Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2021, 13:12   #12616
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Playing XI for the 3rd Test against Australia at the SCG. Navdeep Saini is all set to make his debut.

The Cricket Thread-20210106_131106.jpg

Link
Venkatesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:14   #12617
Team-BHP Support

I don't like this. Mayank has been a consistent opener, and that is rare for India. Should not have been dropped after 2 bad games.
Eddy is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:20   #12618
KPR
BANNED

Let's see if Rohit can make some impact straight away. In case if Rohit makes a big impact who knows poor Mayank's career may see a down trend. Sorry state what Ravi-Kohli combination has made on budding players. No backing up. Mayank should atleast get last test and Vihari/Pujara (if they don't score runs) should be benched.

Last edited by KPR : 6th January 2021 at 13:22.
Old 6th January 2021, 13:28   #12619
Team-BHP Support

Pujara and bench should not be used in the same sentence for at least the next 8-10 matches.
Old 6th January 2021, 13:32   #12620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
Let's see if Rohit can make some impact straight away.
'The triumph of hope over experience'

This remark is reported to have been said by Samuel Johnson in James Boswell's Life of Samuel Johnson, 1791. The occasion was Johnson's hearing of a man who had remarried soon after the death of a wife to whom he had been unhappily married.
msdivy is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:34   #12621
Distinguished - BHPian

With series on line, i don't think there is an option for a long run, yes it seems bad on paper, but in reality, 4 innings nothing substantial, worthy players waiting to play, it's cut throat. I would have been OK to give him a chance if he had at least played one good innings. Vihari also gets to play just because Virat is not there, otherwise the only open slot in indian test team batting line up is where gill is playing.

If you really ask me though, Sharma neither deserves a place in playing 11 nor VC. He is a dud in SENA, hopefully he can justify his place tomorrow.

Last edited by AtheK : 6th January 2021 at 13:35.
Old 6th January 2021, 13:42   #12622
Team-BHP Support

So in essence we are saying that Mayank is gone for the foreseeable future. When Virat returns, he will take Vihari's spot. And India will continue to play 5 bowlers including Sir Jadeja.

What if Rohit fails or has a middling two tests? Does Mayank return for England's tour of India?

Ideally, Mayank and Gill should have both played. Vihari should have been benched in case Rohit was a given in the playing 11.
Eddy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2021, 13:51   #12623
KPR
BANNED

Remember player called Murali Vijay? He should have been in the squad as an experienced opener. He tires out bowlers and ensures he gets out after making the ball lose it's shine. He's good at not touching the ball. What he lacked was not the skill but proper backing from captain and coach. Dhoni did that to him.

Last edited by KPR : 6th January 2021 at 13:53.
Old 6th January 2021, 14:37   #12624
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
So in essence we are saying that Mayank is gone for the foreseeable future.
No, just the immediate future. 3rd & 4th Test.

Quote:
When Virat returns, he will take Vihari's spot. And India will continue to play 5 bowlers including Sir Jadeja.
I guess Gill will make way for Virat. Unless he scores 100 in the next 2 Tests!

Quote:
What if Rohit fails or has a middling two tests? Does Mayank return for England's tour of India?
Rohit & Mayank I feel will go back to opening when England arrives here.

Quote:
Ideally, Mayank and Gill should have both played. Vihari should have been benched in case Rohit was a given in the playing 11.
Vihari hasn't done much wrong either I feel.
Old 6th January 2021, 14:54   #12625
Distinguished - BHPian

I was surprised Mayank was dropped and Vihari was retained. I always felt Mayank was a better player especially when Vihari isn't bowling. So I compared the stats of both of them. Whether I consider the last 5 tests or the total career stats that has similar number of matches(11 for Vihari and 13 for Mayank), Mayank has scored much more runs than Vihari at a much better average. So even the stats show that Mayank is better!

The Cricket Thread-mayank.jpg

The Cricket Thread-vihari.jpg

The only reason why I could think of the decision to replace Mayank with Rohit is that Rohit has a wonderful average of 92.7 at number two position and a lesser yet amazing average of 54.6 at number 6.
Old 6th January 2021, 19:05   #12626
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
Mayank has scored much more runs than Vihari at a much better average. So even the stats show that Mayank is better!
Mayank hasn't looked his usual self in the 2 Tests so far. Not that he's played rash shots, but maybe his technique & backlift needs some finetuning. Vihari has looked marginally more assured without scoring many big runs.
Old 6th January 2021, 19:23   #12627
Senior - BHPian

I have always believed people should be played on the basis of their form and not what they have done in the past.

Mayank was good in 2018 series for 2 matches. Made lots of runs in home series but then he hasn't made many in West Indies and then NZ earlier this year and looked completely out of sorts in first 2 matches. With Gill looking solid in last match and Rohit Sharma being asked to play as an opener it was obvious Mayank will get the axe for now. If Rohit was played in middle order then Vihari would have been axed. Personally I have always seen Rohit fail if the ball swings but SCG might not have it much so he may score reasonably. I hope he scores atleast 40-50.

Also, Rohit's inclusion has been a good morale booster for the players and his experience may help out Rahane too.

I hope we win the toss and bat first. Bowling last will be always advantageous considering the spin assistance at SCG.

On a side note Vihari needs to play a big innings in last 2 matches if he wants to stay in consideration. With England series at home and Virat back Vihari will find himself out of favor fast. Rohit will definitely play England series as he is a beast in home conditions.

Last edited by harry10 : 6th January 2021 at 19:30.
Old 6th January 2021, 19:26   #12628
Distinguished - BHPian

I think the problem was like to like replacement, Rohit has excelled as opener (at least in last matches, though all of them in India), and been mainly a no show in middle order. Not sure how Mayank would have fared in middle order. Gill showed a lot of application and resolve in the last match, so he became an automatic starter.
Old 6th January 2021, 19:30   #12629
Oxy
BHPian

Mayank's backlift was atrocious this series (very high with the bat coming down from the direction of the slips). I mean, such a basic yet glaring technical deficiency it is that the opposition fast bowlers will almost always beat him for pace. He needs some real work with the batting coach. In my opinion, it was a good decision to drop him.

Also, considering Rohit has had zero match practice, he should not be opening straightaway against Starc, Cummins and Hazelwood. I hope Vihari opens, he has done it before.

Last edited by Oxy : 6th January 2021 at 19:33.
Old 6th January 2021, 19:41   #12630
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Mayank's backlift was atrocious this series (very high with the bat coming down from the direction of the slips). I mean, such a basic yet glaring technical deficiency it is that the opposition fast bowlers will almost always beat him for pace. He needs some real work with the batting coach. In my opinion, it was a good decision to drop him.

Also, considering Rohit has had zero match practice, he should not be opening straightaway against Starc, Cummins and Hazelwood. I hope Vihari opens, he has done it before.
Not happening, If Rohit had to play in middle, Vihari would have been dropped.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks