:19   #12601
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandey.jai View Post
Such a highly irresponsible act by some of the players of the Indian Cricket Team. Now that the breach has been confirmed, what are the next steps here? Even if the players completely isolate and test negative, there is not sufficient time before the third test to follow the protocols set by Cricket Australia.

There is not even enough time to fly potential replacements in. Does this mean there is a way that the third test will get called off?
Shardul will replace umesh, shaw will replace gill and Saha will replace pant, and we will lose in 2 days
Old 2nd January 2021, 23:21   #12602
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Wonder what the security official of the Indian Team was doing. Btw, I distinctly remember pics of Virat & Hardik visiting some store in a mall during the T20 series & posing with the staff. Wonder why there wasn't a hue & cry back then!
Old 2nd January 2021, 23:41   #12603
Senior - BHPian

Hopefully the players will be reprimanded and a small fine will be levied and that will be all.

Last edited by harry10 : 2nd January 2021 at 23:43.
Old 4th January 2021, 16:12   #12604
Senior - BHPian

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/80095273.cms

This is a little too much. If they break the protocol, there needs to be repercussions. Not sure what BCCI thinks about itself. I am sure they feel like they are doing favour to countries they play cricket with.
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 16:15   #12605
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by srishiva View Post
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/80095273.cms

This is a little too much. If they break the protocol, there needs to be repercussions. Not sure what BCCI thinks about itself. I am sure they feel like they are doing favour to countries they play cricket with.
I think the request has some merit IF and only IF the quarantine rules have changed recently. The team / board should have the right of refusal to play in case the bio bubble requirements have been made stricter compared to the protocol agreed earlier.

Whether it will be considered a forfeit or abandonment is a different issue.
Old 4th January 2021, 17:14   #12606
Senior - BHPian

I dont think there has been any formal comunication from BCCI regarding quarantine or anything. Even CA mentions they have not heard anything contrary from the Indian Board. The Australian minister seemed to have reacted to a news report that suggested some people were unhappy.

I think this and the way they commented without any official request/complaint from indian board is what has not gone well with our team management.
Old 4th January 2021, 17:28   #12607
Senior - BHPian

I simply dont understand- why, for once, can the cricketers not do their job quietly ? If the breach of public safety protocol entails replacement of team members, so be it. No one is above the rules, especially when there is a public health hazard going on.
Old 4th January 2021, 18:57   #12608
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Australians have a very good record at the Gabba. From what I recollect, it has the most pace & bounce amongst all the pitches in Australia. Usually the 1st Test of a series is played there. Could be a good thing if Sydney also hosts the 4th Test, traditionally it has offered turn.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 19:45   #12609
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
The team / board should have the right of refusal to play in case the bio bubble requirements have been made stricter compared to the protocol agreed earlier.
Conspiracy much?

https://www.crictracker.com/no-one-w...y-in-brisbane/
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 20:22   #12610
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am sure they feel like they are doing favour to countries they play cricket with.
This is true to a large extent since majority of revenue in world cricket today is generated from India both in terms of television viewership as well as sponsorship and hence the BCCI is extremely powerful, even more than the ICC. When almost 2 months of the world cricket schedule is dedicated to IPL, you can imagine the clout of BCCI.

Heck, even stadium ticket prices for the first test in this series were more because Kohli was playing!

Last edited by NPV : 4th January 2021 at 20:23.
Old 4th January 2021, 20:54   #12611
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
I think the request has some merit IF and only IF the quarantine rules have changed recently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fhdowntheline View Post
I simply dont understand- why, for once, can the cricketers not do their job quietly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post
Conspiracy much?
Here is a quote from a news item from Cricbuzz. This is specific to Brisbane test, but there is typo where it mentions Sydney. Their video on Youtube talks of Brisbane.
Quote:
"We think it's contradictory if you are going to allow fans to come to the ground and enjoy that freedom, and then ask us as performers to go back to the hotel and quarantine. That is especially after we've been tested negative for the virus. We don't want to be treated like we are animals in the zoo,"
https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-new...ays-team-india

I think it is fair to ask to be treated on par with others in the same city / country.

Quote:
Not sure what BCCI thinks about itself. I am sure they feel like they are doing favour to countries they play cricket with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
This is true to a large extent since majority of revenue in world cricket today is generated from India both in terms of television viewership as well as sponsorship.
I agree with NPV on BCCI doing a favor to others by playing. I know it makes BCCI look like a bully, which it is, to get its way but then Australians / others are not epitome of fair play and righteousness. Just watch few videos of 2008 series with Australia and you'd know.
Old 4th January 2021, 21:42   #12612
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post

https://www.cricbuzz.com/cricket-new...ays-team-india

I think it is fair to ask to be treated on par with others in the same city / country.

There is a commercial aspect to sports. You dont want players to get infected and disturb the tour. The players also know this and they are also being paid.
You cant equate them with people watching the game.
srishiva is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2021, 22:31   #12613
BHPian

Quote:
There is a commercial aspect to sports. You dont want players to get infected and disturb the tour.
Are you implying the Queensland Government has put in restrictions due to this aspect? I never got that impression from all the comments from ministers of Queensland and don't agree that a local government is even taking it into consideration.
Old 5th January 2021, 09:30   #12614
Distinguished - BHPian

KL Rahul has been ruled out of the remaining two Tests of the Border-Gavaskar Trophy. As per BCCI media release, he sprained his left wrist while batting in the nets at the MCG during a practice session it seems. He will need about three weeks time to recover completely and regain full strength. The media release said that he will return to India and then to the National Cricket Academy in Bengaluru for further rehabilitation of his injury.

Sad that he couldn't play when he was in form but that should make the team selection easier.
Either Mayank or Vihari will make way for Rohit.

Mayank
Gill
Pujara
Rahane
Rohit
Pant
Jadeja
Ashwin
Saini/Natarajan
Siraj
Bumrah

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 5th January 2021 at 09:37.
Old 5th January 2021, 12:45   #12615
Senior - BHPian

I think Rohit and Gill should open and have Mayank in the middle order. Could provide some confidence to Mayank.

It could also mean that if the pitch helps pacers, we might still have a problem with opening with Rohit still a question mark in that position. Its little of less headache since KL is out of contention

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks