Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2020, 10:19   #12466
Oxy
BHPian

Re: The Cricket Thread

Jadeja had a concussed hamstring. Has he even recovered?
Oxy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 11:03   #12467
Senior - BHPian

Dramatic first game. Everyone saw the grand undressing of the Indian batsmen by some fine bowling by Cummins & Hazlewood. I hope the 36 a.o. is once in a decade event.

Coming to the second test, we won't have VK & Shami. I think India is going to miss the latter more. Wish VK good luck for the birth of his first child (happens only once in a lifetime) and Shami a quick recovery.

I wish Shaw is dropped - it'll be good for him and the team. The poor kid is having a torrid time - I'm sure he'll be extremely successful if he makes some technical adjustments. He shouldn't be dropped by the wayside.

My prediction for the 11:
1. Mayank
2. Rahul
3. Pujara
4. Gill (I wish Gill is sent at #3 if the openers build a strong foundation)
5. Rahane
6. Vihari
7. Saha
8. Ashwin
9. Bumrah
10. Yadav
11. Siraj

Causes for concern:
1. Control in the fast bowling: I'd love to be proven wrong, but we're going to miss a workhorse in Shami. Shami + Bumrah could maintain control when Yadav supported them by bowling the explosive short spells. Going by Siraj's record in FC, IPL, and T20I, he seems to be a bowler in the mold of Yadav - can bowl explosive spells and get wickets, but would also leak runs. (Premature judgement, I know)

2. Batting depth: Unpopular opinion - any takers for (Jadeja + Pant) instead of (Vihari + Saha)? With all due respect to the latter pair, I'm sure the pair of Jadeja and Pant will score more runs. Also, Jadeja offers control with bowling. This move will definitely mean a gamble with the wicket keeping.

India need something extraordinary to get close to winning the series from here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oxy View Post
Jadeja had a concussed hamstring. Has he even recovered?
From the limited medical knowledge I have, I think they are two different things right? Concussion occurs due to a blow to the head and hamstrings are muscles in the thigh. Both are an area of concern with Jadeja at the moment?
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 11:12   #12468
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
From the limited medical knowledge I have, I think they are two different things right? Concussion occurs due to a blow to the head and hamstrings are muscles in the thigh. Both are an area of concern with Jadeja at the moment?
That was a pun

We still don't know if he sat out of the T20I because of his hamstring or concussion so....

Anyway, there are now reports of as many as 5 changes in the playing 11. Pant, KL, Gill, Siraj & Sir Jadeja all will play.

And if Gill and KL have a decent game, who does Rohit replace in the 3rd test?
Eddy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 11:17   #12469
BHPian

M Agrawal
S Gill
C Pujara
A Rahane
K L Rahul
R Pant
R Jadeja
R Ashwin
M Siraj
N Saini
J Bhumrah

This will make a good team considering all play with their heads down. Respect the bowlers, conditions and more so the series score. We must try to get the match to the 5th day. Australian batting is not as powerful as before and with some disciplined bowling and more importantly take catches, we can actually level the series.
Easier said than done. Time has come that we put our capabilities on paper to on the ground.
Old 21st December 2020, 11:49   #12470
Senior - BHPian

Unless they learn how to bat if the ball seams, not sure any composition is going to help.
They need to rethink on how to play and how to leave balls alone. Maybe their guard needs to change to off or 4th off stump to judge balls better. None of the regular batsmen got a blow on body

Hazelwood who would look boring on normal pitches was a joy to watch. Control on line and length was impeccable which Indian bowlers couldn't match.
Old 21st December 2020, 13:24   #12471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
That was a pun

We still don't know if he sat out of the T20I because of his hamstring or concussion so....

Anyway, there are now reports of as many as 5 changes in the playing 11. Pant, KL, Gill, Siraj & Sir Jadeja all will play.

And if Gill and KL have a decent game, who does Rohit replace in the 3rd test?
As per team management he did strech his hamstring but the main problem was he felt dizzy when coming to dressing room hence they took concussion substitute and later he was ruled out of T20 series because of both injuries. He was supposed to be fit for 2nd test but as usual we the fans will never get a clear picture from bcci or team management.

If all replacements play well, especially Gill and KL I don't see why we need Rohit to play in 3rd test. It will be highly stupid to replace someone making runs and in form for a player who has never been a test regular even after a decade+ career. If he does replaces someone then it should be KL and not Gill as the youngster needs to be persisted for all 3 matches so we can gauge how good he is in foreign conditions. Also, it will help with his confidence.

Rahane is an intelligent street smart cricketer so I expect him to make good changes and lead the team well.

Vihari has done a good job previously opening the innings so he can be promoted there and let Gill and KL bat in the middle. If Jaddu plays in place of Vihari then Gill should open. Under no circumstances we should let KL or even Rohit open in tests overseas. The moment there is a hint of swing they both look vulnerable.

Last edited by harry10 : 21st December 2020 at 13:27.
harry10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2020, 13:40   #12472
KPR
BANNED

I would go with Jadeja instead of Vihari for his 3 dimensional talent. Pant is unpredictable. So Saha can have his place. T Natarajan can be roped in as replacement for Shami and can be a surprise factor if in playing 11 given the only left arm pacer available now. These Australians go with proper homework against each bowler. Hope they've no footage of Nattu in tests and have seen his exploits in T20 and ODIs. But Langer by now would have learnt about his skill from McGrath. Meanwhile our coach RS would've done some unknown important work too.
KPR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 09:26   #12473
KPR
BANNED

This article does makes sense.

https://indianexpress.com/article/sp...rules-7116767/
Old 24th December 2020, 09:29   #12474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
No it doesn't. Kohli asked for leave so he was granted leave. Did Natrajan asked for leave and was denied? He obviously didn't as he would like to be part of the team at the start of his career. Can't blame BCCI for that.
Old 24th December 2020, 09:45   #12475
BHPian

Quote:
Mr.Gavaskar needs to shut up. The guy he is talking about plays more Cricket for India than anybody else on the team.

Gavaskar is a proud man and wants an issue to be able to redeem himself after the Anushka Sharma debacle(s)?

Nobody stopped anyone from leaving the IPL BioSecure Bubble and witnessing the birth of their child. People were free to leave. Suresh Raina left just as IPL was about to start. T Natarajan considered his pros and cons before choosing to stay put. Totally respect his decision to choose his nascent career over the miracle of life.

I also totally support Virat on his decision. And the reason for me supporting him has nothing to do with the stuff he has done for the country. He is an individual who has his own priorities. He has prioritised the country above all else for years. If within these 3 tests, India finds Steve Waugh's 11 and Virat gets sacked from captaincy and the team, that is a risk, it seems, Virat is willing to take. He has weighed his odds and chosen accordingly. Let's respect his decision to do that.
antz.bin is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 09:57   #12476
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Unless Gavaskar knows for sure/has evidence that Natarajan asked for leave and was denied so, this is pretty shameful. Shameful if true as well.

About Ashwin, isn't that true with all captains. Be it Ganguly or MSD or now Kohli, all captains have their favorites and those they are happy to drop.
Old 24th December 2020, 09:59   #12477
KPR
BANNED

Natarajan's choice is purely based on stage of his career. However I feel Ashwin is always in nascent state despite his experience and test match skills. Blame his attitude or being a Dhoni's man or whatever.
Old 24th December 2020, 10:19   #12478
NPV
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like KL Rahul will not play the second test after all. Apparently the team think tank feels he doesn't have enough red ball match practice.
Source

Many of us on the forum felt KL Rahul should (and will) replace Kohli, even Gavaskar agrees but Shastri and Rahane may not agree
Source

Last edited by NPV : 24th December 2020 at 10:23.
Old 24th December 2020, 10:23   #12479
KPR
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPV View Post
Looks like KL Rahul will not play the second test. Apparently the team think tank feels he doesn't have enough red ball match practice.
Where was the think tank when he was selected for the Aus tour test squad. Seems like IPL season can make a test team. We are heading Windies way.
KPR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th December 2020, 12:22   #12480
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I also read somewhere that Gavaskar wants KL Rahul to keep wickets in the Tests so that India can play 5 bowlers! Absolutely ridiculous advice coming from someone of his stature.
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks