Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th December 2020, 08:54   #12541
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

The great Wall of 36 has been breached, with just two casualties, this will go down in history books.

On a serious note, this will calm down some nerves, half done, half to go, keep at it boys.
Old 29th December 2020, 08:55   #12542
Distinguished - BHPian

In hindsight, after the fall of the 6th wicket, the last 5 Indian batsmen scored 30 runs in thier first innings. Compared to that, the last 5 Australian batsmen scored 100 runs in their second innings. That difference of 70 runs is what we are chasing now. If our last 5 batsmen can score a little more or if our bowlers can dismiss their tail quicker, we will win more matches easily. If both can happen, that's even better.

Anyway, I expect Gill and Rahane to finish this off. But strange things have happened on a cricket field!
Old 29th December 2020, 09:00   #12543
Senior - BHPian

And then, we see some super cool shots from Gill and Rahane. Lovely looking boundaries.

Was about to hit the submit reply button when Rahane hooked one and gave the jitters, thankfully fell in the gap.

Last edited by vb-saan : 29th December 2020 at 18:07. Reason: Punctuations
Old 29th December 2020, 09:12   #12544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
Hope to wake up tomorrow to know India will be chasing around 80 runs. And then watch Gill score a quick fire 50 hitting the winning runs in some style
Ok I was almost accurate with my prediction. Atleast the first half and the way Gill is playing probably the second half may come close. What a good feeling to see Rahane square off the series
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 09:15   #12545
Distinguished - BHPian

Brilliant win, one of the best overseas, specially after that demoralizing innings in last test match. Except for one brain fade session, we have competed brilliantly, trading blows to blows and invariably landing more. This team has shown a character our team has not been known of overseas.

Battling loss of players due to injury, one of our best batsman not available, three front line bowlers not playing, still to pull it through, it is nothing short of grit and determination, very very well played. Special call out to rahane for his match winning knock and a calmness he brings to team as a captain.

This match though belongs to our bowlers, more then anyone else, special call out to Siraj for such a brilliant performance on debut. Even gill deserves a lot of credit for a great debut, positive cricket and a brilliant knock in the chase.
Old 29th December 2020, 09:19   #12546
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

A win finally for India
Series level now at 1-1.

Third test changes for India:
-Saini in for Umesh (depends on his injury/recovery) ?
-Rohit/KL in for Mayank/Vihari ? Maybe both!

Last edited by NPV : 29th December 2020 at 09:34.
Old 29th December 2020, 09:24   #12547
Distinguished - BHPian

ODI 2-1 Australia
T20 2-1 India
Test 1-1 with 2 more to go...can't be a better way to step into the new year. Well done team India!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Third test changes for India:
-Saini in for Umesh (depends on his injury/recovery) ?
-Rohit in for Mayank/Vihari ?
Saini/Natarajan for Umesh
Rohit for Mayank
Rahul for Vihari

This would be my changes if the next one happens in MCG.

If it happens in SCG, probably we should add Kuldeep Yadav in place of Umesh Yadav

Last edited by hemanth.anand : 29th December 2020 at 09:33.
Old 29th December 2020, 09:28   #12548
Senior - BHPian

Great win. It was a befitting end with Rahane scoring the winning runs

And not to forget the debutants. Both Gill and Siraj making healthy contributions. Sir Jadeja and Bumrah as well were clinical. Overall a great team effort

Mayank and Pujara weren’t upto mark but I hope they get their mojo back in the next.
Old 29th December 2020, 09:32   #12549
Senior - BHPian

I think certain players like Mayank and Rahul go all out and change their style too much to score in IPL. They are applauded for that. I think that's impacting their test performances.

Hope Mayank can continue in next test. He was very good in defense last time while in Australia. Not sure if Ravi Shastri as a coach can tell them anything He doesn't even wake up during day time.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 29th December 2020 at 11:18. Reason: Typos
srishiva is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 09:40   #12550
KPR
BANNED

An all rounder is an important asset in any format. Comes Sir Jadeja into playing 11 comes calmness in the team. Thanks to Sanjay Manjrekar for waking up the tiger in Sir Jadeja in July 2019. SM continue your waking up job in Shaw, Mayank & Vihari too.

If team had a test fit Hardik in for Vihari then the team can accomodate/give grooming time for players like Shaw/Agarwal/Gill who are new to international tests.

Last edited by KPR : 29th December 2020 at 09:44.
Old 29th December 2020, 09:45   #12551
Senior - BHPian

The meek might very well inherit the Earth, but they definitely won't win a test series in Australia. Brilliant, aggressive cricket from the Indians, without any overt histrionics. Loved it!

Hope we retain the Border-Gavaskar trophy with an outright 3-1 series win!
Old 29th December 2020, 10:35   #12552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
An all rounder is an important asset in any format. Comes Sir Jadeja into playing 11 comes calmness in the team. Thanks to Sanjay Manjrekar for waking up the tiger in Sir Jadeja in July 2019. SM continue your waking up job in Shaw, Mayank & Vihari too.
Oh you bet.

In the last 3 years, Jadeja has played 5 test matches in SENA countries has scored 271 runs at an average of 45 runs per innings and a bowling average of 28.8.

His career stats overall are a batting average of 35 and bowling average of 25. I think he always would be a strong contender for number 7 unless Pandya comes in.
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 10:59   #12553
Senior - BHPian

I wish I could see Ponting do an interview now. He had predicted a 4-0 white wash. Wonder where he is hiding.

If only, if only, we didn’t do that horrible one hour of batting at Adelaide..tchh..
Old 29th December 2020, 11:09   #12554
Senior - BHPian

Ajinkya Rahane joins the elite list of MS Dhoni and Virat Kohli to win a Boxing Day Test match as Indian captain.

The proud recipient and the inaugural winner of the Mullagh Medal.

The Cricket Thread-20201229_110634.jpg

The Cricket Thread-20201229_110534.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th December 2020, 11:56   #12555
Senior - BHPian

Brilliant win. Back against the wall. 36 humiliation which could break any teams morale. I will rate this win as high as the Perth one in 2008. We couldn't win the series then. We can win it now. I want Warner to play next game. I want us to beat their best XI even when we don't have our best XI playing.

Positives-
Gill- brilliant temperament in both innings. No nervous jitters. Ya, he got lucky with couple of drops but was flawless in 2nd innings.

Rahane- Very good Captaincy, brilliant batting and return to form is good omen for rest of series. A true gentleman like Rahul Dravid. New players like Gill will benefit from him and Pujara.

Siraj- So, his Ranji exploits weren't exaggerated and he can bowl a good line and length all day.. very impressive debut.

Jadeja- he should be a starter in all matches unless it's a green top like NZ. MVP since long. Period.

Ashwin- probably bowling his best. The pressure he creates is invaluable.

Bumrah- we are lucky to have him. Enough said.

Pant- One drop catch aside was reasonably good with the gloves. However, his counterattacking 29 and that 50+ partnership with Rahane when we were struggling for momentum was precious. Will only get better with confidence.

Vihari- Doing reasonably well at 5/6 and holding out one end. But, I would like him to make some 50+ scores soon.

Negatives-
Mayank- Technical issues and lack of confidence is apparent in his dismissals. Might get replaced by Rohit in next match.

Pujara- Dip in form but hopefully does well in next one. He is undroppable overseas.

Seems Saini will play next game if Umesh isn't fit. I would have liked to try Natrajan but team management prefers Saini.

After the sadness of 36 it's good to be happy for another 9 days
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks